Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

Doughnuts are the new cupcake, did ya know? :)

IMG_1742

All of you can thank my sister Kristi for this post today because she is the one who had these amazing doughnut pans delivered to my doorstep for a birthday gift! :)

I have been meaning to buy these pans for a long time so I could make this incredible recipe over at Vegan Yum Yum. I am a huge fan of Lolo ever since I came across her website a few months ago. Did I mention she was on Martha Stewart? Umm, yea I know.

Lolo is a big freakin’ deal.

And we all love her.

So when I saw these amazingly cute vegan mini doughnuts on her site, I knew I had to make them. The only snag was that I didn’t have any doughnut pans. But don’t worry, I have found a way that you don’t need the pans to still make awesome doughnuts! You also don’t have to have vegan products to enjoy this recipe either.

Baked Vegan Doughnuts

IMG_1745

I followed Lolo’s recipe to a tee today because, well, she is a genius in the kitchen.

Dry Ingredients
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Sugar (I used raw cane sugar, but feel free to use white)
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp (scant) Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Cinnamon

Wet Ingredients
1/2 Cup Soymilk (I’m sure this would work with any milk or non-milk substitute)
1/2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar (I believe you can substitute this for regular white vinegar)
1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
Egg Replacer for 1 Egg (If you don’t use egg replacer feel free to use 1 egg)
4 Tbs Earth Balance (regular margarine should work too)

Icing Glaze:

• 1/2 cup powdered icing
  • 1 tbsp soy milk
  • sprinkles

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F. Take all the wet ingredients and put in a small pot on the stovetop on low. Whisk ingredients together to blend well. Do not let the mixture get too hot, it should just be warm to the touch. Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Add the wet to the dry and mix until just incorporated. Do not over mix. The batter will be 1) Very very sticky- but don’t worry, and 2) It tastes like a dream– try not to eat all of it. :)

Now comes the tricky part. Putting the batter into the doughnut pans. After a few trials, what I found worked best was taking a tablespoon’s worth of dough (if using the mini pans) and scooping it directly over the individual mold. Then take your fingers to press it out and make the middle pop through.

Bake for 12 minutes. You don’t want them brown, but they should slowly pop up when pressed with a finger. Cool on a wire rack and then decorate!

Makes 20 mini doughnuts.

Don’t have doughnut pans?

Now if you don’t have doughnut pans (and really who does??) you can shape them by hand. The trick is to WET your hands very well or the dough will stick to you like nobody’s business! Keep wetting your hands as soon as the dough sticks. I will show a picture of my ‘handmade’ doughnut below. It isn’t picture perfect, but they don’t need to be. What I also wish I did, is try making Timbits (or as the Americans call them, ‘doughnut holes’) by just making round balls of dough. The round balls would be really fun to roll in sprinkles too!

I tried to take pictures of the entire FUN process today!

I can’t say enough how easy and fun these were to make! They would be a big hit with kids. :)

IMG_1686  IMG_1689 IMG_1691 IMG_1692 IMG_1693 IMG_1701 IMG_1703 IMG_1704

This is my handmade doughnut :)

IMG_1705

Out of the oven:

IMG_1710

making the icing (SO easy!):

IMG_1707

Removing from pans (use a knife around the edges of the mold- mine didn’t flip out):

IMG_1717 IMG_1710 IMG_1713 IMG_1714

How cute are they?!

IMG_1716

My handmade one made me giggle. I loved it the most.

IMG_1720

Time to get dressed for school!!!

IMG_1723 IMG_1727 IMG_1728

Now here is where you can get creative:

Use different kinds of sprinkles. You could even try using different coloured icings!!!

IMG_1736  IMG_1733 IMG_1734

I made a “Canadian, eh?” Maple Walnut doughnut :D I dipped it in icing, then sprinkled walnuts on it, and then drizzled pure maple syrup over it. WOW. You can guess which one I ate!

IMG_1732

Did I mention that these taste better than any doughnut I have had at the doughnut shop? I think it is because they are homemade. :)

IMG_1752 IMG_1739 IMG_1745 IMG_1746

Covered in raw turbinado sugar:

IMG_1748

If anyone makes a non-vegan version (or the vegan version for that matter) let me know how it goes! These are honestly addicting!!

And they won’t break your calorie bank either.

One doughnut (with icing):

Untitled

78 calories for a doughnut!!!??? Hot damn! :)

Add about 20 calories if you will be using sprinkles. It still comes in at under 100 calories per doughnut.

Oh and you can see my previous low fat baked banana doughnut recipe here. These are fantastic as well! I shaped all of those ones by hand and they came out fab.

And you can bet your socks I will be experimenting with this recipe. I am already planning on using some whole wheat flour and adding some mix-ins to my next batch.

Yum. Yum.

Angela_Signature

Tonight’s question: What is your favourite kind of doughnut? Mine was always maple glazed doughnuts. I LOVE maple!

1 Minta May 19, 2009

Yum! I am going to make those! I’ve written doughnut pan on my shopping list.

2 Minta May 19, 2009

ooo I’ve just noticed there’s 12 hours difference between us. ha ha.. I’m so slow….

3 *Andrea* May 19, 2009

ooooomg! these look freaking delicious! and they’re VEGAN!?! that’s amazing.. no butter or eggs = no cholesterol YAYAYAYYY. i seriously wish you could open a store in boston and i would go every day :) you’re so talented!! the handmade one is the cutest haha

4 haya (living and learning) May 19, 2009

SO CUTE. vanilla dip donuts with rainbow sprinkles are my usual pick on the once or twice a year visit to timmies because the colours make me happy

oh! i found brown rice syrup at planet organic, in case you’re still on the lookout for it. not sure if there are any in your neck of the woods, but there are a few in the gta (just north of the city).

5 janetha May 19, 2009

i too loved the handmade one the very absolute most. adorable.

thanks for this, i am going to find a pan and bake these for my vegan boys ASAP!

national jelly filled donut day is coming up.. do you think this recipe would work for filled donuts as well? or do you have one that would?

6 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 19, 2009

I’m glad you like the handmade one too! HEHE :)

Haya- Thanks for the tip I will look for it!

Janetha- I definitely think you can make cream or jelly filled ones using a normal muffin pan! Scoop 1/2 T or so into the pan, then the filling, and then another 1/2 T on top of it. That should work???

7 Susan May 19, 2009

those look amazing and yummy. Question – could WW flour be used as a subsititute for white?

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 19, 2009

Hi Susan- I would try substituting half and half first. I will try that next time! 1/2 cup white flour, 1/2 cup whole wheat…worth a shot!

9 Mecca January 1, 2015

What about Spelt flour? & could I use Coconut sugar instead of regular sugar?

10 rikki June 7, 2016

I’ve made them exclusively with spelt flour and they come out AMAZING!

11 Meg May 19, 2009

Holy cow! These look amazing! I’ve always wanted to try to make your banana donuts as well – I look at the recipe every once in a while, cause it’s saved in my computer, and next week I’m having some people over, so I’m thinking about making them as a little treat! :) I wish I had some donut pans though (haha) cause my fingers are pretty clumsy when it comes to shaping things! :P

My favorite donuts would have to be chocolate with sprinkles, or maple glazed. Boston Creme filled are good as well…oh goodness, they’re ALL good ;)

Have a great night!

12 Mara @ What's For Dinner? May 19, 2009

Up next on OSG: Green Monster Donuts :)

My favorite donut is from VooDoo Donuts in Portland: maple glazed with bacon. amazing!

13 Sarah (lovINmytummy) May 19, 2009

Adorable! I just showed Gracie these and she said, “Can we make these today?!”

I wonder if you could pipe the donuts out of a pastry bag? I have a feeling we’ll find out soon…

Sarah- I LOVE that idea- piping doughnuts!?!? Awesome. I am so trying this!!! You could also pipe regular icing on top of them too! Angela

14 Dee May 19, 2009

My favourite has to be the Tim Horton’s Honey Crueller.

15 Shelby May 19, 2009

Aren’t those amazing!!!??? I made them a while back and I couldn’t get enough =)

16 Maggie May 19, 2009

These sound fantastic! I can’t wait to make them :) I want a cute donut pan too.

17 Jessica May 19, 2009

My favorite donut ever is a vanila sprinkled!! I will def be trying these homemade beauties out!

18 chanturtle May 19, 2009

omg donuts are my weakness!!!!omg this is like amazing!!!!

19 Kiersten May 19, 2009

Those look so cute! Especially your handmade one.

20 Jenny May 19, 2009

those look INCREDBLE!!! and the donut pans worked out perfectly! i love your idea for the “canadian, eh” donut – too funny!

21 brandi May 19, 2009

those look SO good!

22 Lynne May 19, 2009

Those are so cute, and under 100 cals! I may have to make a batch.

23 Jocelyn May 19, 2009

and TIMBITS is the word. lol

love love love this post..those look so cute!

24 Heather May 19, 2009

These look so fun to make… and boy are they cute! Great recipe Angela. Thanks for sharing! :)

25 Kori (All Things B.) May 19, 2009

Angela your first pic is so cute! Do you ever submit your photos to Tastespotting.com? Your pics would be perfect for them! Can’t wait to try these myself! Thanks for the info!

26 Krista May 19, 2009

Those look awesome, Angela! Thanks for the step by step. Sometimes a recipe can seem pretty daunting so it’s nice to have visuals to see how simple it can be!

27 theoddbod May 19, 2009

beauty blobnut!

28 Help Meghan Run May 19, 2009

Yummy! I am bookmarking this recipe and will let you know if (or *when*) I make them. :)

www. HelpMeghanRun .com

29 Bec May 19, 2009

wow homemade donuts I need to make these!

30 kristen May 19, 2009

For “regular’ donuts my favourites have sprinkles on them…i love the sprinkles. But I was in San Francisco in December and visited “Dynamo Donut” and had a Lemon Thyme donut- delightful. I was a little disappointed that they didn’t have their chipotle chocolate or their famous apple maple bacon though…

You are right that donuts are the new cupcakes. San Fran was FULL of donut shops (i’m pretty sure my husband ate one or two donuts a day when we were there)

31 Kayzilla May 19, 2009

You know, I can rarely make most of your recipes because they usually call for an item I don’t have (and require lots of parental unit harassing to get) but I think I actually have the majority of the ingrediants to make the base. Frosting is a whole different story, but I always thought donuts tasted best unfrosted. :O

I.. might actually make these next time I want something sweet really bad and would push elderly women into the streets to get. 1. It looks easy&tasty&more nutritionally satisfying then a donut shop.. donut (Holey moley! 100 calories. Ahhh so much donut for so little price) 2. Saves old ladies from the wrath of donut-craving Kayzilla.

Thanks for sharing the recipe!!! <3

32 Juli (Peanut Butter and Juli) May 19, 2009

Just beautiful! I would love to try those.

You’re amazing

33 Clare May 19, 2009

These are so cute! They’re definately going on my “to-bake” list for the weekend. I think I’m going to try and modify them and add in some pumpkin puree to make pumpkin donuts and top them with some maple icing… I’ll let you know how they turn out!

34 Holly May 19, 2009

My fav has forever been strawberry frosted with sprinkles! Oooh, haven’t had one in YEARS!

RE: Jelly/cream filled donuts….the way I’ve seen them done and shops in the past (and similar to eclairs I’ve made in the past) you kind of just make the round donut and then after it’s baked and cooled, pipe the filling directly into the side of the pastry. Not sure if actually baking it inside could save this step though :o) This was such a fun post!

35 Asta May 19, 2009

awwww they are so pretty! I’d love a pink one uuu or Purple!!

36 Kris May 19, 2009

mmmmmmmmmmmm! yummy! :)

37 TorontoGirloutWest May 19, 2009

Shut up!!! lol That’s an awesome doughnut recipe!!! And I’d never heard of this Lolo before. I’m heading over to her blog STAT!

38 kristi (sweet cheeks) May 19, 2009

Wowzers, those look amazing!! I have been meaning to try your banana doughnut recipe ever since I saw it in Jenna’s E cookbook! Thanks for the reminder. :D

Have a great night!

39 emily May 19, 2009

oooh, Adorable!

40 Carine May 19, 2009

I so wanted to make ‘baked doughnuts’ since months ago but I haven’t had the chance to make them yet!! Yours look great :)

41 Kristie May 19, 2009

EEK! I adore these! How freaking cute and lovely. I want to make them asap. I have no pan but I love the “rustic” look of the self-shaped donuts so I’ll just have to use that method :) I’m so excited to make these!

42 Christina May 20, 2009

Wow I will HAVE to make these for my boyfriend’s family. I’m supposed to be helping them get healthy but his Dad goes out to Dunkin Donuts almost every weekend and comes home with a whole boxful of donuts. I can’t wait to surprise them one weekend with these :) Can you get powdered icing at a normal grocery store?

and my all-time favorite donut? Vanilla Creme. Although I love maple syrup and think if I ever tried a maple glazed one I might change my mind!

43 Amy May 20, 2009

FABULOUS! These donuts look so darn tasty and goregeous to boot. Never thought I needed a doughnut pan but somehow now it sounds absolutely necessary

44 Susan May 20, 2009

I am 100% making these for my boyfriend for his b-day coming up!! He’s a donut fiend and will be all over these!! Although, I think I may have to make them timbits style. I have a feeling my handmade donut will come out a chunky glob :P

45 Melissa May 20, 2009

Oh my gosh!! If I lived near you I’d so be coming over for a donut!! They look awesome!! :D

46 jenna May 20, 2009

Angela, those little donuts look amazing! I love the sprinkles :)

47 Katie May 20, 2009

you might have already answered this but where can you get donut pans?? i need to know so i can go make some!!!! :-D

48 Jenna May 20, 2009

wow this look awesome!!! :)

49 healthy ashley May 20, 2009

Angela, I am so impressed!! These look delicious and definitely bakery-worthy :)

50 Ashley May 20, 2009

AH ! these look amazinggg, you always make everything look dainty and perfect! i love it!

51 LindsayH May 20, 2009

They are so cute, and they look really tasty!
I’m vegan, so I just want to mention that the Wilton sprinkles are not vegan. I’m not sure what brand of nonpareils you are using but it’s possible they are not vegan either. Confectioner’s glaze (sometimes called confectionary glaze, confectioners coating, etc), a super common ingredient in candy or anything with that “glossy” finish (skittles, malted milk balls, jelly beans, sprinkles), is not vegan. It contains secretions from the lac beetle. While some people who consider themselves to be vegan probably do eat it, it’s technically not vegan.

52 Red Head, Yellow Dog May 20, 2009

I’m SO making these this weekend!! Is it okay to use James’ bday next week as an excuse to make all the baked goods I want?? Yes? I thought so.

53 Rose May 20, 2009

These donuts are better for you than those Holey Donuts I’ve seen everywhere on blogland! Kudos! :: cartwheels ::

54 Adventures of Alice May 20, 2009

I love a good sugared donut–just a simple glazed one with that slight sugar coating!

55 Fitzalan May 20, 2009

Holy wow. Sunday project, pre-Memorial day cookout, has been decided for me.

And I am with you, I adore maple doughnuts. I went to a maple festival in Virginia a few years ago and the maple doughnut I had was something I still dream about.

Happiness Awaits

56 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) May 20, 2009

I wish I could eat one of those now! Oh man they look good!

I love maple donuts and raspberry filled. YUM!

57 mi May 20, 2009

these are adorable!! i actually got a mini doughnut pan last summer, and made some cuties here -> http://wholefoodswholeme.wordpress.com/2008/08/17/mini-baked-doughnuts-a-whole-lot-of-other-food-5-day-challenge/

they weren’t vegan, but definitely yummy! as you can see if you go to the link, some of them were sprinkled, others were dipped in chocolate :)

58 HealthierMe May 20, 2009

Here’s a suggestion that might work for making the holes in the middle of the donuts. When I was little, my mom would make donuts out of canned biscuits, and to make the hole in the middle, she would clean (very well!) the lid to an old shampoo bottle (like the kind on these bottles: http://tinyurl.com/raf52t) and press it into the center of the biscuit. It worked well on the biscuits, but I don’t know how it would do with such a sticky batter like this one.

59 Whitney May 21, 2009

I have just found your blog and may I say it is fabulous! I have probably printed 10 recipes just today and I can’t wait to try these donuts! Thank you for educating the rest of us wannabe health nuts!

60 ttfn300 May 21, 2009

holy moly, i want a doughnut pan :) MUST MAKE THESE ASAP!

61 C May 27, 2009

hi Angela, These doughnuts look great! I was wondering if you use vegan sugar and vegan sprinkles for them?

62 nicole June 4, 2009

hey ang! I just made these with a few modifications (almond milk, eggs, butter) and they turned out so yummy! My children and I are going to decorate them and give them as a gift!

Thanks for the easy peasy recipe!

63 Katharina June 23, 2009

I’m making these right now! I’m actually using an egg, and I used 1/4 tsp vanilla extract and 1/4 tsp almond. I also have a butter pecan and coconut extract that I would love to try with this recipe. I almost forgot, I have a pistachio one as well! I can’t wait to see how they turn out!

64 X-country2 June 23, 2009

I found your blog, and I love it! Pretty pretties all around. Thanks for the awesome recipe. Weekend plan for sure.

65 Amy September 14, 2009

Wow! I just made these and they are awesome! I didnt temper my eggs on the stove very well–but they still came out great and are kind of a glorified cupcake!

Thanks! Love your site!!

66 Sarah September 29, 2009

Holy cow those look delicious! I those pans are sweet too!

67 Marie November 15, 2009

YUM! I’m definitely going to look into getting one of those doughnut pans. First I’ll try this recipe, and then the baked banana doughnuts. Thanks so much for sharing!

P.S. – Do you think these doughnut pans would work well for…oh, say bagels?

68 Jenn November 5, 2010

I just tried these (vegan version) and they are awesome!

69 AnnR August 24, 2012

Now I think I love you! I have changed my diet (trying for better health) and thought I was doomed to a donut free future. Celebrating 32 pounds lost – I will bake these this weekend to share during girls day with my sister-in-law and niece! (OK, the guys might get some too.)

70 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 26, 2012

Congrats on your weight loss Ann! Enjoy :)

71 Amanda September 13, 2012

Does flax egg replacer work here as well?

72 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 14, 2012

Hey Amanda, Im sorry I’m not sure. I would be worried the flax egg would make these a bit gummy in texture. Let me know if you try it out.

73 Shuchi October 22, 2012

Angela,

This my first time visiting your blog, and the Doughnut recipe is simple and yet exquisite. Would you know if this recipe will work in a doughnut maker as well?

Regards
Shuchi

74 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 22, 2012

Im sorry Im not sure!

75 Tisha October 25, 2012

Hi! Big fan! I’m doing a project for my class on how donuts can be under a 100 calories and delicious, based off this recipe. However, I need to know if you’ve adapted this recipe from any one. For instance, Hungry Girl. The final products also determines my grade. Thank you! :)

76 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 25, 2012

Yes they were adapted from Vegan Yum Yum. Goodluck!

77 Kaylie December 16, 2012

Made these today and they’re great! Used regular white vinegar with no problems and an egg since I have no replaced but still yummy and perfect for my 4 y/o since they aren’t sugar laden!

78 Kathy January 9, 2013

What is powered icing and where do you find it?
Thanks,
Kathy

79 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 10, 2013

Its the same as confectioner’s sugar

80 Sarah January 30, 2013

How would you store these? and how long do they last? I plan on making these after i make some maple butter and then i think you know what i will do with them next! :P

81 Mimi February 14, 2013

Angela, this looks like a fantastic recipe! I used a different recipe but they came up a lot more dense- yours look fluffy! I’ll be making them this weekend. I laughed when I saw your handmade donut, I would’ve done the same had I not read to put the batter in a ziplock bag and just snip one edge of it! By the way, i love ALL of the recipes I’ve made from your blog. You are one super creative vegan lady! Good work (:

82 lina February 24, 2013

hi! i had a question, did you use the egg substitute prepared (powder with water) or just the powder? thank you :)

83 Ayla June 10, 2013

I love you. That is all. <3

84 Cassidy June 18, 2013

I LOVE this batter. It tastes amazing. My girlfriend and I must being doing something wrong though because our handmade donuts are turning out more pancake-like. Any advice?

85 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 18, 2013

Hey Cassidy, You are right the texture is a bit like a pancake batter! I haven’t made this recipe in ages though so it’s a bit foggy.

86 MsBeautifulDifferent July 6, 2013

Hey! I just made these this afternoon and they were delicious:) I made a few changes: used half whole wheat flour and half all purpose flour, substituted the egg for 1/4 cup applesauce, and used only 1/4 cup of sugar in the raw instead of 1/2 cup of sugar. I really loved how the spices worked with the ‘butteriness’ of the earth balance. The recipe worked beautifully for making both mini donuts, and donut holes:)

87 Erin September 20, 2013

So this is my third review just today on your site! I love your recipes! Just made this and they are a total success! One question though: do you store them at room temp or in the fridge?

88 Kiran February 10, 2014

Hi! I made these over the weekend- with a flax egg! They turned out well BUT I did make two batches. The first I used Stevia int he raw to replace the sugar and they were on the bitter side. The second time, I used regular white sugar and the batter was still a bit bitter so I added more sugar and they were perfect. Do you feel that the 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder is too much?

P.S. the frosting is amazingly easy and I will be making these over and over again!

89 Jaime March 4, 2014

Help! I’m dying to make these baked doughnuts, but I’m out of Earth Balance? What can I substitute it with?

90 juliana March 17, 2014

hi angela, how long do these keep for? and have you tried freezing them?

91 Jen September 22, 2014

For some reason my batter was very watery :( so I just made blobby cookies out of it

92 Jill March 30, 2015

I just made these yesterday! I made 2 batches. 1 turned out and the other didn’t turn out as good. I included what I did in case anyone was interested…

1st batch (not as good)
-I used All purpose gluten free flour instead of all purpose flour
-I used coconut sugar instead of white sugar
-I used butter (not vegan) instead of earth balance or margarine
-I used almond milk instead of soy milk

They weren’t as soft and fluffy as my 2nd batch.

Here’s what I did for 2nd batch:
-I used all purpose flour
-I used brown sugar
-I still used butter
-I still used almond milk

The 2nd batch turned out amazing and I’ll definitely make these again. They take no time at all and my husband still can’t believe that I made donuts!

93 Peggy June 20, 2016

Made these are directed (vegan). They came out moist, plump and perfect. No alterations needed for me. I am going to try the banana version very soon. Thanks for this blog. I love your vegan cheeses too.

94 Angela Liddon June 20, 2016

Thanks for the lovely comment, Peggy! I’m so happy the doughnuts were a hit. :)