It’s All About The Crunch

Our grocery shop this week was high in veggies and fruit! Meat was no where to be found much to Eric’s chagrin. The new rules are if he wants meat he has to cook it. And since he is lazy in the kitchen, he has simply stopped buying it. lol.

img 2629 thumb   It’s All About The Crunch

Another new fruit for my EFE:

img 2623 thumb   It’s All About The Crunch

The Prickly Pear (aka cactus fruit) on left.

img 2625 thumb   It’s All About The Crunch

I also picked up my first coconut. Any idea how to open these?

img 2627 thumb   It’s All About The Crunch

Not shown in these pictures are two bunches of organic kale and 1 large pkg of organic spinach. Eric picked them up for me on his way home last night when he found out my new machines arrrived. :)

I have two new food reviews today!

img 2626 thumb   It’s All About The Crunch

Up first: Salba Smart Organic Blue Corn Chips

This was my first time trying these out after I heard rave reviews about them from a couple readers.

The nutritional stats are excellent!

Some highlights, per serving: 4 grams protein, 7 grams fibre, low in sodium (135 mg), and 0.6 g of Omega 3 Fatty acids. Not too shabby for a ‘chip’.

img 2650 thumb   It’s All About The Crunch

img 2631 thumb   It’s All About The Crunch

My taste review:

• These were crunchy, crispy, and thick- loved the texture!
  • A bit salty for my liking, however they paired nice with my low sodium homemade hummus
  • Delicious blue corn taste

Overall, I LOVED these chips. Eric and I were so hungry after our grocery shop we ripped open the bag and ate a bunch on the drive home. We couldn’t stop eating these!

Up next: Dar-Vida Sesame Whole Wheat Crackers

img 2652 thumb   It’s All About The Crunch

Good nutritional profile: 3 grams protein, 2 grams fibre, 150 mg sodium per 4 large crackers.

img 2653 thumb   It’s All About The Crunch

The only thing I didn’t like about this product was that it was high on packaging. There are 6 packages of 8 crackers. Since I work from home, I don’t really need this kind of grab and go snack, but I could see how it would be really useful for those of you who are looking for a grab and go snack for school or work.

img 2655 thumb   It’s All About The Crunchimg 2657 thumb   It’s All About The Crunch

My taste review:

• Firm and crunchy
  • Light and natural tasting
  • Excellent paired with a dip like hummus, salsa, or bean dip (I tried all 3!)

I am officially addicted to these crackers!!! Mary’s step aside, there is a new cracker in town.

img 2659 thumb   It’s All About The Crunch

They made an excellent afternoon snack yesterday:

img 2758 thumb   It’s All About The Crunch

Well, I best get back to work.

On today’s agenda:

• Working on Shopping cart tool (starting FAQ’s, shipping info, etc)
  • Testing new recipe (and blog it)
  • Test new food processor (gulp!)
  • Glo bar order
  • Go see proof of Eric’s Anniversary gift

Sketchie’s to-dos:

• Sleep
  • Eat
  • Catch and eat bugs
  • Sleep
  • Frap

img 2723 thumb   It’s All About The Crunch

angela signature thumb57   It’s All About The Crunch

Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.
  – Thich Nhat Hanh

Do you ever encounter a smiling stranger on the streets that just makes your day? Or do you ever smile at people and see them brighten up?

Yesterday, I was climbing Murder Hill and I was struggling. I felt like I was running but staying in the same spot because the incline is so steep. Anyways, I was probably grimacing to myself when this stranger passed on his bike (going downhill) and simply gave a sincere and sympathetic smile to me. It kind of made me laugh and totally brightened the rest of the climb. Sometimes a simple smile can change someone’s outlook.

Kelly August 26, 2009

This site is super-helpful…goes through how to drain the coconut water and then crack that puppy open!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 26, 2009

OMG I can use Eric’s DRILL!!!! hahahaha This could be dangerous!
Thanks for the link :)

Jen August 28, 2009

Drill where the eyes (three spots on the top of coconut) and drain out the water – you can try adding this to a GM.
Then get a hammer and go outside. They are messy but fun.

Sarah August 26, 2009

So much produce! It looks amazing! I really like your exotic fruit experiment…I always look at those fruits at the store, but I’m too nervous to try them. You may have changed my mind!

PS…Thanks for commenting on my new blog! You should send me a fitness tip @ FitTipExchange@hotmail.com and I will feature it on the blog!

Andrea (Fit Healthy Fun) August 26, 2009

That is my favorite kind of motivation, Angela! There’s nothing better for a little boost during a run. I posted about a similar experience:

Priyanka August 26, 2009

Coconut! All you need is a lot of frustration to break it open.lol!! Seriously just hit it hard on the ground and the moment you see a rip break it open and collect the water in something!

Or you use a pestle and give it repeated hits and when you see a crack just open it up and collect the water!

If theres any other way I’ll be glad to know but these are the best I know and follow!

leslie August 26, 2009

i followed these instructions and had no trouble: http://www.choosingraw.com/young-coconut-tutorial-for-raw-wednesday-2/

it’s for a young coconut, but i don’t think the process would be too different.

i have a similar rule with groceries and my sister, because she never feels like cooking. i hate wasting food, so i always tell her if she wants me to buy special groceries for her, she has to cook them herself – and then she’ll just eats cereal, so my grocery picks always win. ;)

Leah @ Simply Fabulous August 26, 2009

haha how come Eric has to cook his own meat nowadays?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 26, 2009

Yea, just because I don’t have time to make 2 meals a night anymore!

brandi August 26, 2009

i love blue corn chips!

i hope you have a great morning :)

Lizzie August 26, 2009

Maybe you and Sketchy could swap ‘to do’ lists?

Love your supermarket shop – I am not very good at it. I end up ‘spot shopping’ (picking up random things I need or forgot during the week) and I hate that as I feel really disorganized. This has not been helped by moving to our new apartment that is within walking distance of three supermarkets!! :) I am looking for dragonfruit, but no success yet.

CJ August 26, 2009

I had a woman say ‘good morning’ to me as she passed me on my run this morning. Running in London I’ve never had anyone speak or even smile at me as they run past so it completely surprised me – to the point I didn’t even respond and then she was gone!

-CJ

Pam August 26, 2009

Great looking produce…the colors!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 26, 2009

I was actually just about to blog about a running experience I had yesterday…two random acts of kindness. First, an older woman, probably in her 70s who was out power walking, stopped me to tell me that I looked absolutely fabulous and to keep doing what I was doing. This was on mile 5 of a hilly run while I am pushing 60 lbs worth of stroller & toddler and I sure wasn’t feeling “fabulous”. The other random act was another older lady stopping me to tell my my daughter is beautiful. Obviously, music to a mom’s ears :) I am not one to go around being like “look at me, I’m all that and a bag of chips” but sometimes a stranger saying something nice can do so much good! Too ironic I was just gonna post about this :)

Jenna August 26, 2009

1st of all, I love your blog!

The Darvidas are packaged like that because in Switzerland the school children take a znüeni or 9 am snack. A lot of the children take a little package of Darvidas. It is the perfect size for a little snack.

I saw on youtube – Robyn from Green Smoothie Girl has a video on how to open a young coconut. Good Luck!

Diane, Fit to the Finish August 26, 2009

That’s a ton of produce you’ve got there! How wonderful that we have all these choices.

Love the blue chips too!

Marissa August 26, 2009

I’m glad you mentioned the smiling stranger thing! There’s this sweet, older woman that I pass nearly every morning when I’m out walking or running. She always gets a huge smile on her face and waves at me like we’re old friends. Totally makes my day. :)

Run Sarah August 26, 2009

Too funny – the first paragraph of your post could be written about me & Allen! He has been buying more meat & cheese lately and making it for himself, though we really do eat differently!

Rosey Rebecca August 26, 2009

I smile at people all the time! They probably think I’m crazy!

YogaFab August 26, 2009

Look at all that delicious organic produce. It reminded me that I need to go shopping for some produce myself. And how cute is Sketchie?

Mara @ What's For Dinner? August 26, 2009

Beautiful produce!! I can’t wait to be able to make a produce shopping trip like that

Jess (Fit Chick in the City) August 26, 2009

That’s an interesting question for a NY’er. I would have to say that its rare that a stranger smiles at me. Its a mixed bag of feelings when they do, cause i feel all warm inside sometimes and other times I’m suspicious. But its really fun to smile at others cause it confuses them.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 26, 2009

Oh man I can relate. When I lived in Toronto, I used to be shocked when someone smiled at me. It stopped me in my tracks. In smaller towns I am used to saying hello and most people smiling.

Jo @ Seeking Healthy Balance August 26, 2009

Your shopping looks so vibrant and colourful!

I keep reading about those blue corn chips – will have to see if I can find them in the UK :)

Mellissa August 26, 2009

I often see an older gentleman in the sky ways downtown where I work, and he smiles and says hello to me but… only on some days. My theory is that he says Hi on the days he likes what I am wearing ;) But every time he says hi, it makes me smile! So I have started saying Hi to him if I see him first (no matter what he is wearing)

Ellen @ Peace in Motion August 26, 2009

hummus+salsa+crackers=GOODNESS

Danielle August 26, 2009

Oh how I will grocery shopping. Your purchases are just beautiful… and I love how they’re all meat-free :) As for the smiles, boy do I know what you mean. I wrote a post about it a few days back, the unexpected small acts of kindness by strangers are more than enough to brighten a day (and a tough run). And being happy optimistic in general just makes you healthier. Please check it out if you’d like — http://www.danielleabroad.com/2009/08/two-to-tango-uno-to-yoga.html

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 26, 2009

I saw this post and loved it!

Alisa - Frugal Foodie August 26, 2009

Thanks for the review; Dar-Vida is a new one to me!

Morgan August 26, 2009

Everyone where I live waves and says hello no matter where you are…running, supermarket, a restaurant. It’s still weird to me, but I love it, and it always makes me smile!

Angela, I would love your opinion on my post from this morning. It’s me getting out some frustration, but I am curious to know what you or any of your readers think:

By the way, if you can get your hands on Garden of Eatin’ Red Hot Blues, they are amazing! SPICY blue corn chips!

Anne August 26, 2009

I am blown away at unfriendliness. i get so disappointed when i smile or say hi and am completely ignored. a smile and hello goes a long way. on both ends. and usually, people are so surprised and pleased when you say hello that you can tell they will smile at the next person they encounter. spread the smile!

Robin August 26, 2009

Those crackers look great!

Lizzie August 26, 2009

Forgot to add a smile story. A couple of years ago I was getting off the subway and this guy and his girlfriend were ahead of me. He was carrying a rose in his hand and I assumed it was either for/from her. All of a sudden they approached this elderly woman and he smiled and handed the rose to her and they both walked off. The smile/look on her face made me want to melt into a puddle on the platform – I mean, how nice is that??

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 26, 2009

I love this story!!!

Jenna August 26, 2009

i just found your blog and i really like it, i recently made my own and was would love it if you could check mine out and let me know what you thinkk! you are a really inspiring woman :)

jenna

Morgan (lifeafterbagels) August 26, 2009

Angela

As always you give me inspiration when I’m feeling crappy. I have had the worst last evening and this morning. Your little note about running up murder hill and having a stranger smile at you convinced me I better get out of the house and go for a run myself. Of course the run made me feel better, and I had some smiles from other runners on the path I was on too.

Thank you!

Caroline August 26, 2009

I see so many bloggers who cook completely separate meals for their meat eating husbands. I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who makes my hubby find his own!

Pauline August 26, 2009

Hey Angela, you should try durian as your exotic fruit! Once you get over the smell, it tastes amazing and tastes great in a GM!

I like it when people smile and say hello too, though I’m usually too shy to initiate hellos and smiles. It feels good when people acknowledge you!

Chloe August 26, 2009

I love random smiles. On Lopez Island in the San Juan Islands in the U.S. everyone waves to you. It doesn’t matter if you’re a tourist or local, they wave as they drive by in their cars or on bikes. It’s such a nice gesture and makes me feel so welcome.

Ashley August 26, 2009

Hi Angela! Check out this site: http://www.howtoopenacoconut.com/ Yes someone actually bought the domain name! Make sure you set aside 30 minutes to do it :)

Laura @ Backstage Pass to Health & Happiness August 26, 2009

Smiles are contagious – I very much believe in smiling at strangers and saying “hello” to passersby. Sometimes I am in such a good mood, it feels great to pass it on to others! I really like doing random acts of kindness as well, the story here from Lizzie is very heartwarming.

Jenna Z August 26, 2009

Ahh ha ha ha! I love that one of Sketchie’s to-dos is Frap! We are Corgi people and Corgis are the kings and queens of the frap! And Corgi people celebrate the frap, with t shirts, bumper stickers and many online videos! Long live the Frap!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 27, 2009

LOL T SHIRTS??? No way. I’ve learned about the frap ever since my first puppy! It’s SO cute! Sketchie fraps all the time. His hair all stands on end too and histail poofs out.

Kara August 26, 2009

Your smile story reminded me of one of my own: I was out doing a ten mile run (my first time running that far!) and I was almost done. I was trudging up this long hill and I was thinking about how hot is was getting and how much I wanted to stop. A woman passed me on a bike (she was going downhill) and she smiled at me and said “Good job!”. That small gesture made it so much easier to finish my run and conquer that hill!

MarathonVal August 26, 2009

I think it’s so funny you won’t make Eric meat anymore… haha go Angela!

I still occasionally cook meat for my husband although I prefer not to. It’s not so much that he would care if I didn’t, but that his Greek mom and grandma would think I’m a terrible, horrible wife if I stopped! Any advice??

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 26, 2009

Maybe don’t tell his mom/gandma?? hahaha

Morgan (lifeafterbagels) August 27, 2009

yes I think my in laws think the same thing – terrible GF. I’ll cook meat maybe 2x a week for him. If he really wants it, he’ll just bbq it himself. Do you have a bbq – just send him out himself, men love grilling, and it means less dishes.

lucy August 27, 2009

hey Ange,
i find it really interesting that you don’t cook meat for eric anymore ( are u vegetarian? vegan? i wasn’t 100% sure). i’m really intrigued about his reaction!!! I personally am a health conscious eater and im the kinda gal who loves her fruits and vegies and sweets but is not really keen on meat. However, the people i live don’t really respect this and get annoyed if i don’t use meat, or if i don’t eat the meat dishes. It becomes really frustrating. And im just going to go on a bit of a tangent here too, i but it really gets me that women don’t support eachother in their bid to become healthy. I always buy healthy food when i eat out like sushi or wraps and my friends will react like ” why are you eating to healthy stuff? get some chips?”, as if its a bad thing. Same if i get froyo instead of ice cream of skinny instead of full cream milk in my coffee.
I feel as if just because im a naturally quite thin im not allowed to eat heathily.

Do you feel judged when you ask for dressing on the side or skinny milk or the low fat option?

Thanks :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 27, 2009

Hi Lucy,
I follow a 99% vegan diet. I say 99% because I can’t always be sure what is in my food (e.g., when eating out). I have found some people to be supportive with my healthy eating while others have not been, it just depends. I posted recently abotu a bad restaurant experience that I had where the SERVER was telling me I ate wrong. It is a pretty interesting read.
Eric has slowly adjusted to not having meat. I used to be a vegetarian way back in university and we have slowly been reducing our intake of meat over the years. I am showing him how many awesome things I can cook completely animal product free and he has been quite impressed so far. He still has mea when he goes out to eat or whatnot though. A special treat for him.

You can find the post here: http://ohsheglows.com/2009/08/12/birthday-flop/

Marika August 27, 2009

Usually when I see somebody in the street walking alone and smiling, it makes me think “Why aren’t I smiling?” And then I do get a little smile on my face, but not too big because that might freak people out :-D.

Page 1 of 212»