OSGMOM Reveals Her Health Secrets: Part 1

Hi OSG Readers!

I am Angela’s mom, known on the website as OSGMOM. :)

080831_0273

Before Angela reveals where she is, I thought I would fill in for her and do a guest post this morning!

Angela asked me to share my lifestyle and “glow” with you.

Here goes……

Distraction Number 1: I am enjoying a cup of tea this morning while beginning to write and my cat, Rudi, (he is a ragdoll born on Sept. 11, 2001 and named after the Mayor of NYC) is walking back and forth across my desk desperately trying his best to get my attention and distract me from the task at hand. If you have a cat, I’m sure that you know all about this!

DSC02229

So how is it that I maintain my “glow”. First of all, I have to say I am in a very happy place in my life. I have learned to be happy in my own skin and have come to peace with the fact that I am never going to be 5’ 6” with the shape of Halle Berry or be thirty years old again. What has become very important to me is spending more quality time with my family, maintaining my good health, happiness, passion for life and challenging myself to try new things.

Distraction Number 2: My husband just came in the office and reported to me that he couldn’t figure out why the stain remover hasn’t been working on the laundry and discovered that he has been using Carpet cleaner for the past several months. OMG, I burst out laughing. This is what I get for letting hubby do the laundry! I had to share that with you. In our house, I do all the cooking and my husband does the laundry. Just about everything else we share.

Anyhow back to the glow. I have to go back to the basics. I think I have been fortunate in that I have inherited good genetics. Both of my parents (in their seventies) enjoy good health. Both are slim and fit for their age. So I have to say that I have this on my side. However, genetics only get you so far. I have chosen a lifestyle of moderation and balance. What does this mean? I eat a balanced diet and do so in moderation. I eat all food groups and love, love food! If I go out to a restaurant (for example, Red Lobster) and have the Seafood Trio smothered in a garlic butter sauce then I know that for the next few days I am going to eat a diet low in saturated fat. If I indulge in a high calorie desert then I steer away from deserts for a while. I don’t deprive myself of enjoying the foods I like. I have them in moderation and balance with healthier choices. I have never been on a diet even when I have put on extra weight. I don’t believe in dieting and strongly believe it can mess up your metabolism. I rarely get on a scale and only do so if I find my clothes are feeling tight and then I know I need to pay closer attention to what I’m eating.

I buy Prevention magazine and one tip I picked up is to serve your food on a smaller plate. I have been doing this for quite some time now. I am not sure if it has made a difference for me but my husband has lost 14 pounds over the last year.

One year ago I retired so my day-to-day routine has changed dramatically. A typical day for me is getting up around 7 am sometimes as late as 8 am. This is a dramatic change from years of getting up between 5 to 6 am. I know the extra zzzz’s has done wonders for me. Since retiring, I purchased a treadmill so that I would have no more excuses because it is there in my face everyday! I generally do around 35 minutes four to five times a week. I do a 3 minute warm up followed by 25 minutes of varying intensity and end with a 3 minute cool down. I have two terrific grandsons who live close by (3 and 1) and the cardio has helped me tremendously in being able to keep up to them on the days I babysit them.

Breakfast usually follows the treadmill.

What do I eat for Breakfast?

1/3 cup Bran Buds (not for the faint of heart, but this has helped me tremendously with my IBS)

Handful of Berries of some kind (Blackberries, Blueberries, Strawberries or Raspberries)

If I get tired of berries I have a sliced Banana

Slice of Flax Bread with Peanut Butter

Tea or Coffee

Breakfast Out

I always go for Eggs with turkey sausage, Canadian back bacon or Peameal Bacon

After breakfast, I usually check my email and then it is on with whatever tasks need to be done around the house. We live on an acreage in the country so we have a lot of land that needs our attention. This week we have been devoting a good part of our day to gardening. I love gardening and it gives my arms a good workout especially carrying pails of water (we don’t have an inground sprinkler system) to areas of the property where the hose doesn’t reach.

Lunch

This really varies, but I do try to have Wild Sockeye Salmon sandwiches at least once a week . Other options for sandwiches are tomatoes, cheese or eggs but one rule I stick to is not using any kind of processed meat. I steer clear of mayonnaise as much as possible and have discovered using hummus in place of mayo and Becel margarine. I try and have avacados several times a week with lunch. I just slice them up and put them on a sandwich or on a salad. Sometimes I have salad, but I really load it up with tuna, boiled eggs, lots of tomatoes, avocado, sliced almonds. And then there is always leftovers from the night before so we sometimes have that.

Lunch Out

I don’t have lunch out very often since retiring but while I was working I would either go to Subway or have a Japanese stir fry with chicken, veggies and rice

Now when we eat lunch out, we usually steer towards breakfast items.

Dinner

I made a concerted effort several years ago to cut back on my red meat intake so I try very hard to cut back to only twice a week. I love pasta so we usually have some kind of pasta twice a week, and I am now happy to report I have converted to using whole wheat pasta! Fish is on the dinner menu at least twice a week, and I am a huge salmon lover so we have baked salmon every week. I am always trying new recipes and try my best to cut back on the fat content as much as possible with lower saturated fat choices. Veggies are always served on the side. Some of my favs are butternut squash, sweet potatoes, asparagus, green and yellow beans, cauliflower and broccoli. I am using more EVOO in my cooking.

Dinner Out

I usually indulge in what I’m in the mood for but stay clear of fried foods. I LOVE chocolate and sweets so I often have desert but more and more lately, my husband and I will share a desert.

Snacks

I have always been one who enjoys snacking. As I have said, I love sweets so if I am in the mood for something sweet I go for Dark Chocolate at least 60% cocoa. I also enjoy hummus on crackers or Salsa on crackers. I often get an urge for nuts and try my best to eat them from the shell, but I do enjoy cracking open a can of Cashews every once in while. One grocery item I haven’t purchased for myself in years is potato chips – it was a weakness of mine. I don’t go down the snack isle anymore unless it is for Christmas or company is coming. I have been trying to have a GM a couple of times a week as a snack. Some weeks I am better then others. Sorry Ange, you need to keep on me about this one.

Beverages

For years I was a huge Tea drinker, and I wonder where Angela gets that from – ha ha. Since retiring I have developed a liking for coffee, but I am one of the pickiest people when it comes to what I think is a good cup of coffee. I don’t like Starbucks and think SB’s coffee is too bitter and lean more to a smooth blend like Tim Hortons. At home, I use Nabob Summit and can’t seem to get enough of it. I drink water, milk, V8 low sodium juice, have introduced Vanilla Soy Milk into my diet and use it in the GM’s. I enjoy wine with dinner and have been leaning more to reds lately. When I decide to have wine, I usually only have one glass with dinner but on those “wild and crazy” nights when I go out with friends it can be more, however, I know if I go over 3 glasses in an evening, I am going to suffer the consequences! Another good reason for sticking with moderation.

Vitamins

Centrum Multi Vitamins

Emergen C (only take when I feel I’m getting a cold and works wonders)

Vitamin D (I just started taking this daily)

Supplements

Kyolic Garlic for Digestive System and switch it up with Heart Health

Flax – use it in GM’s and sprinkle in my cereal

The phone just rang and it was my daughter, Kristi. She is dropping by shortly to pick up a park pass as she has out of town company visiting, and they are going to see the Mountains. I can’t wait for them to arrive because I will get to see my two grandsons. They light up my day. :)

Well, I better take a break.

See you this weekend for Part II where I will talk about my skin, make-up products/routine, de-stressing, and staying young!

And stay tuned today for a post from Angela- she will be explaining ALL!

I will leave you with these questions today for discussion:

– How do you think you will view your health when you are older compared to now?

– Do you think you will be more comfortable in your skin?

~OSGMOM

1 Yasmin June 5, 2009

You are gorgeous and it’s working for you! I hope I remain as youthful and beautiful as you…

2 Robyn June 5, 2009

I love to learn about the health and beauty habits of ladies with a bit more experience under their belts :) You are a true inspiration and there is no wonder where Angela gets it from <– yes, I am a bit of a butt kisser, what can I say? ;)

3 Katrina (gluten free gidget) June 5, 2009

YAY!!!! Mommy post! I love your attitude and outlook on life. Keep glowing!

4 Kath June 5, 2009

Wonderful post mom!

5 Ashley June 5, 2009

you really are glowing!!! loved this post :) what a fun mother/daughter combo of inspiration!

6 SweetKaroline June 5, 2009

Hi OSGMOM! You are so pretty and you obviously take great care of yourself!

Can’t wait to hear more:)

7 Diane June 5, 2009

I am a new reader of this blog, and it has become my favorite website. I had my very first Green Monster this morning, and I loved it!!! I even made my own almond butter last night! I was very excited to see a post from “Mom” this morning. I look forward to reading many more posts from both of you! Oh, how you glow! Thank you!

8 Alison June 5, 2009

What a fun post! OSGMOM rulz!

Love all the suspense on where in the world Angela is too! hehe can’t wait to find out!

9 Katherine June 5, 2009

Such a great guest post – I can see where Angela gets her great spirit :) Thanks so much for posting about your routine and I look forward to more this weekend!

10 brandi June 5, 2009

What a great post – thanks so much for sharing OSGMOM! I love your attitude and viewpoint on food and life.

11 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope June 5, 2009

Thanks for such an in-depth, fun post! I loved hearing about your lifestyle and how you stay healthy. Thanks for taking the time to do the guest post! :)

btw, hilarious about the carpet cleaner… what a man! ;)

12 Krista June 5, 2009

OSGMOM….I loved this post! I burst out laughing when I read about your husband and the carpet cleaner and I have 3 cats so I know what a pain they can be when they want attention!

I think you have a great attitude towards food and your overall health.

Seeing as I am a bit older, I can say that I certainly do not take my health for granted anymore. I am much more concious of what I put in my mouth and exercise 4-5 days a week. My kids help keep me active, too and I think it’s important to show them that moving in general is a good thing.

I’m not yet 100% comfortable in my skin, but I’m getting there. When I’m feeling down I often remind myself that this body has given me children and that is a major feat in itself. Something to definitely be proud of, stretch marks and all!

Thanks for a wonderful morning read!

13 Yussy June 5, 2009

Hi OSGMOM! You’re hot!! Thank you for sharing your health secrets! This post was awesome!!! Your husband is soooo funny LOL!

14 Christina June 5, 2009

Omg, your cat is adorable!

Your skin looks great, thanks for the tips :)

15 april June 5, 2009

What a great post! I think in the future I will be more satisfied with my body. Right now I’m at the age where society makes it important to look a certain way. I think that in the future when I have children and a family I will be more focused on them and won’t care about appearance as much.

16 Sarah June 5, 2009

OSGMOM rocks! Angela is very lucky to have you as such a healthy influence and inspiration. I very much enjoyed your post. I hope that when I am older, I will be very comfortable in my own skin, I’m getting there slowly but surely :)

17 Hangry Pants June 5, 2009

Hi OSHGMOM! I think it’s clear where Ange gets her glow from! I would like to say that when I am older I will be comfortable in my skin, but I don’t think that magically happens. I think you need to be comfortable with yourself at any age, whether you are 25, 45 or 85!!!! Thank you for sharing what has helped you!

18 Kelsey June 5, 2009

amazing post, I highly enjoyed reading this!!!

19 Ashley June 5, 2009

Great guest post! =)

20 Holly (The Healthy Everythingtarian) June 5, 2009

MOMOSG – you are too cute! Loved your guest post!

21 Lara (Thinspired) June 5, 2009

It’s nice to see where Angela gets her glow! :) Your routine and habits remind me much of my mom’s…like you she is very good at practicing moderation. Clearly it works. Thank you for this guest post!

22 tess June 5, 2009

Thanks so much for writing. GREAT post. I really enjoyed it.

23 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now June 5, 2009

That was very interesting to read. Thanks!

24 JavaChick June 5, 2009

Great post! I hope that I will become more comfortable in my own skin at some point. I do eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly, but I have not been blessed with a good metabolism and it doesn’t seem fair to work so hard at being healthy, yet still be chubby. Not sure how one comes to accept that.

On a side note – I always find it funny when I hear someone say they don’t like such-and-such coffee because it is too bitter and they prefer Tim Horton’s; I’ve never actually had Starbucks coffee, but I find Tim Horton’s coffee to be one of the most bitter ones out there. I’m thinking it has to be a difference in taste buds!

25 Nicole June 5, 2009

Great post OSGMOM!! I loved reading about your healthy outlook! Thanks for sharing.

26 Bec June 5, 2009

wow great post, love your eating tips, salmon sandwiches are my fav!

27 Colleen2 June 5, 2009

It’s obvious where Angela gets her glow from! You are beautiful inside and out!

28 Hayley June 5, 2009

Wow, you not only look amazing but you have a glow radiating from the inside out! Love your tips and meal ideas. Can’t wait for Part II!

29 Marika June 5, 2009

This was a great post! It’s wonderful to read about a healthy living from someone with a more mature perspective, and someone who has obviously made a lifelong commitment to a sustainably healthy lifestyle!

30 Katharina June 5, 2009

Hey OSGMom! You are such a beautiful person :) You seem to glow naturally from inside out. I’m glad you did a guest post. It’s refreshing to see someone who happily lives a healthy lifestyle. It really can seem effortless, can’t it?

I’m looking forward to how I will age. I just look at my grandma and mother and they both look waaaay younger than their ages. Even today, I look younger. I think it’s because I don’t smoke or drink (well I do occasionally but I pretty much abstain), and I eat a balanced diet. Sometimes I fear that no matter how much I take care of my health, there are genetic illnesses that I could be carrying. But I shouldn’t worry about that right now. I’m young and should just enjoy my life!

31 Natalie M. June 5, 2009

OSGMOM, thank you so much for this post! Angela and Kristi are very lucky to have such a healthy role model for a mother… your post reminds me so much of the relationship that I have with my mother and how important it is to maintain a healthy lifestyle as you age. My mom has taught me everything about being the lady that I have become today and she has always been an excellent example of how to be healthy, stay fit and enjoy life until 3 years ago. My mom was in a downward spiral and she began to gain weight. I think she gained about 20lbs… she was extremely irritable and stressed due to work and tension with my dad (LOL after 43 yrs of marriage I guess its still possible to be a pain in the ass!). My mom and I used to be so close and then suddenly our relationship was strained because I couldn’t stand to be around her for long periods of time with such a gloomy attitude… she sank into a depression and things were not well. I kept expressing my concern and told my mother with such horrible eating habits and lack of exercise it was likely that she would develop diabetes (which is quite prevalent in african americans and latinos in the US)… soon after I made that statement my mom developed diabetes and saw it as a wake up call. She completely turned herself around, started taking long walks.. cooking healthier foods and the weight started to shed quickly. My mom is back to being the person I looked up to as a child. I’m sorry if this comes across as a rambling compliment but this post totally made me smile because every gal needs a great lady in her life and your daughters have such a beautiful person inside and out to admire. That glow is totally natural just from being secure with yourself and living life to its fullest.

I can only hope to age as well as my mom has! She’s spectacular and I’m so proud of her and her huge accomplishment.

32 Tanya June 6, 2009

Thank you, thank you so much for guest posting about this.