50 Cent All Natural Homemade Energy Gel

You might recall that I purchased a Clif Shot for my 10 mile race last month. I brought it along with me ‘just in case’. I didn’t end up using it because I found that the Gatorade did me just fine in that race.

IMG_3074

I couldn’t really see myself buying these on a regular basis because they are quite over-priced for what it is. At running room, they work out to be about $2 for a single or $1.35 per for a box of 24.

After checking out the ingredients, I figured I could make a homemade version of the Clif Shot for much less.

Ingredients: Organic brown rice syrup, Cocoa powder, chocolate liquor, natural flavours, sea salt, potassium citrate, magnesium oxide.

Calories: 100

Here is what I mixed together for the homemade version:

Ingredients:

• Just less than 2 T Organic brown rice syrup
  • 1 T carob powder
  • Tiny pinch of sea salt

Calories: 110

Directions: Spoon a tablespoon of organic brown rice syrup into a plastic baggy. Next, spoon the carob powder and salt in. Zip the baggie closed and then take your fingers and kneed the ingredients so they blend.

To Use: Bite the corner off the bag and squeeze gel into your mouth. Easy as that!

Probably one of the least photogenic foods I have put on this site.

IMG_3068

Bring it with you on any run or workout over 1 hour where you feel like you will need a boost. I had mine at mile 6 yesterday. It was the first time I have ever had any sort of energy gel, but I really loved the taste of this one. The carob powder is key- I felt like I was eating chocolate fudge or something. Now the only thing lacking in my homemade version is the potassium and the magnesium, but my guess is that if you properly fuel yourself before workouts this won’t be a major issue.

The best part of all is the cost of the homemade version. It works out to being just 50 cents per ‘shot’ vs. $1.35-2 for the Clif shot.

I was quite pleased to find that my stomach wasn’t upset after taking it either. I had a noticeable surge in energy after mile 6 that carried me another 3 miles. I will definitely be bringing this homemade gel with me on future long runs.

~~~~~

Yesterday was also quite a productive day on the business front! I got several Glo Bar orders done…

IMG_3029

I also worked a lot on the Glo Bakery shopping cart. We are using Zen Cart for our shopping cart provider and I am really liking it so far. It is quite user-friendly once you figure out where everything is and the support forum is super helpful. Eric tells me that anytime a company makes their software open-source (no purchase required), you will find a huge network of people willing to help others out. Zen Cart = 2 thumbs up.

Check out the shopping cart homepage so far:

[sorry I lost this image guys!]

How fun is that?! I’m such a proud mama. :D I can’t believe how close we are to shipping to the US!!!! It is finally coming together guys!

On that note, I am going to get to work this morning on it some more and package up my orders to be shipped out tomorrow.

Last night Eric and I had anniversary dinner #1 and it was fabulous (pics to come). I think we are going to Fresh today for lunch and it feels like Christmas. hahaha! Stay tuned for all the pics.

Enjoy your day!

Angela_Signature

Change does not necessarily assure progress, but progress implacably requires change. Education is essential to change, for education creates both new wants and the ability to satisfy them.
-Henry Steele Commager

1 Ashley August 30, 2009

I can’t wait to buy Glo Bars!

2 Chloe (Naturally Frugal) August 30, 2009

I am SO excited for you to start shipping to the US! I can already tell that Glo Bars are going to become my new go-to snack and will be especially useful while at work.

3 Cait (Cait's Plate) August 30, 2009

AH! I want to dive into those Glo Bars and swim around! They look so amazing!!

Yay for making your own energy gel! That’s such a good idea!

4 Allison August 30, 2009

Such a great idea to make your own shots! :D

I will definitely give these a try when I work up to some more mileage.

The Glo Bakery site is looking awesome!

5 Lizzie August 30, 2009

I don’t like the taste of anything Clif-related, so these shots look like a great idea! can’t wait for US shipping to become active!

6 Run Sarah August 30, 2009

What an awesome idea – I’ll have to try that!

7 Carla August 30, 2009

I don’t understand . . . the gel you made cost you $.50? Is that because of the carob powder? I know carob is expensive. How did you determine the cost? Thanks!

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 1, 2009

Nope it’s because of the organic brown rice syrup…its expensive- $8 CAD here.

9 Sherri August 30, 2009

thank you for sharing your recipe! i’m spending a fortune on cliff products during my marathon training. so excited to know you’ll be shipping to the us. i can’t wait to try your glo bars!!

10 Mat Lock February 8, 2015

Hi,

I also make homemade gels including crushed Chia seed, honey and lemon juice (plus a few scrapes of the rind too). They’re really palatable and easy top handle (same idea with the zip lock bag). I was really pleased to see this alternative – its easy to get bored of one thing; no matter how yummy it is ;-) Happy running!

11 Jenna August 30, 2009

Hey Angela!

I am a new reader, I found your blog from one of the many other food blogs I read :) I love it so far, can’t wait to read up a little more.

I just started my own blog, so I hope you will stop by sometime! http://www.foodieinthecity.wordpress.com.

Enjoy your Sunday!

12 Ellen August 30, 2009

ran my first race today (just a 5k), and about 10 min before it started i ate 2 honey taffy candies as my breakfast was wearing off. i think they definitely helped, because it was honestly the best run of my life. i was fast (for me), had a perfect rhythm, barely broke a sweat, and was smiling the whole time. i think any source of simple sugars is effective– all that matters is the ease of delivery! i can’t say i will ever be tempted to try these fancy goo packets. it just seems like a lot of money for pure sugar.

13 VeggieGirl August 30, 2009

Love your recipes, always!!

CAN’T WAIT UNTIL YOU CAN SHIP TO THE U.S.!! :-D

14 Ellen August 30, 2009

i just thought of this: what about honey packets? i am not ashamed to admit that i always take 2 at coffee shops when i only ever need one. they are self contained like individual ketchup & mustard packets, and would be easy to rip open during a run.

15 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 30, 2009

That rocks that you made your own energy gel! In all my years of running, I’ve never thought to do that. I normally don’t do the gels and stuff, but this is a good tip to file away.

How awesome that you’re getting your zencart going! Wow creating a website and an e-commerce one at this is a total PITA! I am so impressed you are doing it by yourself!!!! I couldn’t even figure out wordpress properly and use blogger. The thing is, I actually have a couple degrees and consider myself fairly competent on a computer and am a super heave internet user, but anything related to code, programming, HTML, Style sheets, all that crap just really annoys me and I waste so much time and get so frustrated at it. Rock on for makin’ it happen!!!!!!

16 Pam August 30, 2009

Congrats Angie on all your new adventures!

Happy Dining!

17 allijag August 30, 2009

You ALWAYS have a trick up your sleeve – great idea for the homemade gu! :)

18 Courtney August 30, 2009

I am so happy Zen cart has been a success for you! I can’t imagine how stressful that could be if it wasn’t! Love your home-made Clif goo :)

19 mountain girl August 30, 2009

Angela,
I am really loving your site now that I’ve been reading it daily for a couple of weeks! My favorite posts are when you develop some new raw experiment- like today’s energy gel, or the vegan chia pudding you had a while ago. I really love your ideas, and your site has become the first I check when I log in! Thanks!

20 Maureen August 30, 2009

I cannot find the link to your bakery anymore is it just me are is it missing from the blog?

21 Kristen @ Simply Savor August 30, 2009

wow i looove the homemade energy gel idea!! and congrats on being so close to shipping to the U.S. I know i personally can’t wait especially after trying one of your Glo Bars at the Healthy Living Summit! have a great day :)

22 Lainie August 30, 2009

I can’t wait to buy some of your glo bars! They just look so amazing. And you are genius for creating your own shot blocks; so talented in the kitchen!!!

23 Marilyn August 30, 2009

Your Glo Bakery site is looking awesome! And thanks for sharing the energy gel recipe. Those things can start to add up :) I use the Cliff Shot Blocks and like them a lot… do you have a recipe for those too? :P

24 Liz August 30, 2009

What a cool idea to make your own gels! That is such a super money saver! Where do you get brown rice syrup though?

25 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope August 30, 2009

I love how you think of creating your own power shot! I would have never thought of that. And it actually sounds pretty tasty as well as effective. Great idea!

xxoo
Heather

26 Sarah August 30, 2009

That is such a good idea!

27 Whitney August 30, 2009

You are so smart! One question: where do you store the baggie with the gel in it?

28 Kristin August 30, 2009

No kidding gels are expensive! What a great alternative!

29 A August 30, 2009

Ellen, I bet straight honey could be a good alternative, abnd certainly cheaper if you’re just grabbing an extra (nothing wrong with that, imo).
Angela doesn’t use honey in any of her glo recipes, though, to keep them vegan-friendly.

30 Kristie August 30, 2009

Hahah I love that you made your own energy shots. Those packaged gel shots always seemed kind of weird to me but a homemade version definitely sounds like a good idea. Especially when it’s fudge-flavoured of course ;)

31 Nicole August 30, 2009

That energy shot recipe was immediately bookmarked and will be used on my next long run! Thanks for sharing!

32 muffy August 31, 2009

hmmm i think you used the wrong picture here for zen cart lol.
love the energy shot recipe! what a great idea!
-muffy

33 Tay August 31, 2009

LOL you sound like me – find a food/food place you love and keep repeating!!!

34 Alyssa August 31, 2009

You are totally going to need more people to help you bake your products…I CANNOT wait until you can ship to the US!!!! I literally want one of EVERY bar and muffin/bread that you make! I am in my final year of college and healthy snacks and foods are not the easiest to come by so I plan on you supplying me through my last year with healthy snacks!

35 Quisha August 31, 2009

i love the CLIF products. i buy clif bars around $1.59 each and then those shots are about 99 cents are my local Whole Foods. So I gave them a try and I love them. I run around work like a bat out of hell so these come in handy when I don’t have time to make a coffee :) my brother is a basketball player and he uses their “shot blocks” i heard these give you energy through the workout. they’re just gummy chews. i haven’t tried them yet but i think they’re a better choice over the “shots” price wise.

36 Dana (www.eatsleepgetfit.com) September 3, 2009

The last pic of the ‘shopping cart’ shows up as the menu from Fresh. Just wanted to let you know!!

Sorry we had some wonky things happen after we switched domains!

37 Rachel September 18, 2009

Got the stuff on my trip to Whole Foods this week! Woo!!

38 Melissa March 27, 2010

Check out this link to make your own and get info on refillable tubes (vs baggies). http://www.summitpost.org/article/239378/home-made-power-gels-energy-for-less.html

I’ve also seen a molasses-honey blend that states they use molasses for magnesium. I’m using a honey-molasses-salt-cacao powder blend with a little water in a 2 oz bottle. Cost per 1 oz ‘shot equivalent’ is about 20 cents, using all organic, bulk ingredients. Great on last 22 mile run. Will add Lundberg brown rice syrup to the blend on next long run, as it metabolizes more slowly than honey and molasses for sustained energy.

39 G July 2, 2012

Your list of wraps looks identical to the menu items offered at Fresh, a very popular vegan restaurant in Toronto

40 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 3, 2012

Hey G, That picture is not correct and yes you are right it’s a fresh menu (I frequent there a lot!). For some reason, the post was pulling the wrong image. I will fix it now. Thanks for letting me know.