What’s New In Health

Good morning!

I have a deep, dark secret to tell you all….

ist2 2609253 single red rose   Whats New In Health

I got sucked in to The Bachelor last night!

I admit, I didn’t watch any of it this season (and haven’t watched any seasons for a year or two now), but last night I saw about 2 minutes of the dramatic ‘After The Rose’ ceremony, and I knew I just HAD to see the season finale.

We have time shifting on our Satellite, so I found the season finale played again at 10pm, so I turned it on. lol. Eric and I were in the office together as he was helping me with my exciting blog announcement!

And guess what? We both got sucked into it!!!! lol. Eric too. He would never admit it, but I know it is true. ;) So we ended up watching the full season finale plus the first 30 mins of the after the rose show. Finally at 12:30 we had to go to bed!

All I can say is WOW! That Jason needs to get his head straight and figure out what he wants from life. The worst part of it is he has a kid. I really feel for his child because he has to see him go through all of this. He probably will be teased at school.

/End Bachelor talk

Who else watched? Were you surprised or do you think it was a hoax?

Oprah: What Could You Live Without

Yesterday on Oprah, they had a show on people who spend money excessively (specifically on groceries and clothing) and they were challenging families to go 1 week living without a few things that they relied on.

This one family had so much food stock piled in their pantry, they could literally have gone over a year without buying any food! She must of had about 20 boxes of cereal in her pantry or more. They were challenged to do the following for a week:

• Limit driving
  • No shopping online or in stores
  • No ordering out of going out to eat
  • No TV/Internet
  • Donate all unworn clothing or shoes

The family was not happy about this challenge at first! Quite understandable. The mother said a day didn’t go by when they didn’t buy something from a store. I am sure many people can relate to this.

The key to making this challenge a success is to not just remove the things above, but to make sure that you replace the things above with something positive. So for example, if you are limiting driving in the car, make sure you replace it with fun bike rides with your kids or calling your friend to walk to the park with you.

This got me really thinking about things in my life and what I could live without! In 2008, I got rid of all of my clothes and shoes that I didn’t wear. I was left with a very scant wardrobe…now I have a few t-shirts, a few pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of slacks, etc. I was holding onto so many clothes that I didn’t wear and I knew someone else could benefit from them.

A lady from the show said that she had a vacuum for each floor of the house + a mini handheld. This was a total of 4 vacuums. She decided to donate one and apparently the place she was donating it to would share the vacuum between 10 families.

10 families.

She was shocked and this really made her eyes open up about how lucky they are.

My question to everyone today is: What could you live without for the week? Or even just today?

Could you live without TV and the Internet? I’m not sure if I could to be honest. That would be hard, especially with running a website. Could you stop going out to eat and ordering in? We recently did this last year and it really wasn’t that hard! Could you give away unworn clothes to those in need? Could you stop ordering things online or shopping at stores? Could you leave your car at home for a week?

Read more here about simplifying your life!

What’s New In Health

In effort to have my wedding dress fit for the photoshoot, I am going to look at getting a 1 month membership at a local gym so I can use the elliptical machine. It is only $20 for a 1 month pass I believe so that would be a cost efficient way to get in some exercise. I also have some yoga on the agenda today since I didn’t get to it yesterday on my to-do list!

I will also be talking a bit this afternoon on how I plan to have my dress fit properly again by March 15th!

See you this afternoon! I hope you all have a veggie + fruit filled Tuesday. :)

“The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments, propelled by our discomfort, that we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers.”

~Scott Peck

keriandkim March 3, 2009

I could live without lattes. http://www.criticchicks.wordpress.com

Colleen March 3, 2009

I often go days without watching TV, but it would be hard for me to give up the internet. I could do it though!

We try to limit ourselves to one grocery visit a week, and we only go out to eat once every other week (and often times we just go somewhere like Arby’s or another semi-fastfood place). I wish I could give up driving for a week, but I don’t have a bike and I live too far to walk to work. Hmmm…I will have to think of something to cut out…even just a week is helpful!

Jess March 3, 2009

I am exactly like you regarding the Bachelor , haven’t watched in a few years and somehow got sucked in to watching last night. (the show is the master of dragging it out for “suspense”, did you notice that there was a whole segment before the first girl came where nothing even happened?!? just a whole segment of mushy love talk) BUT I got into it last night. HOWEVER I let myself fall asleep after he told the first girl no, and it sounds like I missed the best part. What happened????

Mara @ What's For Dinner? March 3, 2009

While I don’t think i could live without caffeine, I definitely could live without Starbucks trips!

brandi March 3, 2009

i’ve seen one of those shows before about cutting back on stuff. It’s amazing how much money goes into eating out, buying bottled water, etc, for some families!

there are always ways to cut back and simplify!

Lesley March 3, 2009

Great post!

That Oprah episode sounds very interesting … I’m sure there is a lot I could do without, and yet my husband and I are trying to get things paid off right now and so we’ve already done a pretty good job of cutting back on things. I think it’s just a continual process, though … one thing at a time : )

And, thanks, I WILL have a veggie and fruit filled Tuesday ; ) same to you!

orangepop March 3, 2009

THanks for this- great ideas! I could live verrry simply. It would be a challenge to not spend any money for a week, but maybe I’ll try it! I clean out my closet very often & donate or sell it. It’s funny- it’s not that I buy more & more clothes, but I just over-look things I think I’ll wear, but later I realize that, in reality, I won’t. I also unplug my electronics (toaster, charger, etc.) to cut down on electricity & power- it really helps, even when they’re not “on!”

sweetandnatural March 3, 2009

Ahh! I didn’t watch any of this season either, but I got sucked in last night! I watched the entire finale and After the Rose show. My roommate and I were hooked. It was embarrasing, but amazing. I thought Melissa handled the break-up conversation strongly and perfectly. I totally wanted to call her up after and ask her to be friends with me.

Andrea (Off Her Cork) March 3, 2009

Oh so many things I’m sure. :)

I’m surprised that the kale straight up didn’t work for you. I love it! It can be bitter though so I usually chop it small and let it stew for a good while before eating. Your soup looks awesome though!

Love the office! Seriously, our dream office would look like yours. All the wood built-ins look amazing. Good job!

strawberryshortstuff March 3, 2009

I could live without lots of things!
I probably don’t need to buy fresh produce twice a week but I figure since I don’t eat out EVER – unless it’s a special occassion I deserve fresh foods at home!
I could for sure go through some clothes and donate them! I have so much stuff I don’t need or wear. That is what 9 years of Retail and 50% off does to a girl – and a closet!
Diana

Julie March 3, 2009

The Bachelor was hilarious last night like he’s such an idiot haha. Those poor girls! His kid is gonna look back and be like my dad is a moron haha. Have an awesome day and watch the 2nd part of the after the final rose tonight!

kaneil March 3, 2009

What an awesome post! Man, we like way too many of the same things. I watched Oprah (on the DVR after work) and the Bachelor last night. Waaayy too much TV for me! Recently, Oprah has been making me think – I love all of her recent shows about being frugal, simple, and healthy. Perfect-o!

The bachelor was insane – one of my co-workers warned me that she read about some “conspiracy theory” and they totally predicted what was going to happen. Soooo lame! (but entertaining) I love the fact the Melissa called him a bastard on TV!!!! hahaha

Ok, and WOW Julia Luis looks incrrreeddible!!!!

I think you’re going to love the gym membership. It will be worth every little penny. :)

Kaneil, balanceisbest

RunToFinish March 3, 2009

goodness you are so tiny I can’t believe your dress wouldn’t fit.

I watched oprah too and thought it was interesting how much people have… D and I don’t really buy stuff and are often caught not buying things we might actually need because we can make something else work. I think though we could both do with a little less tv

Valerie March 3, 2009

I could probably go without buying coffee (even though it would be hard with Roll up the Rim on now.. lol). TV, most likely too. I would need the internet since I’m a student and I’m actually taking an online class this term. My two other classes also use an online course site where we have to access course material. It’s crazy how much we rely on internet at the school!
I really do need to donate some of my clothes to Goodwill or the Sally Ann. I’ve got several pairs of jeans that are much too big to wear, even around the house. I probably lots of clothing I don’t wear.

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) March 3, 2009

Good luck with the wedding dress challenge!

I could definitely do with less clothing. As regularly as I try to donate to Goodwill, there always seems to be plenty that I just don’t wear, despite my attempts to give all articles equal love. And I don’t even shop much! It is a strange phenomenon. I could try giving up TV…I don’t watch much as it is, unless you count Netflix on demand (internet)…THAT I cannot live without. :)

Christina March 3, 2009

I’ll admit The Bachelor is my guilty TV pleasure. I was so unbelievably bothered by last night’s finale though! He picked the girl I wanted him to and then broke up with her to go for the other one? I think it was completely faked for ratings. He was so concerned about having to hurt one girl and then he went ahead and made them both suffer!

Anywayss…

Right now I’m a few months away from graduating college and I think it makes it really easy to not spend money excessively. I always cook my own meals, don’t have much time to go shopping, and have the free university gym. I could probably do with 50% of my clothes. When I move out in April I plan on going through my wardrobe and donating them!

I could never give up the internet but possibly the TV for some time.

Mariposa March 3, 2009

im a closet bachelor fan!!!!!! i have to admit that i LOVE LOVE LOVE the drama.. cattiness between the women- the bachelor turning into a man-ho for the entire show!!!!

too fun!

Melissa March 3, 2009

excited for the plan.

Jaclyn March 3, 2009

I too got sucked into the Bachelor last night after not really watching it all season.. crazy ending huh?!

arubalcava March 3, 2009

Hey Angela,

Thanks for the link! I’ve never seen The Bachelor before, but maybe I’ll check it out next time it’s on.

All the Best,

Andrew R
Go Healthy Go Fit

Jen March 3, 2009

Thats insane they had that much!!! wow!!! I know families similar to that! crazy!!!!

Leah March 3, 2009

About once every few months I try to go through my clothes to see what I can give up. Steve and I did a huge clean out about 6 months ago and we gave so much away to charity. It’s amazing what even a guy can store! You should have seen what I cleaned out when I first moved in! haha!

theoddbod March 3, 2009

it’s so hard to throw away clothes though!

Marianne March 3, 2009

Obviously, it would be hard to go without the internet for any of us trying to run a website. Although, since it’s like a job, I don’t know that it would count in that sort of challenge. Heck, I can’t do any of my work at my full time job without the internet either. Plus I use it as a cost effective way of communicating with my family & friends, as they all live away from me, so I’m saving on long distance. I’m sure I spend too much time on it every day though.

As for eating out, I could go without it. As it is now, I generally go out once a week, not just to eat out, but it’s a social event with friends.

I could definitely limit my driving, as I live biking distance to work, but would have to wait for nicer weather for that one. I don’t buy something every day – in fact, most weeks I only shop once on the weekends. I’m horrible for stock piling things on sale though (one look at my cupboards and you would understand). I do have alot of clothes I should go through too.

Emily March 3, 2009

hey girl! I got my package with my hoodie today. I posted pictures on my blog. I LOVE IT and I cant wait to wear it out and represent the blog!

Hope your having a great day dear <33

Erin March 3, 2009

Interesting discussion, I don’t think I could live without the internet! Everything else would be manageable. I am working on spending less on groceries, which is difficult too. I am happy that I eat out very rarely now! I am going to put some thought into simplifying my life!

Yasmin March 3, 2009

I could probably live without TV and going out to eat.

VeggieGirl March 3, 2009

The Bachelor = ridiculous ending. Blahhh!! Haha ;-)

Lindsey (Mrs. LC) March 3, 2009

First of all, the Bachelor was ridiculous (haha, and Ross, my husband, got sucked in too!). I feel like Jason didn’t think of his son at all in the “After the Rose’ ceremony. It was just absurd. If I was Melissa I totally would have punched him in the face and walked away during a commercial break, leaving him there crying with a black eye (wow, I got worked up over it – I’m not violent, I swear!!)

Now on frugality – my middle name. :) My husband and I have often talked of canceling our cable, because most shows we watch we can always watch online afterwards (without commercials, too!). Internet – not so much, that falls in more of a “need” category for me.

Your post reminded me that I’ve been meaning to go through my closet for months, just haven’t had the time!!

Sally March 3, 2009

I have knee problems so I use the elliptical at the gym at a lot. My favorite workout is cardio intervals – I warm up for 5 minutes on level 7, then spring for 20 seconds at level 10, then recover for 40 seconds at level 7 and repeat the spring/recover cycle 8 times. Then I switch to pedaling backwards and I squat for 20 seconds/recover for 40 seconds 5 times. Then I cool down for a few minutes. It’s a great workout and only takes 20 minutes total!

Marlow March 4, 2009

My boyfriend and I both got sucked into it!! We didn’t watch ANY of the season either!!