After the Bone Scan

Good evening!

Glad you all liked my bad poem this afternoon! I was reading all of your cute comments on my Blackberry today in the waiting room. Thanks for all your support!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reader Question of the Day:

Sally asks, “Sometime I’d be interested in hearing about your decision to include processed faux-meats in your diet, as they seem to be on the only highly processed food that you eat on a regular basis.”

Most of you have probably read about my diet on this blog and you know that I don’t consume many processed foods. In my mind, the less processed, the better.

So my consumption of Tofurkey (it is a veggie meat that resembles turkey) may seem a bit confusing for someone who doesn’t like to eat processed foods. The reason I consume Tofurkey is because I sometimes find it difficult to get all the protein that I need into my diet. Much like other processed foods, Tofurkey is quick + easy and great for an on-the-go lunch. I can throw a few slices in a sandwich and boost the protein content substantially.

If anyone has any suggestions on what I could try instead of Tofurkey (that is quick, lower calorie, and doesn’t require cooking) I would be interested in hearing! It would probably save me money too if I could find an alternative because Tofurkey ain’t cheap!

Day 5 Crap Free Week

Today went well! I was very busy so it was actually a breeze. Tonight was the first night that I didn’t have an intense sugar craving after dinner! Woot woot!!

I had my cashew cookie larabar on the drive home from my bone scan. When I got home I had a wrap for dinner and spelt cereal for dessert. I’m not feeling so great so I wasn’t crazy hungry or anything. That will be all for today. It feels like it is definitely downhill from here in terms of sugar cravings.

Today’s Crap Free eats:

• Breakfast: green Monster
  • Snack: Organic apple, chickpeas (1/2 cup)
  • Lunch: Veggie + Tofurkey spelt wrap + carrot & tomatoes
  • Snack: Cashew Cookie Larabar
  • Dinner: Amy’s Veggie Burger + veggie spelt wrap, 1/2 piece whole wheat bread
  • Dessert: Spelt cereal + banana + Almond breeze

There were a couple moments when I ‘wanted‘ a piece of my pumpkin bread, but I wouldn’t say I was actually craving it.

PROGRESS!!!

Well guys, I am not feeling so hot after the bone scan. I just feel light headed and still got this headache. I think I am going to turn off the computer for the night and get some rest.

Thanks for everyone’s support today! :D

See you tomorrow morning for a homemade cooking experiment to try to make a favourite item MUCH cheaper! Any guesses??

I am also going to be creating a page just for my honeymoon filled with pictures of each city as well as a description of each place + the cruise ship. Right now I have honeymoon pictures on my Wedding page, but I figure I will just create a different page all together. I have so many more pics to add!

Check back in just under an hour for the Bone Scan video!

Marriage is when a man and woman become as one; the trouble starts when they try to decide which one.
                –author unknown

hehehe :D

foodsthatfit February 25, 2009

Have a good rest and glad the scan is done! I like that you list your crap free eats, it gives me some good ideas for similar meals and snacks!

carolinebee February 25, 2009

Hmm..could it be- bread, or veggie burgers?? I hope not Tofurkey :D that might be weird. I’m so glad to hear it went relatively well, phew!!

Anna February 25, 2009

Glad to hear the scan went well! Did you fall asleep?! haha

jenngirl February 25, 2009

Hope you feel better soon and glad the bone scan went well! :)

rhodeygirltests February 25, 2009

hummus? beans in a salad?

AGS February 25, 2009

Suggestion regarding boosting protein: try boosting the protein in bread itself. My Mom’s recipe from when I was growing up included whole wheat flour, wheat germ, soy flour, dry milk, and sometimes chopped nuts/seeds. She estimated about 8 grams of protein a serving (not bad!).

Don’t know if you are willing to try — but mackerel and sardines are terrific options for calcium, protein, etc. Mackerel is about the cheapest canned fish you can purchase. I eat them in sandwiches (though I know a lot of folks won’t eat them).

Megan February 25, 2009

I second the hummus suggestion! But, I don’t see any harm in the Tofurkey- especially since you enjoy it!
I am glad the bone scan went well and is over. But, I’m sorry to hear about your headache.
Have a great night !

theoodbod February 26, 2009

i like the canned fish idea. do you eat cheese?

Alisa - Frugal Foodie February 26, 2009

Yeah, I am not sure if you eat any fish/meat, but my father does tuna green salads … the tuna packed in oil is much better and you can use the oil to make salad dressing.

While I am not a big soy person myself, if you are doing tofurky anyway, you could always add silken tofu to one of your smoothies for a cheap way to up the protein.

I hope you are feeling 100% in the morning!

Ellen February 26, 2009

Most nutritionists agree that we eat more protein than we need. Even the average vegetarian eats more than is necessary. You’re probably already getting plenty of protein from your diet as it is, even without the Tofurkey. Even vegetables contribute protein!

Leah February 26, 2009

I hope your headache goes away girlie and you are feeling better this morning. You had quite the day!!

I love that you are listing your crap-free meals as well. So many ideas!

You are definitely making progress going sugar free!! So inspiring!

AGS February 26, 2009

Wanted to also say Thank You for the “crap free” inspiration. The last two evenings, I’ve eaten veggies and hummus as a snack instead of sweets. . . and both times I made that decision because at some point that day I had read about you avoiding sweets in the evening.

Colleen February 26, 2009

I’m at work and can’t watch the video (I don’t have sound) – how did the bone scan go? When will you know the results?

Andrea (Off Her Cork) February 26, 2009

I second beans, hummus, and canned fish. :D Also cheese and yogurt in small amounts give great protein.

*fingerscrossed* the bone scan results in some good news!

VeggieGirl February 26, 2009

Thank you for the video on the procedure!! I’m praying that the results are all good.

sarah (ghost world) February 26, 2009

glad it went okay! i’m crossing my fingers for you for a GOOD report! just fyi from your friendly pediatrics resident — you meant xanax, not zantac :) xanax = anti-anxiety, zantac = anti-reflux!

Dave February 26, 2009

I’m at work and can’t see the bone scan video. when I get home I will check it out. Did you get results? Oh well I’ll find out later.

Dave February 26, 2009

Unable to see the video here at work. I’ll check it out @ home.

Diana (soap & chocolate) February 26, 2009

Feel better!

The quote at the end of the post TOTALLY cracked me up. :D

Missy (MIssy Maintains) February 26, 2009

Hope you feel better! Glad CFW is going well! I was going to say hummus as well but I think a little processed food once a day will do no harm!

Sally February 26, 2009

I hope you’re feeling better this morning and you get good news soon!

PS I do brain imaging research and I see subjects fall asleep in the scanner all the time.