Rouge Restaurant

My sister, BIL, and I had a fabulous time last night!

But first I had to figure out what to wear!

My sister and BIL came over and dropped off the boys (mimi and papa were babysitting, yawhoo!) and then we went back to their place to get ready!

My sister had a perfect dress in mind for me and it fit me like a glove! I really loved it. It is from Le Chateau.

She wore a beautiful dress by Guess- I just loved it on her! What a beautiful birthday girl! :D

IMG_2975

Note: This picture was actually taken at the END of the night when I realized that we never got any ‘outfit’ shots for OSG! lol.

For dinner we went to a French restaurant called Rouge after hearing rave reviews about it. It was a long drive to get there, but oh was it worth it!

It was an old Victorian house turned into a restaurant and it was sooooo lovely inside!

IMG_2948

How cute is that!?

Each room in the house was redone into smaller dining rooms. It was just the perfect and intimate place for dinner. I love when restaurants are quiet and you don’t have to shout to hear each other speak.

I was delighted to find out that the restaurant is VERY Eco-friendly.

They grow all their own vegetables and herbs right on site! They also make everything from scratch and buy only locally. I was VERY impressed with Rouge.

IMG_2953

The menu at Rouge was so awesome:

IMG_2952

I absolutely LOVE French food and the way the French approach eating. Portion sizes are much smaller than normal restaurants, but I leave feeling more satisfied than if I ate at a typical chain. Great care is taken with the preparation of each dish. We felt like kings!!! The food is pricey, but it is such a nice ‘splurge worthy’ restaurant for special occasions.

IMG_2949

They brought an olive based tape to start. I passed on it since I hate olives! My sister and BIL really loved it though.

IMG_2954

I got the organic green salad to start (without bacon) and it was delicious!

I ate all the salad and croutons (amazing!!) but no eggs of course.

IMG_2955

Kristi had the lobster Bisque and loved it:

IMG_2956

Then we were brought mini margaritas (lime + strawberry) that were out of this world delicious! The glass was rimmed in sugar! GAH!

IMG_2957

My sister and I each had 1 glass of Australian Red Wine with dinner.

For my main I got the Halibut as I love, love, love halibut!

Contents: Pan seared Pacific Halibut, Sorrel Pesto, White bean puree (SO GOOD!), and fennel sautee.

IMG_2958

I can’t even begin to describe to you how amazing this tasted. It was the BEST halibut I’ve ever tasted! I cleaned my plate and would have licked it if I could.

My sister and BIL shared a beef for two main, and they both agreed it was the best beef they’ve ever had:

This is one portion:

IMG_2960

Then they brought my sister a birthday dessert! I’m not quite sure what it was but it was like a chocolate creme brulee. Her and my BIL shared it and both enjoyed it a lot!

IMG_2964

We had such a fabulous time!

IMG_2965

I passed on dessert because I didn’t want to get that too full feeling in an already tight dress! :D

At the end of our experience, the chef came to our table and greeted us. He told us about the restaurant and how they grow their own veggies, buy locally etc. He also told me that they don’t have Salmon on the menu because Salmon Fishing contributes greatly to pollution in our waters and that salmon is becoming endangered. I chatted with him about this and I was really quite shocked- I had no idea this was going on. I was just so impressed by the proactive approach this restaurant takes! We felt so good about eating there.

Then to end the meal…

Berries in a yogurt sauce. I had the berry :) It was good. lol.

IMG_2968

Then I snuck off to the ‘bathroom’ and instead paid for the meal. :) I wanted to treat my sis and BIL to dinner but I knew they wouldn’t let me pay so I had to do it without them knowing. Then when BIL asked for the bill, the waitress told him it was already covered. hehe…so sneaky aren’t I? I actually learned that trick from sis and BIL! lol. I had to pay them back! :)

Thank you to everyone at Rouge for such a lovely evening!!!

Well, I am off to workout and then bake for my sister’s birthday dinner tonight!

Stay tuned for Part 2 of our night as well as a birthday dinner recap! I can’t believe I am going home tomorrow…I am going to be SO sad! :( I got to play with my nephews all morning and I am seriously going to cry when I have to leave them.

Have a lovely Sunday afternoon!

Angela_Signature

1 Karina June 7, 2009

I just came across your blog from Debbie’s page. That restaurant looks so cute and peaceful! I would love to eat at a place like that. The presentation of the food looks lovely as well.
You and your sister are very beautiful, btw!
I’ll be coming back to your blog, for sure.
Have a lovely Sunday <3

2 OSGMOM June 7, 2009

I’m so happy that you and your sister had a fun time out last night. I had a lot of fun with the boys!! They give me a good workout and lots of cuddles. I think I will have to make it a point to have dinner at Rouge – the menu looks delicious. I’m looking forward to our family celebration this afternoon.

3 The Novice Berker June 7, 2009

Awww, I love that you wore white and your sis wore black. How cute! Also, that is SO NEAT that the appetizer/dessert was served up on those bent, curled spoons. What gorgeous presentation!

And I TOTALLY do the “sneak away to pay the check” thing too. Hahaha! Can’t wait to hear about how the rest of the night went! ;)

4 april June 7, 2009

I LOVE that dress! The belt on it is adorable! I need to wear dresses more often but its hard for me to find ones I like!

5 Sarah June 7, 2009

Man, I wish I was in your family so I could have CHEEK BONES LIKE YOU AND YOUR SIS! Haha.
I’m glad your having an awesome time. It looks like the snow has melted at least!

6 Allison June 7, 2009

I think you mentioned your mom bought brown rice syrup for your bars the other day… do you know where she found it? Thanks!

7 Leah @ Simply Fabulous June 7, 2009

Love it!! What a great night.
Both of your outfits are lovely!!

8 Katherine June 7, 2009

Each of those dishes looks amazing and you did a great job of making choices so you’d enjoy yourself, but not eat to excess and feel uncomfortable. So smart!!

You look stunning in that dress, as does your sister! :)

9 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope June 7, 2009

What a beautiful evening! The two of you look absolutley GORGEOUS! That restaurant sounds so neat and your dinner looks excellent. Great review! I love how you “went to the bathroom” to pay for the meal… you are too sweet! :)

Enjoy your time left with the family!

10 Nicole June 7, 2009

That was a pretty slick move with the bill. What would you do if your sister decided to come with you to the “bathroom”? lol

11 Angela June 7, 2009

Nicole- haha I don’t know- I was really worried they were going to walk over because the cash was right near our table! lol
Ok back to baking!!!! haha

12 Anne K. June 7, 2009

You two are so beautiful! I love the black and the white outfits :D

The restaurant looks great! And I had no idea about the salmon fishing–so is fish like halibut better to buy? Is the pollution from salmon fishing a problem everywhere? Wow, it’s so good of the restaurant to aim to be eco-friendly.

13 Meghan@traveleatlove June 7, 2009

You both look amazing, and I love sneaking off to pay the bill to surprise people. It is always SO worth it!

14 Brandi C June 7, 2009

Your entire family GLOWS Angie! Can I join?! lol, jk. I’m really happy that you are having such a great time with the people who matter most aka the FAM =]

15 Joy June 7, 2009

Thanks for sharing on Salmon. I just learned a bunch about the yellow tail snapper today also. This much be fish 101 for me today.:)

16 hmc June 7, 2009

I love your blog!! I introduced my whole family OF SEVEN to the Green Monster the other day and now THEY ALL have it. Amazing. Just curious why you do not eat eggs or yogurt?

17 Tammy (Defining Wellness) June 7, 2009

Your dresses are adorable! I didn’t know salmon was endangered! Do you know if that is all salmon, or just certain species?

18 Holly June 8, 2009

you two are adorable!

glad you had such a fabulous time!

19 Natali June 8, 2009

Where are you?! In all your writing you neglected to even mention the town, unless I need to get glasses.

20 jen June 8, 2009

hi angela, LOVE LOVE your blog, i read lots of food blogs myself and i have to say that yours is definately on my list of top favorites! plus i’m super addicted to those pb granola bars you’ve made, i’ve already made 3 batches in the past 2 weeks, me and my boyfriend can’t seem to get enough, we are both avid runner and its a perfect snack for fuel!

i was so excited when i saw you went to rouge! that is one of my favorite restaurants, its especially beautiful to sit out on their lawn in the summer, they grow a lot of their lettuce, veggies and herbs right in their garden in the backyard for their menu!

21 Kori (All Things B.) June 8, 2009

You girls are so gorgeous! Love the belted waist on the dress!

22 Jess June 10, 2009

What a lovely night you had. I’ve been meaning to go to Rouge for awhile now and after seeing this it might just have to be our next fancy dinner destination.

I’ve also been very impressed lately with the upscale restaurants featuring local, organic foods. It’s one of the things that always makes the price seem worthwhile. That and the amazing taste ;)

23 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] January 4, 2010

You look adorable in that white dress. The belt is a perfect touch!