Buys + Bites

favs thumb3   Buys + Bites

Yesterday I went a little crazy at the stores! But I think I got some wonderful buys. :)

First, we hit up Ikea. Eric is not an Ikea fan (he hates it) so we always by pass the upstairs furniture section and cut through the back. He says it is a scam that they make you walk through the upstairs and you feel trapped behind big crowds. I sort of agree. Actually, yesterday wasn’t busy for a Saturday at all! It was oddly empty. Recession? Beautiful weather? I sure picked a good day to go because it meant less complaints from the husband.

I present to you my Ikea buys:

A huge salad bowl (so I don’t have to eat my salad in tupperware anymore!)

img 9302 thumb   Buys + Bites

A really cute mini lantern:

img 9301 thumb   Buys + Bites

Eric hates this lantern, lol. What does he know? I am going to put a cute tea light in there and have it at the dinner table. :) Men!

Along with a large and small plate:

img 9300 thumb   Buys + Bites

Unfortunately I didn’t find any kitchen storage canisters. Well, we found some but they were too expensive ($9 each). I am going to try to find a Bakery Wholesaler today and see if they sell storage stuff on the cheap.

Then we hit up Fortinos where I searched for new flavours of Yogi tea. Bad news- they had the exact same flavours as Loblaws! I also checked a health store in the area and they didn’t have any new flavours either. I have been meaning to mention that I checked out this awesome tea site (http://www.4allvitamins.com/) that Tanya recommended to me. It is an awesome website with tons of great teas! I was about to buy a bunch of teas and then I went to check out and they wanted to charge me $20 for regular ground shipping- for tea! So I decided to look around my area for the teas, but so far no such luck. Does anyone know any other tea websites that ship to Canada and have lower shipping rates?

I ended up getting this Lemon Ginger flavour at Fortinos:

img 922a1 thumb   Buys + Bites

It is good although the licorice taste kind of put me off at the beginning. I got used to it though and quite enjoyed the tea!

Then I bought a new beauty buy! Maybelline Stiletto Lash Mascara (in very black).

I’m sure you have all seen the commcercial on TV lately. Who doesn’t want Stiletto lashes??? Stay tuned this afternoon for a beauty review!

img 9216 thumb   Buys + Bites

At Bulk Barn, I got some rolled fondant for an upcoming baking experiment (as well as the cup molds from last night’s baking experiment):

img 9303 thumb   Buys + Bites

Then I found some knee sleeves at Shoppers Drug Mart (they were cheaper than Running Room):

img 9313 thumb   Buys + Bites

I can’t wait to try these out!

We also went to Canadian Tire because Eric needed to look for a 3-way light switch. He didn’t find one but I sure found a couple of fun buys:

I got this awesome huge mug:

img 9310 thumb   Buys + Bites

That Eric accidently cracked on the tile floor putting the grocery bag down when we got home. It is cracked straight through. I almost shed a tear!! I LOVED this mug. :(

I also bought some Green Insect traps  and spray (shown below top middle). As soon as I got home I set up these traps all over the bathroom (that’s where we have a problem because they come in through the sunroof!). I also got a BBQ lighter for a buck.

All together:

img 9215 thumb   Buys + Bites

It was a very successful trip! Just too bad about that mug! Maybe I can use it as a planter?

food thumb24   Buys + Bites

Last night, I made Choco Peppy-Mint Bites with a twist.

Choco Peppy-Mint Cups!

img 9304 thumb   Buys + Bites img 9308 thumb   Buys + Bites img 9307 thumb   Buys + Bites img 9305 thumb   Buys + Bites

How cute are those?

The shell is made out of dark chocolate. I thought these would be a really fun dessert to feature on Glo Bakery. I can’t wait to try one!

One of my future baking attempts is going to be a healthier Peanut Butter Cup! Can it be done? I will soon find out!

I’m off to make some breakfast, Yogi tea, and work on some Glo Bakery stuff! I have some website updates to do and I want to work on that logo!

See you this afternoon for an update on my BBBC Progress and a Stiletto Mascara Review!

Enjoy a HEALTHY and ACTIVE Sunday!

angela signature thumb48   Buys + Bites

Today’s Yogi Quote:

img 9312 thumb   Buys + Bites

Run sarah April 19, 2009

Awesome fun buys! I bought new plates yesterday too.

Jenny April 19, 2009

Love the buys! So sorry about the mug, oh well, I guess you’ll just HAVE to make another trip ;)

Leah @ Simply Fabulous Now April 19, 2009

That is the pits about the mug… maybe he will surprise you after reading what you wrote about it and buy you a new one :)

Enjoy your day!

VeggieGirl April 19, 2009

MARVELOUS buys and MOUTHWATERING bites!! :-)

Michelle Hisae April 19, 2009

1. I love Ikea – such great deals!

2. Those MINT CUPS look AMAZING!! I want one! I want to try! :)

Maggie April 19, 2009

I LOVE Ikea!! I have one in my hometown and I miss it a lot!

And I never tried Yogi tea (though I heard many great things about it) but I am tempted to buy it just for the quote!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? April 19, 2009

Those bites look fantastic!! I love IKEA and really should go back to get some bowls…

gliding calm April 19, 2009

i need a big bowl like that so I can stop eating out of tupperware!! (or my mixng bowl!)

Ashley April 19, 2009

I got some great (and inexpensive) kitchen canisters at iQLiving in Toronto on the Danforth

I love your new dishes!!

Priyanka April 19, 2009

The chocolate mint cups are simply amazing! Great buys!

Valerie April 19, 2009

I love Ikea! I could easily spend so much money there. I swear I’m mentally redecorating the house as I walk through the showroom area!

I find kitchen canisters are pricey at a lot of places if they’re any good. Have you checked places like Zellers? They have lots of kitchen stuff on sale each week so it might be worth a look.

Georgia April 19, 2009

OK.. So now you have my attention.. First of all.. I LOVE large mugs and am ashamed at how much I loved Ikea in Europe.. I had one flat that was ENTIRELY Ikea.. and you know what??? It rocked.

Also, the peppy mint things are RIGHT DOWN my alley. and when you mentioned the PB cup muffin idea I almost passed out.. So you’re onto something right.

Georgia :-)

http://www.rebornrunner.wordpress.com (my more “fitness” accountability blog) ;)

Alisa - Frugal Foodie April 19, 2009

I was going to suggest Trader Joe’s for the Yogi tea, but didn’t realize you live in Canada. If you are in the states, check out TJ’s, they have the Yogi Ginger tea for just $2.29.

MaryBe April 19, 2009

I have never been to an Ikea! I think the closest one to me, is the one you go to.
You sure scored some great buys yesterday!

Ruth (Plentiful Plants) April 19, 2009

I love that stripy plate!

And which yogi tea flavours are you looking for? I’ll let you know if I see them downtown.

Milca April 19, 2009

That is hilarious about Eric. That is exactly how my husband feels about Ikea. He hates hates it so much, and says the same exact thing about it.

coco April 19, 2009

great purchases! I bought a salad bowl yesterday too, but not as big as yours! :)

Krista April 20, 2009

Great post! If you and Eric are anthing like me and my hub, he hated Ikea and you disliked Canadian Tire!!! ;)

Sally April 20, 2009

Vitacost.com has great prices on yogi tea and they ship to Canada but I’m not sure if international shipping is expensive… Might be worth checking out though.

Those glow bites in the chocolate shells look delicious!