Down The Drain

I have a confession.

I have slowly gotten back to writing my to-do lists on paper!!!!!

It creeped up on me slowly. First it started with a jotted idea here and there. Then it continued with To-Doist no longer signing me in automatically and forgetting to visit it. And now this.

IMG_1839

GAH!!!

Where did I go wrong? :)

I also have been relying more and more on my paper wall calendar (printablecalendar.ca rocks!)

IMG_1841

Oh boy, I don’t know if there is any going back now!

To-Doist is great, don’t get me wrong. I just think I am more of a tangible person who likes to visually see reminders in front of me. To-doist is great because I can log-in anywhere and have my dates, but I don’t check it like I check my paper to-dos sitting in front of me.

Sketchie say a creepy hello. He has been a bit distant lately, preferring to sleep at the top of the spiral staircase like he is some sort of lion.

IMG_1825

IMG_1848

food Today marked the first day that I have ever poured a Green Monster down the drain!!!!!!!!

I was so sad to do it, but I refused to drink this concoction. And wouldn’t you know it, it was the processed food that ruined the drink!!

IMG_1827

I had high, high hopes for this Vegn Whole Food Health Optimizer powder (in chocolate to boot!).

IMG_1828

It looked pretty decent nutritionally wise! And I was really excited for a chocolate flavour in my GM this morning.

And here it was with the full packet of Vegn powder:

IMG_1834

However, at first sip I was hit with the grossest artificially sweet taste I have ever tasted!!

It was really too gross to even swallow. I thought to myself, “That is strange…I thought the nutritional info said there was 0 grams of sugar in it…” And then it hit me- STEVIA!!!!

I have tried stevia before and I was NOT a fan. It tasted much too artificial for my liking. I know there are many of you out there that enjoy it, but I just can’t stand it. And I know that is what ruined it for me today.

I examined the label a little more closely and sure enough it said Stevia plant extract on it in small print.

I had to pour it down the drain and I hated the waste. :(

I rolled up my sleeves, washed out the blender, and made a new GM:

IMG_1835

This time I used my new purple organic kale from Whole Foods! Fun!!!!

Ingredients:

• 1 cup almond breeze
  • 1 T flax
  • 1/4 cup spelt flakes (something I threw in spur of the moment!)
  • 4 dandelion sprigs
  • 1 frozen ripe banana
  • 1 ice cube
  • 2 organic purple kale leaves
  • 1 tsp nutritional yeast

IMG_1838

This smoothie was much better and a bit darker in colour from the purple kale! :) I did notice a slight difference in taste, but it was neither good nor bad, just different.

freeforall

1. Great discussion again with today’s hot topic! Keep those great thoughts and ideas coming.

2. Caitlin has a series of awesome Fat Talk posts that you might be interested in.

3. Mandy Moore tells People that she is not going to diet and loves her curvy body! Rock on Mandy.

4. You also might have noticed that Shop 4 A Cause has an official date! woot woot! Mark your calendars and spread the word for Cancer research!

shop copy

See you tonight for a fun giveaway contest!

Angela_Signature

“There is always going to be someone smarter, prettier, skinnier, or happier that you.  Get over it because someone else is looking at you thinking you are smarter, prettier, skinnier and happier than them.”

~Amy’s mom ;) Aren’t moms the smartest?

1 Leah @ Simply fabulous now May 21, 2009

As I was reading your to-do list stuff I immediately thought that I am definitely a person who needs to have my list infront of me, at my hands so whenever I need to refer to it it’s RIGHT THERE. I can’t be bothered with logging onto the computer everytime I need to know what my list looks like. I love my planner and use it every single day.

That sucks that you didn’t enjoy the vegan powder! I saw it on sale at Shoppers (on clearance!) when I was at home but didn’t bother with it. Now i’m glad I didn’t!

2 Maggie May 21, 2009

I can’t stand stevia either! It has the worst aftertaste for me. It’s worse than splenda/aspartame for me. I don’t know why.

I’m a paper to-do list person too. I’ve tried keeping them on the computer… but it just doesn’t work for me!

3 Mara @ What's For Dinner? May 21, 2009

LOVE the mom advice!!

4 amy (veganissexy) May 21, 2009

Love it :) Sweet :)

5 Red Head, Yellow Dog May 21, 2009

haha the same thing happened to me with todoist!! I just love my planner and filling it with post its!! plus I carry my planner everywhere (dork alert) and whip it out whenever an idea strikes me, I can cross something off my list or I need to know a date! oh well I gave it a shot..and I still use it to record recipe ideas :)

6 Jocelyn May 21, 2009

Oh No! I’m sorry you had a bad experience and had to pour that down the drain :( however..now you know for next time! That package that you used is in my organic section of my grocery store…I was eyeballing it and now glad I didn’t get it..(I’v never tryed that sweetner thats in it ..so not sure how I would like it)

I…had the best green monster today..and it was the most simple one yet!

– half the blender was stuffed with spinach
-half frozen banana
-dollup of almond butter
-tiny bit of new so good vanilla chai and icecubes

it was literally the best one iv had yet!

:) Thanks for giving us great gm ideas on your blog! :)

7 Elisabeth May 21, 2009

ACK! I can’t stand stevia either! I just bought a whole package of Jay Robb rice protein powder, but failed to read the ingredients first! Last night’s post-run green smoothie with a protein scoop was not very pleasant!

8 Mina May 21, 2009

I recently had the same experience with the chocolate Vega. I’m so thankful I only bought the sample size rather than the large $70+ tub. This flavor of vega (http://store.foodfightgrocery.com/vesmin.html) is much better, however, it doesn’t have the same nutrients as the whole food optimizer.

9 brandi May 21, 2009

I have to have my lists on paper, for some reason. I like the feeling of physically crossing something off my list, I guess.

sorry about the bad monster, but the purple one looks good :)

10 Fitzalan May 21, 2009

Just reading your post make me smile, feel better about myself and enjoy my afternoon with a little extra skip in my step.

You have an amazing ability to make each reader feel involved, understood and empowered.

and I’m happy to see i’m not the only person who finds Stevia offputting!

Happiness Awaits

11 Emily May 21, 2009

i bought a protein powder that i did not realize contained stevia. i found it extremely offputting as well! i’m not really into sweet flavors anyhow, and this was just WAY too much. that was my first and only stevia experience.

12 Melissa (fitnessnyc) May 21, 2009

yeah, i love the feeling of the manual cross off!

13 jennk/cinnamonquill May 21, 2009

Ohhhh, I am completely intolerant of stevia. It tastes exactly like artificial sweetener and tastes about a thousand times sweeter than sugar. I had the exact same experience with some protein powder recently! I would rather have unsweetened cocoa flavor than stevia sweetened.

I think it was Michael Pollan who said that artificial sweeteners try to fool our taste buds, which, despite it being natural, also sums up my stevia experience!

14 Christina May 21, 2009

I’m the same way with to do lists. I have a million pieces of paper all over the house. It’s easier for me to just write it down rather than waiting to go on the computer. I’m too forgetful to wait!

15 Shelby May 21, 2009

I love making To-Do lists (along with to-make lists), they help me make sure I get everything done or else I would totally forget. =P

Sorry about the green monster! I have never tried those packets but I heard they were gross. Stevia doesn’t bother me when it’s in small amounts but in large quantities…bleh!

16 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 21, 2009

I’m glad Im not alone with my to do lists! LOL. I think I will still keep To Doist for my ‘dates/appointments’ in the far future and then use my paper lists for immediate ideas and notes.. :)

And also glad I am not alone with hating stevia!!! I was like What the Heck is in my green monster!!! lol

~Ange

17 Chelsea May 21, 2009

I also made a smoothie with stevia for the first time yesterday, and it was also so gross I had to throw it out. I really hated to do it, too, because I make mine with frozen berries, and we all know those are not cheap! It reminded me Slim Fast. Ugh.

18 Heather May 21, 2009

I am the exact same way with to-do lists. I have to have them written down in front of me! I just love writing them down and being able to check them off when I finish them. And I love writing down my plans… it amps up the excitement! ;) Oh, and the same thing with grocery lists – all handwritten!

Sorry to hear about the green monster. The important thing is that you tried it! Not every attempt is going to be a success, but you just have to deal with what comes at you and get right back up and try again (just like you did :) )! Glad to hear the second one turned out better!

19 Anna May 21, 2009

I’m the same way with the to-do lists… as much as I try to do it on the computer, I need to be able to carry it around with me and make little notes on it about tasks.

I also feel the same way about stevia- GROSS. I just don’t like articial sweeteners at all, even if they’re “natural” like stevia. Oh well, just regular sugar for me (in moderation of course!)

20 Halie May 21, 2009

I’ve gotten one of those same Vega packets, chocolate flavor. Oh m’goodness. So gross. I really had to concentrate to keep myself from gagging. I don’t blame you for pouring it down the drain. At least you didn’t buy a whole tub of Vega. It’s really expensive. I think it’s like over $60 USD!

21 Recipes for Creativity May 21, 2009

Kick ass quote from Amy’s mom! Also, your second GM actually looks sort of chocolaty with the purple kale in it! Have you ever thought about adding raw cocoa or carob powder to a GM? Maybe I’ll try it and let you know!

22 Fred May 21, 2009

The food industry is well aware of the nasty taste of stevia and a few flavor companies are working on stevia-derived sweeteners which will taste better or neutral.
Stevia remains an amazing sugar. It’s calorie-free and sweeter than regular sugar (yet with a low glycemic index).
I actually put a lot of hopes in stevia since I know that 100% of beet sugar is genetically modified in North America since 2009. And when one knows that sugar beets account for 55% of sugar input here, I’m outraged and scared.

23 Laurel May 21, 2009

Angela, I just HAD to tell you how much I enjoy your blog–especially lately! First of all, you introduced me to green monsters which I seriously CRAVE on a regular basis. OMG yum. Also, the talk about body image and “fat talk” rings so true in my life. I too used to be the skinniest girl of all my friends. I suffered from a mild eating disorder which was really just the result of a mission trip offering no vegetarian food for me + way excessive exercise and I dropped to a very unhealthy weight. I was OBSESSED with everything I ate, lost a lot of friends and was not happy. Now I finally have a healthy relationship with food, I am at a happy weight (which is bigger than a lot of my stick skinny friends) but hey, all my guy friends constantly comment on my figure and I gotta say, I LOVE my new curves :) So THANK YOU for addressing this MUY IMPORTANT topic. Keep it up girl!

24 Rose May 21, 2009

I had the same problem with To-doist! Loved it, then forgot about it and went back to jotting things down again. I say whatever’s easiest!

25 Kath May 21, 2009

Nooooooo!! You gave up already with ToDoist?!

I’ve switched to Gmail Tasks – simply for convenience over the summer. I might need Todoist back in the fall :)

26 Minta May 22, 2009

Hee hee.. I so love Sketchie!!