Food Blog, What I Ate: Day 1

Happy September 1st! :)

Reflecting back on the month of August, I had a lot of fun events going on in my life.

Weddings, birthdays, bachelorette parties, family get togethers, anniversaries, etc! Through all of the fun, I also started to throw frequent parties in my mouth. As a result, my pants have been feeling a bit tight lately!

So as we begin a new month and a new season, I decided to rein things in a little and have my pants fitting a bit better. My goal is to stick to a very healthy 3 meals and 2-3 snacks per day and eliminate the extra mindless snacking that has been going on for some time.

Each day I will do one long recap of the day’s eats. I think it will be more helpful if I put everything into one post so you can see it at a glance.

Let’s begin! :)

~~~~~

What I Ate: Day 1

Breakfast: 8am

img 3273 thumb   Food Blog, What I Ate: Day 1

Green Monster (kale, hemp milk, coconut oil, prickly pear, chia, ice)

Snack: 10:30am

1 cup of Nature’s Path Flax Plus cereal, 1/2 serving of Glo-nola, and 1/2 cup of hemp milk:

img 3290 thumb   Food Blog, What I Ate: Day 1

I was super busy doing computer work and I didn’t break until 1:45pm for lunch. I was starving! I could have stopped around 12:30, but I had a great momentum going and wanted to finish what I was working on. I replied to about 100 emails that were starred in my inbox for the past 6 weeks!

I immediately had a Clementine before I prepped lunch to tame the tummy.

img 3299 thumb   Food Blog, What I Ate: Day 1

My second tea of the day: Fennel and Chai Green Tea.

img 3291 thumb   Food Blog, What I Ate: Day 1img 3293 thumb   Food Blog, What I Ate: Day 1

I hated Fennel at first because it tastes a bit like black licorice, but now I am used to the taste. Fennel is supposed to help curb hunger too. Last night I had some when I was looking for late night snacks, and it helped tie me over until bedtime. It doesn’t make a huge difference but it helps a bit.

Lunch: 1:45pm

For lunch I had a can of this no salt added Black Bean organic soup by Health Valley:

img 3303 thumb   Food Blog, What I Ate: Day 1img 3304 thumb   Food Blog, What I Ate: Day 1

I have been eating this soup for about a year now and I am still shocked every time I taste it. It is crazy how ingrained we are to having heavily salted soups. If you want to give yourself a salt wake up call, try this soup- but be warned! I added some paprika for more flavour because it certainly lacks it.

img 3312 thumb   Food Blog, What I Ate: Day 1

I dipped a high protein/high fibre pita in it and it was divine!

img 3305 thumb   Food Blog, What I Ate: Day 1

This lunch was gobbled up very fast. I t wasn’t enough to satisfy my hunger though!

img 3320 thumb   Food Blog, What I Ate: Day 1

I also had 4 Dar-vida crackers and some cantaloupe that was on its’ last legs.

img 3329 thumb   Food Blog, What I Ate: Day 1  img 3326 thumb   Food Blog, What I Ate: Day 1

It was sooo juicy!

img 3322 thumb   Food Blog, What I Ate: Day 1

I could have eaten more food, but thankfully after my tea my hunger signal finally traveled to my brain. It seriously does take me 20 minutes to tell that I am full- hate that!

img 3314 thumb   Food Blog, What I Ate: Day 1

Afternoon Snack: 4-5pm

Broken into two parts…

Pre-workout:

img 3330 thumb   Food Blog, What I Ate: Day 1

The workout:

• Treadmill hill interval workout (alternated 5 mins @ 4.2, 5 mins @ 4.0) all at incline 15%
  • Duration: 40 mins

Post-workout:

Clementine and 4 Dar-vidas.

img 3295 thumb   Food Blog, What I Ate: Day 1 img 3328 thumb   Food Blog, What I Ate: Day 1

and some Mary’s crackers right before I made dinner because I was fading fast…

img 3332 thumb   Food Blog, What I Ate: Day 1

Dinner: 7pm

Tonight for dinner I tried to recreate the amazing bowl I had at Fresh the other day!

I came pretty darn close too! :) It was delicious!! The only thing I didn’t have was the tofu. I used Chickpeas for my protein instead.

img 3340 thumb   Food Blog, What I Ate: Day 1

Vegan Chickpea Coconut Curry

Stir-fry the following:

• 2 cups baby carrots
  • 2 peppers
  • 1 zucchini
  • 3 T plain soy yogurt
  • 1-2 t curry powder (to taste)
  • 1 heaping T of coconut oil

Heat chickpeas and brown rice and serve the stir-fry over top.

img 3341 thumb   Food Blog, What I Ate: Day 1

This was AWESOME! Yummy in my tummy!

My serving had about 2 cups veggies, 1 cup chickpeas, 1/2 cup brown rice.

With rose water ;)

img 3347 thumb   Food Blog, What I Ate: Day 1 img 3348 thumb   Food Blog, What I Ate: Day 1 img 3350 thumb   Food Blog, What I Ate: Day 1

Of course I went back for seconds of the veggies (x2!)

img 3355 thumb   Food Blog, What I Ate: Day 1

Oh this was so lovely. Definitely a keeper.

Dessert was some left over Glo-nola (about 1/4 cup) (I’m officially obsessed!):

img 3362 thumb   Food Blog, What I Ate: Day 1

PM Snack

I had this orange for a snack and about 1/3 cup Glo-nola.

img 3363 thumb   Food Blog, What I Ate: Day 1

So there you have it! My first day of official food blogging. :)

~~~~~

Just a word about the FRESH meet-up! My email was down on the weekend so please email me at ohsheglows@gmail.com if you would like to be apart of the Fresh blog meet-up!

Have a great night!

angela signature thumb1   Food Blog, What I Ate: Day 1

Shannon September 1, 2009

I hope your day turned around after such a crazy morning. Sounds like my day yesterday!

Your photography is beautiful! A healthy day of eating, and beautifully documented.

Renee September 1, 2009

Hi Angela!

Your day looks delicious! I love the food blogging! Your healthy meals inspire me! Thanks for sharing :)

Bree September 1, 2009

haha Chia Tea? :-P Get those cute little chia seeds out of your mind!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 1, 2009

LOL Didn’t even see that one!!! Oh chia how I love thee

Denise September 1, 2009

I can not WAIT to try that stirfry! It is def on my menu for next week!

Jenny September 1, 2009

Angela you rocked day 1 of your eating challenge! and can I just tell you how much I am LOVING your new lens?! your pictures are so profesh!

Kristen @ Simply Savor September 1, 2009

looks like your first day of food blogging was a success! that vegan chickpea coconut curry looks delicious! have a great night :)

kelly September 1, 2009

Thank you for showing what you eat, it really helps someone just starting on this journey to health and balance! Keep up the great work, I really enjoy your blog.

Run Sarah September 1, 2009

That chickpea dish sounds awesome – I definitely have to try it out!

Kath September 1, 2009

Just wanted to thank you for your Fresh report the other day. I’m visiting Toronto this weekend, and there’s a Fresh just down the street from the hotel. I made plans to meet a colleague there tomorrow. It will be great to have something, er, Fresh! after traveling all day.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 1, 2009

Oh you will love it!!!

Jenna September 1, 2009

I had the best cantaloupe today too. Must be prime season!

Coconut curry, swoon… I can’t wait to try this!

Kristin September 1, 2009

It takes me 20 minutes to get full too! Tea does the trick though, so does guzzling water and distracting myself!!

Your eats look good, and that dish looks fantastic- I may have to try it!!

xo
K

*Andrea* September 1, 2009

so glad you made this post!!!! your daily eats look delicious :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 1, 2009

Great food pics, wow, looks like alot of work which is why I never show everything I ate, just some highlights. Rock on girl, if you can keep takin the pics, I can keep watchin’ !

Mara @ What's for Dinner? September 1, 2009

Man, your pictures are GORGEOUS with that lens!!! Im officially jealous :)

Tay September 1, 2009

I can totally tell you’re using a new lens and/or your awesome flash. Your pictures look stunning. I’m with you on the whole new month, new start thing! I have a huge problem with mindless snacking as well!

Paige @ Running Around Normal September 1, 2009

Ok first of all, I’m so jealous of the pictures your new lens takes! How can a can of soup look like that?! lol

I just bought some of those soups, hopefully I’ll enjoy them :)

Brittany September 1, 2009

I’ve missed you posting all of your meals throughout the day! It was my favorite part of your blog so I’m really happy you decided to start it back up!
Thanks!!

Deva (Voracious Vorilee) September 1, 2009

Your day looks fabulously tasty!

Lainie September 1, 2009

Wonderful eats! So nice and healthy. Can’t wait til you ship to the US – dying to try out the Glo-nola, amongst many other things you talk about!

leianna September 1, 2009

Thats a lot of great eats for the first day, can’t wait to watch the rest of the month!

Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now September 1, 2009

I think it would be interesting to see, after blogging every meal and snack for a few days, if you think it changed what you ate at all. That would be interesting to reflect on.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 1, 2009

I totally agree!! I will definitely reflect on my thoughts in my next posts.

angieinatlanta September 1, 2009

Wow! Your food pics are so beautiful!

Valerie (College Girl Eats) September 1, 2009

Wow, Angela! That new camera lens must really be working out because these pictures rock! Looks like a great day of eats!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 1, 2009

Thanks for the comments about the pics…the wonders of technology! lol

Nicole September 1, 2009

I LOVE that green monster photo!!

Nikki September 2, 2009

So I’ve had a box of Fennel tea in my cupboard for a while now and still haven’t tried it…I bought it when I was having some tummy issues as I read it was good for digestion. Do you mix both the fennel and the green tea?
Also, you’ve inspired me to try Chia seeds…I bought some at Costco the other day. I prepped a salad to take to work for lunch tomorrow and sprinkled some on top…we’ll see!

Kris September 2, 2009

Great job on documenting your eats of the day! Looks yum! :) And I must say; holy shiz I’m lovin your pics. That lens is fantastic! I’m definately jealous, in a good kind of way. :)

Madelin @ What is for Breakfast September 2, 2009

Food for Day 1 looked yum! I’m looking forward to watching your progress – good luck!

Susan September 2, 2009

I eat very similarly to you! Lots of snacks throughout the day instead of three big meals. It works for me :)

Good point about the no-salt soups. I notice the same thing everytime I add no-salt beans to salads.

samantha September 2, 2009

love the glass bowl – and the pics are great!

Brandi C. September 2, 2009

You Glo Girl! I love seeing people with great mindsets about health and actually putting it into practice. Thanks for the amazing meal ideas Ange! You Rock =]

Shannon (The Daily Balance) September 2, 2009

when is the meet up? I am going to be in toronto (for the first time!) fri-sun and I’d love to try and make it (if that’s when it is!)

CHRISTINE September 2, 2009

I am SO loving this – a week of blogging what you eat – Fab idea!

Also, your camera lens had me looking up cameras online last night, lol.

I LOVE all of your dishes – where ever do you shop?

Have a Blessed Day!

Abie September 2, 2009

Yummy! I will be trying that curry recipe. I love seeing a days food in one post!

Claire September 2, 2009

I seriously need to start stir frying my veggies.I’ve been using my George Forman grill everyday for a long time.It’s really great, but I need to get out of the rut.hehe….Besides,yours looks so yummy!

Sally September 2, 2009

Your photographs are so lovely!

Do you enjoy being able to eat your meals when you want now that you work at home? I work in a psychology research lab and when am meeting with subjects, we don’t break for lunch until 1:30 (and I eat breakfast at 7:30). It seems like it would be nice to eat when I’m hungry instead of when I have the chance, but I guess it is like that for a lot of people at work.

I can’t imagine how difficult it is for food bloggers who photograph their meals every day, but it is fun to see a day of Ange’s eats.

brandi September 2, 2009

that curry dish sounds great! I love curries with brown rice – such a good combo.

i’ll have to look for that tea. I love licorice, so fennel tea sounds right up my alley :)

Meghan-Rose September 2, 2009

Hi Angela! I’ve been reading OhSheGlows for a couple months now and I noticed you’re really into baby carrots. I read an interesting article on GirlieGirlArmy (http://girliegirlarmy.com/blog/20090707/bad-bad-baby-carrots/) and wanted to share it with you. I used to love eating baby carrots b/c they’re so tiny and convenient, but apparently they’re dipped in chlorine and since they’re bred to grow faster and ripen quickly they don’t hold as much beta carotene of a regular carrot! I had no idea. Just passing the word along :)

Justine September 2, 2009

Wow, you eat a lot of carbs and look how fabulous you look!! I feel like if I ate that many I would blow up!! I analyze way to much sorry. Kinda liberating to see that you eat that and look so great.

I have a great coconut curry chickpea recipe on my blog…http://peanutbutteroats.blogspot.com/2009/07/raw-or-unraw.html

~Justine

Amy September 2, 2009

Hey Angela, this is totally a suggestion, but apples take a reeeeally long time to digest, so I wouldn’t suggest eating one pre-workout. After workout would be fine, though!

Page 1 of 212»