Solar Powered

Happy Civic Day to my fellow Canadians :)

I hope you are enjoying a lovely long weekend and day off work!

img 4869 thumb1   Solar Powered

Yesterday afternoon I needed some solar power!

I was feeling so blah and tired yesterday I finally just decided to go outside in the beautiful sun and chill out for a bit.

It occurred to me that I haven’t once sat out in the sun yet all summer. So I decided that I was going to enjoy this nice heat wave and bring my new Runner’s World to read and veg out. It felt good! The sun definitely gave me energy when I badly needed it. I felt like a plant. :D

Eric was on the roof doing man stuff :D

img 4899 thumb   Solar Powered

I snuck a few sips of his Corona when he came to visit:

img 4902 thumb   Solar Powered

I was only out for about half hour or so, but it really did make me feel much better.

I surprised myself so much last night! I had a great workout- on a hangover day! I know shocking, isn’t it? Sex and The City (Movie) came on TV and I decided to just hop on the treadmill and just see how far my legs would take me. Well, 50 minutes and 3 miles later I got off feeling so much better! Did I mention I LOVE that movie? When is the next one coming out???

~~~~~~~~

This morning I am going to show you the healthy snacks I packed for the car trip I had this weekend. On my way to the stagette, I knew that I would be driving through lunch since I left at 11:30am. Eric was so sweet and packed me a delicious pita wrap for the car:

img 1303 thumb   Solar Powered

• High portein + high fibre pita
  • tomato
  • hummus
  • Light Balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing
  • Avocado
  • Red pepper

He then rolled up each pita and wrapped a paper towel around it to ‘hold it all in’. I didn’t realize he did this until I opened it up in the car to eat it, but it was a genius idea. Otherwise, it would have fallen all over me! The pita was a really great snack in the car and only required one hand. :) I was so happy to have it and ate it around 1pm.

I also brought lots of energizing drinks!

On the menu: One ‘swamp water’ (Amazing Grass wheat grass + H2O) + 1 Sencha Loose Leaf Green Tea:

img 4831 thumb   Solar Powered

I also had a delicious GS apple that I brought in a zip lock baggie with paper towel for easy clean-up and disposal.

img 4829 thumb   Solar Powered

It was the perfect fuel for the drive there!

~~~~~~

Flash forward to the drive home.

I was running on empty as I didn’t have anything to eat before leaving the hotel room in the morning.

After I dropped off Carley, I stopped at my favourite fast food restaurant- Subway!

I was STARVING- this was at 10:30am and I had already been up for 3 hours. I ordered a footlong veggie sub. I asked the lady behind the counter how many customers they have ordering subs at 10 in the morning, to which she replied, ‘Not many. You are the first one today!’ :)The sub was so so good. I ate it in the deserted Subway shop. I got all the veggies except hot peppers, whole wheat bread (toasted), no cheese, and pepper, mustard + a tiny bit of BBQ sauce.

Perfection:

img 4826 thumb   Solar Powered

mmmm. I ate every last bite.

img 4827 thumb   Solar Powered

I left one happy woman.

Around noon, I was starting to get a bit hungry (and bored) in the car and I broke open my bag of Nature’s Path Flax Plus cereal. This cereal is even yummy dry too.

img 1317 thumb   Solar Powered

I also had lots of water to re-hydrate myself.

Once home, I made a super powerful kale Green Monster! When I really want a powerful GM, I bring out the kale. I hadn’t had any for a while since the organic selection at the grocery store has been so poor, but Eric picked me up some over the weekend. :)

Lightly steamed:

img 1307 thumb   Solar Powered

Ingredients:

• 3 cups steamed kale
  • 1 cup almond breeze
  • 2 ice cubes
  • 1.5 T chia seeds
  • 1 T PC Natural Peanut Butter
  • 1/3 pineapple core
  • 1/2 serving Amazing Grass Pom-Mango Meal

img 1312 thumb   Solar Powered

In front of the wedding centrepiece that my BIL Steve and his girlfriend Joanne brought over last night:

img 1308 thumb   Solar Powered

This was one GREEN monster I tell ya! It felt so good to drink it after last night’s festivities of naughty drinks.

Dinner was a veggie tofu stir-fry (last night’s amazing stir fry got me hooked again!), and dessert was a heaven Glo Bar and a cookie. Sorry I don’t have pictures- my camera battery died on me.

So there you have it- a bit of my ‘balance’ during the crazy weekend.

~~~~~~~

I won’t be taking the day off as I will be in the kitchen baking up some orders. I’m also off to prepare something for a Top Secret Healthy Living Summit mission.

~~~~~~~

Coming up this week: I will be making a big announcement about Glo Bakery US Shipping. Stay tuned!

See you this afternoon for a grocery shopping trip, new strange foods, and new natural beauty products. I will also be talking more about Project Natural Glow!

Today’s Question:

What are your favourite foods to bring for long car trips?

angela signature thumb4   Solar Powered

Paige @ Running Around Normal August 3, 2009

Glad you got in some balance this weekend – even though the party sounded like a blast.

For car trips I like to bring portable fruit – like bananas, apples, grapes, and then also bars – usually Lara bars. Your snacks looked great!

Meghan@traveleatlove August 3, 2009

I love your travel snacks! And I am not Canadian but I am taking today off, a first for the summer! I can’t wait to spend some time in the sun.

Jodie August 3, 2009

My travel snacks are portable fruit, lots of water and nuts or granola and protein bars.

Shannon (The Daily Balance) August 3, 2009

Great snacks! Enjoy your day off!

Lauren August 3, 2009

Almonds and brown rice cakes! Perfect snack foods!
Enjoy your “holiday” monday!

Eve August 3, 2009

I wish it was a holiday in the US! Subway is really great since you can get in so many veggies, unlike the rest of the fast food joints!

Leah @ Simply Fabulous August 3, 2009

That’s great that you were able to eat the wraps while in the car. I ALWAYS seem to drop something on me lol.

Lizzie August 3, 2009

Greta travel snacks! No GM for me this morning – ran out of green stuff!! Looking forward to the US shipping announcement!! :)

MarathonVal August 3, 2009

Great idea about watching SATC while treadmilling – we have a treadmill and I am so gym-obsessed that I think I have forgotten about the joys of using it while watching a great movie on tv! Thanks for the reminder!

Madelin @ What is for breakfast? August 3, 2009

Nice sunglasses! Marc Jacobs?? I usually pack breakfast bars, fruit, home made muffins, water, nuts.

brandi August 3, 2009

i’m so excited to learn more about project natural glow!

i like to have a piece or 2 of fresh fruit, sandwiches/wraps made at home, healthy bars to carry in my purse, and dry things like cereal.

Dee @ The Apple Hill Adventurer August 3, 2009

wow … when i go to subway, the veggie sandwiches NEVER look that good … i have to always BEG them to put on more veggies, and they might give me one extra slice of cucumber or something .. thats why i never eat there anymore, its usually just bread with a couple pieces of veg .. if the sandwiches looked like yours, i might reconsider!

the bread even looks more tasty, and of normal size on yours haha, the bread at the subways around here always takes over the sub! lol

Hayley H August 3, 2009

Mentioning US shipping has me on the edge of my seat! :D

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope August 3, 2009

Glad to hear you got to get outside and soak up a few rays! That’s definitely one of my favorite things to do in the summer. :)

Loved hearing how you ate while on-the-go! Those pitas sound delicious, and I’m such a Subway girl while traveling. What would I do without those gas-station/Subway stops?! ;)

xxoo
Heather

april August 3, 2009

Great travel snacks! Eating in the car is the best part of trips in my opinion! haha.

I know your always looking for new workout moves that can be done at home so I just wanted to let you know I did a video post recently with ab moves.. all you need is a stability ball!

Ellen August 3, 2009

whenever i go on long car trips (more than 4 hours– i frequently do 10 hr + drives!) i always pack a small soft sided cooler, and bring a small tub of hummus. that way, i can go to subway and get a veggie sub (no cheese- i always ask for extra veggies) and layer the hummus on. much more satisfying, and about as healthy as it gets when you’re in the middle of south dakota! i’m kind of amazed that these days there are almost more subways than mcdonalds. still fast food, but definitely a better option.

Susan August 3, 2009

I always wrap my pita in paper towel too… also soaks up any tomato or dressing drippings!

I like to bring the usual stuff on car trips – cheese, nuts, dried fruit, real fruit, veggies, etc.

Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now August 3, 2009

I’m not in Canada, but I am still on my summer break here. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Lainie August 3, 2009

What a beautiful picture of you laying out! I wish I was a Canadian so I got the day off :)

Menden (SkinnyMenny) August 3, 2009

Your pita wraps look yummy!!

Enjoy your day :)

April August 3, 2009

I’m packing nuts, PB filled pretzels, PB Puffins, and i’m taking a container of oats and my whey protein :) That will be my breakfast while i’m away. I’ll also be taking my amazing grass container and some Clif Kidz bars just in case :D

Jessica August 3, 2009

AHHH US SHIPPING!
pita wraps look delicious.
-muffy

Laura August 3, 2009

I can’t wait for U.S. shipping!!! Will be on my toes until the announcement :-)
My boyfriend has a favorite car-ride snack… he takes 1/4 of a red or green pepper and spreads the inside part with hummus and sprinkles raw nuts on top of it – almonds, walnuts, whatever we’ve got on hand. It can be a little messy but for the most part the hummus stays put. Delish!

Hilary August 3, 2009

Ange,
Try cutting those figs into quarters and just putting a little balsamic on and slices of parmesan. Delicious and easy. (I forget if you eat dairy but if not I am sure just the balsamic would be good!)
Hilary

Tay August 3, 2009

I can’t wait for the next SATC movie either!! Just such girl fun :-)

On car trips I always pack healthy bars (larabars, kashi bars, etc), fruit, and I usually make a PB&J type of sandwich for an emergency if I get super hungry. I also always make sure to have carrots or snap peas because I like to munch munch munch in the car and those sure are munchy snacks!!

Foodie August 23, 2009

This is random, but I love the color of your toenail polish!