Important Dates: Your Help Wanted

Hello!

I am creating something special for Eric’s anniversary gift and I need all of your help! :)

I am making a list of important dates in the news between August 31, 2008 and August 31, 2009.

Anything that was a big headline maker! It can be politics…weather…celebrity (MJ, anyone?), etc.

If you can think of something, please submit it below along with the date, month, and year it happened.  It can be a positive or negative event (I’d like a nice mixture of both, really).

Thanks so much!!!! I figure between all of us, we can cover most of it, haha. ;) This will be a fun trip down memory lane.

Angela_Signature

1 Leah @ Simply Fabulous August 27, 2009

I’d have to think about the headlines in the news, but an idea for a more personal touch would be the date you guys moved into your new home, the celebration of your engagement last December, your races, your honeymoon – there could be oddles of things!

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 27, 2009

Yup Ive got that part covered…I have ‘our favs list’, ‘what we did’, ‘what we own’ etc. I’d like a ‘In the news’ as well :)

3 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 27, 2009

I’ll start it off with

MJ’s death: June 25, 2009

Barack Obama became president- Jan. 20, 2009 (is this correct? I found 19th or 20th…)

4 Morgan August 27, 2009

Ted Kennedy’s death: 8/25/09

5 clare August 27, 2009

September 15 2008 – Lehman Brothers files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection

November 4 2008 – United States presidential election, 2008: Barack Obama is elected the 44th President of the United States

January 15 2009 – US Airways Flight 1549, en route to Charlotte/Douglas International Airport from New York’s LaGuardia Airport, ditches in the Hudson River off Manhattan. All 155 aboard survive. The plane is apparently brought down by a flock of Canadian Geese.

June 11 2009 – The outbreak of the H1N1 influenza strain, commonly referred to as “swine flu”, is deemed a global pandemic,[54] becoming the first condition since the Hong Kong flu of 1967–1968 to receive this designation.

Hope these help!

6 Bree August 27, 2009

ummm…Roger Federer beats Pete Sampras’ record of the most grand slam titles by winning his 15th grand slam title at Wimbledon…July 5, 2009

7 Brandi C August 27, 2009

July 4th, 2009: The Statue of Liberty reopened it’s crown to tourists for the first time since 9/11!
I know this bc I went to NYC this summer and it was a big deal.
Note: The crown means being able to go inside and walk up all the steps to the very top of the torch.

8 Leah August 27, 2009

Obama was elected Nov 4th, 2008. Inaugurated on the 20th of Jan.

Jan 15th, the Hudson River plane landing

Swine Flu??

farrah and MJ on June 25th.

9 Alexandra August 27, 2009

9/29/08: The Phoenix lander detected snow falling on Mars as reported by NASA.

8/8/08: Summer games in Beijing open

10/14/08: Canadian Prime Minister reelected

12/14/08: At a news conference in Baghdad, a reporter for Al Baghdadia, a Cairo-based satellite television network, hurls his shoes at President Bush and calls him a “dog.” The shoes narrowly miss Bush’s head.

8/4/09: North Korea pardons US journalists

10 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 27, 2009

Awesome, these are great!

11 Chloe August 27, 2009

How about the birth of the Green Monster Movement or Eric’s first GM ;)

Michael Phelps winning the most gold medals (8) by a single individual in the history of the Olympics in Beijing. That might be a week earlier though.

December 12 – The Moon moves into its nearest point to Earth, called perigee, at the same time as its fullest phase of the Lunar Cycle. The Moon appears to be 14% bigger and 30% brighter than the year’s other full moons. The next time these 2 events coincide will be in 2016.

Look up dates in Wikipedia, it has lots of info!

12 Susan August 27, 2009

December 4th – Canada’s Governor General makes a historic (and controversial) move to prorogue Parliament.

13 Sara August 27, 2009

June 1, 2008 – Air France flight en route to Paris from Rio de Janeiro goes down in the Atlantic.

June 29, 2009 – Bernie Madoff sentenced to 150 years in prison for Ponzi scheme.

August 6, 2009 – Sonia Sotomayor confirmed as the first Hispanic Justice on the U.S. Supreme Court.

14 Sara August 27, 2009

Sorry, that first date should have been June 1, 2009.

15 Meaghan August 27, 2009

April 12, 2009 – Captain Phillips was rescued from Somalian pirates

16 Jen August 27, 2009

March 13th, 2008…a lifelong dream was fulfilled when I touched Jon Bon Jovi’s shoulder as he passed me at his concert as the ACC. My husband’s first thought when I jumped over the barricade was “oh crap, I don’t have enough money on me to bail her out of jail if she attacks…” Oh wait…that may only be a monumental event for me…LOL!

17 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 28, 2009