Glow With Coconut Oil

img-9626copy-thumb

I keep discovering more and more ‘beauty’ uses for coconut oil!

IMG_2374

I now use coconut oil for the following:

• Nighttime eye moisturizer

So luxurious and way cheaper than pricey eye creams on the market.

• Shave Oil

An all natural way to replace that mystery gel/foam lurking in your shower- makes my legs really soft!

• Body moisturizer

I’ve been doing this for a few months now and I will never go back to regular moisturizing lotion again.

• Knee Sleeve barrier

My knee sleeves have been irritating the skin beneath it (red, itchy bumps) so I have been putting a bit of coconut oil on my knees before putting them on to reduce inflammation. I am not sure yet if it works, but I will report back after a week or so.

• Frizz Tamer

A reader told me that they use a tiny bit of coconut oil to tame their flyaways, and I must say it works fabulous. Remember- less is more with coconut oil, so you only need the tiniest bit!

• Intense Foot Cream

I put some on last night and then put some socks on and when I took them off my feet were super smooth and no more dryness!

~~~~~~~~

Today’s question:

How do you use coconut oil? Share your secrets below! I’m sure there are hundreds more uses for it.

Angela_Signature

See you tonight for a special fitness post!

1 Pam August 19, 2009

This is food, of course…lol! But when I make raw choc. candy or a lot of raw desserts I use it!

2 Jolene August 19, 2009

I haven’t used it for anything, but I have been meaning to buy some to try! Does it stain your clothes, sheets etc. after you put it on?? I would be worried about that, since most oils stain really bad.

3 jen rushlow May 16, 2014

yes I have stained my sheets by lathering on way too much, but as long as you follow the less is more method with coconut oil, it generally is fine

4 Sara July 6, 2014

I slept with the oil on my legs and my white and floral very clean sheet looks completely soiled….except for the the part of the sheet that covers the sides of the mattress. That’s still very clean and bright. How do I get the oil removed from the “top” of the sheet?

5 Casey February 15, 2015

I know this is 7 months too late but baby powder! Sprinkle it on the oil stain let it sit over night wash it and it should be gone if not repeat again. I’m an esthician and get oil on me all the time works like a charm

6 brandi August 19, 2009

that’s awesome that you can use it in so many ways! I still can’t find it here.

7 Karen August 19, 2009

I use it as a facial cleanser! No soap needed. Google “Oil-Cleansing Method” for a ton of ideas, but basically I rub some into my skin in the shower or over a hot sink, let it steam for a minute, then use a washcloth to wipe it off. My skin looks great, and I actually break out less. Coconut oil has wonderful anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal etc. properties.

Never mind how delicious it is to cook with. I use it with black beans, spinach, sweet potatoes, smoothies, etc. Love!

8 mountain girl August 19, 2009

Hey Angela,

I use coconut oil for sunscreen! It has UV protection up to a certain point (probably no one should bake for hours even with commercial sunscreens) and I love wearing stuff I would eat! It also has more sun protection if you have it in your system from eating it as well as slathering it on your skin.

I also use it for my only moisturizer for face and body. I’ve heard you can use it for deoderant, too…

Maybe Project Glow would also benefit from trying out Dr. Bronner’s liquid soap. It’s all natural, coconut-oil-based (as well as containing jojoba, hemp, and olive oils), and you can use it for practically EVERYTHING! It now serves as my shampoo, soap, body wash, shaving cream, facial cleanser, deoderant, toothpaste, baby wash/shampoo, all-purpose cleaner, bug repellent, and garden pesticide. You can also use it for laundry and even to wash wool, as well as dishes, floor, car, pets, etc. It’s also great for a warm-washcloth massage. You don’t even have to use water and rinse it off, so it’s great for traveling, and the coconut oil has antibacterial properties, too!

9 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 19, 2009

Jolene- I always make sure I have my PJs or comfy clothes on when I put it on (I tend to put it on at night time) so Im not sure about staining. I would be careful though as it might.

Karen- Awesome tip about a face wash! Im going to try this for sure!

10 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 19, 2009

Mountain girl- ummm whoa that product sounds awesome! I will google it. :)

Just thought of more things to use it for that I read about a while back…lip balm…bug bites

11 Jessica August 19, 2009

i want to try coconut oil so badly but i just can’t afford it right now!
-muffy

12 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 19, 2009

Muffy- One bottle lasts a LONG time. I just use a bit. Ive been using the same bottle now for about 2 months? For $9 bucks that is not bad.

I just came across this great website! http://www.organicconsumers.org/bodycare/index.cfm

13 Sheila | Live Well 360° August 19, 2009

Hey Angela,

I use coconut oil as a moisturizer as well. So awesome. And cooking/baking of course. I wrote an article a while back on the benefits, check it out if you have a moment: http://livewell360.com/2008/08/coconut-oil-the-magic-potion/

I also wanted to tell you that I have a giveaway going on right now for a subscription to Fitness Magazine. Peeps can enter by sharing their favorite stretch (I made a video with my top 3 favorite stretches). I know you love stretching as much as I do, so I figured I would let you know.

Take care!

Sheila

14 Paige @ Running Around Normal August 19, 2009

Great tips! Makes me want to pick some up next time I’m at the store. I never thought about it for eye cream. I use jojoba oil a lot, but I’ll have to try the coconut oil next.

15 britt August 19, 2009

i never knew that coconut oil could be used for so many things (including a face wash). now i definitely need to pick some up!

16 Megan August 19, 2009

I did not know there were so many uses for coconut oil! Thanks :) The shave oil is most interesting!

17 Shannon August 19, 2009

Hi Angela, I’ve never used coconut oil before….but that’s why I have been a long-time lurker. You are full of good ideas and helpful hints. I am just beginning to experiment with blogging. You have set a wonderful example. Thanks!

18 Allison August 19, 2009

Where do you buy coconut oil?

19 Karen August 19, 2009

A little off-topic here…

I thought I’d pass this on to you since it’s up your alley. Maybe you’ve heard of it already; if so, just ignore this post! I’ve been reading a lot lately about the new book Thrive by Brendan Brazier, though I haven’t read the book yet myself. The No Meat Athlete blog has several posts dedicated to it, including a number of recipes. Here’s one of the posts:

The book features vegan nutrition for athletes, with a focus on high-raw. I’ve been reading so much good press on it. I still haven’t gotten my hands on a copy, but I will be buying it soon.

20 Jenny August 19, 2009

whoa coconuts are such little gems! healthy for your body and skin?! talk about nature’s candy!

21 Menden @ Skinny Menny August 19, 2009

Hey Angela! I have only used coconut oil in my cooking so far…but I’ve heard it makes a great deep conditioner for your hair. Just slather some on after a shower, wrap your hair in a towel, and then rinse out later, or so I’ve heard!

22 Ashley August 19, 2009

I’ve used it on my curls for years. My hair is super thick and curly too. I rub on a dime full threw my wet hair and let it air dry. Frizz less curls rock! Plus it smells wonderful.

23 Kelly August 19, 2009

I’ve never used it before, but if it works well for frizz (as you & Ashley right above me say) then I’d love to try it! I have super curly (and often super frizzy) hair, and I’m all for controlling the frizz naturally!

24 Janna August 19, 2009

Thanks for that! I’ve been wanting to try coconut oil out of the kitchen and now I know how :) I wish it wasn’t so expensive though!

25 Ingunn August 19, 2009

I’m officially intrigued – do you have any recommendations for where to buy coconut oil? Can I get it at Whole Foods (or something like that) or is it better to order it online?

26 Alisa - Frugal Foodie August 19, 2009

I eat it! In addition, I really like the way it feels on my lips as a lip treatment. But it is great for using instead of butter; so rich.

27 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 19, 2009

I find coconut oil in the organic section of Loblaws/Superstore. You can also get it at Whole Foods or online!

28 Amy August 19, 2009

Is there a certain “brand” of coconut oil you use from Whole Foods?

29 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 19, 2009

I don’t buy it at WF but the brand I am currently using is called Tropical Traditions that I got online

30 Angie August 19, 2009

Angela,
I have been using coconut oil as a moisturizer for a couple of months now. I love it! I slather it on after my shower, I use it as a facial moisturizer at night- but, you’re right, a little goes a long way!

I’ve also used it on my hair as a deep conditioner before shampooing!

The perfect product!

31 Kristina August 19, 2009

I run a spa in a natural medicine clinic, and several of my massage therapists use it as massage oil !! soo yum!

32 Katherine August 19, 2009

My hubby and I use it for all the uses people mentioned above, especially in winter when my hands get all cracked. Eeek. I know, not a nice feeling.

My question is, it takes a while for the oil to dry since it doesn’t absorb as readily as a commercial moisturizers. Any tips on how to help it absorb since everything my hubby and I touch after moisturizing gets a little oil mark? Other than designating a pair of mittens to put on afterwards, I’m not sure what to do.

33 Alex August 19, 2009

I also love coconut oil- for cooking and beauty!

In addition to using it as a moisturizer, I recently came up with this recipe for insect repellent!:

1/4 c coconut oil
6 drops peppermint essential oil
6 drops clove essential oil

Blend together in a little container and slather it all over you!

I recently used this during a buggy weekend at my friends cottage and it worked great! I came back with 2 bites or so, and my other friends (who had been using “Off” bug repellent all weekend) were covered!

34 Sana August 19, 2009

Hi, this post makes me giggle a little. For as long as I can remember my mom used to put cocunut oil in my hair at night. And I would wash it out in the morning. I hated this for two reasons, it took too long to wash out and I had to sleep with a plastic bag on my pillow. I could even smell it long after the shower. But it does produce soft, silky hair :)

35 mountain girl August 19, 2009

Hey,

I just found coconut oil at Wal-Mart!!! In the baking section. They have Spectrum and I think a lesser brand. Price wasn’t bad, either. (I think $6 + change?)

36 Heather August 19, 2009

I use coconut oil as a moisturizer on my face sometimes but shaving cream ALWAYS!!!! I bought some Alba coconut lime shaving cream once and looking at the ingredients it was really vitamin E oil and coconut oil with a few other things, so I thought perfect. Plus it smells soo good.

37 Ellen August 19, 2009

i use it everywhere, all those ways and more. coat your hair with it and sleep overnight for an intense hair mask. i wet my face, put it on, and then wipe with a warm rag to remove makeup. i put it over cuts and burns to speed healing. and of course, in cooking. you can use it to make a natural “chocolate shell” for your ice cream, just like those crazy chemical-laden “chocolate products.” the stuff is a total lifesaver for me. i slather my entire body with it daily.

38 Ellen August 19, 2009

oh angela, i have a question that’s unrelated to this post. when you were on your honeymoon, what types of shoes did you bring? i’m going to be in italy for 3 months and need to pack light, but i want shoes that are comfortable, cute and versatile.

39 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 19, 2009

Amazing suggestions! I can’t wait to use it as an eye makeup remover!

RE: Oil marks…I’m really not sure how to prevent this one as I haven’t figured it out myself. It does take a long time to absorb…thats why I try to put it on at night before bed. If anyone has any ideas Id love to hear them!

Ellen- I wore Nike Free sneakers! They are super light weight and comfortable. Some people need more support but I loved them…stylish and not ‘clunky’ like some sneakers can be.

40 L August 19, 2009

Nutiva is basically the gold standard of coconut oil. It’s not all the same. For max benefits, make sure it is raw, organic, extra virgin, and unrefined. You can order off of nutiva’s website. If your local whole foods doesn’t carry it, they will special order it for you. I love using it as a moisturizer. Blemish cream used to burn my skin and make my skin red and flaky. Coconut oil keeps the natural balance of skin moisture and helps heal blemishes. It’s really amazing stuff :)

41 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 19, 2009

I know lots of people who swear that coconut oil is a good sun repellent. Now if you love a good SPF 50 or something, not sure how well you’re gonna do with coconut oil, but in the natural/holistic parenting community, lots of parents dont wanna use sunblock on their kids b/c of all the nasty ingredients and they use coconut oil instead with good results.

Also, coconut oil is good for sunburns, kinda like aloe is.

I love your blog, I just posted on mine with a pic of a green monster and linked to you twice :) You’re my new favorite discovery!

42 Alyssa August 19, 2009

how do you store your coconut oil? i actually just bought some the other day…except i was actually eating it….it was proven to help thyriod function and i have recently found that i have a problem with mine. but hey, ill be happy to slather it alllllll over my body too! only problem is i bought it a day ago, used it to melt into my morning oatmeal and the next day it was pure oil and no longer the solid i bought it as. i know i can still use it for cooking purposes but it would be hard to use on my knees elbows. do you store yours in the fridge?

43 Andrew V August 10, 2016

Keep it refrigerated and it will remain a solid.

44 Suzanne August 19, 2009

When I make french toast!! YUM!

45 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 19, 2009

Alyssa- You can refrigerate it if you find that it is melting on you. I find on hot days mine gets liquidy, but then it solidifies again the next day. You don’t have to worry about it going bad though- its fine left out to melt and does not affect the quality of the oil.

46 Sara August 19, 2009

It tastes AMAZING on popcorn!! I melt a SMALL amount and put it on plain popcorn with a little bit of salt – oh my goodness it’s the best :)

47 Jen August 20, 2009

Hi

I use coconut oil in cooking (makes the best dairy free carrot cake) and also to moisturise my knees and elbows.

Also, a bit of naughty info I found while looking up coconut oil last year – it can be used as a lumbricant just not with condoms – see it has many amazing uses.

48 Matt (No Meat Athlete) August 20, 2009

Great post! It’s so awesome that one oil can do all this great stuff. I wonder how it works for shaving (face, not legs :)). Maybe I’ll try it one day when I have nothing to do for a few days, just in case some disaster results!

Anyway, my use for coconut oil isn’t anything too crazy, but it’s delicious for frying plantains and also in homemade sports drinks!

49 Michelle August 20, 2009

I just stumbled onto your site last week and LOVE it! I like that you write about lots of different things, rather than just food. And I like the pics of Sketchie. :)

I have a question about coconut oil though. I’ve been reading about it on a bunch of blogs the last few weeks and was pretty excited about trying it out, and was stoked to find some at Walmart for only $6. I don’t know if I bought the right stuff, but mine has 12g of saturated fat and almost 150 calories per serving (which is 1 tbsp I think). Mine doesn’t have anything about being organic or extra virgin on the label. It says that it’s 100% pure and all-natural, but how can all that saturated fat be healthy? Did I get the wrong stuff? Or did I just get crappy quality coconut oil?

50 Jess August 20, 2009

Angela,

What’s the difference between coconut oil and coconut butter?I found a recipe that calls for both, so now I”m confused. I thought it was the same thing – only whether it was liquid or not.

It is great for curly hair – I have super curls and always feel frizzy, but now they are tame!

51 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 21, 2009

Michelle- You definitely want to buy the non hydrogenated, virgin, and organic coconut oil if you can. The saturated fat isn’t unhealthy in this case because studies show that the saturated fat from fruit is not the unhealthy kind like from animal products (and doesn’t negatively impact ones health). Coconut oil has been shown to do wonders for one’s health in so many areas (just google it). My organic stuff has 100 cals per tablespoon (similar to any other oil). Coconut oil is very heat stable so it makes an excellent cooking and frying oil. It has a smoke point of about 360° F (180° C)- unlike other oils like olive oil which break down during cooking.
Enjoy!

Jess- Coconut butter has the coconut meat mixed in it (and I think it is higher in pro and fibre but dont quote me on this!)

52 dipti August 22, 2009

Being from South of India, coconut forms a staple in our diet as well as in our beauty regimes. One of the way we use coconut oil, is to warm it up & then apply it once a week at night to our hair overnight & we then wash it off the next morning. It has effectively been proven to prevent premature graying.
Another customary thing we do is, whenever anyone is down with any illness, you will find them sipping on water from tender coconuts. You will see the person up & about in 3 days time. We also use coconut flesh to make spreads for sandwiches etc.The benefits of coconut are too many to list :)

53 Eliana August 22, 2009

Love your blog!

My friend Misti (www.oceanicwilderness.com) introduced me to it, and I am glad she did.

I love these tips on coconut, I will look for it at whole foods.

Thanks.

Eliana >^..^<

54 Kim from Milwaukee August 24, 2009

Coconut oil is a fat that does not get stored in your body, rather it is used immediately for fuel, so you will not gain weight when you consume it. It’s great for cooking, as it has a high scorch temp, like olive oil. Makes a wonderful substitute for shortening in pie crust recipes as well.

The organic coconut oil will smell like coconuts. If yours does not, then it’s a low grade form of coconut oil, and it’s been over processed and bleached, so you won’t get the benefits that you would from organic, cold-processed coconut oil.

Coconut milk is also a wonderful substitute for milk in your smoothies. It has the natural oil in it already, so you’ll get the thermogenic benefits.

55 Green Your Life! September 3, 2009

Make your own DIY coconut lip balm by using coconut oil and beeswax. Simply melt both in microwave and put in lip balm tube. Google for an online recipe. You can also make coconut lip gloss by simply using coconut oil and Jojoba oil..google for recipe.

TO EAT DAILY: Liquify a little and drizzle on your stove-top popcorn along with a few shakes of sea salt. Yum!

56 Carrie September 29, 2009

I meant to comment on this post WAYYYYYY back. Anyways, obviously it’s hard to travel with a big jug of CO, so I like to melt it into chapstick containers that you can buy at craft stores and throw a couple in my purse so I can use it as a lotion during the day when I’m out. Great for traveling, too!

57 Kimberly December 20, 2009

My eyelashes have grown SO MUCH since I started putting this on my eyes at night before bed. I actually just use it to remove makeup and I don’t rinse any excess oil off. My eyelashes are all long and curly now! I never expected that but it’s been a nice side effect!

58 Erica January 14, 2010

I make my own soaps and shampoos, and organic coconut oil has been a real boom for me! It is moisturizing, all natural, and smells great! Not to mention I get a great deal by buying in bulk online!

Bulk Organic Coconut Oil

59 Sri May 20, 2010

When you said you use coconut oil as a moisturizer, do you put in on in the mornings too before stepping out? And it doesn’t get on to your clothes? I’m from Kerala in India where coconut oil is the easiest available and cheapest oil. I use it as a hair pack before shampooing. I live in Germany now and do have issues with dry skin so was wondering about its use as a moisturizer.

60 coconut oil for skin September 25, 2010

Would any one on the site be able to suggest any ways that have helped them improve their skin?

61 Gabrielle Koeppel March 3, 2013

Angela, have you ever heard of or tried oil pulling with coconut oil? I first heard of this earlier this week on Mind Body Green’s website/facebook page. I am curious your thoughts. Here is the link: http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-7857/why-you-should-start-oil-pulling-today.html. I have tried it two mornings in a row. It is pretty disgusting feeling and tasting but bearable. Not sure it is worth it.

Your website and facebook postings are fantastic. I really appreciate your writing, recipes and fitness ideas. In fact, I am eating banana peanut butter oatmeal this morning (I used almond butter instead) and contemplating a boredom busting workout on the treadmill later. Thank you. gabi

62 Suzytunes August 31, 2013

Wow! I’ve never read so much about coconut oil!! A ton of fabulous information & ideas listed here! So glad I found you by way of Ask.com.

63 Denni March 12, 2014

I use it as eye make up remover. It lasts forever (because you only need a little) and I feel safe putting it near my eyes. So, peace of mind and no raccoon eyes the following morning after washing my face/showering :)

64 John Marris June 10, 2016

I use coconut oil for as a hair mask.Will you believe it really works and gave good results.Moreover,it has many benefits in cooking,massaging,moisturizing,makeup removing etc. Thanks for sharing.

65 Andrew V August 10, 2016

I don’t think anyone has mentioned it but it can also be used as a sexual lubricant. I know not exactly the forum for it but it works very well. My wife recently went through menopause and had trouble lubricating naturally. We read up on the issue and discovered a lot of people use it for just that, thought I’d pass it on :)