Sweet Potat-‘Oh’ Sandwich

img 1475 thumb   Sweet Potat ‘Oh’ Sandwich

I had three lovely sweet potatoes to use up, so last night I decided to make sweet potato open-faced sandwiches.

After chopping the sweet potatoes, I ‘basted’ them with coconut oil. I have been wanting to try this for a while now because I thought that the coconut and sweet potato tastes would blend well together. After basting, I sprinkled the fries with paprika and a tiny bit of fine grain sea salt.

I baked them in the oven at 350F for about 15 minutes on each side. I broiled them for another 5 minutes on med-low. Be sure to watch them very carefully on broil because the burn so fast!

While they were cooking I made a homemade ketchup consisting of organic tomato paste and some salt-free BBQ sauce. I continued along the ‘piping’ theme of the day and put it in a baggie so I could pipe it onto my open-faced sandwiches.

img 1474 thumb   Sweet Potat ‘Oh’ Sandwich

I also toasted up some flax bread:

img 1478 thumb   Sweet Potat ‘Oh’ Sandwich

Layered on the fries and then piped them with the homemade ketchup.

The result was simple yet magnificent.

img 1517 thumb   Sweet Potat ‘Oh’ Sandwich

Eric doesn’t like sweet potatoes, but he gobbled up this dinner. I like proving him wrong this week!

After I tried this, I said ‘OH wow. Sweet Potat-OH!’ Yup, I’m an odd one.

img 1513 thumb   Sweet Potat ‘Oh’ Sandwich

I couldn’t overtly taste the coconut oil on these fries, but I could definitely smell a hint of it. I think I put on too much though because the fries didn’t crisp up very much like they usually do. I would suggest not using more than 1/2 T of coconut oil to baste 3 sweet potatoes. I used 1 T and they were soaking a bit. ;)

img 1524 thumb   Sweet Potat ‘Oh’ Sandwich

Dessert:

A leftover Healthy Peanut Butter Coconut Swirl Pancake.

img 1505 thumb   Sweet Potat ‘Oh’ Sandwich

Dear God!!

I never thought I would see the day when a COLD, leftover pancake tasted brilliant right out of the fridge. I think I honestly might have liked it better COLD! The peanut butter and coconut/maple flavour was just bursting out of the pancake. This would make an awesome pre-run snack to. Just make a batch on Sunday and refrigerate them for the week. WOW!!!!!

Time to get back to work. I’m off to update Glo Bakery website and then try and figure out how to implement an online shopping cart + shipping tool. I want to cry! I don’t know where to even begin…

I may have to take my laptop outside to enjoys some sun.

I’m planning a fun fitness topic tonight, be sure to check it out!

~~~~~~

Have a lovely, healthy, and glowing day, :)

angela signature thumb14   Sweet Potat ‘Oh’ Sandwich

Kim August 6, 2009

OMG…you make the best stuff! I don’t know what to make for dinner tonight….the sweet potato sandwich or the pancakes!

Kristen August 6, 2009

I’m with you on the cold pancakes. I make oat pancakes that I love warm, but the next day I pull them out of the fridge, put some almond butter and jam on them and they are even better!

Kristin August 6, 2009

Yum! You made me realize I am hungry! Time for lunch!

Erica August 6, 2009

Those sammies look incredible. Sweet tatos rock! Josh (my husband) always says he doesn’t like them as well…but some how …when I crisp them up in the oven, he manages to eat them ;)

Ashley August 6, 2009

I’ve never been able to produce a crispy sweet potato fry.

Never though the oil was the culprit. Good idea!

gliding calm August 6, 2009

HAHA! I LOVED THE HOMEMADE PIPED KETCHUP!!!!! That is so clever!! I bet a SP sammy was amazinggggggggggggggg.

Your creations ROCK, Ange. Always impressed!

HOPE you are having a HAPPY HAPPY Thursday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amelia August 6, 2009

WoW those sandwiches look great!!! Good luck with the website issues. Wish I was a techie so I could help!

Shannon (The Daily Balance) August 6, 2009

great sandwich idea! – so impressive ;)

Sarah August 6, 2009

A sweet potato sandwich might just be the best creation ever! I love how you are getting your husband to eat stuff he thinks he didn’t like, I hope I can do that with mine someday, he is super picky :)

Kimberly Lee August 6, 2009

Angie – I have been trying to find a creative way to get in more veggies – especially orange ones. I think your sweet potato idea will be appearing on a plate at my home really soon.

brandi August 6, 2009

great idea! and i love the cold pancake for dessert :)

Does Eric usually have other stuff with his dinners, too? My husband is usually good about eating what I make, but I know that he needs more food than I normally do since he’s pretty active during the day (as compared to my desk job) and he weighs more/burns more.

Therese August 6, 2009

Sweet potatoes with bread and ketchup? 3 of my favorite things so I’m sold! Do you find you aren’t as full with less protein in that meal?

Just curious because I definitely end up hungry again fairly soon after a meal lacking protein…

Those pancakes look to die for!

Shelby August 6, 2009

Mmm, I love sweet potatoes!

Faith August 6, 2009

I love baked sweet potato fries, I’ll definitely be trying this recipe!

Abby Tichenor August 6, 2009

Can’t wait to try the pancake and sweet potatoes! Glad to hear I’m not the only one making up my own “odd” combos!

Last night I made Blueberry Crisp. Fresh blueberries with a TAD of brown rice syrup drizzled and the crisp part was: Pecans, Chia Seeds, Rolled Oats, Coconut Oil and Brown Rice Syrup (sparingly) – All blended together and sprinkled on top and then baked. SOOO GOOD and that topping could be used for everything!

britt August 6, 2009

sweet potato fries are the best! i love the coconut oil idea.

kelly August 6, 2009

Looks yummy! My cat was SO glad to have a playmate. I highly recommend getting Sketchie a little brother or sister!

Jessica August 6, 2009

That would make a good prerun snack for sure!!!
my boyfriend also doesn’t like sweet taters but he loves the fries i make with them LOL
-muffy

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 6, 2009

To be honest I usually eat MORE than Eric at dinner. I think it is because he eats more during the day? I have no clue but it always seems like I’m eating him under the table, lol.

Gillian August 6, 2009

MMMMmm cold pancakes! I used to love cold French toast and those pancakes look like they would be kick ass cold! You are such an inspiration pretty lady!

chandra h August 6, 2009

angelaaa! hello :)

i love just about ANYTHING in sandwich form and I haven’t actually done it yet, but I’ve envisioned the Sweet Potato Sandwich and imagined that it would be delicious. lol

you know what could be a yummy addition? black beans… I had this vision of like a sweet potato sandwich with a layer of mashed black beans, & def ketchup, and maybe some sort of green too? something chewy, like kale. mmmm.

lol. have a great day! & good luck w/ the online bakery work. sounds intimidating – baby steps! good luck :)

Rebeca August 6, 2009

Oh yum… I was just searching for something to do with some SPs I need to use up!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope August 6, 2009

Sweet potatoes are just so darn amazing! ;) Enjoy your time in the sun.

xxoo
Heather

Chloe August 6, 2009

That sweet potato sandwich looks so good and filling! I never buy sweet potatoes even though I love them, they’re next on my grocery list.

Love your fun lunches, so inspiring!

Helena August 6, 2009

Hi Angela,
I was wondering what kind of cruise did you take for your honeymoon? I’ve never considered a cruise before but your pictures make it seem like fun!

We went on a 12-day Mediterranean cruise with Princess Cruise Lines. There were things we liked about it (the food and the ability to see so many places in such a short amount of time), and things we didn’t like (the avg age on the ship was 50+, very costly, and we found that we didn’t have enough time in each city). All and all it was a fun experience though and Princess Cruise (Emerald ship) was absolutely phenomenal in every sense of the word. I would research on Trip Advisor- thats what we did! ~A

Nina August 6, 2009

Ange, you always come up with the most delicious ideas for meals!! you should be a personal chef :).

ps i can’t wait for the healthy living summit swag bags….omg glo bars finally! i cannot WAIT.

Rosey Rebecca August 6, 2009

All of your eats look amazing!! I really need to try those pancakes!!

Meghan@traveleatlove August 6, 2009

That sandwich looks like exactly what I am craving today!

Lizzy August 6, 2009

See, i would make those pancakes, except I can GUARANTEE, i would eat the entire batch at one sitting. Just looking at them makes me drool :-)

Susan August 6, 2009

Haha, you are such a baker, piping everything on food :P Cold pancakes before a run is a fabulous idea!! No, genius idea!

Meredith (Pursuing Balance) August 6, 2009

Yum! And I have a sweet potato that was just looking to be used . . . definitely going to try it on a sandwich!

theskinnyplate August 6, 2009

Pipping your own ketchup is such a great idea.

Kelsey August 6, 2009

mmmmm, you have me wanting a sweet potato!!

Angela (Run Study Eat) August 6, 2009

Mmm! Not usually a fun of cold pancakes but that sweet potato sandwich is a must try for me!!

Lainie August 6, 2009

Ange – you make the most amazing looking food! Seriously! It’s pretty amazing you make cold pancakes sound delicious…but…you do! Props to you girl…props to you!