Vegan Zucchini Boats

Hi there!

Don’t forget to enter Amazing Grass Grand Prize Giveaway- the contest ends today at 7:30pm EST. Up for grabs are SEVEN 17oz tubs of Amazing Grass powders!

img 1148 thumb   Vegan Zucchini Boats

Last night, I walked into the kitchen, of course with no idea what to make for dinner (do I ever have a plan???). Remember when I tried to plan my meals for a full week in advance??? Did you notice it lasted one week? haha.

I am learning to embrace my true self I guess…

I am just not a meal planner!

Whew, that felt good to get out.

Moving on…

I opened the veggie keeper and I spotted 3 zucchinis. Hmm.

The wheels were turning. My eyes glanced around the fridge door.

Half a package of St Ives Veggie Ground Round.

Half a bottle of salsa.

This could work!

I decided to make Zucchini boats, which I realized I haven’t made in a very long time! I always forget how quick and easy they are. It was seriously 5-10 minutes of prep work (and that included the photography!).

Here we go…

Step 1. Carve the inside out (save scraps!):

img 1119 thumb   Vegan Zucchini Boats

Step 2. Mix equal parts of salsa and ground round (or whatever tickles your fancy!):

img 1130 thumb   Vegan Zucchini Boats

I had half a bottle of salsa left so I just mixed it right in!

img 1122 thumb   Vegan Zucchini Boats

Step 3. Fill the boats! This is the fun part :D

img 1126 thumb   Vegan Zucchini Boats

Step 4: Sprinkle cheese over top

img 1127 thumb   Vegan Zucchini Boats

Step 5 (optional): Take scraps and make a mini casserole!

img 1129 thumb   Vegan Zucchini Boats

Step 6: Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350F.

It’s that easy! :)

I was blown away by the taste. Eric also loved this dish….even the veggie products! Amazing!

img 1160 thumb   Vegan Zucchini Boats

The Veggie ground round toasted up in the oven and it was almost like a ‘loaded’ potato taste.

img 1159 thumb   Vegan Zucchini Boats

I had about 4 oz of Merlot:

img 1150 thumb   Vegan Zucchini Boatsimg 1136 thumb   Vegan Zucchini Boats

Eric had a Cerveza ;)

img 1138 thumb   Vegan Zucchini Boats

With a side of toast with some olive oil margarine to keep the toast theme going!

img 1155 thumb   Vegan Zucchini Boats

These zucchini boats were so good. I could have eaten 3…or 4…  ;)

img 1145 thumb   Vegan Zucchini Boats

I have that leftover mini casserole for part of my lunch today…can’t wait!

Dessert was 1/2 a S’moore Glo Bar:

img 0950 thumb   Vegan Zucchini Boats

And some Banana softserve:

img 0526 thumb1   Vegan Zucchini Boats

~~~~~

Do you stuff veggies?

Potatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, peppers, etc??

What is your favourite way to stuff a veggie? I sense a huge stuffing obsession coming on in this kitchen…. :D

Ciao!

angela signature thumb77   Vegan Zucchini Boats

j July 31, 2009

Hmmm…I’m thinking that would be a great way to try to get my boyfriend to eat zucchini!

leslie July 31, 2009

i loooove stuffed vegetables. i’ve done zucchini in a bunch of different ways, and stuffed peppers are delicious too – my favorite was marinated in white wine and stuffed with figs and couscous. i made a hummus stuffed portobello mushroom a while back that was amazing. and anything stuffed into an acorn squash is unbelievable!

i’m rambling. i love cooking! :)

Jocelyn July 31, 2009

Oh man! I am going to Costco today for tons of veggies, and I think I know what I am making for dinner tonight!

Annie D. July 31, 2009

OMG TOO FUNNY! I made something similar last night!!!! Vegetarian Stuffed Zucchini! Check out my blog from yesterday. AND I’m making the banana sorbet tonight! HAHA!!!

Casey Leigh July 31, 2009

OMG those look delicious! I’m going to have to try that recipe out.

Have a great weekend!

Amy July 31, 2009

I make zuchinni boats all the time. My favorite is evoo/basamic and goat cheese! Delicious.

I use the same flavor combo and make stuffed mushroom caps, except I add the chopped mushroom stems.

Another favorite: stuffed pepepers! Ground beef/can of tomato soup, tons of chopped veggies and cheese. YUM!

Jess July 31, 2009

I love loaded baked potatoes-my fave combo is brock with ranch dressing. But I also do fajita style with onions, peppers and mushrooms plus cheese or Italian style with veggies (this is one of the only ways I can choke down brussel sprouts) and vodka sauce (or whatever sauce you enjoy). Love stuffed peppers with veggies, rice and tomato sauce. Yum!

Kerri July 31, 2009

WOW! These look unbelievable! Good thing I have to go grocery shopping this weekend…thanks for taking some of the guess work out for me :) I can already tell I’m going to love these.

-Kerri from Enzymatic Therapy

Taylor July 31, 2009

I always forget to stuff veggies, but I have had stuffed peppers before and I loved them! Your zucchini boats look so cheesy and delicious :)

Genie July 31, 2009

That looks so delicious!! Thanks for the new food idea! :)

Rosey Rebecca July 31, 2009

My mother makes the best stuffed peppers! She fills them with Italian sausage, tomato sauce, and cheese. So dangerous, but sooo good!

Your zucchini boats look fun! I’ll have to try them! :-)

Christina July 31, 2009

Being from a Greek family we stuff peppers or tomatos but this looks great! What kind of vegan cheese do you use?

Eve July 31, 2009

That looks absolutely delicious!!! I love fake ground meat and don’t buy it enough. Yeah for hubby enjoying another veggie dinner :)

allijag July 31, 2009

YUM! That looks so good, what a great idea! I’ve made cucumber boats but never zuke boats!

Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now July 31, 2009

That looks really good. It’s like healthified comfort food!

Whitney July 31, 2009

Ange! I must make those, right now. How yummy.

Jessica July 31, 2009

I love stuffed veg but i never make them! I bet my bf would love this. :)
-muffy

Leah July 31, 2009

Chili stuffed bell peppers are THE BEST!! I use Bob’s Red Mill 13 Bean chili mix and make a mean vegetarian chili and stuff the leftover chili into peppers for a new second meal! Yum!

Jenn July 31, 2009

I’m married to a Greek and we eat stuffed veggies AT LEAST once a week in our house. We stuff tomatoes, peppers, zuchinni and best of all, the little baby eggplants – so yummy…

Here in SW Ontario, tomato stuffing season (LOL) begins any day now as the ones in our garden are just turning ripe! Woo hoo!

Alicia July 31, 2009

My mom makes a black bean soup and then puts it in hollowed out mini pumpkins…it is so delicious, but you have to be careful not to eat too much of your bowl!

Susan July 31, 2009

I’m not a meal planner either! In fact, I had planned on making spring rolls for supper tonight, and ended up making something completely different on the spot. I’m more of a fan of throwing random ingredients together as I go rather than planning out and following recipes. Oh well!

The only thing I stuff are pitas ;)

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope July 31, 2009

Great recipe! I have my own version of Zucchini Boats up as a recipe on my blog with beans/salsa/feta and just LOVE it! Such a delicious, healthy, and simple recipe. :)

xxoo
Heather

Jess July 31, 2009

I tried a recipe like this the other day – complete and utter failure! Yours looks so much better. I think my problem was that I had too much stuffing and decided to just chop the zucchini into it.

Katie July 31, 2009

Mmm… that looks AWESOME! I love things that are quick, easy, and tasty – I think these fit the boat. Can’t wait to try them!

Katharina July 31, 2009

Oh my gosh this looks so yummy! I love roasting zucchini in the oven :D

EatingRD July 31, 2009

I love stuffed veggies! I just made a pesto-quinoa stuffed bell pepper on my blog, and I also stuff squash with a tex-mex mixture. Yum! Looks sooo good! I’ve got to try that soft serve asap!
-kristen

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2009

All of your ideas sounds freaking fabulous. :D

And I LOL’d @ ‘tomato stuffing season’ LOL Send em my way!!!

CATIEDIDIT July 31, 2009

What’d you think of the Little Penguin? I saw it in the store today but chose a shiraz (a different winery, too) instead. The bottle was cute so I was curious :)

Rebeca July 31, 2009

Yum! I love stuffing veggies! Sweet Potatoes and Avocado is my fave- I even dedicated a post to it. Peppers are an obvious one… acorn squash, tomatoes, everything!

Sana July 31, 2009

OOO, that seems really yummy. I stuff green bell peppers with quinoa, spices, sauteed sweet onion, and some garlic. I add meat sometimes too or you can add veggie ground round.

Maureen July 31, 2009

These look great
Did you use soy cheese and if so what brand as I have yet to try a vegan cheese that has the same flavor as cheddar?

Heather July 31, 2009

Stuffed bell peppers with beans and quinoa or millet are a big favorite. So delicious, easy and healthy! Zucchini boats are also a great thing to stuff, but I don’t make them nearly as much.

Faith July 31, 2009

This looks so delicious and healthy! I’ll have to try this recipe! I recently stuffed red peppers with brown rice and salmon…so yummy, and it was a great way to use up leftovers!

Tay August 1, 2009

You just gave me a great idea to make stuffed zucchinis and bell peppers tomorrow. Thanks!!

Lauren August 2, 2009

Stuffed bell peppers! Stuff them with brown rice/quinoa, chick peas, kidney beans, tomatoes, walnuts, etc…YUM!!! :)

maria August 25, 2009

Spray a skillet with olive oil (I use my “misto” sprayer and just love it). Saute a chopped zucchini, chopped mushrooms, minced garlic and a chopped onion until tender. Add black beans and cooked quinoa and some tom paste to thicken. I used cumin, paprika and cayenne to season but you can use anything you like! Oh, and fresh parley, chopped. Cover and simmer until you remember it’s on the stove. haha.

Halve and core red peppers. Pop them into the microwave for 2 minutes to soften. Fill halves with mixture. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and a little smattering of the cheese of your choice. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

YUM!