Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

Doughnuts are the new cupcake, did ya know? :)

img 1742 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

All of you can thank my sister Kristi for this post today because she is the one who had these amazing doughnut pans delivered to my doorstep for a birthday gift! :)

I have been meaning to buy these pans for a long time so I could make this incredible recipe over at Vegan Yum Yum. I am a huge fan of Lolo ever since I came across her website a few months ago. Did I mention she was on Martha Stewart? Umm, yea I know.

Lolo is a big freakin’ deal.

And we all love her.

So when I saw these amazingly cute vegan mini doughnuts on her site, I knew I had to make them. The only snag was that I didn’t have any doughnut pans. But don’t worry, I have found a way that you don’t need the pans to still make awesome doughnuts! You also don’t have to have vegan products to enjoy this recipe either.

Baked Vegan Doughnuts

img 1745 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

I followed Lolo’s recipe to a tee today because, well, she is a genius in the kitchen.

Dry Ingredients
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Sugar (I used raw cane sugar, but feel free to use white)
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp (scant) Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Cinnamon

Wet Ingredients
1/2 Cup Soymilk (I’m sure this would work with any milk or non-milk substitute)
1/2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar (I believe you can substitute this for regular white vinegar)
1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
Egg Replacer for 1 Egg (If you don’t use egg replacer feel free to use 1 egg)
4 Tbs Earth Balance (regular margarine should work too)

Icing Glaze:

• 1/2 cup powdered icing
  • 1 tbsp soy milk
  • sprinkles

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F. Take all the wet ingredients and put in a small pot on the stovetop on low. Whisk ingredients together to blend well. Do not let the mixture get too hot, it should just be warm to the touch. Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Add the wet to the dry and mix until just incorporated. Do not over mix. The batter will be 1) Very very sticky- but don’t worry, and 2) It tastes like a dream- try not to eat all of it. :)

Now comes the tricky part. Putting the batter into the doughnut pans. After a few trials, what I found worked best was taking a tablespoon’s worth of dough (if using the mini pans) and scooping it directly over the individual mold. Then take your fingers to press it out and make the middle pop through.

Bake for 12 minutes. You don’t want them brown, but they should slowly pop up when pressed with a finger. Cool on a wire rack and then decorate!

Makes 20 mini doughnuts.

Don’t have doughnut pans?

Now if you don’t have doughnut pans (and really who does??) you can shape them by hand. The trick is to WET your hands very well or the dough will stick to you like nobody’s business! Keep wetting your hands as soon as the dough sticks. I will show a picture of my ‘handmade’ doughnut below. It isn’t picture perfect, but they don’t need to be. What I also wish I did, is try making Timbits (or as the Americans call them, ‘doughnut holes’) by just making round balls of dough. The round balls would be really fun to roll in sprinkles too!

I tried to take pictures of the entire FUN process today!

I can’t say enough how easy and fun these were to make! They would be a big hit with kids. :)

img 1686 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World  img 1689 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World img 1691 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World img 1692 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World img 1693 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World img 1701 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World img 1703 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World img 1704 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

This is my handmade doughnut :)

img 1705 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

Out of the oven:

img 1710 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

making the icing (SO easy!):

img 1707 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

Removing from pans (use a knife around the edges of the mold- mine didn’t flip out):

img 1717 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World img 1710 thumb1   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World img 1713 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World img 1714 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

How cute are they?!

img 1716 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

My handmade one made me giggle. I loved it the most.

img 1720 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

Time to get dressed for school!!!

img 1723 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World img 1727 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World img 1728 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

Now here is where you can get creative:

Use different kinds of sprinkles. You could even try using different coloured icings!!!

img 1736 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World  img 1733 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World img 1734 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

I made a “Canadian, eh?” Maple Walnut doughnut :D I dipped it in icing, then sprinkled walnuts on it, and then drizzled pure maple syrup over it. WOW. You can guess which one I ate!

img 1732 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

Did I mention that these taste better than any doughnut I have had at the doughnut shop? I think it is because they are homemade. :)

img 1752 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World img 1739 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World img 1745 thumb1   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World img 1746 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

Covered in raw turbinado sugar:

img 1748 thumb   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

If anyone makes a non-vegan version (or the vegan version for that matter) let me know how it goes! These are honestly addicting!!

And they won’t break your calorie bank either.

One doughnut (with icing):

untitled thumb3   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

78 calories for a doughnut!!!??? Hot damn! :)

Add about 20 calories if you will be using sprinkles. It still comes in at under 100 calories per doughnut.

Oh and you can see my previous low fat baked banana doughnut recipe here. These are fantastic as well! I shaped all of those ones by hand and they came out fab.

And you can bet your socks I will be experimenting with this recipe. I am already planning on using some whole wheat flour and adding some mix-ins to my next batch.

Yum. Yum.

angela signature thumb50   Baked Doughnuts That Will Change Your World

Tonight’s question: What is your favourite kind of doughnut? Mine was always maple glazed doughnuts. I LOVE maple!

Minta May 19, 2009

Yum! I am going to make those! I’ve written doughnut pan on my shopping list.

Minta May 19, 2009

ooo I’ve just noticed there’s 12 hours difference between us. ha ha.. I’m so slow….

*Andrea* May 19, 2009

ooooomg! these look freaking delicious! and they’re VEGAN!?! that’s amazing.. no butter or eggs = no cholesterol YAYAYAYYY. i seriously wish you could open a store in boston and i would go every day :) you’re so talented!! the handmade one is the cutest haha

haya (living and learning) May 19, 2009

SO CUTE. vanilla dip donuts with rainbow sprinkles are my usual pick on the once or twice a year visit to timmies because the colours make me happy

oh! i found brown rice syrup at planet organic, in case you’re still on the lookout for it. not sure if there are any in your neck of the woods, but there are a few in the gta (just north of the city).

janetha May 19, 2009

i too loved the handmade one the very absolute most. adorable.

thanks for this, i am going to find a pan and bake these for my vegan boys ASAP!

national jelly filled donut day is coming up.. do you think this recipe would work for filled donuts as well? or do you have one that would?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 19, 2009

I’m glad you like the handmade one too! HEHE :)

Haya- Thanks for the tip I will look for it!

Janetha- I definitely think you can make cream or jelly filled ones using a normal muffin pan! Scoop 1/2 T or so into the pan, then the filling, and then another 1/2 T on top of it. That should work???

Susan May 19, 2009

those look amazing and yummy. Question – could WW flour be used as a subsititute for white?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 19, 2009

Hi Susan- I would try substituting half and half first. I will try that next time! 1/2 cup white flour, 1/2 cup whole wheat…worth a shot!

Meg May 19, 2009

Holy cow! These look amazing! I’ve always wanted to try to make your banana donuts as well – I look at the recipe every once in a while, cause it’s saved in my computer, and next week I’m having some people over, so I’m thinking about making them as a little treat! :) I wish I had some donut pans though (haha) cause my fingers are pretty clumsy when it comes to shaping things! :P

My favorite donuts would have to be chocolate with sprinkles, or maple glazed. Boston Creme filled are good as well…oh goodness, they’re ALL good ;)

Have a great night!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? May 19, 2009

Up next on OSG: Green Monster Donuts :)

My favorite donut is from VooDoo Donuts in Portland: maple glazed with bacon. amazing!

Sarah (lovINmytummy) May 19, 2009

Adorable! I just showed Gracie these and she said, “Can we make these today?!”

I wonder if you could pipe the donuts out of a pastry bag? I have a feeling we’ll find out soon…

Sarah- I LOVE that idea- piping doughnuts!?!? Awesome. I am so trying this!!! You could also pipe regular icing on top of them too! Angela

Dee May 19, 2009

My favourite has to be the Tim Horton’s Honey Crueller.

Shelby May 19, 2009

Aren’t those amazing!!!??? I made them a while back and I couldn’t get enough =)

Maggie May 19, 2009

These sound fantastic! I can’t wait to make them :) I want a cute donut pan too.

Jessica May 19, 2009

My favorite donut ever is a vanila sprinkled!! I will def be trying these homemade beauties out!

chanturtle May 19, 2009

omg donuts are my weakness!!!!omg this is like amazing!!!!

Kiersten May 19, 2009

Those look so cute! Especially your handmade one.

Jenny May 19, 2009

those look INCREDBLE!!! and the donut pans worked out perfectly! i love your idea for the “canadian, eh” donut – too funny!

brandi May 19, 2009

those look SO good!

Lynne May 19, 2009

Those are so cute, and under 100 cals! I may have to make a batch.

Jocelyn May 19, 2009

and TIMBITS is the word. lol

love love love this post..those look so cute!

Heather May 19, 2009

These look so fun to make… and boy are they cute! Great recipe Angela. Thanks for sharing! :)

Kori (All Things B.) May 19, 2009

Angela your first pic is so cute! Do you ever submit your photos to Tastespotting.com? Your pics would be perfect for them! Can’t wait to try these myself! Thanks for the info!

Krista May 19, 2009

Those look awesome, Angela! Thanks for the step by step. Sometimes a recipe can seem pretty daunting so it’s nice to have visuals to see how simple it can be!

theoddbod May 19, 2009

beauty blobnut!

Help Meghan Run May 19, 2009

Yummy! I am bookmarking this recipe and will let you know if (or *when*) I make them. :)

www. HelpMeghanRun .com

Bec May 19, 2009

wow homemade donuts I need to make these!

kristen May 19, 2009

For “regular’ donuts my favourites have sprinkles on them…i love the sprinkles. But I was in San Francisco in December and visited “Dynamo Donut” and had a Lemon Thyme donut- delightful. I was a little disappointed that they didn’t have their chipotle chocolate or their famous apple maple bacon though…

You are right that donuts are the new cupcakes. San Fran was FULL of donut shops (i’m pretty sure my husband ate one or two donuts a day when we were there)

Kayzilla May 19, 2009

You know, I can rarely make most of your recipes because they usually call for an item I don’t have (and require lots of parental unit harassing to get) but I think I actually have the majority of the ingrediants to make the base. Frosting is a whole different story, but I always thought donuts tasted best unfrosted. :O

I.. might actually make these next time I want something sweet really bad and would push elderly women into the streets to get. 1. It looks easy&tasty&more nutritionally satisfying then a donut shop.. donut (Holey moley! 100 calories. Ahhh so much donut for so little price) 2. Saves old ladies from the wrath of donut-craving Kayzilla.

Thanks for sharing the recipe!!! <3

Juli (Peanut Butter and Juli) May 19, 2009

Just beautiful! I would love to try those.

You’re amazing

Clare May 19, 2009

These are so cute! They’re definately going on my “to-bake” list for the weekend. I think I’m going to try and modify them and add in some pumpkin puree to make pumpkin donuts and top them with some maple icing… I’ll let you know how they turn out!

Holly May 19, 2009

My fav has forever been strawberry frosted with sprinkles! Oooh, haven’t had one in YEARS!

RE: Jelly/cream filled donuts….the way I’ve seen them done and shops in the past (and similar to eclairs I’ve made in the past) you kind of just make the round donut and then after it’s baked and cooled, pipe the filling directly into the side of the pastry. Not sure if actually baking it inside could save this step though :o) This was such a fun post!

Asta May 19, 2009

awwww they are so pretty! I’d love a pink one uuu or Purple!!

Kris May 19, 2009

mmmmmmmmmmmm! yummy! :)

TorontoGirloutWest May 19, 2009

Shut up!!! lol That’s an awesome doughnut recipe!!! And I’d never heard of this Lolo before. I’m heading over to her blog STAT!

kristi (sweet cheeks) May 19, 2009

Wowzers, those look amazing!! I have been meaning to try your banana doughnut recipe ever since I saw it in Jenna’s E cookbook! Thanks for the reminder. :D

Have a great night!

emily May 19, 2009

oooh, Adorable!

Carine May 19, 2009

I so wanted to make ‘baked doughnuts’ since months ago but I haven’t had the chance to make them yet!! Yours look great :)

Kristie May 19, 2009

EEK! I adore these! How freaking cute and lovely. I want to make them asap. I have no pan but I love the “rustic” look of the self-shaped donuts so I’ll just have to use that method :) I’m so excited to make these!

Christina May 20, 2009

Wow I will HAVE to make these for my boyfriend’s family. I’m supposed to be helping them get healthy but his Dad goes out to Dunkin Donuts almost every weekend and comes home with a whole boxful of donuts. I can’t wait to surprise them one weekend with these :) Can you get powdered icing at a normal grocery store?

and my all-time favorite donut? Vanilla Creme. Although I love maple syrup and think if I ever tried a maple glazed one I might change my mind!

Page 1 of 3123»