Get Your Glo Back: Immunity Booster Stir-fry

img 2940 thumb   Get Your Glo Back: Immunity Booster Stir fry

Eric and I have both been feeling like we are coming down with something this week. For whatever reason, we have just been feeling a bit tired and not ourselves. I thought tonight would be the perfect night to make an immunity-boosting stir-fry to prevent any worsening of our condition.

This is also a great recipe for the Back To School season. Being in tight quarters with kids and adults can make the healthiest of people feel under the weather. I know when I am cooking with garlic, ginger, lemon, greens, and brightly coloured vegetables I am often feeling back to my old self in no time.

Get Your Glo Back: Immunity Booster Stir-Fry

Ingredients:

• 3 tomatoes, chopped
  • red, orange, yellow pepper, chopped
  • Spinach
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 1/2 T lemon juice
  • 2 T EVOO
  • 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
  • 1/4 t fresh ginger, minced
  • Splash of Red wine vinegar
  • Very small pinch of cayenne pepper (only if you like spice!)
  • Fresh or dried parsley (to taste)
  • Grain: Noodles, lentils, rice, etc (I used whole wheat pasta)

Directions: Chop up all veggies and throw into large skillet. Add sauce ingredients (lemon, EVOO, garlic, ginger, cayenne, vinegar) and stir well. Cook on low-medium for 15-20 minutes and serve over a bed of grains.

The veggies, before adding sauce ingredients:

img 2925 thumb   Get Your Glo Back: Immunity Booster Stir fry

After cooking:

img 2948 thumb   Get Your Glo Back: Immunity Booster Stir fry

The sauce makers:

img 2927 thumb   Get Your Glo Back: Immunity Booster Stir fry

This meal was SO satisfying. Just what the Doctor ordered. I went back for seconds. ;)

img 2942 thumb   Get Your Glo Back: Immunity Booster Stir fry

Mmmmm. I’m already thinking of having this for leftovers tomorrow.

img 2947 thumb   Get Your Glo Back: Immunity Booster Stir fry

Dessert was a healthy serving of Vitamin C!

img 2937 thumb   Get Your Glo Back: Immunity Booster Stir fry

What foods do you like to eat when you feel a cold coming on?

angela signature thumb61   Get Your Glo Back: Immunity Booster Stir fry

Check out where Eric and I are going this weekend for our anniversary. I’ve heard rave reviews from many of you. Does anyone have any recommendations on which location to go to?

Jackie August 27, 2009

I eat a garlic chicken soup when I feel a sickness coming on…its a recipe i found on another site, its a “cold buster” soup. And it works…the garlic really clears up your sinuses!

Mona August 27, 2009

Fresh is great! I’ve been going since the owner started selling her juices out of a small stand on Queen Street. It’s amazing to see how her restaurant has grown!

Anyway, if you feel like dining on a patio, the best location is Queen and Crawford. The patio is really nice. There’s also a park nearby if you fancy going for a little stroll after dinner.

If you feel like sitting all cozy in a booth, Bloor and Spadina is the best location.

Queen and Spadina is a very tiny location, and parking is a bit hard to come by.

Enjoy your dinner!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 27, 2009

Thanks for the review of all three! I guess if the weather is nice we’ll go to Crawford and if its not we’ll go to Bloor. :)

Mona August 27, 2009

Oh, and that stirfy looks marvelous!

Oddly enough, if I feel like I’m coming down with something, I make an immune boosting juice (or buy one from Fresh, which is just across the street from me!).

Mara @ What's for Dinner? August 27, 2009

Looks delicious!!!

Hey OSG readers! I think you may all like my giveaway of organic raw honey! Check it out!

Erika August 27, 2009

I eat tons and tons of oranges and drink my FRS energy drink two times a day. Lots of vitamin C…I also stick to non-sugary foods as I find if I eat too many sweets, it helps the sickies come on…tis the season…ug

Pam (Highway to Health) August 27, 2009

This looks amazing. I may have to try it. I have also felt like I have been coming down with something!

ReinventingSandyB August 27, 2009

Hey Angela, maybe I’m a little biased (I live a few minutes down the road) but I love the Queen/Crawford location. After dinner, if you’re looking to add a little extra something special to the night (always a plus, right?) I recommend strolling over to Swan Restaurant (a few doors down) for some decadent dessert or a romantic glass of wine. They have quite the selection. Overall, a great vibe for a funky/romantic/fun night out with the one you love.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 27, 2009

Thank you….I’m SO excited! haha

Megzz @ Megzz Wins At Life August 27, 2009

Clementines are my favorite!! I really want to go to the food store and buy some right now!!!

Eve August 27, 2009

I’ve been to the Fresh restaurants on both Spadina and on Bloor – both times it was really good, but I ordered the same thing twice! Not sure if you know about it, so… if you’re going out for a fancy dinner, Fressen is a little more upscale than Fresh – all vegan, and totally deelish!
Love your blog!
-Eve

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 27, 2009

Awesome…looks like I can’t go wrong. Yea Ive heard Fressen is awesome too, but I think Fresh’s menu has more options for Eric, hehe. Don’t want to scare the poor boy again like Live did!

Lauren August 27, 2009

Oh my, your stir fry looks so vibrant and stunning. It’s glows, just like you my dear! ;)

Hope you enjoy your anniversary weekend. We are celebrating ours this weekend too, with a trip to Philadelphia! :) Can’t wait.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 27, 2009

Congrats!

Emily (A Nutritionist Eats) August 27, 2009

That looks delicious Angela!!!

Mellissa August 27, 2009

Congrats on your first anniversary! I drink even more water when I a feeling like I am coming down with something and I reach for tons of vitamin C. My poor husband has a cold too, it must be that time of year.

Run Sarah August 27, 2009

I love warm foods like chili or soup when I’m feeling sick. Love all the colourful veggies!

Trish (GirlatGym) August 27, 2009

Oh those veggies look so wonderful and yummy!!

Usually when I am feeling the sniffles coming on I start upping my vitamin C, I eat oranges, and I usually start popping some Cold Eeze tablets.

Lizzie August 27, 2009

Ummm . . you just beat my salmon mornay I made tonight! That looks so good and good for you!

Courtney August 27, 2009

Mmmm I can’t wait to get home from my trip to make this stir fry, it looks delish!
I make a “Super Immunity Soup” which includes tons of spinach, garlic, onion and white beans along with a few other things and it makes me feel the health coming out of my pores! I have the recipe on my blog.
Courtney
Adventures in Tri-ing

Jess (Fit Chick in the City) August 27, 2009

That looks so pretty! I usually have an extra dose of vitamin C and usually in the form of an orange colored fruit. Otherwise, I try to get a little extra vitamin B, cause I’m convinced it helps boost my mood. Even if its not true, my belief has a placebo effect.

Allison August 27, 2009

That stir-fry looks amazing, can’t wait to try it!
I go for the “old-fashioned” chicken noodle soup when I start getting sick. I’ve also been known to down an entire carton of OJ in less than 2 days. And in the case of a sore throat (which is usually the first symptom to hit me) I keep a bag of cough drops or Lifesavers in my purse and a box of popsicles in the freezer.
Probably not the healthiest of strategies, really, but it’s more of a psychological comfort.

Andrea August 27, 2009

Hi!
I’m a longtime reader but I’ve never posted a comment before. Just wanted to chime in and say that I’ve been to the Queen & Crawford Fresh and it was amazing! Its a bit more out of the fray than the one on Spadina, and I haven’t been to the one on Bloor. Enjoy and have fun:) Your pasta dish looks divine by the way!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 27, 2009

Thank you! I keep hearing the Crawford one is excellent. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 27, 2009

I love cooking with peppers and greens and ginger and oranges. I don’t really cook it though, we’re more on the raw side of things over here, but anything rainbow-colored helps keep the sickie germs away, doesn’t it. Your food looks great, right up my alley! Of course you know this I’m sure but zinc, echinacea, oscillococcium, extra probiotics, fluid and sleep are your best friends to ward stuff off when you feel it hit. Also, astralgalus root is great, but only preventative; if you’re already sick, it’s not the best idea. Stick with big echinachea dosing. Feel better!

Paige@ RunningAroundNormal August 27, 2009

What a cute idea! I swear, you never cease to surprise! It also looks super yum, and very pretty with all of those colors :) I hope you and Eric are feeling better in no time.

I’ve never heard of Fresh, but it looks good from the website.

Diana August 27, 2009

My mom’s chicken rice soup always makes me feel better!

OSGMOM August 27, 2009

Emergen C works for me everytime I feel like I’m coming down with a cold. It has 1000 mg of Vitamin C. I like the fact that it is in powder form, and I just add it to water. I hope you & Eric don’t get sick for the 1st anniversary celebration!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 27, 2009

HI MOM! :D Miss you!

Sick? No way! I had a Green Monster and immunity boosting stir-fry, haha.

Cait (Cait's Plate) August 27, 2009

I love soups…because they are just so incredibly comforting…but I’m pretty sure if you placed that dish up there in front of me I would be feeling MORE than okay! :)

Cait (Cait's Plate) August 27, 2009

PS – Your mom is so adorable!!

Runeatrepeat August 27, 2009

I love colorful dishes :)

shelly August 27, 2009

My comfort foods when I’m feeling lousy tend to be either peanut butter and honey on whole wheat toast or tomato soup with crackers. So good! I also like to grab an Odwalla superfood juice and a salad for lunch when I’m feeling like I need more nutrients in my life.

Kelly Turner August 27, 2009

smoothies- totally.

Ive been feeling really sick in the mornings and then it goes away through out the day then starts all over again the next day. it probably has something to do with lack of sleep, but who has time for that?

WholeBodyLove August 27, 2009

I tend to revert to my comfort foods (boring eats) when I’m not feeling well. I eat a lot of oats or cereal both with yogurt and berries or other fruit! Another fave is a PB Pita. I take half of a pita and fill it with a couple of spoonfuls of whatever PB I’m feeling and then add some organic strawberry jam…mmmmm I should probably think more about vitamin C and other immune boosters when I am sick rather than what sounds good ;)

Jen August 27, 2009

That stir fry looks incredible! It will definitely be on my “to try” list when I have time to cook again. My go-to food when I’m sick is Lipton chicken noodle soup. Not the healthiest thing ever, but I swear the excessive sodium makes it the only thing I can taste when I’m stuffed up. Add in an unlimited supply of saltines and a generous helping of Canada Dry gingerale and I’m the happiest sick girl in the world :)

Lainie August 28, 2009

Wow – that stirfry looks incredible. I think something must be in the air because I’m sick too :( Hope you’re feeling better…

Anne Marie @ her new weigh August 28, 2009

I’m printing off this recipe as I type. It looks so satisfying and tasty. I was looking for something to make on Sundays (the hubby and I usually make egg/egg white omelets) but this looks so much better!

When I feel a cold coming on, I usually up the oranges and soup. It usually makes me feel better :)

Kristin August 28, 2009

Wow that looks delicious- and healthy! Awesome!
I hope you feel better!!

xo
K

Christine August 29, 2009

I’m going to try this with swiss chard, I’ve got tons from the garden. Yummy.

I wonder if I could make a green monster with it too. :)