Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

Doughnuts are the new cupcake, did ya know? :)

img 1742 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

All of you can thank my sister Kristi for this post today because she is the one who had these amazing doughnut pans delivered to my doorstep for a birthday gift! :)

I have been meaning to buy these pans for a long time so I could make this incredible recipe over at Vegan Yum Yum. I am a huge fan of Lolo ever since I came across her website a few months ago. Did I mention she was on Martha Stewart? Umm, yea I know.

Lolo is a big freakin’ deal.

And we all love her.

So when I saw these amazingly cute vegan mini doughnuts on her site, I knew I had to make them. The only snag was that I didn’t have any doughnut pans. But don’t worry, I have found a way that you don’t need the pans to still make awesome doughnuts! You also don’t have to have vegan products to enjoy this recipe either.

Baked Vegan Doughnuts

img 1745 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

I followed Lolo’s recipe to a tee today because, well, she is a genius in the kitchen.

Dry Ingredients
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Sugar (I used raw cane sugar, but feel free to use white)
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp (scant) Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Cinnamon

Wet Ingredients
1/2 Cup Soymilk (I’m sure this would work with any milk or non-milk substitute)
1/2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar (I believe you can substitute this for regular white vinegar)
1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
Egg Replacer for 1 Egg (If you don’t use egg replacer feel free to use 1 egg)
4 Tbs Earth Balance (regular margarine should work too)

Icing Glaze:

• 1/2 cup powdered icing
  • 1 tbsp soy milk
  • sprinkles

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F. Take all the wet ingredients and put in a small pot on the stovetop on low. Whisk ingredients together to blend well. Do not let the mixture get too hot, it should just be warm to the touch. Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Add the wet to the dry and mix until just incorporated. Do not over mix. The batter will be 1) Very very sticky- but don’t worry, and 2) It tastes like a dream- try not to eat all of it. :)

Now comes the tricky part. Putting the batter into the doughnut pans. After a few trials, what I found worked best was taking a tablespoon’s worth of dough (if using the mini pans) and scooping it directly over the individual mold. Then take your fingers to press it out and make the middle pop through.

Bake for 12 minutes. You don’t want them brown, but they should slowly pop up when pressed with a finger. Cool on a wire rack and then decorate!

Makes 20 mini doughnuts.

Don’t have doughnut pans?

Now if you don’t have doughnut pans (and really who does??) you can shape them by hand. The trick is to WET your hands very well or the dough will stick to you like nobody’s business! Keep wetting your hands as soon as the dough sticks. I will show a picture of my ‘handmade’ doughnut below. It isn’t picture perfect, but they don’t need to be. What I also wish I did, is try making Timbits (or as the Americans call them, ‘doughnut holes’) by just making round balls of dough. The round balls would be really fun to roll in sprinkles too!

I tried to take pictures of the entire FUN process today!

I can’t say enough how easy and fun these were to make! They would be a big hit with kids. :)

img 1686 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World  img 1689 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World img 1691 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World img 1692 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World img 1693 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World img 1701 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World img 1703 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World img 1704 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

This is my handmade doughnut :)

img 1705 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

Out of the oven:

img 1710 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

making the icing (SO easy!):

img 1707 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

Removing from pans (use a knife around the edges of the mold- mine didn’t flip out):

img 1717 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World img 1710 thumb1   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World img 1713 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World img 1714 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

How cute are they?!

img 1716 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

My handmade one made me giggle. I loved it the most.

img 1720 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

Time to get dressed for school!!!

img 1723 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World img 1727 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World img 1728 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

Now here is where you can get creative:

Use different kinds of sprinkles. You could even try using different coloured icings!!!

img 1736 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World  img 1733 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World img 1734 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

I made a “Canadian, eh?” Maple Walnut doughnut :D I dipped it in icing, then sprinkled walnuts on it, and then drizzled pure maple syrup over it. WOW. You can guess which one I ate!

img 1732 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

Did I mention that these taste better than any doughnut I have had at the doughnut shop? I think it is because they are homemade. :)

img 1752 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World img 1739 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World img 1745 thumb1   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World img 1746 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

Covered in raw turbinado sugar:

img 1748 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

If anyone makes a non-vegan version (or the vegan version for that matter) let me know how it goes! These are honestly addicting!!

And they won’t break your calorie bank either.

One doughnut (with icing):

untitled thumb3   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

78 calories for a doughnut!!!??? Hot damn! :)

Add about 20 calories if you will be using sprinkles. It still comes in at under 100 calories per doughnut.

Oh and you can see my previous low fat baked banana doughnut recipe here. These are fantastic as well! I shaped all of those ones by hand and they came out fab.

And you can bet your socks I will be experimenting with this recipe. I am already planning on using some whole wheat flour and adding some mix-ins to my next batch.

Yum. Yum.

angela signature thumb50   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

Tonight’s question: What is your favourite kind of doughnut? Mine was always maple glazed doughnuts. I LOVE maple!

Amy May 20, 2009

FABULOUS! These donuts look so darn tasty and goregeous to boot. Never thought I needed a doughnut pan but somehow now it sounds absolutely necessary

Susan May 20, 2009

I am 100% making these for my boyfriend for his b-day coming up!! He’s a donut fiend and will be all over these!! Although, I think I may have to make them timbits style. I have a feeling my handmade donut will come out a chunky glob :P

Melissa May 20, 2009

Oh my gosh!! If I lived near you I’d so be coming over for a donut!! They look awesome!! :D

jenna May 20, 2009

Angela, those little donuts look amazing! I love the sprinkles :)

Katie May 20, 2009

you might have already answered this but where can you get donut pans?? i need to know so i can go make some!!!! :-D

Jenna May 20, 2009

wow this look awesome!!! :)

healthy ashley May 20, 2009

Angela, I am so impressed!! These look delicious and definitely bakery-worthy :)

Ashley May 20, 2009

AH ! these look amazinggg, you always make everything look dainty and perfect! i love it!

LindsayH May 20, 2009

They are so cute, and they look really tasty!
I’m vegan, so I just want to mention that the Wilton sprinkles are not vegan. I’m not sure what brand of nonpareils you are using but it’s possible they are not vegan either. Confectioner’s glaze (sometimes called confectionary glaze, confectioners coating, etc), a super common ingredient in candy or anything with that “glossy” finish (skittles, malted milk balls, jelly beans, sprinkles), is not vegan. It contains secretions from the lac beetle. While some people who consider themselves to be vegan probably do eat it, it’s technically not vegan.

Red Head, Yellow Dog May 20, 2009

I’m SO making these this weekend!! Is it okay to use James’ bday next week as an excuse to make all the baked goods I want?? Yes? I thought so.

Rose May 20, 2009

These donuts are better for you than those Holey Donuts I’ve seen everywhere on blogland! Kudos! :: cartwheels ::

Adventures of Alice May 20, 2009

I love a good sugared donut–just a simple glazed one with that slight sugar coating!

Fitzalan May 20, 2009

Holy wow. Sunday project, pre-Memorial day cookout, has been decided for me.

And I am with you, I adore maple doughnuts. I went to a maple festival in Virginia a few years ago and the maple doughnut I had was something I still dream about.

Happiness Awaits

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) May 20, 2009

I wish I could eat one of those now! Oh man they look good!

I love maple donuts and raspberry filled. YUM!

mi May 20, 2009

these are adorable!! i actually got a mini doughnut pan last summer, and made some cuties here -> http://wholefoodswholeme.wordpress.com/2008/08/17/mini-baked-doughnuts-a-whole-lot-of-other-food-5-day-challenge/

they weren’t vegan, but definitely yummy! as you can see if you go to the link, some of them were sprinkled, others were dipped in chocolate :)

HealthierMe May 20, 2009

Here’s a suggestion that might work for making the holes in the middle of the donuts. When I was little, my mom would make donuts out of canned biscuits, and to make the hole in the middle, she would clean (very well!) the lid to an old shampoo bottle (like the kind on these bottles: http://tinyurl.com/raf52t) and press it into the center of the biscuit. It worked well on the biscuits, but I don’t know how it would do with such a sticky batter like this one.

Whitney May 21, 2009

I have just found your blog and may I say it is fabulous! I have probably printed 10 recipes just today and I can’t wait to try these donuts! Thank you for educating the rest of us wannabe health nuts!

ttfn300 May 21, 2009

holy moly, i want a doughnut pan :) MUST MAKE THESE ASAP!

C May 27, 2009

hi Angela, These doughnuts look great! I was wondering if you use vegan sugar and vegan sprinkles for them?

nicole June 4, 2009

hey ang! I just made these with a few modifications (almond milk, eggs, butter) and they turned out so yummy! My children and I are going to decorate them and give them as a gift!

Thanks for the easy peasy recipe!

Katharina June 23, 2009

I’m making these right now! I’m actually using an egg, and I used 1/4 tsp vanilla extract and 1/4 tsp almond. I also have a butter pecan and coconut extract that I would love to try with this recipe. I almost forgot, I have a pistachio one as well! I can’t wait to see how they turn out!

X-country2 June 23, 2009

I found your blog, and I love it! Pretty pretties all around. Thanks for the awesome recipe. Weekend plan for sure.

Amy September 14, 2009

Wow! I just made these and they are awesome! I didnt temper my eggs on the stove very well–but they still came out great and are kind of a glorified cupcake!

Thanks! Love your site!!

Sarah September 29, 2009

Holy cow those look delicious! I those pans are sweet too!

Marie November 15, 2009

YUM! I’m definitely going to look into getting one of those doughnut pans. First I’ll try this recipe, and then the baked banana doughnuts. Thanks so much for sharing!

P.S. – Do you think these doughnut pans would work well for…oh, say bagels?

Jenn November 5, 2010

I just tried these (vegan version) and they are awesome!

AnnR August 24, 2012

Now I think I love you! I have changed my diet (trying for better health) and thought I was doomed to a donut free future. Celebrating 32 pounds lost – I will bake these this weekend to share during girls day with my sister-in-law and niece! (OK, the guys might get some too.)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 26, 2012

Congrats on your weight loss Ann! Enjoy :)

Amanda September 13, 2012

Does flax egg replacer work here as well?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 14, 2012

Hey Amanda, Im sorry I’m not sure. I would be worried the flax egg would make these a bit gummy in texture. Let me know if you try it out.

Shuchi October 22, 2012

Angela,

This my first time visiting your blog, and the Doughnut recipe is simple and yet exquisite. Would you know if this recipe will work in a doughnut maker as well?

Regards
Shuchi

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 22, 2012

Im sorry Im not sure!

Tisha October 25, 2012

Hi! Big fan! I’m doing a project for my class on how donuts can be under a 100 calories and delicious, based off this recipe. However, I need to know if you’ve adapted this recipe from any one. For instance, Hungry Girl. The final products also determines my grade. Thank you! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 25, 2012

Yes they were adapted from Vegan Yum Yum. Goodluck!

Kaylie December 16, 2012

Made these today and they’re great! Used regular white vinegar with no problems and an egg since I have no replaced but still yummy and perfect for my 4 y/o since they aren’t sugar laden!

Kathy January 9, 2013

What is powered icing and where do you find it?
Thanks,
Kathy

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 10, 2013

Its the same as confectioner’s sugar

Sarah January 30, 2013

How would you store these? and how long do they last? I plan on making these after i make some maple butter and then i think you know what i will do with them next! :P

Mimi February 14, 2013

Angela, this looks like a fantastic recipe! I used a different recipe but they came up a lot more dense- yours look fluffy! I’ll be making them this weekend. I laughed when I saw your handmade donut, I would’ve done the same had I not read to put the batter in a ziplock bag and just snip one edge of it! By the way, i love ALL of the recipes I’ve made from your blog. You are one super creative vegan lady! Good work (:

lina February 24, 2013

hi! i had a question, did you use the egg substitute prepared (powder with water) or just the powder? thank you :)

Ayla June 10, 2013

I love you. That is all. <3

Cassidy June 18, 2013

I LOVE this batter. It tastes amazing. My girlfriend and I must being doing something wrong though because our handmade donuts are turning out more pancake-like. Any advice?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 18, 2013

Hey Cassidy, You are right the texture is a bit like a pancake batter! I haven’t made this recipe in ages though so it’s a bit foggy.

MsBeautifulDifferent July 6, 2013

Hey! I just made these this afternoon and they were delicious:) I made a few changes: used half whole wheat flour and half all purpose flour, substituted the egg for 1/4 cup applesauce, and used only 1/4 cup of sugar in the raw instead of 1/2 cup of sugar. I really loved how the spices worked with the ‘butteriness’ of the earth balance. The recipe worked beautifully for making both mini donuts, and donut holes:)

Erin September 20, 2013

So this is my third review just today on your site! I love your recipes! Just made this and they are a total success! One question though: do you store them at room temp or in the fridge?

Kiran February 10, 2014

Hi! I made these over the weekend- with a flax egg! They turned out well BUT I did make two batches. The first I used Stevia int he raw to replace the sugar and they were on the bitter side. The second time, I used regular white sugar and the batter was still a bit bitter so I added more sugar and they were perfect. Do you feel that the 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder is too much?

P.S. the frosting is amazingly easy and I will be making these over and over again!

Page 2 of 3«123»