Working Out: In A Dress?!

Happy Monday everyone!

Thanks for all of your comments on North America’s Healthiest Cities post this morning! I must say I have a huge desire to visit Victoria and Ann Arbor now! :D

My gosh I have been so busy the past while! Not that I am complaining, but I can hardly keep up!!! Yesterday I put in a 15 hour day on Glo Bakery and OSG- baking orders, paperwork, and preparing Summer Glow Boot Camp for its’ launch on Wednesday!! Exciting stuff :D Today I have another busy day. I have already done 2 orders and I have a bunch more on the docket for the next few days!

fitness

Yesterday’s workout was AWESOME!!!!

I turned on the TV and Perfect Stranger with Halle Berry was on, so I decided to watch that. Here I was thinking that I was going to watch a ‘light romance’ movie- boy was I wrong!!! lol. That movie was messed up! I guess it didn’t help that I started watching it half way through. :) The good news is that it was so suspenseful that it made my workout FLY by. I had only planned on doing 30 mins or so but it quickly turned into 1 hour so I could finish the movie!

The workout:

• Duration: 60 mins
  • Treadmill hill walking: First 15 mins at 4.1 mph, incline 15%, 40 mins at 4.2 mph, incline 15%, and the last 5 mins was at speed 3.5 mph incline 15%
  • Max heart rate: 166 bpm
  • Avg heart rate: 151 bpm
  • Distance: 4.11 miles

After every 10 minutes I did CORE work!!

Here I am doing my favourite waist whittler!!! Twisting Advanced side planks!!! I can actually feel my ab muscles ‘crunching’ as I do this workout. It sorta feels like someone if wringing your waist like a wash cloth…LOL…but that is the beauty of it- it is SO effective. I have noticed a huge improvement in my middle since doing this move! My middle has toned up even more since the end of the BBBC!

I did about 3 sets of 1 min each per side. I also did some scissor ab moves (1 set).

Here I am just covered in sweat!

IMG_8362

The whittler…

IMG_8363My arms are really sore today from these side planks!

Not sure what is on the workout agenda for today. It might be an off day since I am so busy and we are having a BBQ party with about 6 other friends tonight!

I am still considering running in a 5k race on Wednesday morning! :)

food

Last night Eric and I tried out the new SOL veggie burgers!!!

IMG_8224

I don’t know why, but I thought that these were going to taste horrible!!

IMG_8388

Each burger has about 15 grams of protein in it and just over 100 calories! Not too shabby!

I added some healthy fats to my meal by adding 1/2 avocado and 1 huge scoop of my favourite hummus:

IMG_8399IMG_8396

My dinner:

IMG_8408

Along with some frozen veggies that I steamed. I included some PC frozen Edamame beans! This was the first time I have ever tried these beans before! They were yummy!

1 cup has 17 grams of protein and 8 grams of fibre!

IMG_8409

My burger was nothing short of mind-blowing delicious!!!

IMG_8416

I was very impressed with these SOL burgers! They had a nice texture too! And guess what? Eric DEVOURED his! He liked them better than the Money’s Veggie Burgers (although he loves those too!).

My new Twenty Valley Wine Glass from the 10k race!

IMG_8402

IMG_8411

Dessert was a cup full of delicious blueberries!

IMG_8376

Here are some pictures of some of the delicious baking I did yesterday!

I was successful in making gluten-free brownies!!! It was my first attempt ever at making something gluten-free and I was so scared. It wasn’t so bad though! Nothing a little gluten-free flour and xanthum gum couldn’t fix! ;) I was impressed with the flour I bought…it didn’t have an overly ‘beany’ taste like some of the bean flours do.

‘One Glo-ing Bite’ Walnut and Chocolate Chip Gluten-free brownies:

IMG_8305

And Glo Ginger cookies:

IMG_8329 IMG_8333

Today was all about my On The Glo II bars!!! I have a ton of orders for these this week. Don’t forget they are 25% today!!

freeforall

1. I still can’t sleep longer than 7 hours! What the heck!

2. Check out the renos Eric did on the house this weekend over at Soup Up My House

3. Summer Glow Boot Camp is COMING!!! Wednesday July 1, 2009!! You won’t believe the awesome prizes we have up for grabs!!! Over $1000 worth of prizes to be won!

3asdsd copy

Today’s Clue:

Do you like to plan in advance? Well, this challenge is for you- mark your ‘calendars’!

4. You can follow me all day on Twitter to see what I am up to!! Expect lots of Twit-pics! ;)

5. I was scoping out the Lululemon website this morning trying to find the name of my shorts for a reader. I came across their newRunning Dress’:

Untitleddddddddddddddd

This is what they say about it:

“Sassy and sporty…the perfect technical combo!

Run, play tennis, hit the gym — there’s nothing you can’t do in this dress”

Now I am sure we have all seen how crazy popular running skirts are nowadays! But I have never heard of a running dress before! What do you think of this? Do you think it will catch on?

Personally I can’t see myself wearing one!! But I guess I shouldn’t knock it til I try it! ;)

What do you think? Would you wear it?? Would you wear it to a gym??

Angela_Signature

1 Katherine June 29, 2009

I probably wouldn’t wear a dress, but I really like the support of a good sports bra and I doubt the support in the dress would be enough. I do enjoy running in my skirt though – I save it for long runs and race days! :) I ran the Nike Women’s Marathon in it, and even sported some lipstick at the start line in honor of all the women we were running for.

Congrats on the gluten-free brownies and on the influx of Glo Bakery orders. You’re “making it” right before our eyes!!

I am definitely a planner so I can’t wait to read all about the summer challenge!

Have a great day :)

2 Monica June 29, 2009

I tried on an athletic dress recently…
… and really liked it! I would definitely wear it for my long distance walks (I’m not a runner!)

3 Jennifer @ His N' Her Health June 29, 2009

I don’t think I would wear that dress. It looks really short and I would be worried about my booty hanging out :)

4 Low June 29, 2009

I think the dress is really cute, but probably wouldn’t wear it for serious exercising. Maybe on a walk with friends or something or to play tennis!

5 Tanya June 29, 2009

Was gonna say the same things as Jennifer about my bootay. Still I would probably do tennis or hiking if it’s super comfortable.

6 Lizzie June 29, 2009

I love, love, love my running skirts from http://www.runningskirts.com. I have two pairs of shorts and I haven’t worn them in months. I am convinced they help me get my fastest 5K ever over the weekend. OK, well not entirely, but they did help!
Not sure about the dress, but there is a Lulemon shop near me, so might have to go check it out.

7 Katy June 29, 2009

Good morning!
I just caught up on this weekend’s posts and I feel as though I must put my two cents in since I seem to be the only Vancouverite who comments :)
I grew up in Toronto, so I can definitly notice the difference living in a healthy city makes. To be fair, I think the main difference between Vancouver and Toronto is obviously the weather! You can excersize outside in Vancouver year-round since it rarely dips below 0 degrees C.
I have only visited Victoria a few times, and I think both cities are beautiful and healthy. Victoria is more walkable, but that’s just because its smaller.
I think I’m in a particularly pro-Vancouver mood right now because I did the Grouse Grind yesterday which is like the hardest hike ever! :)
Finally, I don’t think I would wear a dress while running. But I also never thought I would wear skinny jeans and I do! Never say never I suppose.
Happy Monday Y’all.

8 Bree June 29, 2009

i’d wear it, but only because with tennis i wore skirts a lot so i guess i’m more used to it than most people

9 elliebelle June 29, 2009

It’s definitely a cute dress, but I would hate having my thighs rubbing together while running or working out. I much prefer having shorts, capris or pants. Plus then you can easily stretch afterwards without flashing somebody. But of course, it would be a cute golf or tennis dress.
Can’t wait to hear more about Summer Glow Boot Camp!

10 Gillian June 29, 2009

I am not a running skirt fan so running dress is a no go for me. I actually despise running skirts for some reason – I think they look weird and are impractical (for me anyhoo). I would be wearing a pair of tight shorts under them anyways to prevent butt exposure so why not just wear shorts and forget the fashion accessory I say!

11 Danielle C. June 29, 2009

I don’t think I’d wear it, just mentally I feel more comfy in shorts than I think I would in a skirt or a dress. Maybe I have a mental block that says skirts/dresses are for when I want to dress up and look nice but when I workout I am down to business.

Congrats on all of the Glo Bakery work, I really hope you ship to the US soon!

12 Whitney June 29, 2009

I probably wouldn’t wear the dress, but I am super excited for Summer Glow Boot Camp! I need a new challenge!

13 Anna June 29, 2009

HAH! I actually own that dress! Well, last summer’s version- I bought it when I worked at lululemon last year. I definitely don’t wear it for running very often because it DOES feel odd running in public in a dress, but when I do it is the MOST comfortable thing in the world. Seriously, no tugging, adjusting, or riding up. Just throw on some spandex underneath and you’re golden.

I guess the primary reason I bought it was to wear it when I worked (all lulu employees have to be wearing at least one visible lulu item at all times on the store floor) because it’s SO cute! And it was my favorite color (sky blue).

I say, don’t knock it till you try it because it’s SO COMFY.

14 Jessica June 29, 2009

That dress looks awfully short! Does it have shorts underneath or is it just the dress? With shorts underneath I’d definitely wear it, but without I’d wear it to workout in the home haha.
-Muffy

15 Megan June 29, 2009

I don’t think i would wear a running dress :-\ Honestly, i think its pushing it a little over the top as far as athleticism and femininity go. There’s just certain things you wear for certain occasions.

The photography is lookin’ good by the way! :-)

16 Lauren June 29, 2009

Those gluten-free brownies look amazing!

And I love running skirts, so I would definitely give that dress a try! I love comfy dresses like that! :)

17 leslie June 29, 2009

i love side planks. they’re so hard, but i love how you can literally feel the muscles tightening!

i don’t know about that dress – i don’t think anyone would take me seriously in it!

18 LilyBeans June 29, 2009

I was just finally getting used to seeing everyone is black spandex at the gym and now a dress?? I love a good light summer dress, don’t get me wrong, but I am pretty sure you would have to wear bike short under it. Where is the fun in that?

19 Amy June 29, 2009

Oh my gosh- a running dress??! Lol, that is too funny! No, I could definitely NOT wear one of those, no matter how comfy it is (it does look comfy) I’m still not sold on the running skirts, although they do look cute. One of my friends wears them and loves them. I’m sure there are plenty of runners who take running seriously while wearing a skirt…but I haven’t seen any professionals or elite runners wear them yet.

20 Jenn June 29, 2009

Nope. I love Lulu, but “dresses + running = no go” in my books.

21 brandi June 29, 2009

those twisting side planks are a killer! I can’t WAIT for the summer glow camp :)

I don’t know about the dress – I wonder how comfortable it would be since it’s 1 piece.

22 kayla June 29, 2009

I have two tennis dresses that look like that.. you wear spandex under them so you don’t have to worry about your booty hanging out.. I wouldn’t wear it for running though, just bc id feel wierd I spose

23 Kelsey June 29, 2009

i would wear that, for sure! i think it is definitely better for tennis, running….i’m not sure about yoga? i’m def more apt to wear leggings while yoga-ing it out. :] either way, lululemon has bamf things and i would wear everything they sell!

24 Krista June 29, 2009

I can’t see myself in a dress (or skirt) while working out!

SOL burgers are my favourite ever! And the edamame rock, too.

25 Pam Striker June 29, 2009

Congratulations Angie on the GF brownies. They look wonderful and delicious!

Happy running,

Pam
(a gluten free blog)

26 Rachel June 29, 2009

I would definitely wear it playing tennis. As for the gym, I don’t think I would be comfortable wearing it. That goes for running too. I do, however, love running skirts!

27 Jenn June 29, 2009

I don’t think I would wear it, just because I am super disproportionate, so it would like absurd on me. I have tons of running skirts though, and love them. I was actually planning on shopping for more while my kiddo is napping today. Thanks for the reminder!

Oh, and to the Amy, who said she doesn’t know of any professional or elite runners who run in skirts, in 2004 Nicole DeBoom won Ironman Wisconsin in a skirt. It doesn’t get much more elite than that!

A great article called The Rise of Skirt Culture:

Can’t wait for boot camp!

28 Susan June 29, 2009

Yay, I’m glad you like the Sol burgers! They have a permanent spot in my freezer now :)

Umm…I’m divided on the dress. I think it would be awesome for outdoor sports (tennis, soccer, etc) but I wouldn’t be caught dead in one of those things at the gym :P I’ve been debating a running skirt for a while though. From what I’ve heard, they don’t hike up like some shorts do.

29 Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) June 29, 2009

I would probably try the dress for running – not sure about the gym though! I’ve never even worn a running skirt though, so what do I know? ;)

30 Devan June 29, 2009

your burger looks mind blowing.
YUMMM!

31 Lynn June 29, 2009

OH I need to find those burgers!!! My hubby would love (the gluten free part)!

Way to go on the GF brownies too!

As for the dress… hmmm I’m not sure! I’d try it once I guess ;)

32 AGS June 29, 2009

A running dress. Sounds weird to me. . . but I am a firm believer in whatever works. If some woman puts that on and feels like a million bucks, then that’s the way to go. Whatever helps you on your run. ;)

By the way, I didn’t participate in the last challenge, but I am *very* excited about this one coming up. Thank you for putting another one together. I’m particularly interested to see what other readers contribute (I hope you got some interesting moves from other OSG readers!).

33 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now June 29, 2009

Maybe it’s just that print, but that running dress just looks sort of “old folk-y.”

34 Kayzilla June 29, 2009

I love me some running skirts, but I think the dress looks pretty tacky, so I wouldn’t wear it to the gym. However, if they’re just as comfy as running skirts, I’d probably end up wearing it around the house, haha.

35 elizabeth June 29, 2009

I hope you do your 5k! I bet it would be easy breezy for you at this point. There’s a military base around here that does them every wednesday in the summer and I wanna do one in preps for my 10k in October.

OOH! I tell you what… I have a DARE for you. If you run your 5k that’s coming up and you finish in less than 32 minutes (my painfully slow record for a 5k) I will donate $20 US to a charity of your choice. :-D

36 Amy June 29, 2009

Thanks Jenn! I stand corrected. She does look badass in that skirt! :) But I still don’t think I could wear the dress, lol :)

37 april June 29, 2009

Are those burgers available in the US? I’ve never seen them before!

Edamame is soo good and a great protein source! I like the dried version too!

38 Jenn June 29, 2009

Amy, I say whatever you feel badass in, run in that.

39 TINA June 29, 2009

Looking forward to the Summer Glow Bootcamp!!
No,to the running dress…..it looks wrong….

40 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope June 29, 2009

I’m loving hearing about all your cooking adventures! Congrats on the successful brownies and those cookies look SOOOO good! :)

Wow, I have to say that I would never wear a dress working out. I’m not much of a dress/skirt girl to begin with, and I think that would seem pretty awkward to wear one working out.

xxoo
Heather

41 nicole- chasing blue June 29, 2009

I have a Skirt Sports running dress! Plus like 8 running skirts.

I love the coverage you get in a skirt plus you don’t have the short wedge to deal with!

I can’t wait for summer glow bootcamp!

42 jen June 29, 2009

i have that exact dress i black and its great, its so easy to move in and made of a great breathable fabric! and its a slim enough fit that it won’t flip up in the wind, but still moveable. the only downside is that its only good for activities that require you to be in a standing position, unless you wear some shorts underneath

43 MarathonVal June 29, 2009

Are you going to post any of the recipes for the taste treats? I just dont think it’s fair to show us the mouthwatering pix but not to tell us how to make them! :) Especially since I’m in the US and cant buy yours yet!!

44 amy (veganissexy) June 29, 2009

Girl! You have to check out my post today on Victoria! Crazy…we just got back from our anniversary weekend there and I can tell you it was so super amazing. Hotels are cheap…food is freakin amazing….so so so many good veg options! You should definitely go. It is so beautiful…and there are really good running trails all along the waterfront. Gorgeous :)

45 Jocelyn June 29, 2009

HI Angela…I am so excited about these baked goodies lol It will be nice to know i will be eating something healthy but *treatish*..being at a camp all day..i feel like a treat..but it has to be healthy! :) I’m already doing amy’s 15 week challenge..but maybe I can do yours too!

46 Randi June 29, 2009

I probably would not wear a workout dress unless I was playing tennis. I do have several running skirts that I have worn at my marathons. Love those!

Question, have you posted the recipe for your ginger cookies? They look SO good!

47 Beth @ CrossBorderCravings June 29, 2009

Hi Angela! I was so excited when Aaron told me you had stopped by to check out our blog! We are HUGE OhSheGlows fans! You are such an inspiration to us – keep up the good work!!

– Beth

48 Barbara June 29, 2009

Hi Angela:)

I have about 4 running skirts that I wear all the time for outdoor sports and gymtime. They have shorts underneath so I’m never overly exposed although I DO get some interesting looks. They make me feel a little sexier when I work out and well….ever little bit of self confidence helps…right?

So…YES, I’d wear the running dress. Why not!

B

49 Faith June 29, 2009

That looks like an excellent workout! I love it when the workout flies by!

Thanks for the veggie burger review, I’m going to look for that brand at the store. (The last Gardenburger I had tasted a little off, so I’ve been looking for a good brand!)

50 Kristen June 29, 2009

Canada day races are a lot of fun- I say go for it!

51 N.D. June 29, 2009

Can you remember wearing a dress running, no way!! that is so exciting you are getting so many orders! so happy for you.

52 Meredith (Pursuing Balance) June 29, 2009

Those burgers are such a cute shape! Like flowers, or maybe clouds :)

53 The Running Yogini June 29, 2009

I’m not a big fan of skirts in general, but when I tried out my first running skirt I loved it and became a total addict. The skirts I wear have compression shorts underneath so for me its like getting to wear tight short, but have an extra layer covering my front and back. Bonus! I’m sure I’d love a running dress too, but they’re more expensive than the skirts…

54 Christina June 29, 2009

I think the dress is cute! I probably wouldn’t wear it to the gym but I could definitely see myself playing tennis in it or speed walking outside.

55 Katrina (gluten free gidget) June 29, 2009

Awesome looking brownies! What is the flour blend made of? You rock my socks with your gluten free goodness!

56 Samantha June 29, 2009

This is probably a stupid question but when you do your incline walks on the treadmill, do you hold on at all? I’ve the 15% incline at 4.0mph several times and like it, but I’m only 4’11” and just can’t walk that fast without holding a little. Would I be better served to slow the pace down a little and not hold?

57 Leah @ Simply Fabulous June 30, 2009

I’m such a huge fan of that ab workout. I think it works SO much. Great pics!

58 MizFit June 30, 2009

LOVE the pictures!!!

I did a review of a running dress once…a video.
My conclusion? notsomuch for me. for running anyway :)
for lolling about? hell yes!

59 Alex June 30, 2009

l.o.v.e running in skirts with built in shorts, but meethinks that the dress would be more like a long shirt- I’d still slip shorts on underneath! Can’t be showing off all that my momma gave me!

60 charlene June 30, 2009

I couldn’t wear a dress working out..LOL. I would feel ridiculous. maybe if I played tennis!

I love planks, they are very effective. Great posts! I will be adding you to my list..I love your blog!

Char

61 carolinebee June 30, 2009

those burgers are such a funny shape lol! I think grilling them + avocado + hummus + fluffy bun = added deliciousness :D I don’t think I could wear a dress to the gym, but it’s cuuute! I feel like it would attract unwelcome attention on a walk or something.

62 Madelin @ What is for breakfast? June 30, 2009

I definately wouldn’t wear the dress! Although it does look cute, I just can’t see how it would be comfy? Your burger looks yum, especially the avocado!

63 Fitzalan June 30, 2009

I really don’t think I would wear it. Mainly because I just don’t think it is me. Wearing a dress while going for a run just isn’t my personality. I don’t really care to look that cute when I workout. I want to look good, yes, but my main focus is on the workout, not on how I look. And I wouldn’t want other people to think that cared what I was looking like.

Did that make any sense? :)

Happiness Awaits

64 EL June 30, 2009

I love my running skirts, but I do not see me running in a dress. I would though wear the dress to lounge in or run errnds.

65 Shan June 30, 2009

Hi Angela,

Question!!!

When I do the side planks I find my elbow (of the supporting arm) gets REALLY sore after about 30sec!

Am I not positioned properly? Does this ever happen to you? Any suggestions for combating the problem?

Thanks, Shan

66 Ashley July 4, 2009

I just discovered the SOL veggie burgers too and quite like them! I really don’t like most commercial veggie burgers. There’s one out there that’s sun dried tomato and something that’s good though. I can’t remember who makes it – maybe Garden Burger? It has brown rice in it too.