Now I Am Whole

IMG_1555

It was as if everything in my life up to this point was somehow meaningless when we drove up to Whole Foods!!!!!!!!!

I was screaming at Eric, “WE’RE HERE!!!!!!!!!! OMG that looks just like all the pictures that I’ve seen on blogs!!!” lol

We walked in the doors and I immediately saw all the samples everywhere! I tried everything from fresh bread to carrots and dip! My God I was in heaven!

And then, I turned the corner to see THIS WALL OF STASH TEA!!!!!

IMG_1557

I had to scrape my jaw off the floor. Eric found the whole situation amusing at first and then highly annoying by the time we were done. :)

IMG_1556

I must have spent at least 10 minutes just trying to decide on the teas I was going to buy!!!

I’m sure all the ‘regulars’ thought it was quite absurd that I was getting my picture next to TEA! hahaha.

To my delight, they had virtually every organic food product that I have ever heard of in the blog world!! Tofutti? Earth Balance Shortening?  Check! Check! Organic dandelion? Check! Organic wheatberries? Check Check Check!

I had to pull myself together a few times because I was acting like I was a customer in Supermarket Sweep! I kept thinking, “I don’t know when I will have the chance to come back here- I better stock up!!!” to which Eric replied, “Ange, we are only 30 mins away!” lol.

I was dancing. This was even more fun than my trip to Cayne’s yesterday!

Then Eric made the mistake of letting me loose in the vitamin section…I was in there for a good 20 minutes!

Eric goes, “It’s a good thing we got a MINI cart!” It was full to the brim. :)

And here is what I got!

The produce:

IMG_1573

• Organic PURPLE kale!!!! (PURPLE MONSTERS!!!! WHO KNEW???)
  • Organic Dandelion!!!!!!!!
  • Organic green kale (step aside!) ;)
  • My first ever artichoke purchase (I’d like to try making a dip!)
  • 4 tomatoes
  • 2 avocados
  • 4 pears
  • 4 oranges
  • Bears BEETS Battlestar galactica (After seeing Jenna try beets in her GM I knew I had to try it out!)
  • Cantaloupe
  • Organic Fuji apples
  • Red pepper

I’m either going to have some super GROSS GM’s this week, or super fantastic earth changing GM’s! lol

IMG_1574 IMG_1575

BEETS! Who buys beets??? Apparently me! I don’t even know what to do with them? I don’t peel them do I??? lol. I’m so lost.

IMG_1576 IMG_1577

The grains:

IMG_1586

• Wholegrain Ciabatta baguette (we sampled this and it was lovely)
  • Stonemill Sprouted grain bread (first time!)
  • Organic Wheatberries (first time!)
  • TLC Crackers in Ranch (my favourite kind of TLC crackers ever)
  • Health Valley Organic Spelt Flakes x 2

IMG_1579

Vitamins,powders, oils, and fun stuff:

IMG_1580

• Organic non-hydrogenated Coconut oil
  • Hemp + E3 Live (same stuff I did a shot of yesterday at Live) + Maca smoothie powder (!!!!)
  • Earth Balance Shortening
  • Vegn Chocolate smoothie powder
  • Earth Balance margarine spread
  • Raw cacao nibs

IMG_1581 IMG_1582

Happy Planet Shots GLOW POTION!!!!!!

Do you think they will do a giveaway on OSG?? :)

IMG_1583

Dr Vie Chocos (first time!)

IMG_1584

Cacao, pumpkin, sunflower seeds, flax, acai, etc. I am so making these if they turn out yummy!!

IMG_1585

I also got Liquid Kyolic Garlic to put in my green monsters! Garlic is so super healthy. I used to take it everyday but got out of the habit.

IMG_1588

IMG_1593

TEA TIME:

IMG_1589

When I got home, I inhaled about 2 servings of Kashi crackers and I made a Pukka DETOX tea. It was SO GOOD! Sometimes those detox teas can be nasty, but this rocked my socks.

IMG_1590 IMG_1591 IMG_1592

I’m super excited to try the Dr. Stewarts SKIN PURIFY! It will be great for project GLOW.

IMG_1594

Whole Foods was everything I expected and more:

• Awesome selection + variety
  • Super expensive

Because it was so pricey, I don’t think I will be going there often, but it will be fun for a treat every now and then! :) Many of the products that I can buy at Loblaws were at least $1 more at WF!

An added bonus that I didn’t expect was the amazing customer service! There were people all over the store to help! I love that. :)

Stay tuned tomorrow and this week for ton’s of new first time food experiments and green monsters! It should be interesting :)

Also, regarding the Shop 4 A Cause that I had originally scheduled for Tuesday- I have to post pone it for a week or two (I am working with the organizer of the race I want to run in June and she is trying to put Shop 4 A Cause in their flyer that goes out to 10,000 runners!) I will keep updating as I know more. Thank you for your patience!!!

My night tonight is going to be OSG stuff– I have lots of exciting things coming up and some possible partnerships coming into fruition. Eric and I are also going to have a late dinner (he’s doing yardwork right now). I am hoping to centre the dinner around that lovely Multigrain loaf we bought at WF. :)

Have a lovely evening!! For those of you who are Canadian as well- enjoy an extra day off tomorrow!

Angela_Signature

Page 2 of 2«12
Vegan Radhika SArohia January 12, 2013

(I’m from India, so I’m partial to Indian spices, meant to add)

Vegan Radhika SArohia January 12, 2013

Haha yea, if you’re vegan then Whole Foods and Trader Joe are the bomb, you can find stuff there which is not available anywhere else. I spend hours each week in both places picking up all kinds of random ingredients for my vegan recipes
There’s this herbal tea called Bengal Spice that I get from Whole Foods, it’s got kind of an Indian spice flavor and has a huge tiger on the box, it’s my favourite tea :D

Evey May 20, 2009

My first time in Whole Foods, I was just like you, a kid in a candy store. The best way I know to make beets is to throw them in a pressure cooker with water. It really helps bring out the flavor of them, so that they are not so bitter.

Shelly May 19, 2009

Beets are delicious. Roast them then peel them (you can find a basic recipe online for this).
They are wonderful with goat cheese (provided you eat goat cheese, of course) and a little balsamic vinaigrette and I also love them in a spinach salad with goat cheese, and walnuts, pumpkin seeds, or sunflower seeds. I also like to cut them up and add them to risotto, along with their greens- just wilt the greens in a little bit of cooking spray first. I also had an amazing dish once where beets were paired with a rare tuna steak and thai spices like mint and basil.

Kath May 18, 2009

You are like me! We don’t have a WF either and I haven’t gotten to spend more than 20 minutes in one – and I’m never near a fridge to buy stuff!

Natalie M. May 18, 2009

LOL I honestly laughed out loud reading this post. I remember the first time I stepped into a whole foods… it was amazing but of course they’re all over NYC now. I became lustful over Trader Joes for awhile but now I just prefer local mom and pop health food stores… saves on costs but I do occasionally visit Whole Foods for their 365 brand. You won’t notice the difference with the purple kale in your “green monsters” it will just change the color slightly but not the taste. Also, you don’t have to peel beets LOL its totally optional. Beets used to be the vegetable I hated the most but now I love them… golden beets are pretty tasty too. I’m not sure if you’ve ever tried Living Harvest Hemp Protein.. the vanilla flavor is delish!

theoddbod May 18, 2009

i have a feeling they won’t be coming to Winnipeg anytime soon… sigh,haha.

Marina May 18, 2009

Whole Foods is so much fun! I could spend hours there just looking around :)

Julie May 18, 2009

You should try and peel the beets, cut them the size of fries and pop them in the oven with some EVOO and a bit of salt and pepper. Around 200 degree celcius for about 30 minutes and they will be done – and soooooo good. Try adding sweet potatoes.

Chloe May 18, 2009

I first picked up Dr. Stuart’s in the UK, but a few years back they started supplying to the US- love it!

Red Head, Yellow Dog May 18, 2009

haha so glad you had fun at whole foods! I love that place! whenever we go, I run around looking at all the food and james talks to the “experts” in the vitamin section.

beets are so easy! I’m sure you can find some detailed instructions but you just boil them and the peel comes off pretty easily when they’re done! with a little salt and pepper on them..they’re delicious! hot or cold!

Clare May 18, 2009

Hi Angela!

Glad you enjoyed Whole foods….I’m like kid in a candy store there, too :)

You don’t have to cook beets before adding them to you GM…I’ve tried it before and it’s quite tasty!! Just make sure you cut them into small enough pieces b/c when they’re not cooked, they’re pretty hard, and it’ll be easier on your blender if you chop them up a bit. Oh, and don’t be surprised if your green monster turns out to be a bit of a purpleish-reddish monster!

Hope you enjoy!

Barbara May 18, 2009

Hey Angela~

I LOVE reading your blog:) We have the flagship Whole foods store here in Downtown Austin, TX…I swear people fly to Austin JUST to visit the store. I’m in awe and i live here:)

Enjoy your WF bounty and that reminds me…time to buy more tea!

Barbara

Katharina May 18, 2009

When my dad juices them, he just leaves them raw. So I’m guessing… you don’t have to cook them :)

Angie May 18, 2009

Looks like a great trip! It is fun to be so excited about foods! I did the same on my first trip to Trader Joe’s a couple of months ago! Love the veggies and can’t wait to hear about the GLOW POTION! We all want to glow!

Carolyn May 18, 2009

Add the tubs of Dr. Kracker little square crackers to your list… They are available packaged two different ways… I am talking about the ones in the big clamshell for regular price $5.99 (Michigan price)…BUT, they go two for one on sale… Yum yum… Eric will love them too.. Lots of flavors… You can also go to the company web site, find your store and download a sale flier and lots of information about YOUR store… I was told by employees that saturday/sunday morning is the best time to go, before noon… tons of food samples less people (mine is in a college town… i am assuming they mean because they are hungover… :-\ ..I love WF’s!

Heather May 18, 2009

Hooray for Whole Foods! I’m totally jealous… I don’t have one ANYWHERE near me! But WOW you definitely got some amazing goodies. Can’t wait to see how you use them all up! :D

Emily May 18, 2009

Hello again,
Looks like a great trip! When we move back to London we’ll get to be near a Whole Foods – people have actually laughed at me for this being on my list of London pro’s! We went to one when we were last in California and I loved it too. You got some great and tasty things! And you have got me super excited about my next visit in a few months :)
With beets, I juice them. I started with a Natalia Rose mix of beets, carrots, ginger and cucumber. Really good.
Enjoy,
Emily.

Lara (Thinspired) May 18, 2009

Going to WF is totally and EVENT for me too! I love Dr Stuarts and drink their Detox tea every night. I also have the Skin Purify and I like the way that one tastes :)
So glad you had a great time there! You got so many goodies! I’m really interested in the Glow product…

Leah @ Simply Fabulous Now May 18, 2009

Looks awesome!! I love their selection of teas! Holy moly!
The products you got look so neat as well!

Sarah (lovINmytummy) May 18, 2009

I am absolutely THAT excited every time I go to WF. I’m so glad you enjoyed it! I am pretty stoked to see these GMs you are going to make this week…