Brain Food

img 1299 thumb   Brain Food

Yesterday marked another first for me in the food department.

I tried the Lychee fruit!

Covered by a leathery rind or pedicarp which is pink to strawberry-red in color and rough in texture. A greenish-yellow variety is not grown in California at present. Fruit shape is oval, heart-shaped or nearly round, 1 to 1-1/2 inches in length. The edible portion or aril is white, translucent, firm and juicy. The flavor is sweet, fragrant and delicious. Inside the aril is a seed that varies considerably in size. The most desirable varieties contain atrophied seeds which are called "chicken tongue". They are very small, up to 1/2 inch in length. Larger seeds vary between 1/2 to 1 inch in length and are plumper than the chicken tongues. There is also a distinction between the lychee that leaks juice when the skin is broken and the "dry and clean" varieties which are more desirable.

Let’s zoom in…so you will see where I am coming from…

img 1299 thumb1   Brain Food

Pardon my language but…W…T…F!

I opened it up and exclaimed to Eric, ‘Oh my God, it looks like BRAIN!!’

It was squishy, translucent, and rubbery feeling. Just like a brain!

I took a deep breath and tasted it. It was so disturbing biting into this fruit let me tell you, and I am usually not one who is bothered by any textures at all!

I was disappointed in the taste though. It was a bit ‘off’ tasting and left a weird after taste. I am wondering if this is because I had the yellow variety and not the deep pink? I will have to keep my eyes peeled for the pink variety and try those.

So what should I do with the 4 that remain? A martini? Throw it in my green montser? :)

Trying new foods is fun though! I never knew what the inside of this fruit looked like!

Have you ever tried a lychee fruit?

~~~~~

We picked up some groceries yesterday since today is a holiday and the stores are closed.

img 1283 thumb   Brain Food

I also picked up another new fruit- a yellow fig! I have never had a fig before (unless fig cookies count?) so this will be interesting too! :)

img 1285 thumb   Brain Food

More organic kale because it looked fresh! :)

img 1284 thumb   Brain Food

img 1286 thumb   Brain Food

• 2 bags of red peppers (on 2 for $5!) Not organic though…
  • 3 zucchinis (more boats!)
  • 2 English cukes
  • few organic apples
  • organic tomatoes
  • organic spinach
  • organic free-trade coffee (for some new glo bars!)

img 1287 thumb   Brain Food

img 1288 thumb   Brain Food

• ripe bananas
  • Country Harvest Flax bread (For Eric to make his lunch’s with)
  • Nature’s Path Flax Plus (I think I should buy some stocks in NP!)

img 1289 thumb   Brain Food

• 3 sweet potatoes (can’t wait to make more fries and NOT burn them this time!)

Eric got a pineapple and chopped it up. He saved the core for me and I have been putting it in my green monsters so we don’t have to throw it out. It’s kinda of nice because it isn’t sickly sweet, but still gives the GM some nice pineapple flavour!

img 1296 thumb   Brain Food

Two new natural beauty products to review for Project Natural Glow!! They were both on sale. :)

img 1290 thumb   Brain Food

img 1301 thumb   Brain Food

Thank you for all of your helpful comments on my Project Natural Glow post!!! SO much great information! I have so many new product lines to check out.

img 1291 thumb   Brain Food

In tonight’s post I will be outlining Project Natural Glow and I will be talking about these products in much more detail.

Sketchie says, ‘Have one crazy civic day!’

img 1225 thumb   Brain Food

I’m back to the kitchen to bake, bake, bake!

angela signature thumb5   Brain Food

britt August 3, 2009

ha! that lychee looks so weird. i have never tried them before.

grocery shopping is definitely on my to-do list today. enjoy your holiday!

Jess August 3, 2009

I had lychee in Hawaii on our honeymoon – yum! It’s really good in martinis!

JT August 3, 2009

i love lychee. when it’s green/yellowish that means it’s not ripe yet. you should only buy the pinkish ones. they’re usually very juicy and sweet.

Randi August 3, 2009

Yes! I love lychee martinis! I recommend buying them canned. They taste much better that way. :) Love Alba products. I use Kiss My Face toothpaste – very good.

Lainie August 3, 2009

I have never had – or seen – a lychee fruit! Looks a little interesting…but I am definitely intrigued….

Shannon (The Daily Balance) August 3, 2009

Have not tried a lychee fruit! looks so weird! Let us know if/when you try the pink variety!

Leah @ Simply Fabulous August 3, 2009

I’ve seen the lychee fruit at buffets that i’ve been to before, without the skin.. they look so funny sitting in a huge bowl with 200 of them around. Definitely like brains.

The stores are open here! I was just out shopping :)

Cate August 3, 2009

I’ve only ever had lychees in a martini! :)

Your veggies look great. I moved from Canada to Florida last year and I’m shocked at how much veg here comes from Canada! The cukes and sweet peppers are always from BC or Ontario hot houses. So strange!

allijag August 3, 2009

OMG – i had the exact same reaction to lychees! I can usually stomach any fruit – but those were just WRONG!

Go the martini route – I dont’ think they are good for anythign else!

misti August 3, 2009

Lychee are amazing! They are treasured here in South Florida where they can be cultivated and only fruit for about a month or two in early summer. They are yum-o! I just tried a similar fruit, longan, which isn’t as sweet as a lychee.

You should try ‘em again! ;)

Eve August 3, 2009

I LOVE lychees! But I have had some that were not so great, I would look out for the pink ones. With these – definitely make a martini. I’m usually a wine drinker, but lychee martinis always catch my attention.

Stacey August 3, 2009

I’ve always been kind of weirded out by lychees, too! My friend from Miami introduced me to them, and he said the “proper” way to eat them is to soak the peeled lychees in a bowl of ice water and eat them straight out of the bowl. He said it improves/enhances the flavor somehow? I’m not really sure how that might work, but I ate them that way and they weren’t bad!

Meredith (Pursuing Balance) August 3, 2009

Lychees taste kind of like grapes . . . but I definitely like grapes way better!

Eilzabeth August 3, 2009

Sketchie looks so adorable! I definitely think you got a bad lychee – good ones taste almost like those red cherries that come in fruit cocktail. You can redeem the greenish ones by using them in something very sweet (the ones in martinis usually come out of a can of sugary syrup).

Good choice on the Alba shower gel – I just finished a huge bottle of that same scent! I’ve found that olive oil soaps can leave a lot of icky residue in the shower, so be on the lookout.

Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now August 3, 2009

I actually have tried one at a friend’s house, but it didn’t really look like that. I thought it was good, though!

Pam at Highway to Health August 3, 2009

I’m not sure where you would even get a lychee fruit, nevermind how to eat it!

I’ve been curious to experiment with figs as well. Let us know how it goes!

brandi August 3, 2009

i’ve seen that kiss my face stuff before and have been wondering about it. i can’t wait to read your thoughts on it.

have fun baking! that lychee does look strange :)

She-Fit August 3, 2009

They always have lychee at the frozen yogurt place that I go to as a topping… it looks too weird to try! haha… glad to know I’m not missing out on anything :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 3, 2009

I definitely think the Lychee fruit has potential…I agree that mine probably wasn’t ripe as it was a bit bitter! I’m not writing it out of my books just yet!
~A

Tanya August 3, 2009

I grew up in Hawaii, and I had a lychee and mango trees in my yard *nomnomnom* :) Lychee sorbet is soooo good!!

Jodie August 3, 2009

I grew up eating lychees. They taste really good in ice cream as well as in cakes.

Jessica August 3, 2009

Weird! I have a yogurt that incorporates the flavour sitting in my fridge, but i havent seen the actual fruit anywhere.
Cute pic of sketchie! I can’t wait to read the reviews … i keep seeing the alba brand at whole foods so im curious about it. I have abba shampoo, and i keep getting the two brands confused, lol. but both organic. *shrug*
cool tip about pineapple core in the GM! Must try that next time i get fresh pineapple!
-muffy

LilyBeans August 3, 2009

I’ve only had lychees dried or as juice. They were super sweet dried. I liked them but could only eat a few. I hope you find a good use for them!

Alexandra August 3, 2009

Lychees are BIZARRE. The first time I ate one I opened it up and said “It’s an alien egg!!! wuddufffuuuh???”

Haha.. and it was definitely strange in both texture and taste. I don’t know if I would buy them again. I purchased a container from Trader Joe’s and let my coworkers eat them all. Ha.

Amanda @ Panda Lunch August 3, 2009

That lychee looks like some kind of sea creature. I’ve only ever had the canned variety, it’s a bit unnerving looking at it in the raw like that. LoL. Very cute pic of Sketchie! Happy baking!

Aisha August 3, 2009

I once had to disect a sheep’s brain, ever since I cannot eat cottage cheese, the brain felt and resembled cottage cheese.
Also lychees look dodgy but are gorgeous and sweet, I’ve never actually noticed they look strange, oops. Also figs rock although some do find the texture slightly strange.
You cat is so cute and adorable.

megan August 3, 2009

I spent a summer in China and ate lychees quite a few times. they’re one of the few things safe to buy off the street and eat because of their shell. They tasted great to me, but maybe that was because of the fun experience :)

sara August 3, 2009

i’ve been eating lychee since i was a wee tot – they are almost an acquired taste even though they are like water – like cucumbers! try them again…. i love the texture becauwse they are juicy. think of a cherry – if it was white you’d think it was brain like too!
try them again… i was a little shocked at your description cuz i have always loved them (but definitely took a bit of time to get used to it) and now i crave them!

holly the healthy everythingtarian August 3, 2009

i ate lychee ALL THE TIME while teaching abroad in thailand…my guess is maybe the fresh stuff tastes better than the stuff shipped halfway around the world? don’t know…maybe give it another shot? it’s YUMMY!

Stephanie @ My Life In Motion August 3, 2009

That lychee fruit looks like a tongue to me. It just looks gross…I’m not sure I could eat it either. But I LOVE the Sketchie pic!

Mellissa August 3, 2009

I am NOT a fan of lychee, I have serious texture issues with it. I suggest a martini or green monster it, or you could try blending and freezing with the banana soft serve.

Sana August 3, 2009

I LOVE LOVE LOVE lychee fruit. I used to eat them all the time when I lived in Europe. The one’s in North America are ok, not as delicious as the one’s I used to eat when I was younger. Honestly, I have never tried doing anything with Lychee except eating them raw lol. I don’t think you would really taste lychee if you put it in a GM.

Red Head, Yellow Dog August 3, 2009

haha i grew up with a lychee tree outside my bedroom window in Miami. never was a fan of them though!

ari August 3, 2009

my dad works in agriculture and one of his growers has a lychee tree so he brought me some branches. i had never had them before but they were awesome! i loved them! i keep asking for more but he’s runnin low =/ lol but they were deeeeelish!

bobbi August 3, 2009

I love Lychee fruit!

Susan August 3, 2009

Thanks for showing what lychee is all about! I always pass it at the grocery store, consider, then chicken out :P I’d love to try fresh fig though, I love dried ones.

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope August 3, 2009

Definitely an odd fruit! I’ve never even heard of it before. It actually reminds me of a tulip haha! ;)

I totally vote for adding it to a green smoothie… maybe try freezing them beforehand too.

Great grocery load! I’ve never tried a fig either, so I’m excited to hear what you think.

xxoo
Heather

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) August 3, 2009

I grew up eating lychee so I never thought of it being a weird taste. Funny how that works. Maybe the one you got wasn’t sweet enough? You’ll have to give it another shot. Try the pink kind!

CHRISTINE August 3, 2009

not for nothing but I’m not sure who I’m crushing on more – you, your blog, your food ideas, your husband, your cat – hee hee.. I will figure out how to upload a pic so you know who is stalking you, lol. You are inspiring me – Big Time! Thank you Thank You Thank You ~ =) I’ve been dieting and all but I’m so driven by your food ideas to step up the healthy eating not only for myself but for my children ~

Cate August 3, 2009

Lychees are one of my favorite fruits, next to mangoes. If you like tropical fruits like pineapples, papaya, mangoes, then lychees should be up your alley too.

Page 1 of 212»