Each Time He Chooses The Box Lid

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on September 6, 2009

A little part of me dies inside :(

IMG_3910 copy

I’ve even gone as far as ‘planting’ his bed in his favourite sleeping spots!!!

Sadly, I think that only pushes him further and further away.

Then when Eric and I got home today from our excursion, I snuck up to the window really quiet to see if I could catch him sleeping on it.

Nope. He was lying a couple feet away from it.

*sigh

Maybe I can use it as a chair cushion, lol.

Jess September 6, 2009 at 7:38 pm

Our cats do the same thing! Actually, we put the beds in ‘hiding’ places … like under a side table … and we’ve found them sleeping in them then. Otherwise, we just leave out blankets and they curl up on those. :) What if you try putting the box on the bed? or vice versa?

Michelle Gay September 6, 2009 at 7:43 pm

That’s really funny.

Shannon September 6, 2009 at 7:43 pm

Angela, this made me laugh out loud. I have spent so much money on cat beds that I would enjoy sleeping in myself! They still choose the shoe box, the couch, the middle of the floor…instead! Same goes for toys…a simple ball of aluminum foil or a shoe lace will suffice. Silly cats!

Claire September 6, 2009 at 7:56 pm

My kids(kitties) are the same way.Thewy love to lay on paper and plastic bags,too.I’m just glad they use their litter boxes.hehe…cc

Pam September 6, 2009 at 8:13 pm

We have found the same thing out about our cats…the cheaper the toys, etc. the better they like it…easy keepers that way…lol!!!

Sana September 6, 2009 at 8:27 pm

Sketchie!! Maybe he will want it if he sees you sleeping in it!!!

Angi September 6, 2009 at 8:27 pm

My cat loves plastic water bottle caps. Ignores the other toys. She also enjoys cheerios, when droppped by my husband.

My cats bed is wherever I am….which is sometimes cute and sometimes annoying.

Julia September 6, 2009 at 8:35 pm

LOL! My cat does the exact same thing!

So do my dogs, come to think of it… ;)

Lori September 6, 2009 at 8:58 pm

Try rubbing some catnip on it. That’s how I got my cat to love her bed!

Catch Me If You Can September 6, 2009 at 9:00 pm

Awwww. Don’t they say that kids would rather play with the box then the toys in it?

Kristin (Kristins Nibbles) September 6, 2009 at 9:13 pm

My cats do funny things like that too, one of them likes to sleep in the SINK! lol

Menden (Skinny Menny) September 6, 2009 at 9:18 pm

Too funny! Of course, my cat does the same thing. And she also likes to steal the dog’s bed. I did catch her on her cat bed one night at about 2am when I got up to go to the bathroom…but I may have just dreamt it ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2009 at 9:21 pm

haha Sketchie always sleeps on the end of our bed so last night we put his new bed at the bottom and what does he do? He slept on Eric’s STOMACH in protest! lmao

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2009 at 9:21 pm

He wants nothing to do with it apparently!

Amanda September 6, 2009 at 9:49 pm

Something about those box lids. My cat likes pieces of paper, yes single sheets of paper! Odd creatures : )

kristin September 6, 2009 at 10:12 pm

Hahaha – This post just made my night! I am honestly laughing out loud right now!!!

Jolene September 6, 2009 at 10:20 pm

Haha! That’s cute!

Julia September 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm

Buying cat beds is definitely the most futile concept. I’ve had a number of cats and none of them ever slept on the beds that we bought them, even when we put them in their usual sleeping spots. They would full on change spots to avoid sleeping on the bed.
Sketchie brings a huge smile to my face – too cute!

Amanda @ Panda Lunch September 6, 2009 at 11:46 pm

My cat prefers to lay on freshly laundered clothes, towels, pieces of paper, whatever is lying around, I gave up on cat beds years ago, LoL, they are just funny little creatures! Sketchie is too cute! I’ve always wanted a bengal, they are just gorgeous!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2009 at 11:50 pm

Thanks for sharing your own stories…I’m glad I have this support group here! haha

Its funny, when I bought it there wasn’t a doubt in my mind that Sketchie would use it..(naieve first time cat owner!!!) but Eric said he didn’t think he’d use it ;)

Eat, Live, Love, Dream September 6, 2009 at 11:50 pm

My dogs have the same bed! Except they don’t use it all the time either! hah! Maybe that bed really isn’t all that comfy:)

[email protected] RunningAroundNormal September 7, 2009 at 12:37 am

Cats are so funny like that! My Clarabelle LOVES paper balls, boxes, etc.. but doesn’t give a crap about toys I buy her.

Katerina September 7, 2009 at 12:55 am

This completely captures the spirit of cats. So funny.

Bree September 7, 2009 at 1:26 am

oh yes…we even bought Ruffian a HEATED cat bed…she checked it out once or twice but apparently doesn’t choose things based on cost :-P

Marina September 7, 2009 at 1:36 am

Cats like hidden and high places. Maybe you could try putting the bed somewhere higher? My cats always slept in high places :D
And try to put something in the bed with yours and sketchie’s smell. Like your t-shirt, or he’s toy. That helps too.

One Year No Diets! September 7, 2009 at 8:34 am

LOL! My cats sleep in boxes, in the closet on my beach towels, on the chair in front of the computer, in empty bags leftover from recent trips…I’ve never even tried to get them to sleep in a cat bed because I doubt they would!

kelly September 7, 2009 at 9:02 am

My cats do the same thing. When we buy them nice new toys, they play with the packaging and ignore the $4 toy!

Robin September 7, 2009 at 10:36 am

Aren’t cats so delightful? Actually I’ve lucked out that my cats love all the beds we’ve gotten them but Pilot does love to sleep in boxes and bags.

[email protected] September 7, 2009 at 12:31 pm

Too cute, I don’t have a cat but my friends cat acts like that!

Learning To Relove September 8, 2009 at 2:27 am

Hi! I have been reading for a long time but I don’t think I’ve ever commented!!! Oops! Anywho, my cat refuses to sleep in a bed too! It’s so silly but I just can’t get over the fact that I really want to figure out a way to get her in it. Maybe we just can’t force these things. Ohhh and what kind of cat is your little guy? I absolutely ADORE him…most beautiful cat I have ever seen in my life. Scout’s honor! :)