Now I Am Whole

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on May 17, 2009

IMG_1555

It was as if everything in my life up to this point was somehow meaningless when we drove up to Whole Foods!!!!!!!!!

I was screaming at Eric, “WE’RE HERE!!!!!!!!!! OMG that looks just like all the pictures that I’ve seen on blogs!!!” lol

We walked in the doors and I immediately saw all the samples everywhere! I tried everything from fresh bread to carrots and dip! My God I was in heaven!

And then, I turned the corner to see THIS WALL OF STASH TEA!!!!!

IMG_1557

I had to scrape my jaw off the floor. Eric found the whole situation amusing at first and then highly annoying by the time we were done. :)

IMG_1556

I must have spent at least 10 minutes just trying to decide on the teas I was going to buy!!!

I’m sure all the ‘regulars’ thought it was quite absurd that I was getting my picture next to TEA! hahaha.

To my delight, they had virtually every organic food product that I have ever heard of in the blog world!! Tofutti? Earth Balance Shortening?  Check! Check! Organic dandelion? Check! Organic wheatberries? Check Check Check!

I had to pull myself together a few times because I was acting like I was a customer in Supermarket Sweep! I kept thinking, “I don’t know when I will have the chance to come back here- I better stock up!!!” to which Eric replied, “Ange, we are only 30 mins away!” lol.

I was dancing. This was even more fun than my trip to Cayne’s yesterday!

Then Eric made the mistake of letting me loose in the vitamin section…I was in there for a good 20 minutes!

Eric goes, “It’s a good thing we got a MINI cart!” It was full to the brim. :)

And here is what I got!

The produce:

IMG_1573

• Organic PURPLE kale!!!! (PURPLE MONSTERS!!!! WHO KNEW???)
  • Organic Dandelion!!!!!!!!
  • Organic green kale (step aside!) ;)
  • My first ever artichoke purchase (I’d like to try making a dip!)
  • 4 tomatoes
  • 2 avocados
  • 4 pears
  • 4 oranges
  • Bears BEETS Battlestar galactica (After seeing Jenna try beets in her GM I knew I had to try it out!)
  • Cantaloupe
  • Organic Fuji apples
  • Red pepper

I’m either going to have some super GROSS GM’s this week, or super fantastic earth changing GM’s! lol

IMG_1574 IMG_1575

BEETS! Who buys beets??? Apparently me! I don’t even know what to do with them? I don’t peel them do I??? lol. I’m so lost.

IMG_1576 IMG_1577

The grains:

IMG_1586

• Wholegrain Ciabatta baguette (we sampled this and it was lovely)
  • Stonemill Sprouted grain bread (first time!)
  • Organic Wheatberries (first time!)
  • TLC Crackers in Ranch (my favourite kind of TLC crackers ever)
  • Health Valley Organic Spelt Flakes x 2

IMG_1579

Vitamins,powders, oils, and fun stuff:

IMG_1580

• Organic non-hydrogenated Coconut oil
  • Hemp + E3 Live (same stuff I did a shot of yesterday at Live) + Maca smoothie powder (!!!!)
  • Earth Balance Shortening
  • Vegn Chocolate smoothie powder
  • Earth Balance margarine spread
  • Raw cacao nibs

IMG_1581 IMG_1582

Happy Planet Shots GLOW POTION!!!!!!

Do you think they will do a giveaway on OSG?? :)

IMG_1583

Dr Vie Chocos (first time!)

IMG_1584

Cacao, pumpkin, sunflower seeds, flax, acai, etc. I am so making these if they turn out yummy!!

IMG_1585

I also got Liquid Kyolic Garlic to put in my green monsters! Garlic is so super healthy. I used to take it everyday but got out of the habit.

IMG_1588

IMG_1593

TEA TIME:

IMG_1589

When I got home, I inhaled about 2 servings of Kashi crackers and I made a Pukka DETOX tea. It was SO GOOD! Sometimes those detox teas can be nasty, but this rocked my socks.

IMG_1590 IMG_1591 IMG_1592

I’m super excited to try the Dr. Stewarts SKIN PURIFY! It will be great for project GLOW.

IMG_1594

Whole Foods was everything I expected and more:

• Awesome selection + variety
  • Super expensive

Because it was so pricey, I don’t think I will be going there often, but it will be fun for a treat every now and then! :) Many of the products that I can buy at Loblaws were at least $1 more at WF!

An added bonus that I didn’t expect was the amazing customer service! There were people all over the store to help! I love that. :)

Stay tuned tomorrow and this week for ton’s of new first time food experiments and green monsters! It should be interesting :)

Also, regarding the Shop 4 A Cause that I had originally scheduled for Tuesday- I have to post pone it for a week or two (I am working with the organizer of the race I want to run in June and she is trying to put Shop 4 A Cause in their flyer that goes out to 10,000 runners!) I will keep updating as I know more. Thank you for your patience!!!

My night tonight is going to be OSG stuff– I have lots of exciting things coming up and some possible partnerships coming into fruition. Eric and I are also going to have a late dinner (he’s doing yardwork right now). I am hoping to centre the dinner around that lovely Multigrain loaf we bought at WF. :)

Have a lovely evening!! For those of you who are Canadian as well- enjoy an extra day off tomorrow!

Angela_Signature

cm May 17, 2009 at 8:03 pm

is that the one in Oakville? I love the tea section!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2009 at 8:05 pm

yes it is!

ari May 17, 2009 at 8:14 pm

mmmmm whole foods. i could live there, it’s probably my favorite place to be in the entire world.
and beets are amazing! sooo good! i don’t really know how to make them lol but i think how my mom does it is she peels them then boils them. i think. but once they are made they are delicious. the perfect amount of sweetness. i love them with in a salad with goat cheese, honey, and balsamic vinegar. yum!

Jen May 17, 2009 at 8:17 pm

Ahahaha, bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica!! You bought an AWESOME haul of stuff! And I love how excited you were. You are too cute, Angela! Haha.

Amy May 17, 2009 at 8:20 pm

So glad you got to experience the AMAZINGNESS of Whole Foods. i was just busy restraining myself…I mean shopping there this morning. You’re too funny!

As for beets, I roast them and then just slide the skins off. Much easier…I just did a post on them the other day that might help.

*Andrea* May 17, 2009 at 8:24 pm

i love your black jacket! very trendy :) whole foods is amazing.. i get only things there that i can’t find at my regular food store.. otherwise i would seriously spend my Whole Paycheck there ;)

Jenny May 17, 2009 at 8:33 pm

looks like you went to town girl! can’t wait to see all the yummy things you create with your new products!

janetha May 17, 2009 at 8:37 pm

i loved every bit of this post. it is so rad how excited you were the whole time! i love whole foods, i love grocery shopping in general, but i can’t imagine to never have been to one. but that is how i get when i am out of town and go to a trader joe’s so i know the feeling. looks like you got some serious goods!

Jocelyn May 17, 2009 at 8:43 pm

My head just about exploded looking at all your delighful things you bought… I realllllllllllllly need to suck it up and make the trip to mississauga whole foods..
that caramel tea looks divine..

ENJOY EVERYTHING! and enjoy Monday off woo hoo!!!

Eliza May 17, 2009 at 8:45 pm

Try steaming the artichoke and then pulling the leaves off and dipping them in some olive oil with garlic and lemon juice. I just keep pulling leaves, biting on the ends and pulling them out between my teeth to get the “meat.” Then, once you finish all the leaves (the ones on the bottom/outside are more bitter, some people don’t eat them) you scrape the hairy stuff off and you can eat the heart (the best part).

For beets: peel them, slice, and roast them (they take a long time) with some olive oil, garlic, sea salt for some tasty beet “chips.” or, trim the ends and then boil them in their skin. once they are tender you can rinse them under cold water and the skins will come right off. I’m not sure if you eat goat cheese or not, but I have the most amazing recipe for whole wheat pasta (I use penne) with wilted beet greens (or whatever, I’ve used both kale and spinach), boiled and quartered beets, and goat cheese. warm up the goat cheese a little, mix it all together…its so good.

Be warned: eating a lot of beets sometimes make your pee (..etc….) pink. The first time I made my partner that pasta dish he came out of the bathroom and said “well, either I need to go to the hospital or I just ate a lot of beets.”

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2009 at 8:47 pm

haha I’m glad you all share my delight!!! Eric thinks I’m a nutcase! ;) Yes Ive heard it called Whole Paycheck before too! So true! I don’t think we will be going grocery shopping for 2 weeks!!!!
I cant wait to try Trader Joes next time I am in the US!

MaryBe May 17, 2009 at 8:49 pm

Love the ‘Glow Potion’ ha! I just love how excited you are!
And that is great news about S4AC, hope that works out!

Karen May 17, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Good stuff Angela!

As an avid juicer of greens, I wanted to warn you about the dandelion greens…LESS IS MORE!! lol!

They are really great, and really powerful. I got all excited to use them, cut a handful from the bunch, and couldn’t drink my juice! (which had other things in it that I normally use like green apple, kale, spinach, cucumber, celery, etc…) It gave me an upset stomach! My body actually wouldn’t let me drink any more!

So for sure use them, just start slow!

Help Meghan Run May 17, 2009 at 8:56 pm

So glad you got to experience a Whole Foods! And I love all the smiley faces and exclamation points in this post. :) Enjoy all your new food, I can’t wait to see what you do with it!!

www. HelpMeghanRun .com

Menden (Skinny Menny) May 17, 2009 at 8:57 pm

Aww, you are so cute! I loved the recap of your WF experience…sounds like a great visit! I’m actually slightly intimidated by our local Whole Foods – way too crowded. Can’t wait to see what you come up with for all your new ingredients!

Kori (All Things B.) May 17, 2009 at 8:58 pm

I’m so jealous of your Chai Vert Yogi tea! I’ve never seen that blend before! What do you use the coconut oil for?

Nicole May 17, 2009 at 8:59 pm

I absolutely love your site!! I feel the same enthusiasm regarding the same things, it is hilarious. I think you’re gorgeous and I loved your wedding pics too.

Shelby May 17, 2009 at 9:06 pm

LOVE WHOLE FOODS! I’m so glad you got to experience it =P

Krista May 17, 2009 at 9:07 pm

So glad you enjoyed WF!!! I’ve been there 3 times and LOVE it! I forgot about all the Stash tea they have there. I’ve tried a Pukka tea before, but not the one you bought. I love how they stock their fruits and veggies, too!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2009 at 9:08 pm

Thank you ladies!!!! :) Thank you for all your comments and wonderful suggestions!

Just a quick question- do I HAVE to cook the beets before I blend them in a green monster??

Danielle May 17, 2009 at 9:12 pm

Aw, so glad you got to have the Whole Foods experience! It’s really a wonderful place :)

Maggie May 17, 2009 at 9:13 pm

Wow, you made out like a bandit! (haha, I love that saying)

No idea about cooking the beets before a green monster… but I do have an awesome beet recipe on my “recipes” page! It’s called “Golden Beets & Wheat Berries” but you could definitely use the red beets too. It’s macrobiotic even :)

I don’t think you need to peel them. I never do. My grammie makes pickled beets (really yum too) and I think she does peel them. So it’s probably just a matter of personal preference. I don’t peel anything (squash, kiwi, etc).

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2009 at 9:19 pm

AHHH look what I found…a GREEN SMOOTHIE BLOG!

Meg May 17, 2009 at 9:24 pm

Ahhh Whole Foods is paradise, isn’t it?! EVERYONE needs to experience this at least five times in their life ;) maybe ten…okay, twenty.

I’m glad you found some goodies – can’t wait to see what you fix up :)

Love,
Meg

Jen May 17, 2009 at 9:35 pm

Exciting! The wall of Stash tea has me drooling…was that the store in Oakville? If so, I think I shall have to make the husband stop in next time he’s out that way – I’ve been in love with Stash green & black tea since I first tried it, but I can never find it anywhere in Hamilton/area. Glad you had such a fun shopping trip!

melissa May 17, 2009 at 9:37 pm

glad you had fun. I have to say whole foods does have great service. There is a WF and a Trader Joe’s on the same street, but unfortunately, despite the amazing products and prices at TJs, the line wraps around the store, blocks the aisles and takes forever, so I usually end up at WF, expensive, but oh so efficent!

Meredith (Pursuing Balance) May 17, 2009 at 9:39 pm

Whole Foods: the foodie’s Disney World!

Yasmin May 17, 2009 at 9:44 pm

So glad you had fun at my favorite store! Now you see why I spend at least half my paycheck there every time I go. I’ve been dying to find a Trader Joes that I always read about but sadly none are in Texas. I would be screaming just like you!

Julie May 17, 2009 at 10:10 pm

haha SO glad you got to a Whole Foods! I felt the same way when I first got to a Wegmans (which is a bigger better cooler WF…if you can imagine that haha)

Michelle Gay May 17, 2009 at 10:15 pm

Australia LOVES beets. Here’s some ways that I’ve cooked them.
1. Steam them in a vegtable steams..which means you have to peel them. Weat latex gloves if you don’t want purple hands.
2. Peel and cut up into wedges and/or slices. Roast in a high oven for about 1 hour tossed with olive oil and salt/pepper. Eat hot or let them cool down and put into a salad or in a sandwhich. You’ll find beets in sandwhiches and burgers everywhere here.
3. wrap in aluminum foil and roast. After roasting peel.

I love beets. You can also grate them, after peeling them, and add to salads like carrots..or make them the main base.

Happy beeting.

rhodeygirl May 17, 2009 at 10:39 pm

happy birthday!

what a fun trip to whole foods. i routinely get lost there. next time you go be on the lookout for their lavender body gel!! amazinggggggggggggg i don’t remember the name of the company but i’ll look for it!

Christina May 17, 2009 at 10:41 pm

hahaha you are too funny at Whole Foods. I used to live 5 minutes away from one and now I’m 45 min away so I’d probably get just as excited!

I tried beets in my green monster here:

It was so good! Can’t wait to see what you think.

Ruth (Plentiful Plants) May 17, 2009 at 11:15 pm

I bought beets today too (and have been eating them, if you’d like to see…)!

And that photo of the tea wall made my jaw drop…and I’ve been to the Whole Foods downtown. I think the difference is that each flavour only gets one slot downtown instead of three…

Sheri May 17, 2009 at 11:25 pm

Holy wall of tea!! I just love Whole Foods the place rocks! I so wish we had them in Alberta! The last time I was at a Whole Foods was when we went to South Carolina last year! The Dr. Vie bars are the BOMB! I have tried them and they are so delish! I am going to Vancouver in October and plan on hitting the Whole Foods when I am there…my poor husband! ;)

Bec May 17, 2009 at 11:40 pm

so jealous I want my first whole foods trip!

Lindsay May 17, 2009 at 11:40 pm

My husband is in the food industry. You would be surprised on the markup on their products, just can’t share here. But Whole Foods is a real blast, I enjoy it everytime I go!

Jessica May 18, 2009 at 12:36 am

Isn’t Whole Foods amazing?? I try to go there as much as possible when I’m home from college, but it’s definitely a bit pricey!! You stocked up on such good stuff, I’d love to try those ranch kashi crackers or that caramel tea…I’ve never seen them before!!

Enjoy the new stuff Angela! :)

Milca May 18, 2009 at 12:41 am

I love how little things make you so happy. Eric should be so appreciative!! I’m glad you had such a great birthday.

TanyaS May 18, 2009 at 1:05 am

I wrap my beets whole in tin foil and roast them at 400 for about 45 minutes. The skin slides off easily and you are less likely to stain your finger. Plus it makes them super sweet.

Maja May 18, 2009 at 1:16 am

Hey Ange
I follow your blog everyday and I enjoy it very much :-) I have a foodblog in danish. And the pukka-detox is also one of my favorite teas – actually – all of the PUKKA teas are great. My favorite is GREEN SPICED CHAI – with a splash of soymilk :-)
Anyways; just wanted to let you know, that I really like your blog and getting the chance to follow your healthy lifestyle.
BTW; here in Denmark, if you wonna buy wholefoods, you have to go to these little tiny healthfoodstores, where the price is VERY high… I still do it ofcourse, but it would be cool to be able to shop at a place like wholefood! We do have organic food in our regular supermarkets, but its a bit limitid and only the most popular or so…ofcourse; no lärabar or other nice stuff like that :-) (but I make my own lärabar, and its much cheaper – but ofcourse you already know this :-)
Take care.
Love Maja from Denmark

Sarah (lovINmytummy) May 18, 2009 at 2:00 am

I am absolutely THAT excited every time I go to WF. I’m so glad you enjoyed it! I am pretty stoked to see these GMs you are going to make this week…

Leah @ Simply Fabulous Now May 18, 2009 at 2:28 am

Looks awesome!! I love their selection of teas! Holy moly!
The products you got look so neat as well!

Lara (Thinspired) May 18, 2009 at 3:20 am

Going to WF is totally and EVENT for me too! I love Dr Stuarts and drink their Detox tea every night. I also have the Skin Purify and I like the way that one tastes :)
So glad you had a great time there! You got so many goodies! I’m really interested in the Glow product…

Emily May 18, 2009 at 6:39 am

Hello again,
Looks like a great trip! When we move back to London we’ll get to be near a Whole Foods – people have actually laughed at me for this being on my list of London pro’s! We went to one when we were last in California and I loved it too. You got some great and tasty things! And you have got me super excited about my next visit in a few months :)
With beets, I juice them. I started with a Natalia Rose mix of beets, carrots, ginger and cucumber. Really good.
Enjoy,
Emily.

Heather May 18, 2009 at 7:29 am

Hooray for Whole Foods! I’m totally jealous… I don’t have one ANYWHERE near me! But WOW you definitely got some amazing goodies. Can’t wait to see how you use them all up! :D

Carolyn May 18, 2009 at 7:44 am

Add the tubs of Dr. Kracker little square crackers to your list… They are available packaged two different ways… I am talking about the ones in the big clamshell for regular price $5.99 (Michigan price)…BUT, they go two for one on sale… Yum yum… Eric will love them too.. Lots of flavors… You can also go to the company web site, find your store and download a sale flier and lots of information about YOUR store… I was told by employees that saturday/sunday morning is the best time to go, before noon… tons of food samples less people (mine is in a college town… i am assuming they mean because they are hungover… :-\ ..I love WF’s!

Angie May 18, 2009 at 7:59 am

Looks like a great trip! It is fun to be so excited about foods! I did the same on my first trip to Trader Joe’s a couple of months ago! Love the veggies and can’t wait to hear about the GLOW POTION! We all want to glow!

Katharina May 18, 2009 at 10:02 am

When my dad juices them, he just leaves them raw. So I’m guessing… you don’t have to cook them :)

Barbara May 18, 2009 at 10:09 am

Hey Angela~

I LOVE reading your blog:) We have the flagship Whole foods store here in Downtown Austin, TX…I swear people fly to Austin JUST to visit the store. I’m in awe and i live here:)

Enjoy your WF bounty and that reminds me…time to buy more tea!

Barbara

Clare May 18, 2009 at 10:42 am

Hi Angela!

Glad you enjoyed Whole foods….I’m like kid in a candy store there, too :)

You don’t have to cook beets before adding them to you GM…I’ve tried it before and it’s quite tasty!! Just make sure you cut them into small enough pieces b/c when they’re not cooked, they’re pretty hard, and it’ll be easier on your blender if you chop them up a bit. Oh, and don’t be surprised if your green monster turns out to be a bit of a purpleish-reddish monster!

Hope you enjoy!

Red Head, Yellow Dog May 18, 2009 at 10:44 am

haha so glad you had fun at whole foods! I love that place! whenever we go, I run around looking at all the food and james talks to the “experts” in the vitamin section.

beets are so easy! I’m sure you can find some detailed instructions but you just boil them and the peel comes off pretty easily when they’re done! with a little salt and pepper on them..they’re delicious! hot or cold!

Chloe May 18, 2009 at 11:28 am

I first picked up Dr. Stuart’s in the UK, but a few years back they started supplying to the US- love it!

Julie May 18, 2009 at 11:30 am

You should try and peel the beets, cut them the size of fries and pop them in the oven with some EVOO and a bit of salt and pepper. Around 200 degree celcius for about 30 minutes and they will be done – and soooooo good. Try adding sweet potatoes.

Marina May 18, 2009 at 12:20 pm

Whole Foods is so much fun! I could spend hours there just looking around :)

theoddbod May 18, 2009 at 2:14 pm

i have a feeling they won’t be coming to Winnipeg anytime soon… sigh,haha.

Natalie M. May 18, 2009 at 4:43 pm

LOL I honestly laughed out loud reading this post. I remember the first time I stepped into a whole foods… it was amazing but of course they’re all over NYC now. I became lustful over Trader Joes for awhile but now I just prefer local mom and pop health food stores… saves on costs but I do occasionally visit Whole Foods for their 365 brand. You won’t notice the difference with the purple kale in your “green monsters” it will just change the color slightly but not the taste. Also, you don’t have to peel beets LOL its totally optional. Beets used to be the vegetable I hated the most but now I love them… golden beets are pretty tasty too. I’m not sure if you’ve ever tried Living Harvest Hemp Protein.. the vanilla flavor is delish!

Kath May 18, 2009 at 9:42 pm

You are like me! We don’t have a WF either and I haven’t gotten to spend more than 20 minutes in one – and I’m never near a fridge to buy stuff!

Shelly May 19, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Beets are delicious. Roast them then peel them (you can find a basic recipe online for this).
They are wonderful with goat cheese (provided you eat goat cheese, of course) and a little balsamic vinaigrette and I also love them in a spinach salad with goat cheese, and walnuts, pumpkin seeds, or sunflower seeds. I also like to cut them up and add them to risotto, along with their greens- just wilt the greens in a little bit of cooking spray first. I also had an amazing dish once where beets were paired with a rare tuna steak and thai spices like mint and basil.

Evey May 20, 2009 at 4:23 am

My first time in Whole Foods, I was just like you, a kid in a candy store. The best way I know to make beets is to throw them in a pressure cooker with water. It really helps bring out the flavor of them, so that they are not so bitter.

Vegan Radhika SArohia January 12, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Haha yea, if you’re vegan then Whole Foods and Trader Joe are the bomb, you can find stuff there which is not available anywhere else. I spend hours each week in both places picking up all kinds of random ingredients for my vegan recipes
There’s this herbal tea called Bengal Spice that I get from Whole Foods, it’s got kind of an Indian spice flavor and has a huge tiger on the box, it’s my favourite tea :D

Vegan Radhika SArohia January 12, 2013 at 9:25 pm

(I’m from India, so I’m partial to Indian spices, meant to add)