Vegan Avocado & Cheese Pepper Boats

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 7, 2009

I warned you that I was on a ‘boat’ kick, didn’t I? ;)

IMG_1578

As I showed you on the weekend, we bought 2 huge bags of peppers for $5 from Loblaws. So we had tons to use up. I have been eating them like crazy!

IMG_1576

Vegan Avocado & Cheese Pepper Boats

by Ohsheglows.com

Ingredients:

• 4-5 cups spinach, lightly sautéed
  • 1 large pepper
  • Vegan cheese (or regular)
  • Parsley flakes
  • 1 tomato, chopped
  • Avocado
  • Homemade ketchup

Directions: Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with tin foil or parchment. Slice pepper into 2-3 large pieces. Fill with tomato. Cook for about 20 minutes, watching it carefully and checking often. While cooking lightly sauté the spinach. Sprinkle with cheese and parsley and cook for another 2-5 minutes. Remove from oven and decorate the boats with any toppings of your choice. I used avocado and my homemade ketchup. Lay the spinach on the plate and then top with the boats. Serves 1.

Print Recipe

IMG_1586

This was so fun to eat! And so delicious.

IMG_1591

I also had it with some flax bread (gotta have my bread!!).

IMG_1589

What other veggies can be turned into boats?

Hmmm.

~~~~~

This is how I spent my morning …

IMG_1620

Making wedding cake sweet wheat sugar cookies!

IMG_1606

Some of you messaged me on twitter yesterday saying you wanted to see more footage of the baking process. So here you go :)

IMG_1594

Thank to Eric for shooting these on his way out the door this morning! ;)

IMG_1597

I made about 50 or so.

IMG_1607

IMG_1613

After these harden up, I will decorate them.

IMG_1617

Next week I am also making Leah’s wedding favours for her wedding next Friday. I am going to be one busy girl!

~~~~~

Eric successfully installed Zen Cart for my bakery shopping cart. Now I need to customize it, which I think will take me at minimum 2 weeks. I have to customize the layout, colours, add all my products, prices, shipping sizes, weights, shipping tool, etc etc! I’m a bit overwhelmed at the moment. I will also have to install a secure payment application such as Authorize.net. However, we are ‘shopping’ around since Authorize.net is $20 per month. :( Luckily, Zen Cart is free ware so that saves us some moula!

Enjoy your Friday my lil’ health nuts!

Angela_Signature

LaurenB August 7, 2009 at 12:46 pm

Those look delish!

Last week your zucchini boat post inspired to do the same for supper! I didn’t have any zucchini’s, so I used a nice big red pepper and stuffed it with some leftover Veggie Round Ground, rice and veggies that I had (and a little sprinkle of cheese). It was so tasty and satisfying.

Thanks for all the great ideas – I’m still dying to try the banana soft-serve as well :)

Nina August 7, 2009 at 12:49 pm

Yumm!!! The cookies look delish!

[email protected] August 7, 2009 at 12:58 pm

My zucchini boats were unreal last night!!!!

Shelly August 7, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Good boat veggies:
Winter squash like butternut or acorn (excellent with couscous with cinnamon, walnuts, and dried cranberries)
Tomatoes (scoop out the middle and save it for a salad, then bake with egg and cheese, or serve raw with a scoop of tuna salad)
Zuchinni or yellow summer squash

Bonus: Melons make good boats for fruit salad or yogurt!

Shelly August 7, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Oh and if you can get whole canned green chilies- these are great stuffed, but fall apart when you eat them.

Jennie {in Wonderland} August 7, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Those “boats” look gorgeous. I just found vegan cheese actually, FINALLY, after months of searching in the UK, so will definitely try them. I still think about potato skins sometimes, lol, so these can be a replacement!!

brandi August 7, 2009 at 1:15 pm

great “boat” idea :)

i love all the baking action!

Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now August 7, 2009 at 1:30 pm

I love the baking process pictures. Would love to see more of them, but I know they take a lot of time.

Jessica August 7, 2009 at 1:38 pm

Yum! I love red peppers and cheese, so these look heavenly!
glad to hear the us shipping is close to being here!
-muffy

Emily (A Nutritionist Eats) August 7, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Angela – those look amazing!!!! YUM!

Rosey Rebecca August 7, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Aww wedding cake cookie!! I want some!

Sonya August 7, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Angela, thanks for posting that recipe! I’m going to try the boats for dinner tonight!:-) The cookies look beautiful, by the way.

Lynn August 7, 2009 at 2:06 pm

I use Authorize.net and it works very well for my needs. I shopped around, and it was the best deal at the time. The are all pretty comparable. If you’d like more info about it, feel free to email me.
[email protected]
(I’m a therapist in private practice in New Hampshire.)

Leah @ Simply Fabulous August 7, 2009 at 2:19 pm

Cute cookies!

vincenza wall August 7, 2009 at 2:23 pm

What about using paypal? That way you never have access to your customer’s credit card info, it’s all done through paypal. You do have to pay a small commission on each transaction but it is something you could build into your pricing/shipping fees.

JB August 7, 2009 at 3:07 pm

those boats look so melty and delicious! and the wedding cake cookies are so cute. you never disappoint, angela!

Alex August 7, 2009 at 3:27 pm

Squash makes a great boat! And pineapple can make a great sweet exotic boat for some spicy rice.

Go nuts! I mean, go boats!

britt August 7, 2009 at 3:58 pm

i am definitely trying out those pepper boats after my trip to the farmers market this weekend. they seem so simple yet look delicious! i love anything with cheese :)

Katy August 7, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Hi Ange! Wow that frosting looks AMAZING!
I’m curious about what kind of soy cheese you use. I wanted to buy some last week but the only brand I could find in my local Safeway (shoulda gone to WF) had trans fats in it. Does soy cheese really taste good? I’m skeptical.
Thanks, happy weekend!

Jolene August 7, 2009 at 4:39 pm

Cool pics! Those cookies look delish!

Sarah August 7, 2009 at 4:50 pm

I love seeing all the neat meals you come up with! And those cookies are too cute :)

Christina August 7, 2009 at 6:38 pm

Yummy..that looks delicious..those cookies are great!! xox

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope August 7, 2009 at 6:40 pm

What an awesome recipe!!! And OMG those cookies are ADORABLE. They’re going to be so fun to decorate… totally wish I could be there helping you out. :)

xxoo
Heather

Angela (Run Study Eat) August 7, 2009 at 6:56 pm

MMM! Between this, zucchini boats and figgy toast, I have a lot of recipes to try!

[email protected] RunningAroundNormal August 7, 2009 at 8:22 pm

Those cookies are so adorable!! Look at you ya worker bee :) I’m sure she will LOVE them.

Thanks for the recipe, too!

Madelin @ What is for breakfast? August 7, 2009 at 9:06 pm

I made stuffed capsicums the other day with rice and cajun seasoning! So good! Avocado sounds like a yummy idea too! You can make a boat out of the round part of a butternut pumpkin and not as easy but cabbage can work as a boat too, think cabbage rolls with tomato and rice mixture but not rolled into an actual “roll”.

Dana (www.eatsleepgetfit.com) August 8, 2009 at 8:58 pm

Does your shopping cart allow you to use PayPal? It’s a pretty popular tool that tons of websites use for checkout.

Kady August 10, 2009 at 12:03 pm

I was thinking of some kind of eggplant boat- inspired by my eggplant parm I love to make. It would make a large boat though. Filled with tomato sauce, fresh basil, spinach, and cheese, and maybe some type of italian bread crumb-like crust mixture sprinkled on top?

Butternut squash is also amazingly good with indian/curry flavors.

Is the recipe for sweet wheat cookies posted anywhere or is that a secret Glo Bakery recipe?