Boredom Busters: OSG Health News Roundup

facts thumb4   Boredom Busters: OSG Health News Roundup

Wondering what is hot off the press in health news? I have hand picked the top health stories in the headlines and across the blog world right now! Just don’t forget to come back when you are done!

• Research finds that the timing of a women’s cycle may be related to knee injuries, with more injuries occurring during ovulation. Full story.
  • Not a fan of green monsters? Try these non-green smoothie recipes. Full Article.
  • The number of teens and young adults being diagnosed with cancer is on the rise. Full story.
  • Psychotherapists are incorporating yoga therapy into sessions? Yup, this is 2009. Full story.
  • Celebs are raving about the new Jukari Fit to fly workout. Read all about it here.
  • Schools and restaurants should be required to post calories on menus, say Ontario doctors. Full story.
  • Do compression pants and knee socks improve performance? Your answer here.
  • Do eggs increase bad cholesterol? The answer here.
  • Brown fat may be the key to burning more calories. Or you could try healthy eating and exercise. Full story.
  • Workout Dos and Don’ts by Shredder Jillian Michaels. Full article.
  • Chi Running- an effortless way to run? Full story.
  • The Boston Marathon results!

Have you recently come across some interesting health news? Tell us about it in the comments!

fitness thumb18   Boredom Busters: OSG Health News Roundup

img 9513 thumb   Boredom Busters: OSG Health News Roundup

Today was the first day testing out my new knee sleeves. I ended up exchanging the white ones I bought this weekend for these black ones made out of a stronger material called Neoprene.

My first thought when I put them on?

I felt weightless!

I honestly was not expecting to feel such a difference from wearing them. My second thought was ‘wow are these ever snug!’ I measured my knee so I know I am wearing the correct size, but I was not expecting them to be this tight.

Let me just say this- my butt is sore from mountain biking yesterday! I have always had this problem with bike seats. I even have one of those super cushy seats with tons of padding. I think I need to invest in some padded biking shorts!

Has anyone ever tried these or know any tricks for not getting sore when biking long distances?

Fast forward to my workout!

Exercise stats:

• Duration: 42:30 mins.
  • Walk/run intervals (Walk = 4.1 mph; Run = 4.9 mph), incline 7%. Run = 22 mins, Walk = 18 mins.
  • Max heart rate: 167 bpm
  • Avg heart rate: 144 bpm
  • Feel the burn: 385 kcals

My impression of the knee sleeves:

So my knees felt weightless. That was a huge plus. But I also found that they made the rest of my legs work much harder (hamstrings, quads, etc)!!! I was shocked at how tired my legs felt after just 5 minutes of running. I also noticed that my heart rate was a bit higher as I was working harder.

So this is what it feels like not to be putting all this work on the knees??

I honestly could barely run my normal distance without taking a break. Every 5 minutes I had to stop because my legs felt like jelly. I got off the treadmill and did 3 sets of pushups (15-20 reps). I also walked when my legs were tired.

Has anyone else every experienced this with knee sleeves? Is it normal? I think my other leg muscles will eventually adapt, but wow what a surprise! Here I was thinking my legs were quite strong. Little did I know my knees were doing the grunt work.

The good news?

My knees didn’t hurt during or after the run- yay!

Hope you are having a happy, fun, and healthy day. Let me know what health stories you enjoyed the most and I will be sure to feature more of those in my next health round up!

PS- Congrats to Bobbi from N Her Shoes for completing the Boston Marathon with an amazing time!!

angela signature thumb52   Boredom Busters: OSG Health News Roundup

True friendship is like sound health; the value of it is seldom known until it be lost.

Charles Caleb

Bec April 20, 2009

Thanks for the procrastination aids! As for the bike seat issue, definitely make sure you have a womans pacific seat and get some padded shorts.

Alina April 20, 2009

I know what you are talking about re: bike soreness. When I started taking spinning classes a few months ago, it was excrutiating the first couple of times – it felt like someone was kicking me in the crotch repeatedly and then hurt for about 48 hours. I only persevered because someone told me that it would mysteriously get better after a few classes. And it’s true – after 3-4 classes, I didn’t feel any more pain. The seat became oddly comfortable. So, my advice (based on the instructor’s advice and my experience) would be to forget the cushioned seat and tough it out for a couple more bike rides. You won’t feel a thing for the rest of the summer!

Cynthia (Healthy Hollywood) April 20, 2009

Thanks SO much for the great link! And yoga in therapy? LOVE that!!! It’s about time more people started incorporating mind / body treatments.

brandi April 20, 2009

i’ve never tried knee sleeves, but I will say the padded bike shorts help a LOT.

Jodi April 20, 2009

I have been wearing knee sleeves for 8+ years because my knees felt “loose/twingy”. They no longer feel this way but I still wear them more as a “preventative” thing.
On another note, I too have jumped onto the green smoothie bandwagon (and love them) but I call mine “Incredible Hulk” smoothies, because I feel so energized and strong after drinking one.
Anyway, love your blog and keep up the great work :D

ttfn300 April 20, 2009

the more you cycle, the less you will feel on the seat! When I take time off from cycling, the first 1-2x back always get me a little sore, but after that i’m good, the key is to keep it up (i try to go 2x/week).

i saw bobbi!!!

Leah @ Simply Fabulous Now April 20, 2009

I always have a sore butt after spin classes, which I assume would be just like biking… your sitting on your butt regardless. Not sure how to fix the problem… did you try standing up once in a while while you were biking?

Anne P April 20, 2009

Definitely invest in some padded biking shorts – majorly worth it!

MaryBe April 20, 2009

Thanks for the links and the knee sleeve review!

Pat Anderson April 20, 2009

Nice blog, great tips! Hope the knee sleeves help!

Run Sarah April 20, 2009

I have the same problem with bike seats – SO painful the next day!

Leana April 20, 2009

It takes a few times to get your saddle used to the saddle! Padded shorts definitely help a lot, although a super padded seat may not be the answer. I actually got fitted for my bike seat to make sure I got one that was the right width for my sitbones. Specialized makes them and your local bike shop should be able to fit you for it. I’d only go that route if the soreness doesn’t improve after a week or two though!

Help Meghan Run April 20, 2009

Thanks for the info on the knee sleeves, I never knew! Great articles.

Check out my blog as I run with Team in Training and raise money for blood cancers!
www. HelpMeghanRun .com

Fabulously Broke April 20, 2009

The harder the bike seats, the better it is for your back alignment.

I just started cycling last summer and BF took me out on a run of 20KM.. it was f*cking killer on my body and legs, but my crotch was fine, because he gave me a semi-pro kind of seat, very hard, slight padding

Oh and I wore biking shorts (The ones with the huge padded butt)? Those REALLY REALLY saved my ass. Literally.

You should look into it. I highly recommend them. And get the bib kind. They look nasty with the suspender straps and they cost around $100 CAD, but they are worth it because as you are bending over and biking, the heavy band will cut RIGHT INTO YOUR BELLY and make you feel ill.

I ended up buying 2 pairs of shorts because of that stupid mistake.

By the way, if you are looking for a budgeting spreadsheet, I’ve made a personal finance budgeting spreadsheet here! And it’s super pretty with colours and graphs. :)

In case you’re interested!

Fabulously Broke in the City
Just a girl trying to find a balance between being a Shopaholic and a Saver.

haya (living and learning) April 20, 2009

those super cushiony bike saddles are pretty gimmicky and do very little in terms of cushioning. you want to get a pair of really good shorts instead. look for padding that isn’t too squishy (the more it compresses, the less it will help your butt)
i rode really hard for over 2.5 hours yesterday and have no pain back there, so i can say that it really works!

ari April 20, 2009

i wear knee sleeves when i run (just on one knee) and i do feel like my legs work a lot harder! the first few times i used the sleeves my legs were SO sore, but as that stopped as they got stronger. so i’m pretty sure it’s normal. either that or we both have weird legs!

Amy April 20, 2009

I am a advocate of the padded shorts… not really for my ass persae, but more my crotch.

I spin 3-4 times a week, and while the butt soreness is gone, the crotch soreness NEVER goes away.

I recently did a 5 hour Spinathon, and those shorts saved my future children! ;)

Lindsay April 20, 2009

Hi Angela :) When bike race season starts up, I pull out my padded bike shorts asap :) My butt was sore when I first started biking a couple years ago but after faithfully taking spinning classes and/or biking at least 1-2 times a week, it doesn’t bother me anymore… but for distances over 30 miles, the padded bike shorts really do help as well as proper alignment on your bike (your local bike shop can make sure you’re adjusted right), and a great seat. The pain wears off after you get used to it ~ believe me :) Good luck!

bobbi April 21, 2009

Thanks for the sweet shout out girl!