Beans For Dinner, Beans for Dessert

food thumb16   Beans For Dinner, Beans for Dessert

We’re home after a long 3 hour drive! Actually the drive wasn’t too bad. We lucked out and got a traffic tip from my brother in law who left about a half hour before us. He warned us of an accident on the highway, so we simply re-routed and took the back roads for much of the drive. Thanks bro!

The good news? On the drive home I finished reading my Food Safety Course manual- all 100 pages of it! I am pretty pleased with that. Now I just need to go back and study all the pesky definitions and regulations (e.g., poultry should reach an internal temperature of 180F for 15 seconds before it is suitable to eat).

But back to our wonderful weekend getaway, shall we?

Lunch

Lunch was fresh and tasty:

Make your own sandwiches featuring my homemade flax and pumpkin seed bread!

img 8930 thumb   Beans For Dinner, Beans for Dessert

My plate:

Two slices of bread, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, mustard, black pepper and lots of great fruit!

img 8933 thumb   Beans For Dinner, Beans for Dessert

Look what the Easter Bunny brought!

img 8932 thumb   Beans For Dinner, Beans for Dessert

My dessert was a wonderful After Eight chocolate as well as a bite of my Beantween You and Me Brownie.

img 8934 thumb   Beans For Dinner, Beans for Dessert

After lunch we practiced a little more guitar (I looove it!) and then packed up the car. On the drive home I had a Goji Berry Stash tea in my travel mug and a Larabar.

We got home around 7:45pm, and I was still quite hungry. Before I had dinner I had a few bites of this Daryl’s All Natural Granola bar that Jessica gave me!

img 8938 thumb   Beans For Dinner, Beans for Dessert

It was so delicious! It had a really prominent peanut flavour too. I hadn’t had peanut butter in so long so this was a really nice surprise!

img 8935 thumb   Beans For Dinner, Beans for Dessert

It is filled with lots of healthy foods. It also packs a whopping 16 grams of protein (!!!!)

img 8937 thumb   Beans For Dinner, Beans for Dessert

I will have to keep my eyes peeled for these bars! I still have another Chocolate one to review. Thanks Jessica! :)

Dinner

I sorta ruined my appetite for dinner, so I just kept it light tonight!

I whipped up some Tipsy Whiskey Black Bean Burgers:

img 8944 thumb   Beans For Dinner, Beans for Dessert

I love these and they are SO easy.

Ingredients (makes 2 small burgers):

• 3/4-1 cup black beans (sorry didn’t measure!)
  • 1 T Tipsy Whiskey BBQ Sauce (any BBQ sauce will do)
  • 2 tsp whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 tsp minced garlic puree

With a romaine salad + tomato + Red pepper + Ground flax:

img 8940 thumb   Beans For Dinner, Beans for Dessert

Eric hates black beans but he really enjoyed these burgers! It’s all about the presentation, right? Many of my Glo Bakery goodies have veggies hiding in them!

img 8942 thumb   Beans For Dinner, Beans for Dessert img 8943 thumb   Beans For Dinner, Beans for Dessert

For dessert, I had a Beantween You and Me Brownie and a Martini (Sweet Wheat Sugar cookie)! I love leftovers, don’t you?

img 8953 thumb   Beans For Dinner, Beans for Dessert

Now I am quite stuffed and done for the Easter weekend!

I am quite happy with how the weekend went eating wise. I was able to indulge in the treats that I wanted, while not going overboard. I think this weekend was a good example of moderation! It doesn’t always turn out that way for me so I guess I am making progress. :)

One thing I am really craving is a Green Monster tomorrow! Today was my first day without one in over 1-2 months or more???

How was your Easter food-wise? Were you able to strike a balance with healthy foods and indulgences?

angela signature thumb30   Beans For Dinner, Beans for Dessert

I’m off to play more gee-tar! :D

Milca April 12, 2009

It looks like you had such a nice weekend. I also enjoyed myself, though I wish I could say I ate as well as you!!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? April 12, 2009

Great weekend!!
I enjoyed myself, but looking back on my eats, even though I THOUGHT I overindulged, I really ate mostly vegetables!

Jenny April 12, 2009

Great weekend! I’m so happy you feel strong, confident and overall great about everything Angela, I mean, you SHOULD!! :)

I feel like I enjoyed myself too, definitely tried to do what I wanted to most of the time, rather than following some stupid rule book!

Alison April 12, 2009

Happy Easter! I think I indulged a bit this weekend, but nothing particularly over the top. I did go on an elaborate search for Cadbury mini-eggs. I love them! But to my surprise, I can’t eat more than 5 at a time – they’re so rich that I can’t handle more than that. Unlike M&Ms, where I “need” 30 at a time.

Oh She Glows April 12, 2009

Oh my gosh I just realized this was my first easter without ANY cadbury eggs!!!!! What the heck!? I’ll have to buy some on sale! lol

Leah @ Simply Fabulous April 12, 2009

I definitely over indulged and i’m feelin’ it…i’ll need to get another run in tomorrow forsure.

Alisa - Frugal Foodie April 12, 2009

Talk about easy veggie burgers! What a great recipe idea. I haven’t heard of those bars, I will have to check them out!

Wiggs (The Beholder) April 13, 2009

I did well, all things considered. We went to Cheesecake Factory (aka Heart Attack on a Plate Factory) and I had half of a GIANT dinner salad instead of one of the 3,000 calorie pasta dishes they offer. But…then we went to see Monsters Vs. Alients (you HAVE TO SEE IT) and I caved and inhaled a box of Junior Mints. Oh well. Could have been worse. :)

Happy bunny day!

Run Sarah April 13, 2009

For Easter I tried eating some lactose-heavy foods and felt awful afterwards! I think not eating cheese & sour cream for so long really made them hit my stomach hard.

gliding calm April 13, 2009

I love black bean brownies………and burgers! Thanks so much for posting the recipe Ang! I will have to get myself to trying those ASAP!

HAPPY MONDAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

VeggieGirl April 13, 2009

HOLY HOLY YUM!!

I ate a lot of fabulous foods for Easter :-)

Niki April 13, 2009

Hi Angela
I am loving reading your blog especially the photos of the food you eat. Today I tried my first green monster and it was lovely!
Thanks for sharing so much healthy advice, I am so excited to be on this journey of good health.
Niki

Colleen April 13, 2009

I definitely overindulged at lunch (sweet potato casserole! strawberry cake!) but I made up for it by having some steamed veggies and Kashi cereal for dinner. Sounds like a weird combination, but it hit the spot! I also took a 6 mile walk and did level 1 and 2 of the Shred! I still think those sweet potatoes put me over the top though!! :) Totally worth it.

Heather April 13, 2009

Everything looks so GOOD! Thanks for the burger recipe. I’d like to try that one out!

Would you happen to have a recipe for that flax and pumpkin seed bread? It looks SO amazing!

Gotta love those LaraBars! What’s your favorite flavor?

RunToFinish April 13, 2009

thanks for the burger idea! I will be using that this week!

I made the worst smoothie this morning…oye I really think that Kale and i are just not friends. but i can’t let it go to waste it has so much good stuff it in… I’m drinking in very slowly

Marika April 13, 2009

Umm, I may have snacked just a little too much (on unhealthy stuff) on Easter Sunday, but I also got in two really good jogs over the weekend, so I still feel OK and I’m ready to start the week on a healthy foot. :-)

Meghan April 13, 2009

Unrelated to this post, but I have to tell you that my husband and I started making green monsters about 2 weeks ago, and I feel great. I can’t believe how they can keep me full for 3-4 hours- nothing usually does that. Thanks for your ongoing inspiration!