If It Ain’t Broke…

Don’t fix it!!!

Well, I certainly needed to take that advice today while baking!

For some strange reason, I decided I wanted to make a new gluten-free brownie recipe, when I already had a perfectly good one.

And I had TWO horrible disasters!!!

Disaster 1:

img 8708 thumb   If It Ain’t Broke…

I thought to myself, ‘Damn, I should have used a regular brownie pan instead of the bites! I clearly scooped too much batter into the mini muffin tins.’

So what do I do? I make it AGAIN! Starting over from scratch. This was after I had already cleaned up and put the dishes away!

Disaster TWO in a pan:

img 8713 thumb   If It Ain’t Broke…

Nope, guess it wasn’t the pan- it was the MY recipe!!! hahaha

I’m sure someday I will look back on this and laugh…

img 8714 thumb   If It Ain’t Broke…

Brownie anyone? LOL!!

img 8721 thumb   If It Ain’t Broke…

Ok, ok when I took this picture I was laughing pretty hard. Isn’t that the saddest looking brownie you have EVER seen!!! bahaha.

So after wasting a good 2-3 hours (You don’t want to know how much clean-up this caused me!!), I made batch #3- the tried and true gluten free brownie bites I made earlier in the week. img 8733 thumb   If It Ain’t Broke…

Much, much much better!

img 8736 thumb   If It Ain’t Broke…

Then I had a quick lunch around 2pm using the Cookout salad for inspiration. I added black beans.

img 8751 thumb   If It Ain’t Broke…

And a blueberry banana walnut mini loaf:

img 8748 thumb   If It Ain’t Broke…

These loaves are to DIE for!!!!

Along with tea and an apple:

img 8745 thumb   If It Ain’t Broke…

Ok, I am off to ship my last order of the day!

I definitely will need my workout today- I need a stress release! :) I feel like a run because it is gorgeous outside, but I may to hill walking. We shall see.

Off to pack my order! See you tonight for Summer Glow Boot Camp Topic #1!

Today’s question: What is the worst disaster you have had in the kitchen?

Have a lovely day!

angela signature thumb3   If It Ain’t Broke…

Jess July 2, 2009

I’ve had some funny “disasters” – like the time I was hard boiling eggs for science lab at school (I’m a teacher) and started grading papers and forgot about them. My roommate wondered what was on the stove and took the lid off…all the water had evaporated and the egg shot straight up out of the pan and exploded! Or the time I got stuck in a parent-teacher conference for far too long and came home to a charred piece of ham in the crock pot….

My favorite, though, is when I forgot I had put the teapot on to boil and forgot for so long that the teapot MELTED. Thank goodness there wasn’t a fire!

Disclaimer: I’m really not as absentminded as those stories make me sound – I promise!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2009

haha oh man those are funny stories!! It happens to the best of us I guess… ;)

VeggieGirl July 2, 2009

My worst kitchen disaster = I was six years old, baking a batch of PB Cookies. I added 1/2 cup of baking soda instead of 1/2 a teaspoon of it!!! Had to call poison control, haha.

AGS July 2, 2009

Cooking disaster. Somehow, my brother and I managed to make chocolate chip cookies with half the flour (or maybe none at all). We were about 7 and 9 at the time, and my Mom put out the instructions before she left for her daily hour-long walk. She returned to a kitchen filled with smoke a cookie sheet and charred cookies on the floor (that’s another part of the story). . . fortunately, she is the eternal optimist and instructed us to reclaim the remains of the cookies and “sprinkles” for ice-cream.

AGS July 2, 2009

Jess — no worries. I’ve nearly ruined two tea kettles that way.

Jessica July 2, 2009

Stop teasing me with your mini loaves! I want one bad! lol!
The worst kitchen disaster I had was probably when I made a gorgeous carrot cake, with decoration and all — my boyfriend and i lived in separate states at the time and he was there visiting. we each got a slice, and to our dismay when we went back for seconds, the top had been eaten off by my great dane. Blast! Lol it is totally funny now though.
(And I have a top on the cake I just made, seeing as how I still have the dog and the table the first cake was on, LOL)
-Muffy

EatingRD July 2, 2009

oh man, I’m so sorry! How did they taste? they may be good mushed and topped on ice cream? I don’t feel so bad now when I have a terrible disaster, which always seems to happen more with baking than cooking because baking is more like a precise science. I still have yet to master baking without a recipe
-kristen

Sam July 2, 2009

I’ve had numerous kitchen nightmares. I’m the kind of person who screws up making cookies! Last time they all spread out together to form one massive cookie…not that that was a bad thing mind you!

Krista July 2, 2009

My worst kitchen disaster; I had a nice big pot of bubbling vegan chili in a pot and when I opened the cupboard above the stove to get something, the full bag of brown sugar fell out and landed smack in the middle of the chili. I took me hours (or felt like it) to clean up!

Valerie July 2, 2009

Oh no, those poor brownies! I’ve definitely had some kitchen disasters but one always sticks out in my mind:

When I was about 7 or 8 my mom and I made chocolate chip cookies. This was a pretty usual thing and they always turned out great so we were surprised when they came out black and burned to a crisp after 10 minutes!! It was then that my mom got that “oh no” look on her face before going to the cupboard to retrieve the flour she’d used – only to find out it was icing sugar! We hardly ever had any in the house so she’d grabbed the first thing she saw that looked like flour (and in the dark pantry they look similar, especially since we buy all baking supplies at the bulk food stores) and since I was measuring it out and didn’t know any better, it got put in there instead! We always laugh about it now and that’s definitely taught me the difference between the two!

Kimberly Lee July 2, 2009

I think my worst kitchen disaster was at our church’s Valentine’s Day banquet. The youth group that I work with had decided to host a fundraiser by preparing Valentine’s day dinner for the couples in the church. As a youth worker, I was picked to oversee the food preparation. Things were going great, until I moved the cutting board from the island to the top of the stove – not realizing that someone had turned on the burner. 15 minutes later the smell of melted plastic was waifting thru the building.

Karen July 2, 2009

Very interesting documentary coming out about the dietary evolution of man. Not finished yet, but on the sidebar there is a link to sign up for notification. Anyone interested in nutrition should watch it. I’m not saying it’s the be-all end-all, but it’s heavily researched.

Diana July 2, 2009

that wrap looks so good! have a great run – or hills…whatever you decide!
Diana

brandi July 2, 2009

i’ve had plenty of disasters, but at least you’re laughing at it! I do remember some funny ones and stuff that just turned out completely inedible. BLech.

Chelsea July 2, 2009

Worst culinary disaster was trying to make vegan tofu cheese. I don’t know if I did something wrong or if I just hate fake cheese but it was so foul we just had to pour it out- a whole huge pot worth. It’s kind of nice because anything I ruin now will still be fine compared to the fake cheese monstrosity.

Jenn July 2, 2009

Ooooh, I have had my share of disasters. Most distressing is when I’m cooking for my son’s class at school. Worst one ever was when I was a teenager baking some lemon squares. I mixed up the measurements from a recipe and transposed the measurements I was supposed to use of sugar and salt. For instance 1/2 cup of salt and 1 tsp of sugar….or something like that. My lemon squares had waaaaay more pucker than any of us cared for. Funny thing was I had NO IDEA I had done it until my Dad bit into the delectable square and just about choked from disgust and surprise!!

Jenn July 2, 2009

Oh, and I wanted to know, did you follow that new recipe to the “tee” and the brownies turned out like that? Or were you making subsitutions? I always wonder when I use a recipe that turns out poorly without me modifying it…”has this damned thing ever been tested?!” I mean, who publishes recipes unless they’ve tried it themselves?

Just wondering/griping. :)

Low July 2, 2009

I usually just end up spilling things. Once I poured a whole pot of freshly boiled pasta into the (very dirty) sink. I was so mad!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope July 2, 2009

Haha, I love how you’re able to laugh at your mistakes in the kitchen and actually take something away from them instead of quitting and getting frustrated! :)

When I was like 5 years old and one of my older brothers was 9, we took a little of basically every last thing in the kitchen and combined it all in a huge bowl. Unfortunately, we both promised we’d taste it after we made it… ICK! That was probably the most disgusting thing I’ve ever tried in my life! HAHA, I can STILL remember that taste!

xxoo
Heather

Courtney July 2, 2009

Angela… same shizz happened over here last night! I think I’m so betty crocker, getting my baking on, trying to make things healthier – and nothing came out! 2 hours later, honestly, i just sat down and laughed. and had a beer :D

at least they’re hilarious to look at! mine looked they were edible. but no, oh no, they were not.

-Court

Anna July 2, 2009

I once burned a pot of quinoa on the stove, then set it down on the floor of my dorm to cool (which is what I always did, the fake rug worked well as a built-in hotpad). Well, the pot was a little toooo hot and melted the carpet, fusing the two together. I couldn’t make it budge and had to cut it off with a Swiss Army knife, thus ruining the pot as well as the rug.

Winner.

Elisabeth July 2, 2009

Pfffttt! I’ve had more kitchen disasters that I care to remember! I nearly burned my house down once with toast that didn’t pop out of the toaster.

Nicole July 2, 2009

The last kitchen disaster that I had was with blondies..they looked kind of like that, but they still tasted really great!! I think it was that I opened the oven while they were rising, because I made the recipe again and they were fine.

One time I made a cake for my boyfriend and it just FELL APART! It split down the middle. My frosting was too heavy and I didn’t let the cake cool. Still tasty, though!

Shelby July 2, 2009

Eek! Sorry about the disaster…I’m sure they tasted good! haha

Are the loves just like muffin-sized? I’ve only seen mini-loaf pans that are still too big to eat in one sitting. I would love to find the ones you use!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) July 2, 2009

HAHAHA oh man, I totally feel your pain. Last week I tried to modify a blog recipe for PB bars, and it tasted alright, but not worth sharing. I thought I knew what I did wrong, so I tried again this past weekend, and they looked great, but tasted like a$$! LOL Lesson learned. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. NExt time I’ll follow the recipe.

Jackie July 2, 2009

Heather- my brother and I did that as a kid. We first started out with breakfast items (uncooked oatmeal, maple syrup, cereal, etc). It wasn’t until the ketchup and milk was added that I think I gagged. My brother and I decided that it would be better for us NOT to eat it…

i think my biggest disaster was making pancakes and i couldnt understand why they tasted so bland and disgusting. That was until I realized I omitted the sugar in the recipe. (obv pancakes from scratch). Yeah had to throw them out.

Christina July 2, 2009

Over Christmas break I tried to cook all these cookies for Christmas dinner but used waxed paper instead of parchment and they all stuck. I couldn’t salvage any!

Rebeca July 2, 2009

once I made choco chip cookies using my tried and true secret recipe, and they just didn’t work… they were flat and awful… so what did I do? Froze the rest of the batter, because I decided that would fix it… and a few weeks later had the disaster part 2… Finally, I realized that the baking soda was too old and that’s why they were a mess… It was a sad waste of chocolate chips and very disappointing for my family because they smelled sooo good… twice!

Faith July 2, 2009

I admit, sometimes I’ll try to improve on a perfectly good recipe, and then end up with something that no one should have to suffer through eating.

Your tried and true gluten free brownie bites look amazing!

Katherine July 2, 2009

Hm, I made BBQ Tempeh once and it was so bad I had to leave the apartment while my husband cleaned everything up and got rid of the evidence. I couldn’t stand the smell and I can’t even imagine how bad the taste was! Poor husband was such a trouper – he ate it for dinner!

MarathonVal July 2, 2009

Could be worse. I’ll never forget one of the first times I cooked choc. chip cookies by myself – I switched the amounts for sugar and salt – needless to say they were pretty inedible and tasted like a salt lick!

Susan July 2, 2009

The first time I ever tried to make muffins, the pages in the cookbook stuck together. I read the wrong recipe and added THREE eggs to the batter. They tasted like little flour omelettes.

Lynn (The Actors Diet) July 2, 2009

What’d you do with the “Disasters?”

Kris July 2, 2009

Thanks for the laugh :) Don’t make me any brownies when I visit ;) lol

Jocelyn July 2, 2009

are those the brownies you are sending me!? bahahahahaha :P

I think my worst experience might have been with cookies…they were eggless or something..and just turned out all flat and burnt to the pan..and just really bad lol

Renee July 3, 2009

my worst “kitchen” diaster happened a few weeks ago. I had invited friends over for a BBQ and the chicken on the grill caught fire, not a flare up…the chicken was actually on FIRE! I thought the gas from the grill was going to explode…ya we ended up ordering pizza. LOL