School Year Resolutions

schoolbus thumb   School Year Resolutions

If you are like me, you have probably noticed an increase in flyers, commercials, and radio advertisements lately…

It’s that time of the year once again…dun, dun, dun…

Back

To

School.

I find there are two main camps regarding Back To School:

Camp 1) No matter how old you are, simply hearing the words Back To School evokes fear, unease, apprehension, and a sudden breakout.

Camp 2) Back To School season (yes, it is a whole season) evokes joy, anticipation, shopping sprees, and a sudden urge to de-clutter, purchase new gadgets, notebooks, pens, and erasers. You are old school, and you love it.

Which camp are you?

Ok, I lied. There are more than 2 camps. I like to think of myself as part of the 3rd camp which is a combination of the first two.

Even though I am now entering my second year of ‘Back-To-School-without-actually-having-to-go-Back-To-School, all of the emotions still flood back to me during Back To School Season (BTSS).

In no particular order:

1) A strong urge to organize and de-clutter

Before:                                                   After:

img 2335 thumb   School Year Resolutions img 2345 thumb   School Year Resolutions

img 2338 thumb   School Year Resolutionsimg 2348 thumb   School Year Resolutions

• Closet cleaning
  • Donating unwanted clothing items to charity
  • Cleaning out my purse/wallet

2) A strong urge to organize and de-clutter my DESK area in particular

Before:                                                   After:

img 2326 thumb   School Year Resolutions img 2668 thumb   School Year Resolutions

• Reading over every piece of paper and keeping what I truly need (i.e., 1% of the crap on my desk)
  • I organize all of my scattered notes and to-do’s onto one new piece of paper and recycle the rest
  • Clean desktop, keyboard, mouse, etc. Ewwwwwww. If you are like me, you wonder how you didn’t see that dust bunny in the back of your keyboard tray (seriously take a look at your own, you know you aren’t perfect either! lol)
  • Cleaning my virtual desktop. One of my tasks today. Can you just believe how out of control this has gotten? It got really bad over the weekend when I was coding and re-doing the website.

img 2662 thumb   School Year Resolutions

Yes, I have cat treats at my desk. I bribe Sketchie to lay in my office during the day. ;)

3) Schedule every aspect of my life.

• I printed a new calendar for September. Ahhh, all fresh and ready to be filled in. I am making sure to write really ‘pretty’ so as to not ruin it like my current one.

Note: NOT pretty writing below:

img 2670 thumb   School Year Resolutions

4) Renew my healthy eating and fitness goals!

• I am planning out my fitness goals for Fall. The biggest of which is training for my half marathon on Sept. 27th. I also am planning on signing up for something that is so uncharacteristic of me. Any guesses? ;)

5) Pack lunches/Prep food

• Yesterday, Eric and I shopped for groceries and we bought him lots of lunch foods (sandwich stuff, fruit, etc) to pack his lunches (we slacked off a bit in the summer).
  • This week I am making a couple bulk orders of food to save money. I am making my Buck Ten Spelt Tortillas and my 50 cent hummus (note that I didn’t buy any store-bought hummus or tortillas this last grocery trip!!!)

img 5767 thumb   School Year Resolutions  img 5775 thumb   School Year Resolutions

Personally, I see the Back To School Season as a fresh start. A time to re-organize and re-new our goals for the last part of the year. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely hate seeing summer go, but nothing beats my favourite month of all- September. :)

~~~~~~~

Are you going back to school this fall? What are you doing?

How do you feel about Back To School Season? Do you make resolutions? What camp are you with?

~~~~

Also, be sure to check out Green Monster Movement for the latest Green Monster recipes! Today’s bunch features a Peach Pie GM and a Green Colada GM- yum!

I’m really hoping my blender arrives today!!!!!

angela signature thumb53   School Year Resolutions

Bree August 24, 2009

Hope your blender arrives today! This will hopefully be my last back to school Fall. I am hoping to finish my PhD in Environmental Engineering this year. I still get excited about back to school partially because September is my fav month as well and it brings my birthday!

Jodie August 24, 2009

Good morning,
Yesterday, I did all my re-organizing, home, work and my training schedule as well renewed my healthy eating goals as well.
I will be checking the GM recipes and I love the new design.Reminds me of home. Can’t wait to start ordering your bars.:)

AGS August 24, 2009

Funny — this Saturday I did a major clean-out of a closet. There is something about organizing/decluttering that really clears the mind. It is a trick I use to make myself feel better. Of course, the house benefits, too! ;)

ReinventingSandyB August 24, 2009

School is definitely back in for me this season. I’m taking a few courses for fun… enlightenment… that sort of nonsense ;) But I’m especially looking forward to the “crispness” in the air that comes with fall in the city. As for lists, I make one each year on my birthday and am plowing through my latest right now, before I turn 30 next year. I guess since my bday and fall are so close anyway, it works out. I love this time of year – it feels like we’re on the cusp of “restart”. Always a great thing.

Courtney August 24, 2009

I love love love fall and back to school!!! I am going on a road trip this week and when I get back I already have the lists of all the projects I want to get done. I always want to buy a new notebook and some pencils this time of year!
September is going to be a great month!!!

PS, not sure if you get Good Morning America in Canada but they are talking about a computer keyboard you can put in the dishwasher!!! That would be handy!!!

Courtney
Adventures in Tri-ing

Paige @ Running Around Normal August 24, 2009

Your half marathon is on my 1st wedding anniversary :D Awesome, hehe.

Hmmm are you entering some sort of bake off, perhaps?

Meggilizz--Meggie's Munchies August 24, 2009

When I was in school, I was Camp #2 excited to the max! Then once school started, and every class’s syllabus with chapter upon chapter of reading loomed over my head–I became Camp #1. :) But looking back, it was a great time and everything came out alright in the end.

Tracie (@hollafoodzone) August 24, 2009

I always loved the seasonal changes that school brought – there was always something to look forward to – and yes – I too use those times to make new resolutions about all kinds of things in my life. So when I “grew up” I just became a teacher – I’ve never had to give up back-to-school!

Maggie August 24, 2009

I guess I’m mostly in camp one, although I’m no longer in school I tend to have a small panic attack every time I hear ‘back to school’, I think it’s because that’s when you know that summer is almost over.
I did sign up to take a course this fall though, nothing serious, just a cake decorating class I thought I would do for fun, can’t wait to start!
Although it wasn’t on my mind before after seeing todays post I have a strong urge to get some pre fall cleaning done :)

Katie August 24, 2009

I’m so impressed by your organization skills! I need to do that before my boy comes home or I will be in BIG trouble!!!

Despite dreading the schoolwork, “back to school season” always gets me excited. School didn’t start for me until September though, so I have a little time to get myself together!

Alex August 24, 2009

Hi Angela,

I LOVE Back-to-school season!!!

Especially this year, because for the first time in two Septembers, I am actually going BACK to school!

I have purged my entire apartment:
-Gone trough closet and dumped a big bag of clothing to charity
-Mended/tailored clothing that needed maintenance/altering
-Gone through magazines & given away four stacks of Economists & girlie mags
-Gone through cosmetics and tossed those that I never use/are too old
-Detail cleaned every inch of my small apartment
-Reorganize my cupboards
-Bought a couple of new school supplies, but mostly went through what I already had and found most of what I need

Can you tell I love lists, and organizing?? It get my nerdy little heart beating!!

Take care,
Alex

whirrly August 24, 2009

i love back to school season! for me, fall is the time to make lots of changes for the better (as opposed to new year’s). and i might even be taking a class this fall (we’ll see if i can get into a class i want to take). i always want to revamp my entire wardrobe this time of year, too. if only, if only!!

brandi August 24, 2009

i definitely LOVED going back to school: new notebooks, folders, lunchbox…all of it. I kind of wish I was still in school – I know (even with papers and homework) that I loved that more than working an 8-5 that I don’t enjoy.

allijag August 24, 2009

I’m definitely “Camp 3″ as well! :)

Nice job on the organization so far! :) My desktop looked the same as yours last week – I finally just said “ENOUGH” and spent an hour or so getting it organized – I felt so much better afterwards! :)

Emily August 24, 2009

Did you know today is national peach pie day in the us? :)

I’ve been going to school all summer, so my sense of the season is out of whack! End of summer is always bittersweet- exciting but sort of sad. I love those last long, hot days, when its still definitely summer but you can smell fall coming.

Mellissa August 24, 2009

I am Camp 3 as well, this is the first year in a while that I am also not going back to school and I want to! I have felt the need to organize and I secretly want to go buy school clothes and school supplies even though I don’t need them

Shannon August 24, 2009

I actually never stopped going “back to school.” After college and grad school I worked as a school counselor for 6 years, so every September was filled with the excitement of meeting new students. This September I am going back to school myself as a student, starting a new career path toward becoming an RD. I can’t wait! I love back to school shopping and am really excited fo rmy back-to-school trip to Staples!

Cait (Cait's Plate) August 24, 2009

I am DEFINITELY Camp 2 (as you could probably tell from my leaf dishes! haha). I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Fall and most of that love comes from my memories of getting ready for school. I still drool over all the new pencils and binders and pens at Target…I wish I had school to go back to! I totally hear ya on having all the same feelings despite also being in my second year of non-back-to-school-back-to-school. Haha.

Loved this post, so cute :)

Oh, and YAY for cleaning and orgazing! That’s what I did this weekend!

Bec August 24, 2009

love all your back to school tasks! I am in the process of my least favorite back to school project… packing!

Alisa - Frugal Foodie August 24, 2009

Back to school must be in the air! I have files all over the floor because I just got the urge to clean out our file cabinet.

Lainie August 24, 2009

I am like you; I feel a bizarre urge to get organized right around this time of year. All of your work paid off- your house looks great!

Kristen @ Simply Savor August 24, 2009

i love the feeling of going back to school! im actually starting grad school next week to become a Registered Dietitian–I can’t wait!!

Therese August 24, 2009

Girl you need to declutter your computer desktop! That is a lot of icons lol. Totally kidding with you of course.

I LOVED the beginning of a new school year. I couldn’t wait to get new school supplies (wow I’m a nerd).

Katherine August 24, 2009

both camps.

i’m a teacher so back to school for sure brings back feelings of apprehension.

however, this time of year is my last chance to go crazy canning peaches, salsa, preserving the harvest, and of course cleaning.

i also kinda go crazy trying to orgnaize my classroom as this is the only time of year it ever gets organized.

britt August 24, 2009

ah, i love to declutter. my entire house is in desperate need of a “back to school” cleaning. thanks for the inspiration!

leslie August 24, 2009

i’m definitely in camp #2. i used to love getting all the new supplies, getting all my books and syllabi – i’m a nerd. i always think of this season as time for a fresh start though, even if i’ve been done with school for a while now!

SarahF August 24, 2009

I LOVE back to school. Especially this year because I will FINALLY graduate with my degree in Commerce. I find I always organize myself because once I get my binders in order and all the midterms and finals written down, I finally wrap my head around the fact that I’m Back to School.

Though I do miss being a kid and going to Staples for supplies (all the while trying to convince my mom that I needed new pencil crayons for the year…despite the fact that half of my pencil crayons from last year still hadn’t even been used).

Valerie August 24, 2009

I think I’m in camp 2! I just majorly clean and rearranged my room, boxed up my old textbooks and went through my closet to take out the clothes I don’t wear anymore. I don’t really need new supplies this year but usually I love going shopping for them, and obviously new fall clothes are a plus too!

I’m going back to school for my last semester of my undergrad! I’m really looking forward to my classes and my job this year so I can’t wait, and September 14th seems so far away still.

Susan August 24, 2009

I finished my undergrad this spring, so this is my first fall working a real job and not going back to school. I don’t like it!! :P I’m definitely in Camp #2. I think my favourite part was always the scheduling aspect of going back to school, after a free and disorganized summer. I liked sitting down with my agenda and going over all my deadlines. I’m still using my campus gym (hoping to squeeze out another week with that student ID) and I’m already nostalgiac driving into that campus.

Of course, I miss it now. Come exam week in December, I’ll be lovin it ;)

Kelsey August 24, 2009

i love fall but im not a super huge fan of the back to school feeling! im glad i only have three more years until i graduate architecture school!

Jessica August 24, 2009

i am in camp 2 … i love buying school supplies and i love office stores. i dont know why. i love school. i hate driving an hour to school but i love school and i love learning and i love school supplies! LOL.
i try to declutter often because it gives me anxiety.
i started back today an university of nebraska. i am studying nutrition and exercise (Double majoring!).
-muffy

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 24, 2009

I actually loved school growing up but am so grateful in my adult life that I’m not going back to school! Tests, studying, being over-scheduled…grateful that’s not my life right now!

Congrats on decluttering/purging/organizing. I am a HUGE donation and dejunking girl. If I havent worn it in a year, it doesnt matter how much I paid for it, how cute it was/is, how much I think I will wear it in the future…no. Off it goes to the Salvation Army or whatever thrift shop is on my route, I drop it off. Same with household nick nacks, kids stuff and toys, you name it, off it goes. I live in a fairly small, urban pad and if I didnt employ this strategy we would be living amongst clutter and seriously, clutter makes me nervous. Did I mention I am Type A? :)

Katie August 24, 2009

Even though I’m not in school anymore (my husband is though) I do find myself wanting to be more organized. Maybe I’m feeling pressured by all the “Back to School” ness.

I made tortillas using your recipe last night! I had them with dinner last night, snack this morning and lunch today. Love them!

Oooh going now to check out the peach pie GM. Sounds so good!

Robin August 24, 2009

The only thing back to school means to me is end of summer…sigh…

Jenn August 24, 2009

As I child I was giddy with excitement for back to school time. It probably has something to do with the fact that my birthday is in September and our local Fall fair happened at that time as well. It’s always been the time of year that I’ve loved the most. I’m not in school any more but my 5 year old is…so this time of year is once again getting the old “hip-hip horray” from me. ;)

emily - eatventures August 24, 2009

I adore back to school season! I was a teacher, and now I’m a student, and I have a serious problem with school supplies. For me, the notebook, highlighter aisle is like the shoe store to most women! Plus, when I was younger I liked the idea of being able to start fresh; I wasn’t my 10th grade self any more, now I got to dress/talk/etc like my 11th grade self. I kind of miss that feeling :)

MegaNerd August 24, 2009

Yay back to school! I went back today :D

Ugh… fifth year as an undergrad makes you in a “let’s just get this over with” camp. LOL. I’m still pumped, but more just that I’m graduating this year!

-Megan

Beth @ CrossBorderCravings August 24, 2009

I miss back to school clothes shopping so much! The best part was my mom paid for all my gear! Now that I’m an adult with rent to pay I long for those days to return! ha. I guess I’ll have to splash out this fall and buy some new things for myself :O)

Sana August 24, 2009

Wow.

I read that post twice today. Once when I woke up and once before I left to go shopping for back to school. I go away to school and live in an apartment with friend at school, I have the option to make my own food. I actually bought spelt flour to bring back to school so that I can make your tortillas!! Plus you have really inspired me to be looking forward to the cleaning and organizing I have ahead of me when I go back to school.

Thanks for being such an inspiration and for publishing a blog that really is helping people :)

Marcia August 24, 2009

My little boy started preschool today. I bought him a new lunch box and packed him a healthy lunch. I was a bit teary – but he was so excited for the new toys he pushed me away and never looked back. :(

Page 1 of 212»