Bake, Invoice, Pack, Ship

Good afternoon beauties!

I’ve been going non-stop today trying to get all of these orders complete and shipped out! It’s tough being a one woman business at times.

I made a some Spirit and Zest Glo Bars

Zest (Orange hazelnut)

img 0172 thumb   Bake, Invoice, Pack, Ship

I love zest. So fun.

img 0175 thumb   Bake, Invoice, Pack, Ship

And Spirit (coconut carob)

img 0186 thumb   Bake, Invoice, Pack, Ship

And then I experiment by making my first attempt at a gluten-free Glo Bar. You’ll never guess what I used- Gluten-free puffed MILLET! lol

img 0184 thumb   Bake, Invoice, Pack, Ship

Surprisingly, the puffed millet tastes much nicer than the cooked stuff.

In a Glo Bar:

img 0209 thumb   Bake, Invoice, Pack, Ship

While it looks pretty, it just wasn’t up to Glo Bakery standards, I’m afraid! Just because something is gluten-free shouldn’t mean that it should taste any less!!!

The puffed millet was REALLY soft and the bars didn’t have any texture. I think I am going to look into purchasing bulk gluten-free oats and crisp rice, so I can make exact replicas of my Glo Bars. Who knows, perhaps I can switch over all of my products to gluten-free some day and make all of my Glo Bars gluten-free by default. Definitely a possibility down the road.

Then I made a dozen Pumpkin Apple Raisin loaves. Today was my first attempt at making them vegan. I removed the honey and egg and used chia seeds, maple syrup, and egg replacer. My customer is lucky today- she gets to sample all of these for FREE! :)

I used a new organic Maple Syrup today…

img 0166 thumb   Bake, Invoice, Pack, Ship

The end result was a very moist and dense pumpkin loaf with absolutely no-oil to speak of!

img 0194 thumb   Bake, Invoice, Pack, Ship

Pack, pack, pack, invoice, invoice, invoice…

I have to get this off my chest.

My packing tape thing-a-ma-bob and I do NOT get along. It is the most cantankerous thing I’ve ever seen! The damn tape always gets tangled and stuck to the side. I dream of getting a new ‘souped up’ one some day. HAHA.

img 0222 thumb   Bake, Invoice, Pack, Ship  img 0214 thumb   Bake, Invoice, Pack, Ship img 0216 thumb   Bake, Invoice, Pack, Ship img 0217 thumb   Bake, Invoice, Pack, Ship img 0219 thumb   Bake, Invoice, Pack, Ship img 0220 thumb   Bake, Invoice, Pack, Ship

Ok, I have to boot it to the post office so I can ship this stuff out by 4pm! Then it is back for more baking in the kitchen.

See you tonight!

Don’t forget to enter the Awesome Amazing Grass contest!

angela signature thumb47   Bake, Invoice, Pack, Ship

LindsayK July 20, 2009

All these treats look so great! I just made your ‘nuttin but pumpkin’ muffins, they are so amazing – thanks for sharing the recipe!

Sarah July 20, 2009

Angela,

I would LOVE for your glo bars to be gluten free (that and shipping to the US) Everything looks yummy, some day I will get to place an order and try them :-)

Sarah

Amanda @ Panda Lunch July 20, 2009

The glo bars look delicious. Yay for experimenting with gluten free ingredients, it’s good to see so many people having more awareness about GF foods. Once you’re able to ship to the US, I’ll definitely be sampling some GF goodies from Glo Bakery!!

I’ve been reading your blog for a while now, and maybe I missed something, I’m just curious, did you leave your day job to pursue Glo Bakery full time? If so, you’re my hero, I hope to one day have my own design business but can’t get up the courage to make the leap!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2009

Amanda- Yup, I left a FT research job in January after we moved…it was the best thing I ever did. I totally believe in listening to your heart about your passions in life. Took me a while to figure that out (and 7 years in university), but better late than never! Good luck with your own aspirations! ~A

brandi July 20, 2009

i love zest too! IT makes such a big difference.

Kim July 20, 2009

I have the same issue with my packing tape dispenser!!! We do not get along!!

I bet the GF oats & crisp rice will be great in the Glo bar! :) I am so excited that you are exploring GF! :)

Kim

Shannon (The Daily Balance) July 20, 2009

HATE packing tape! Seems like no matter which model you use, it always gets jammes or stuck! Your goodies look amazing – I can’t wait until you can ship to the US! ;)

Leah July 20, 2009

Yum! I am SO excited for you to be able to ship to the US hopefully very soon! Any word on the package stalking?

Scheri July 20, 2009

Those look so good! I’m happy I came upon your blog. I need some extra inspiration when it comes to cooking :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2009

RE: Package stalking- It still says it is ‘en route’ :) Should be there tomorrow or Wed!

Scheri- Thank you!

Paige @ Running Around Normal July 20, 2009

You are putting in so much hard work. But it’s so worth it. I can’t believe the amount you’re shipping out with your business just including one of you. Everything looks awesome, too. I’ll be ordering sometime soon.

Eve July 20, 2009

It looks like you are doing such a fabulous job with your bakery! Keep up all the hard work, it will continue to pay off.

jessica July 20, 2009

Hi Angela! I have been reading your blog for some time now, and I just love it! I check a few times a day for updates. Just wanted to let you know, in regards to this post, I would definitely order some of your bars if in the future, you make a few gluten-free choices. Your bars look so amazingly tasty, and I have wanted to order, but can’t have wheat. I am in Canada as well, so just for reference, you’d have at least one customer if you decide to keep experimenting with gluten-free. I know it’s tough to make things with the “right” taste/texture with gf ingredients…trust me, I know!! Anyway, keep up the good work with the blog!!

George July 20, 2009

Hi Angela,
I’ve been Reading your blog for while, just wanted to say that I find it really inspiring. I’m a recent graduate who has struggled to get a job during the global economic downturn (just got one though phew! I’m lucky), your posts have made me smile when I was feeling a little blue
I’m going to start a business on the side, I love Reading about successful and gutsy entrepreneurs such as yourself.

Globakery products goods look delicious, do you ever plan to write a cookbook?
Unfortunately, as I live in Scotland, uk it’s unlikely i’ll get the chance to sample your glo bars directly :(g

JB July 20, 2009

coincidentally, i JUST bought that exact same maple syrup yesterday! :)
the pumpkin loaf looks amazing!

aisha July 20, 2009

hey, instead of puffed millet, have you tried puffed quinoa, it has a nicer texture as far as I can remember, it stays pretty well in milk.
Also wow on the pumpkin bars, any chance of ever shipping to the UK? I am allergic to baking.

Spotty Prep July 20, 2009

Wow that pumpkin loaf looks and sounds divine!

Run Niki Run July 20, 2009

All of that looks SO delicious!!! Also, I have the same issues with packing tape. We just don’t get along.

MarathonVal July 20, 2009

PUHLEASE get us some bars in the US already! I’m jealous that the Canadians have already gotten to try those scrumptious treats. I drool every day looking at your postings!!

Alex July 20, 2009

These bars are OUT OF CONTROL!!! (In a good way) I can’t believe how yummy they look (haha, almost wrote ‘taste’) and how professional they look!!

They’re works of art, Angela!

Casey July 20, 2009

Wow, that baking looks SO delicious!!!

leslie July 20, 2009

i have the same hatred for those packing tape thingamabobs. whenever i work on a shoot and have to repackage samples, i get into serious fights with the tape. it’s very awkward.

btw, i just love the names of your bars! :)

Jen July 20, 2009

You are just amazing!!! I cant wait to hear more about the vegan bread and gluten free bars :D

Becky July 20, 2009

All of your Glo Bars look amazing! Yum, wish I was the customer getting the free samples! :) If I baked stuff like that all day, I would definitely have a tough time not eating all of it!

Carolyn July 20, 2009

I am so excited to hear you are working on making the bar GF, and I really appreciate that you believe they should taste just as great as the regular ones. Can’t wait until you perfect the GF version and are shipping to the US!

Rebeca July 20, 2009

Best baker ever…

I love your attitude so many would just throw those out there because they’re GF…

*Glo Bakery* needs to move to the States (preferably right next door to me) so I can just order things every day :)

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope July 20, 2009

Wow Angela! All those goodies look so good!!! You are definitely meant to be a baker. :)

xxoo
Heather

britt July 20, 2009

yumm!! everything looks so wonderful. i can’t wait til you start shipping to the u.s. so i can try everything. i’m up for a sampler pack for sure!!

Katrina (gluten free gidget) July 20, 2009

Cream Hill Estates is a Canadian company that sells the most A-MAZING gluten free oats EVER! You could try contacting them.

Krista July 21, 2009

I’m just thrilled for you that the bakery has taken off! Go, girl! :)

Maggie July 21, 2009

Mmmmm, I love putting zest in things. Just wondering what you guys do with the rest of the fruit, do you eat a lot of oranges?
I have the same packing tape thing-a-ma-bob, gotta agree that it is a big ol pain in the bum, the tape is always sticking to the metal or you constantly have to re-feed the tape, bah!
Do you think you’ll be bringing back your Glo’reos? I’ve wanted to order one ever since I saw them on your bakery site.

Laura July 21, 2009

Wow, GF Glo Bars??? Thanks for trying to make something for us GFers. :) I can’t wait for a final product and US shipping. I am restricted in the types of energy bars I buy b/c so many have wheat (and lots of soy, which I try to minimize). I stick to Lara Bars as much as possible.