10 Mile Race: Prepping Part 2

logo thumb2   10 Mile Race: Prepping Part 2

We have another recipe from Zesty today! Take it away, Zesty!

A Treat For The BBQ:

Cooking ground turkey on it’s own can be difficult to keep juicy and avoid having it dry out. With that being said, I thought I would try another technique that I normally use with ground beef, an egg and some bread crumbs.  I also spiced this up a little bit with some ginger and garlic chili paste.  It was a nice hint of flavor which went well with the savory and hoisin barbecue sauce.

turkey burger final thumb   10 Mile Race: Prepping Part 2

Ingredients

Ground Turkey
    1 Egg
    1/4 Cup bread crumbs
    1 Tsp. Garlic Ginger Chili Paste ( Purchased in a jar)
    Salt and Pepper
    1 Tsp. Savory
    Pita Buns
    2 Tbsp. Bottled Barbecue Sauce
    1 Tbsp. Hoisin Sauce

Method

1. Preheat your grill to medium high heat;  Mix hoisin and barbecue sauce together in a bowl.
   2. Add ground turkey to a large mixing bowl.

turkey burger 1 thumb   10 Mile Race: Prepping Part 2
   3. Add all other ingredients and mix together gently.  Do not over mix.

turkey burger 2 thumb   10 Mile Race: Prepping Part 2

turkey burger 3 thumb   10 Mile Race: Prepping Part 2
   4. Form into patties and let rest on wax paper in the fridge for 15 minutes.

turkey burger 4 thumb   10 Mile Race: Prepping Part 2
   5. Once chilled and set, place on grill and let cook on one side for about 6 minutes; close lid.

turkey burger 5 thumb   10 Mile Race: Prepping Part 2
   6. When a crust forms on the burger flip it over and apply the barbecue sauce and continue cooking until complete.

turkey burger 6 thumb   10 Mile Race: Prepping Part 2
   7. Toast your buns on the top rack while the burgers are finishing the cooking process.
   8. Remove from heat and assemble.

turkey burger 7 thumb   10 Mile Race: Prepping Part 2
   9. ENJOY!

Zesty Tip: When working with any ground meat especially turkey, it is essential that you season it really well with whatever flavor you care for.  Do not over work the meat when forming it into patties or balls.  By over working it you will make the meat tough and not as enjoyable.

~~~~~~~~~

Thanks Zesty!

food thumb9   10 Mile Race: Prepping Part 2I spent the morning finishing up my Glo Bakery menu/price list. I am loving the new look of it!

Publisher > Word

I wasn’t overly hungry for lunch today after my big breakfast, but I knew I had to get my fuel in so I rolled up my sleeves!

I had some leftover quinoa in a spaghetti sauce with hummus. WOW this combination blew my taste buds away! It was so simple, but so very perfect!

img 9921 thumb   10 Mile Race: Prepping Part 2

And a delicious apple on the side. I finally found out what flavour this is, a FUJI! They are SO juicy and flavourful! My new favourite.

img 9916 thumb   10 Mile Race: Prepping Part 2

img 9911 thumb   10 Mile Race: Prepping Part 2

This lunch was rocking my socks off! I loved the quinoa + sauce + hummus combo! Mmmm.

img 9910 thumb   10 Mile Race: Prepping Part 2

I’m going to get some water and vitamins now.

Ok, we are off to a sports store to check out running hats/visors! I will probably buy some Cliff shots, but I’m not sure if I will use them tomorrow or not. I am a bit worried they might upset my stomach after reading your comments. Oh, and where does one store them while running? In my clevage? LOL

angela signature thumb42   10 Mile Race: Prepping Part 2

See you later for another fun guest post on exercising with friends and the rest of my race prep + eats!

ModelBehavior July 18, 2009

That looks amazing!

P.S. for your chance to win some OIKOS coupons, visit my site!

Kristen July 18, 2009

The little pocket in the back of your shorts should fit the shots…they are pretty squishable and I’ve never had a package break. In a pinch, you can get two in there but the problem then becomes getting them out :)

Good luck tomorrow! (and you could always eat a shot today, see how your tummy feels and then make the call tomorrow)

Kayzilla July 18, 2009

XD
I used to store things in my uniboob bra You got the extra space for it in those things, lol! Never store change in it, though. They tend to either fly out or make a rediculous amount of noise that really confuses people.

One of these days I need to hunt down some quinoa. >: ( It’s so hard to find in Texas! Grrr. But it looks so yummy and worth it. One of these days…

Becky July 18, 2009

The eats look delish! I love grilling turkey burgers, and agree that the seasoning makes a world of difference. I love adding cilantro and seasonings to mine :)

And about where to store Cliff Shots….don’t do what I did! For my marathon I safety-pinned them to my shorts so I had access anytime. Well The safety pin rubbed against my skin on my belly THE WHOLE RACE and I had an owwie there for about a week!

Hangry Pants July 18, 2009

My shirts did not have a pocket, so I put the shots or whatever in a resealable zippoc on the side of my bra, like under my arm.

Angi July 18, 2009

Can you please store them in your cleavage? I almost snorted GM on my laptop when I read that!

Good luck tomorrow!

Faith July 18, 2009

I love fuji apples! Have you tried cameo apples? They smell like honeydew melon and taste like a cross between melon and apple…amazingly good!

nicole- chasing blue July 18, 2009

Is your race giving out gu/shots? If you are well hydrated and well fed, you should be okay. Most people tell you to not try anything new on race day.

Good luck tomorrow!

SweetKaroline July 18, 2009

I love your blog but wonder why if you eat a vegan diet, you would feature a turkey burger recipe?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2009

Karoline- While I don’t eat meat myself, I do recognize that many people do. It isn’t my intention to never have any meat products on the website. It is a personal choice. ~A

Susan July 18, 2009

Thanks for the great recipe Zesty!! I’ve never tried making my own turkey burgers (or any burgers) before, maybe I will now :)

I always put my fuel in a little plastic baggie and safety pin it to the bottom of my shirt. That way I can just tear the baggie off when I want to access it, and it doesn’t get too sweaty there.

The Running Yogini July 18, 2009

I safety pin gels and shot blocks to my shirt or shorts during races. Also, I have tucked sports beans into my wristband. Good Luck :-)

Cait (Cait's Plate) July 18, 2009

I used to be strictly a Fuji girl myself! I’ve since switched to gala but I would never turn down a Fuji apple, especially with some almond butter :)

Tay July 18, 2009

That looks great! I’ve added pasta sauce to quinoa, but never thought to have it in a wrap ALONG with hummus!! I’ll have to try that out – thanks for the tip! :-)

Lindsay @ A Taste of Sparkle July 18, 2009

I’m sure you’ve already gotten your goods for the race by now, but I just thought I would let you know – Luna Sport Moons rock my socks! They gave me energy and didn’t upset my stomach at all, plus they taste great!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope July 18, 2009

WOW, that is a great turkey burger recipe! Thanks for sharing that one.

xxoo