What I have Learned From Food Blogs: Part 1

Good afternoon!

Order #2 done and done for the week!

I have to get this off my chest!

I have been smiling ALL morning after coming across this picture on Eric’s camera:

IMG_7435

He made this HEART SHAPED cookie for his guest post and he never told me about it!!!!! It never made the cut on his post either!

How cute is that??? lol. I’m sure he is going to kill me for posting this, but that’s ok. ;) Life is too short to keep these things to myself!!!!

I wonder who ate the heart though? Did he eat his own heart out? lol. The cookie he brought me to the airport wasn’t this heart shaped one. Or perhaps, he has another admirer and she got the heart shaped cookie? Either way, I will just assume it was for me! haha.

What I Have Learned From Food Blogs: Part 1

After reading Sam’s awesome post on what she has learned from food blogs, I knew I had to reflect on it myself! There is so much positivity with food blogs I thought it was such a good idea to point out how beneficial they can be for others!

Now of course, I can’t fit everything into one post, so I decided to do a series of posts where I will talk about the things I have learned!

Today, I am highlighting some of the new foods I have tried since reading food blogs:

1) Coconut Oil

I use one for my body as a moisturizer and another for healthy baking!

The picture below was taken with Eric’s Canon SLR on manual setting (with flash):

IMG_7710

The picture below was taken by my Canon SD800 Point and shoot in Macro setting, no flash:

IMG_4075

And now with flash:

IMG_4074

Notice the difference? I sure do!

2) Raw Almonds (and other raw nuts/seeds. Hemp seeds are a new fav!!)

I used to be SCARED of eating nuts and seeds. So much so, that I wouldn’t eat them because they are high in fat! Food blogs taught me that it is OK to eat healthy fats. Your skin and hair will glow as well as your insides!

With Eric’s Canon SLR:

IMG_7700

With my Point and Shoot:

IMG_4073

The SLR gives such a more crisp look I find.

3) Egg Replacer (Thank you Susan!)

IMG_7702

4) Organic Sucanat Sugar (Thank you Ashley!)

IMG_7704

5) Spinach/Kale/etc

Did you know that I NEVER ate spinach until this past winter??? I thought I hated it!!!! Oh how far I have come with greens!

IMG_7694

6) TOFU

I thought I hated tofu until I gave it another shot in my green monsters and baked it in the oven with a delicious sauce.

IMG_7687

7) Avocados

Again, thought I hated them and my mom was gross for putting them in her salads! haha. Now I eat avocado EVERY DAY. Did you know they are supposed to help reduce cravings??

IMG_7692

8) Herbal Teas are FUN (Thanks to Kath!)

I used to only drink green tea and thought I didn’t like herbal teas! Boy was I wrong!

IMG_7675

9) Quinoa

I had never heard of this stuff until I read Jenna’s blog! It is super nutritional and a great food for vegetarians (or non-veggies too!).

IMG_7664

10) Organic Agave Nectar

This stuff is amazing to bake with! Expensive, but worth every penny.

IMG_7665

Even when it leaks…

IMG_7666

11) All natural peanut butter or raw Almond butter

Again, I used to be scared of eating these things because of the fat/calories in them. Not anymore!

IMG_7668

12) Lentils!

A great protein source and soooo delicious and versatile!

IMG_7672

Now for some more fun photography of Sketchie!!

IMG_7642  IMG_7651

Oh I love this one below.

He is the cleanest cat I have ever seen. We touch his fur and he gets mad and cleans the spot again. LOL!

IMG_7631 IMG_7639 IMG_7607

Eric’s camera is so much FUN! I love my lil Sketchie. Such a great subject isn’t he?? :)

freeforall

1) Jaime made my On The Glo bars with great success! Check it out here!

2) I have been getting flooded with emails about shipping my Glo Bakery products to the US! I just wanted to let everyone know that I am currently looking into regulations for exporting food to the US. I might have to get a special permit approved by my local food inspection agency. Please stay tuned for updates!!! I would LOVE to fill all of your requests!!! :)

3) Regarding PICTURE WARS that Eric and I are going to do: This is how it will work: Eric and I will pick 3-5 of our favourite pictures from the week. We will pair up the pictures and you will vote on your favs. We will not post our names by each picture so you may not know who took the picture to keep it fair. We might even throw in pictures to trick you (e.g., I take pictures of renos while Eric takes pictures of food). It will be FUN and inspire the photographer in all of us! :)

4) The winning name for the next boot camp challenge is SUMMER GLOW BOOT CAMP with 57% of the votes! Thank you for voting and stay tuned all week for clues about the SGBC!

5) Don’t forget to check out Eric’s new blog: Soup Up My House!!! Give him some bloggie love and add him to your blogroll! :)

Today’s question: What foods have you tried since reading food blogs?

Angela_Signature

I’m off to bake order #3!

1 Aaron June 23, 2009

I HAVE to ask where you were able to find egg replacer and agave nectar!! I live in Ontario as well and I always seem to get frustrated with the lack of availability of certain products in Canada (that is without ordering them online). I am excited to see that you have found a couple that I haven’t been able to get my hands on! Please share your secret! :D

Oh man can I relate to your frustration! It is NOT easy to find these products, is it!?
I got the egg replacer and Agave at Loblaws Grocery store in the organic section. Also check Fortinos for agave and likely egg replacer too! Whole Foods in Toronto and Oakville also has them iif you are nearby.

2 Nicole June 23, 2009

Love the Sketchie photos!! I love taking pics of my cat Lilly.
Foods I have tried since reading your blog (it’s the first food blog I’ve read) are quinoa, kale, almond butter, and larabars. I plan to try natural sweeteners as we can afford them.

3 Kate B June 23, 2009

hey Angela!
Since reading food blogs I have started drinking Green Monsters and find that I cannot go a day without one. If for some reason I cannot have one for breakfast I have one asap! Thank you for introducing me to these!! That has to be the bigget change I have made from food blogs!

There are SO many foods that I see on the food blogs of Americans and I would love to have those foods here.

-Kate

4 Jenn June 23, 2009

Thanks to your blog I have discovered the wonderful world of Larabars and Almond Breeze (no way, no how would I have ever tried either on my own – now I’m addicted!!)

Don’t you just love prickly kitty tongues?! Makes me miss my cat and her cleaning/kisses so much.

5 Eri June 23, 2009

Must say I love the numerous appearances of sketchie the past few days. He is sooooooo cute. And unique- I have definately never see another cat with markings like his.
&& I wish I could afford a really good camera, but hey, Im off to college. Hello penny pinching!
& I’m glad you are doing the SGBC. I was too umm… lazy to participate last time.lol but i realized it really didnt seem to take up too much out of the day, and since its summer… what else do i have to do?(alot actually,but oh well)

6 brandi June 23, 2009

i love those pictures of sketchie!

7 Danielle C. June 23, 2009

OMG my boy cat is the same way, as soon as we touch him he starts cleaning himself (we always pretend to be offended that he thinks we are dirty). Love the new Sketchie pix!

I would LOVE It if you could ship to the U.S.

I’ve tried a lot of new foods since I started reading food blogs, the Green Monster being the best of them all. I have one every morning now. Quinoa being another that comes to mind off the top of my head. I also started using almond butter (I was an avid Adam’s Crunchy PB girl before), I love some on a slice of Ezekial cinnamon raisin bread, I have myself convinced it tastes like a cinnamon roll.

8 Kailey June 23, 2009

woah I can’t believe you just started eating spinach/kale recenetly!! I thought you’ve been consuming those delicious green monsters for…well forever. haha
blogging introduced me to lentils too and now I love them :D

9 Shelly June 23, 2009

Almond Butter
Green Monsters!!
Humbeque (From http://eatingbender.wordpress.com/2008/10/01/the-lazy-chef-humbecue-tortilla-pizza/)
Frozen Veggie Burgers
Kombucha
Pure Bars
Peanut Butter and Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams Peanut Butter (So addictive!)
Almond Breeze
Amazing Grass (but only once, I’m not a fan of the original grass flavor, haha!)
Agave Nectar
Cocoa Nibs

10 shannon June 23, 2009

Between your blog and Jenna’s blog I have been opened to a whole new food world. I would have never tried Almond Breeze, Larabars, and I would have looked cross-eyed at someone if they told me about green monsters! Now I am really open to anything and will try it at least once! I am finding so many things and it’s really fun! Thanks!

11 Low June 23, 2009

Sketchie makes me miss my cats so much! They live with my mom now because I work an 8-5 and they would get lonely. Plus none of my friends can stand cats – what’s that all about?

Since reading food blogs I have discovered:
Green Monsters
Stove Top Oats
Larabars
Quinoa
Almond Butter
Dates (jury’s still out on whether or not I like them)
Butternut squash
Veggie burgers
Sprouted Grains
more I can’t remember I’m sure!

I really love food blogs. People who don’t get it are really missing out!

12 Run Sarah June 23, 2009

I have learned about so many awesome foods/products since food blogging..I love it! Great photos of Sketchie. I have the same camera and 2 years later, I am still getting the hang of it.

13 Jocelyn June 23, 2009

– agave nectar (The same kind you have :) )
– spinach!!!
– coconut oil
– avocados
– morning oats

ahh so many..can you believe i was ignoring all of these fine foods?

Sooo are you now shipping in ontario..any of your wonderful glow goodies!?!?! :D

14 Leah @ Simply Fabulous June 23, 2009

I cannot wait for SGBC! I NEED THIS! :)

I’m so in it to win this time.
muhaha.

15 elliebelle June 23, 2009

Your photos of Sketchie are fantastic!!!

Things I’ve learned about through food blogs are:

Green Monsters! :)
Almond Butter
Greek Yogurt
Flax Seed
Oatmeal (actually I ate this before, but didn’t ever really love it, but I do now!)
Amazing Grass Green Superfood

Now I want to try Coconut Oil….

16 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 23, 2009

Oh I forgot Larabars and almond breeze!

17 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) June 23, 2009

This is random, but I keep seeing bags of avocados on other people’s blogs – how much do you usually pay for a bag/ how many are in it? I can only find avocados individually and while I love them, they’re pretty pricey (I think I recently saw them for $1.79 for ONE).

I pay $4.29 CAD for a bag of 6. They are smallish though- the large individual ones are $1.50 I think??

18 leslie June 23, 2009

greek yogurt, kale, almond butter, and the many many possibilities for oatmeal are some of favorite food blog inspired foods.

i couldn’t even list the amounts of products food blogs have introduced me too – it would take pages! there were so many foods that i was afraid of consuming, just like you. food blogs have taught me that i can eat absolutely anything, which is just unbelievably liberating.

i’m excited for the rest of these posts!

19 coco June 23, 2009

Psst…try Organic Food Bar…and coconut oil is great in a fruit smoothie!
Wait, I can’t lie. I actually eat it out of the jar.

20 Jaime (Embracing Balance) June 23, 2009

Thanks for the shout out! :) Sharing the bars with some of the local blogger girls tonight at a group Booty Camp. Check out my blog for details.

psssst….spelling my name… Jaime. :)

My apologies! Fixed :)

21 Anne P June 23, 2009

i heart sketchie. those are awesome pics!!

22 Amanda June 23, 2009

SO cute about the heart cookie! I bet he gobbled it up and was embarassed he ate your cookie so didn’t post it :)

I have discovered so many great foods through food blogs: getting creative with oatmeal, sweet potato fries and butternut squash fries, tofu, tempeh, various bars, almond milk, green monsters!!

23 Lizzie June 23, 2009

Looking into US shipping?? Yay!!!

24 Betsy June 23, 2009

My cats are my FAVORITE subject to photograph. They’re in nearly every post!

25 Krista June 23, 2009

The new foods I have tried are endless. Nut butters, agave, carob chips, halvah, SOL and Garden burgers, chocolate mint,butternut squash, candied ginger, silken tofu,soy milk, Greek yogurt, tempeh….so, so many more!

Sketchie is da bomb!

26 Bree June 23, 2009

What haven’t I tried because of food blogs is the question! Since delving into the world of food blogs I now eat the following:
-Fage Greek yogurt
-Oats with PB or almond butter
-Avocados on everything
-Larabars
-natural sweetners like Stevia
-sweet potatoes and butternut squash in various forms

And I have made many recipes for the first time (risotto, pad thai) in the past few months that are fun and pleasing to my husbands tummy :)

27 Stacy June 23, 2009

I have tried loads of things since I started reading food blogs. Almond Butter, Raw Recipes, started eating vegetarian, sweet potatoes, cane sugar, apple cider vinegar, hemp, brown rice protein. The list goes on and on.

28 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope June 23, 2009

What a fun post Angela! I totally agree that I’ve tried SO many new items that I was either too scared of or never even heard of before blogging.
– Avocado
– Mangos
– Beets
– Kale
– Agave Nectar
– plain yogurt
– hummus
– organic PB and AB
– greem smoothies
– bean burgers
– tofu

I have to say, blogging has totally changed me and benefitted me in countless ways… even more than just trying new foods! :)

xxoo
Heather

29 Lynn (The Actors Diet) June 23, 2009

I never ate nut butters in oatmeal or yogurt before. It’s wonderful to have another way to enjoy them, other than plain old bread!

30 Amanda June 23, 2009

I started eating…
tofu
rice milk
Green Monster (now I can’t go a day without one!)
kale
hemp
and eating nut butters in oats
I love them all!!!!

31 A June 23, 2009

Hooray for food blogs! I love them and have also learned SO MUCH!! I heart the internet!!
-A

32 april June 23, 2009

I have learned to eat all of those products as well! Plus tons more!

33 Marcy June 23, 2009

Angela, check out The Pioneer Woman’s blog at http://www.thepioneerwoman.com for great tips on photography. (She also blogs about food, gardening, schooling her kids & life) Ree Drummond is incredible and her blog is like watching fine art unfold in front of you.

Her website is one of my FAVS!!! Just discovered it a few months ago :) ~A

34 EatingRD June 23, 2009

I loved all your new findings, I love food blogs too! It’s fun to see what’s buzzing in the food world and see what others are eating. I just recently found out what sucanat is too. What kind of canon does Eric have? I just bought a canon rebel xsi, and I swear I am going to have to take a class to learn all the things it can do. I’m a bit overwhelmed, but excited! I just have the kit lens for now, but I can’t figure out how to focus in on say a raspberry with the background more ‘fuzzy’. It keeps focusing on the background, ugh! I LOVE the pictures of sketchie, your kitty is beautiful! I would love to order some of your baked goods too here in the states :)
-kristen

35 EatingRD June 23, 2009

oh and I can’t wait for the picture wars! Let the battle begin!

36 Shelby June 23, 2009

I’ve tried TONS of new things! My new favorites are nuts, nut butters, and avocados. I must have at least one of those each day. Food blogs taught me its good to eat healthy fats and helped me overcome that fear associated with my eating disorder.

37 Nicole June 23, 2009

Nice photos!!! I love my SLR so much!

I have tried so many new things!!! Avocados, quinoa, lentils, VEGETABLES!

38 Sheri June 23, 2009

Foods that I have tried since reading your blog and other food blogs are:

tons of different nut butters
Kale
Tofu
Almond Milk
Agave Nectar
Larabars…YUM!
and of course Green Monsters!

Very nice pics with the SLR! I love my SLR camera takes aweseome pictures!

39 Fitzalan June 23, 2009

I have started eating peanut butter. I can’t remember if I ever ate peanut butter except as a small child. I love all the nut butters and I am so happy I have “allowed” myself to have this again.

-Kale
-Agave
-Ezekiel breads
-Almond Milk
-Flax Seed
-Greek Yogurt

Happiness Awaits

40 OSGMOM June 23, 2009

You have definitely inspired me to try new foods & to go back to the basics of doing my own baking to help cut out eating baked goods that are full of preservatives. I am now much more aware that I can bake with healtier ingredients and still have delicious baking!!

Thanks for being an inspiration not only with my food choices but motivating me to start exercising more and keeping fit!!

New Foods I’ve Tried Since Reading OSG
Green Monsters
Veggie Burgers
Using more flax in recipes
Soya Milk
Natural Cane Sugar
Vegit Vegetable Seasoning
Vegan Cupcakes
Buying only pesticide free tomatoes now
Steaming my spinach for the added calcium benefit
Baking my own rolls, biscuits & bread
Have become a HUGE Glo bar fan

41 Rose June 23, 2009

The list is long but I think the most “out there” for me at the time was tempeh! I love it now.

42 Katharina June 23, 2009

I love coconut oil. I’ve never used it for baking, but I put it on so many things. Here are a few: oatmeal, curried red lentils, as a spread for bread/muffins, stir-fries. Did you know you can also use to remove make-up and of course it works wonders on hair!

TJ’s sells that brand of agave for less than $3! I still have my bottle that I got awhile back for more than twice that amount. You win some you lose some.

I have yet to try quinoa! It’s been on my mind :D

43 Kiersten June 23, 2009

I’ve learned so many things since I started reading food blogs too. The vegan blogs helped make my transition to veganism so much easier. Just think of what we’d all be doing right now if we didn’t have blogging.

44 Maisa June 23, 2009

Hi Angela, love form Finland! I’ve read your blog daily for a while now and I’m totally in love! Too bad I can’t try your recipes (because I’m not familiar with the measures you use but still I’ve got tons of great ideas from you. I’m vegan and I love how you create vegan versions of stuff.
Hope your day has been great!
Love, Maisa

45 Rachel June 23, 2009

Oh I hope you can ship to the US!!!

My food has changed SO much since I started reading food blogs. Brussel Sprouts (!!!), sweet potatoes, greek yogurt, green monsters, almond butter, Almond Breeze, kale, veggie burgers, lara bars (bars in general)…I could go on and on and on. Man, I don’t know what I ate before blogs!! lol

I’m loving the Sketchie pictures!

46 kayla June 23, 2009

Angela, I am curious as to what made u start blogging?? I don’t know if you’ve mentioned this before or not?

great question…read all about it in this post!!

47 N.D. June 23, 2009

great post! smoothies have been what i’ve tried the most! + brown rice syrup and agave. you are loving the camera!

48 Juie June 23, 2009

This isn’t something I learned from a food blog but it’s just a question about these new granola bars that I bought:
HAVE you ever heard of “Mrs.Mary’s Natural Bars”?

And If so, do you approve of the “Trio Bars”?

They are vegan, no trans fat, no addatives, no preservatives, no cholesterol, gluten free, dairy free, wheat free, non-GMO, and kosher

The only ingedients that I’m not sure about are “rice malt” and “cane juice”

Do you approve of those? (rice malt, and cane juice?)

Thanks so much! You inspire me so much and have really affected my life!!

-Julie :]]

49 Susan June 23, 2009

The pictures are stunning! Wow! I’ve been using a crummy Kodak Easy Share, I hate to see what they look like next to the SLR!!

I’ve discovered so many things in the food blog world. Chia seeds, kale, almond milk, etc. Most importantly, I’ve learned just about a million different things to do with nut butter! :P

50 justine June 23, 2009

Great post! New foods since food blogging??? I could go an forever….
Kale
Ugli fruit
Vitatops
Coconut water
Peanut butter
Spelt flour
Soy milk
….Just to name a few. hehehe

~Justine

51 Kath June 23, 2009

Love all the photos!! Glad you like tea more! Think I’ll have a cup tonight too :)

52 Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) June 23, 2009

It’s funny how many awesome ideas you pick up from blogs! Case in point: Green Monsters.

That cookie is adorable :)

53 Lauren (Runandrejoice) June 23, 2009

I eat SO MANY things that I discovered on food blogs! I just did a post today, and almost everything I ate (with the exception of my dinner) was inspired by someones blog. LOVE IT! I’ve never felt better, and never had more fun cooking (and eating!) I just made your granola bars, which I will blog about soon, but am ABSOLUTELY ADDICTED! yummmm!

54 Hilary June 23, 2009

Angela!

You have no idea how much I love your blog.
All of a sudden I cannot access it at work and let me tell you, it makes my day a hell of a lot slower! Haha.

I must ask because I have fallen in love with this stuff and want to clarify that it is healthy/has the same health benefits as Coconut Oil … Coconut Butter. Like Peanut Butter, but Coconut. Found it at my health food store and it is made by a popular company called Artisana (Raw Organic Coconut Butter). Ingredients: 100% raw organic coconut. No-heat process. “Made from whole organic coconut flesh … dehydrated at low temperature, then pureed into a creamy spread.”

Thoughts? I LOVE coconut and have put this on dark chocolate and it is DIVINE.

ALSO, I made your On The Glo Bars (which I insist my family call by that name) with this coconut butter instead of peanut butter and everything else the same and HOLY COW they are unbelievable. Please try it and let me know what you think!

You have really built an amazing blog. Congratulations.

PS If you are ever in Toronto and need a lunch date, let me know!

55 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now June 23, 2009

I love the pictures of Sketchie. I’d love to have that camera!!!

56 nic June 24, 2009

Well there is a LOT I discovered through blogs, especially through YOURS!!
I never tryed
– Almond Butter
– Hummus
before I saw them on your blog! I even MADE both of them within a week after trying them for the first time!!

But there are a LOT of other things I never knew before I began reading all the blogs I do now!!

So thank you ALL for introducing me to all this delicious and good-for-me food!!!

57 Christina June 24, 2009

I just ordered chia seeds and can’t wait to try them!

58 Alisa - Frugal Foodie June 24, 2009

I love the list! Okay, so that brand of Agave always leaks when you turn it upside down! I thought I was just a total dork with my pool of syrup.

59 Jess June 24, 2009

I just tried tempeh for the first time this weekend, after seeing it on several peoples blogs. I’m quite smitten to say the least. Agave nectar is next on my list.