Question of the Day + #1 Visualization Trick

Good evening!

I hope everyone is having a good hump day! My day has been really productive..I have gotten a lot done with Glo Bakery this afternoon. I am in the process of researching the process of applying for a GST number and what the regulations are for it. Now that I am starting up my own business, I am really learning a lot. I never took any business courses in university so it is pretty interesting for me to learn all of this stuff ‘first hand’. It is quite overwhelming at times when I think about everything I need to do to establish the bakery and to make it a success, but I am just trying to take it one day at a time!

Question of the Day:

I was asked earlier today if I ever regret leaving my full-time job and the answer to that is no.

I am happier than I have ever been and I finally feel like I am being true to myself.

For so long, I had this inner voice inside of me that screamed ‘health’, ‘well-being’, ‘baking/cooking’, ‘connecting with people’, ‘helping others’, ‘photography’, ‘modeling’, etc.

For years I silenced those voices and did what I though was the right thing to do. If I go to grad school, I will get a good job. And so I did. But, it doesn’t matter how much money you are making or how ‘right’ your job sounds when you tell someone what you do. If you aren’t happy nothing else matters, and I think we all know that applies to every aspect of our lives. I have been super skinny before but absolutely miserable. On the outside people think you have it all, but only we can judge for ourselves if what we do brings TRUE happiness.

I have received so many emails from my readers telling me a similar ‘leap of faith’ they took with their career path. So many of you gave me the courage to pursue my dreams too and I thank all of you for that. I never ever would have thought it would be possible to do what I love doing and what I truly feel like I was meant to do. This website and my pursuit of a Healthy Bakery have finally silenced the inner voice.

So no, I don’t regret leaving a job that left me feeling unfulfilled. I don’t regret it for a second. I don’t regret taking the job either. It taught me lessons, many lessons, the most important of which was what I could be happy doing long-term. It doesn’t include 2 hour commutes, number crunching, data entry, and statistical analyses. I now know that isn’t for me. I am a creative person and I need to be stimulating my creativity in other ways, that is all there is to it.

So thanks for your question Sarah. Great question as I am sure many of you have wondered the same thing.

Exercise:

My workout today was tough but at the same time I was secretly happy about it because I kept thinking to myself…”I’m back baby!!!” lol. Slowly but surely my workouts are getting back to the intensity they were before my injury. I haven’t run yet but that too will come slowly.

Today I did my popular hill workout on the running beast!

The stats:

• Duration: 43 mins.
  • Max heart rate: 167 bpm
  • Avg heart rate: 151 bpm
  • Feel the burn: 363 kcals
  • Incline: 10-15 (with the majority of the workout being at incline 13-15!)
  • Speed: 3.6 mph

I got to watch TV while working out so the time went by pretty fast. After my workout I hit the deck for about 5 mins of some yoga poses (Triangle pose, side bend, cobra, down dog). It felt great doing some stretching in the sun to end my workout.

Oh and my abs are pretty sore from all my Wigg’s ab work yesterday so I took the day off abs! ;)

#1 Visualization Trick:

Want a quick way to beat a craving?

Visualization is one of the strongest tools to achieve success. I first learned about the power of visualization when I was a competitive fast pitcher. Visualization was everything.

As soon as you defeat yourself mentally, you defeat yourself physically.

When you are getting strong cravings for junk food, try this out:

Lay down on the floor, turn the lights out, and close your eyes. Visualize yourself eating healthy food, such a fruit and veggies. Imagine what that wholesome food tastes like….juicy, fresh, crisp, sweet. Now imagine how you feel after eating a healthy meal. You feel content, energized, and strong. You feel proud of yourself and you have an extra kick to your step.

Now visualize how you feel after eating junk food. It often leaves you feeling depleted of energy, stomach cramps, irritable, and lethargic.

Say to yourself ‘I am worthy of eating worthy foods. I deserve to nourish my body with wholesome food.’

Try it! It seriously works. :)

Pictures of the day:

Eric and I in Old Quebec City (2007):

IMG_1136

Eric and I in Banff, Calgary (2007):

IMG_2094

Tonight’s Question: Where have you lived?

Caitlin recently asked this question and I thought it was so interesting!

I have lived in the following places: Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, New Brunswick, Ontario. Yes we moved a lot growing up! I have been the ‘new girl’ at school more times that I can count. Eric on the other hand lived in the same house his whole life.

What about you?

Angela_Signature

See you tomorrow morning for some wedding workshop pictures as well as a very BLUE giveaway contest!

1 Diana March 18, 2009

I have lived in Ontario Only:
– Port Hope
– Brighton
– Peterborough
– Scarborough
– Mississauga
– Brighton again hehe.
– Ottawa
I think that is it.
Diana

2 Diana March 18, 2009

oh oops – i also lived in Bownamville and Oshawa (my least favourite) maybe that is why I forgot to include it!
Diana

3 Jessica March 18, 2009

I’ve lived in Ohio (6 yrs), Virginia (1 yr), Kentucky (19 yrs), and North Carolina (2 yrs). I feel a little disadvantaged in that I lived in KY for some many years and found moving to NC pretty hard as an adult. I think those who group moving around a lot are able to handle and transition to a new place much easier.

4 Jessica March 18, 2009

should have proof read that…some = so AND group = grew up

5 Tyler (Raspberry Runner) March 18, 2009

awesome workout!! i’ve lived in georgia my whole life…boring i know. i plan on changing that in a few months when i graduate :)

6 Steff March 18, 2009

hey Angela,

I am an avid reader of OSG, if you ever need any help with your business feel free to email me, I am in my third year of business school at Richard Ivey and would be happy to help you in any way.

7 Becca A March 18, 2009

Starting to blog last year as part of a school project helped me finally listen to that inner voice and apply to the Culinary Institute of America. I start in less than a week now for baking and pastry and can’t wait!

Born in Philly, then lived in Cincinnati until I was 3, Youngstown (Ohio) until I was 14 or so, then the Twin Cities before moving to York, PA at 22. Now I’m moving to Hyde Park, NY.

8 Red Head, Yellow Dog March 18, 2009

your philosophy of gradually getting back to exercise is very inspiring, especially since Im a runner in the process of recovering from a knee injury! I really need to learn to listen to my body more like you do

9 Em March 18, 2009

Oh gosh… I’ve lived in France (Rouen, Lyon), Switzerland (Geneva), Germany (Dusseldorf, Munich), England (London), Ireland (Dublin), Spain (Barcelona), Italy (Florence, Rome), Belgium (Brussels, Liege), Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur), USA (New York City, Upstate New York, Florida) and I reside right now in Atlanta, Georgia. For about an other month, at which point I’m taking it back on the road… I’m a nomad! 2 years in the same place is about as much as I can take.

Congrats on doing your own thing! It’s surely not easy…

10 Susan March 18, 2009

YAY for New Brunswick!! I’ve only ever lived in Riverview, Moncton and Fredericton. Someday I’ll expand out and try other places, but right now it’s really important to me to be close to my family. My sister lives in Quebec City, it’s one of my favourite places, I’m glad I have an excuse to go there all the time :)

11 Em March 18, 2009

And I wanted to say that though it seems you wear a lot of blue, the raspberry color you’re sporting in the first picture is quite becoming on you.

12 Kristine March 18, 2009

I’ve only lived in Columbus (Dublin), Ohio and the suburbs of Boston, MA! I plan to move outside of new england though in a couple of years:)

13 Meghan March 18, 2009

Thanks for that visualization tip! I have to try it!

Oh and I have lived in upstate NY and Florida. However! I am soon going to be living in Paris for one year and NYC for another! Then who knows!

14 Saima March 18, 2009

India, Kuwait, Canada (Toronto, Mississauga), US (PA–studying here) :D

15 Georgia March 18, 2009

Great question! That’s one that will get people sharing, and is always so interesting.

Texas, U.S. (20 years.. yikes)
Prague, Czech Republic (5 years)
Karamoja, Uganda (2 years)

16 TorontoGirloutWest March 18, 2009

I love those pics! The colours are awesome!!

As for me I’ve lived in:

1) San Salvador, El Salvador

2) Toronto, Canada

3) Quebec City, Quebec

4) Victoria, British Columbia

5) Creston, British Columbia

6) Cranbrook, British Columbia

7) Paris, France

17 Mimi March 18, 2009

Awesome workout! I definitely want to try it on days when I feel like working hard but not necessarily running like a lion’s after me.

And it’s so awesome you followed your dream. I wish you every fortune in your endeavor!

18 Sara March 19, 2009

I have never tried visualization, so I will definitely have to try your tip! Thanks!

I think it’s so awesome that you are following your dream of having a Healthy Bakery. I wish there was something like that near where I live!

I’ve only lived in two states my whole life: I was born in Washington, currently living in Missouri.

19 strawberry March 19, 2009

i love that visualization tip!

i’ve lived in:
modesto, california
stockton, california
irvine, california
pau, france
paris, france
madrid, spain
shanghai, china

so if you see a lot of activity from shanghai recently…it’s been lil’ ol’ me! i stumbled upon your blog and i’ve been reading your archives the past few days.

20 Leah March 19, 2009

Somehow I don’t think that visualization trick would work in my classroom when i’m trying to avoid the birthday chocolates! lol. Like yesterday!

21 Gabriela March 19, 2009

Hey angela!
We don’t know each other, but I have been reading your blog for a while, and I absolutely love it!
I think you and eric are such a cute couple, and I was wondering how you two met? I think it would be a great idea for a post, as I’m sure a lot of people wonder how it happened. In the begining I thought you were canadian too, but now I see you are actually american!
keep up the good work!

22 Anonymous March 19, 2009

you’re so inspiring and totally BEAUTIFUL, angela, inside and out :)

23 Colleen March 19, 2009

Hey Angela – what cities in FL and GA did you live in? I’ve lived in both (currently in GA), and my parents are still in FL.

24 Marika March 19, 2009

I spent most of my life living in Laurel, Maryland, but I’ve also lived in:
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Perugia, Italy
Tartu, Estonia
Brussels, Belgium (only for a month… does that count?)
and now I live in Tallinn, Estonia. :-)

25 VeggieGirl March 19, 2009

Lovely photos!!

I was born and raised in the city that I live in, in Ohio :-)

26 Meg- Live. Love. Laugh. Eat. Learn. March 19, 2009

I love old Quebec! It is so beautiful. It’s like our own mini Europe here in Canada!

I’ve lived in:

Grimsby, ON
Stoney Creek, ON
St. Catharines, ON
Hamilton, ON
and now I’m back in St. Catharines, only to head back to Hamilton in September to go back to school!!

27 Sarah W. March 19, 2009

gorgeous pics!!!

28 brandi March 19, 2009

Banff is beautiful!

I’ve lived in CHesapeake, VA and now Blacksburg, VA – that’s it :)

29 Haleigh March 19, 2009

Visualization seems like it would really help when a not-so healthy craving comes along! I have never tried it before but you can bet that I will the next time I need to!

I have lived in Tulsa, Ok my entire life until I moved to Sweden when I was 19, I then moved back to Tulsa at 21, and hopefully I will be moving to Charlotte, NC in the next few weeks!

I just love your blog Angela, it is so inspiring. Every time I read, it makes me want to lead an even more healthy life than I already do! So, thanks girl :)

30 amy (veganissexy) March 19, 2009

I love the visualization tip! I agree…..I feel incredible when I’ve eaten delicious healthy food all day. It does wonders for your mental state and energy. Thanks for the reminder :) To answer your question I’ve lived in WA state all my life :)

31 Elina March 19, 2009

Visualization is defintitely a powerful tool. I’ve never tried it with my eyes closed or the light off, but just thinking about the 2 scenarios and picturing “the future” helps :D

32 Wiggs (The Beholder) March 19, 2009

Oooo fun one! I’ve lived in: Houston, Texas; Bainbridge Island, Washington; Claremont, California; London, England; Seattle, Washington; and now Chicago. My favorite place to live was Seattle, followed closely by London.

I took the day off from abs, too. I’m still feeling sore!

33 Charlie March 20, 2009

Hi there,
Everything dynamic and very positively! :)

Thanks