Getting The Kitchen N.E.A.T.

img 9859 thumb   Getting The Kitchen N.E.A.T.

This morning as I was enjoying my green monster, I decided that today would be the perfect day to start organizing the kitchen.

I had already decided to take the day off exercise, so I thought I could dive right into the organizing! I was in a Spring Cleaning sort of mood.

But first my delicious green monster needs a bit more recognition in my new Dollarstore martini glass!

img 9857 thumb   Getting The Kitchen N.E.A.T.

The contents:

• 1/2 ripe banana
  • 1 cup Original Almond Breeze
  • 1 T flax
  • 3 cup kale
  • 1 organic Peppermint tea bag

It was pure heaven!

img 9856 thumb   Getting The Kitchen N.E.A.T.

After my green monster I got right into it! I decided to start with emptying out the cupboard that Eric and I were going to install a new organizer into. In this cupboard we had basically no shelves so it was a complete and utter disaster as you can see in the picture below.

fixups thumb9   Getting The Kitchen N.E.A.T.

img 9860 thumb   Getting The Kitchen N.E.A.T.

Yikes!

We decided to turn this cupboard into my bakery cupboard and then move all the cleaning agents into the laundry room to create more storage space in the kitchen.

So I took out everything and then unscrewed the shelves:

img 9865 thumb   Getting The Kitchen N.E.A.T.

Then I disinfected the entire cupboard and wiped it down. It was now ready for the installation!

img 9871 thumb   Getting The Kitchen N.E.A.T.

img 9872 thumb   Getting The Kitchen N.E.A.T.

Eric worked his magic:

img 9870 thumb   Getting The Kitchen N.E.A.T. TA-DA!!!!!

img 9879 thumb   Getting The Kitchen N.E.A.T.

Now I just need to buy my canisters this week and then get all my goods stored in here. I feel better already!

It pulls out for easy access. We purchased this at Lee Valley:

img 9880 thumb   Getting The Kitchen N.E.A.T.

Around 11am, I had a bowl of Nature’s Path Synergy cereal with Almond Breeze in my new Dollarstore bowl:

img 9867 thumb   Getting The Kitchen N.E.A.T.

And then I was ready to tackle another cupboard!

I admit, this is quite the shameful cupboard. Hi, my name is Angela, and I am a super disorganized tupperware lover.

Before:

img 9873 thumb   Getting The Kitchen N.E.A.T.

And after:

img 9874 thumb   Getting The Kitchen N.E.A.T.

Doesn’t that just feel oh so good to look at?  :) It makes me giddy inside.

I snapped all the lids on their proper container and then put the small Tupperware containers into the big plastic box (top left).

Eric also screwed some drain holes in my new Dollarstore pots:

img 9868 thumb   Getting The Kitchen N.E.A.T.

I realized that I forgot to buy plates to go underneath them to catch the water, so I decided to use some candle holders. Not too shabby!

img 9869 thumb   Getting The Kitchen N.E.A.T.

I will be planting some herbs in these tomorrow. :)

freeforall thumb1   Getting The Kitchen N.E.A.T.

What I’m reading:

1) My mini fondant cupcakes made the cut for ‘Cute Food Saturdays’ over at What’s For Dinner!

2) Is eating local always ethical?

I am off to put together a mailing list for those of you who have contacted me about Shop 4 A Cause! I can’t wait to get this underway. :)

After that, I am going to do some core work and then work on my interview for Glo Bakery and finish the price list.

Coming up on Oh She Glows:

• Running and bloggers. Are we running ourselves into the ground?
  • Angela attempts her first week at meal planning!

angela signature thumb69   Getting The Kitchen N.E.A.T.

Have a lovely Sunday. See you tonight!

“I applaud any effort people make to avoid supporting factory farms. It’s imperative that we reduce the suffering of animals raised for food. But we can’t ignore the thorny issue that factory farms aren’t just “out there” in a faraway land. All factory farms are local to somewhere.”

~Paul Shapiro

Valerie April 26, 2009

My tupperware cupboard looks like your before picture! It’s so hard to find things – I really should organize it.

Nice shelving thing for the cupboard. Is that Lee Valley as in the gardening place? If it is, I had no idea they had stuff like that!

Brooke@ http://runreadeat.wordpress.com/ April 26, 2009

That is one of the most satisfying feelings…working on and completing a clean up project.
I am so curious what your post on running and blogging is going to be about :)

haya (living and learning) April 26, 2009

my tupperware closet looks like that too!! i really need to do something about it.

(aren’t handy men awesome to have around? i am complete inept with a drill, so i don’t know what i’d do if i didn’t have a boyfriend who can do everything plus build stuff from scratch)

polly April 26, 2009

aaaah I love it! I want my tupperwares a little more… um… just organized so they don’t fall on my head when I open that cupboard? ;)

I love you to bits and will send you my stuff for the sale soon! You are so lovely, big hugs my friend.

I need another GREEN monster!!

XOXO

Alisa - Frugal Foodie April 26, 2009

I am in the midst of cleaning / re-orging the kitchen but needed a break. It must be spring in the air!

Run sarah April 26, 2009

Wow! Everything looks so neat and organized! I like what you did with your Tupperware, my cupboard is a mess and needs sorting.

Heather April 26, 2009

I definitely agree that I get a good feeling from getting things done and organized. I love the new cupboard for cooking supplies! That’s such a great idea!

Those pots look adorable! I actually love the candle-holders under them. What types of herbs will you be planting?

Wiggs (The Beholder) April 26, 2009

I did the EXACT SAME THING as you this morning – it’s uncanny how alike our Tupperware cabinets look. :) Sadly, I won’t get to enjoy the fruits of my labor because I’m doing the cleaning for the renters who will be living here this summer. Sniffle.

FoodsThatFit April 26, 2009

We must be sisters b/c I am totally with you on feeling so much better when things are organized. My hubby always laughs because I let you a hugh sigh when everything is clean and in place, and I have a huge smile on my face. Such simple pleasures in life :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 26, 2009

haha girls Im glad Im not alone!

I said to Eric today “I get endorphins from organization”

I got a puzzled look! haha

Leah @ Simply Fabulous Now April 26, 2009

haha my tupperware cupboard looks the exact same way!! Oh it’s shameful!!

I can’t wait to read your thoughts on running & blogging…
I just wrote to a blogger earlier today saying “I swear in every blog I read everyone keeps talking about how much they are running!!”

Guess i’ll have to read tomorrow morning since i’m off to bed now! Damn the time diff sometimes! hehe :) Have a good night.

Leanne April 26, 2009

Tupperware is SO hard to keep organized! It’s like putting a puzzle together lol… Love your new pots too. I’m really interested in having my own herb garden so I can’t wait to get some tips!

Susan April 26, 2009

I wish I liked organization as much as you! I’m sooo messy. I’m not sure if I’ll ever get better at it!

I’m also curious to hear your thoughts on running on blogging!

Bec April 26, 2009

I love getting stuff organized!

Kari @ http://tonic4thesoul.wordpress.com April 27, 2009

ahahaha I am unhealthily obsessed with liking my tupperware organised :P When I visit my parents, my mum sometimes bans me from opening her tupperware drawer…she knows I’ll be so unhappy with it I’ll have to organise it right there and then. lol.

The rest of my kitchen is more hit and miss though. And (reading your most recent post) I can’t meal plan to save my life. I hate it! I’m curious to see how you go this week :)

Liz & In The Skinny April 27, 2009

I love meal planning! It makes sure I use everything in the pantry and I end up spending less at the grocery store. I tried planning it out for a month a time and it worked well the first month. This month didn’t go so well, so I’m going to try to plan by the week.

Jo @ Seeking Healthy Balance April 27, 2009

How brave of you to show your cupboards – not sure I would dare! I love those new shelves, wish I had a tall cupboard to put them in!