Confession Time

Good afternoon!

I don’t have too long for this post because I need to get back to scraping wall paper with the boys!

My day has flown by…Eric and I did tons of errands today. We had a huge order to pick up at Home Deport ($170 worth!) because we had to buy 2 cans of primer, drywall compound, scrapers, tape, etc etc!! Doing these renos is going to be a huge expense, but we figure the value that it will increase our house will be tenfold, so it is definitely worth it. I also picked up tons of paint samples.

Here we were the other night looking over all the Benjamin Moore paint chips:

img 5326   Confession Time

My Mother-in-law is an interior designer so we get all the latest paint samples as well as some fabulous help with design! :)

I picked up a few things from the grocery store: 2 organic kales, bunch of bananas (no ripe 50% off ones this time!), a bag of over ripe kiwi 50% off (that I am going to use in smoothies!), and a bag of Avocados.

Eric and I also saved some money (About $8-10 dollars!), by buying our Valentine’s Day cards at the Dollar Store. It is crazy how much Halmark cards cost. $5-6! We have been buying all of our cards at the Dollar Store for a year or so now and have probably saved hundreds. Just think of how many cards you tyically buy in a year. I don’t know about you, but we buy TONS. Not great for the environment, I agree. but who wants to be the cheapie that doesn’t get a card? Not me! lol.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Confession Time

I debated all day whether I would post about this or not, but I decided that I would to keep in line with the honest and open nature of my writing style.

Many of you know that I got injured while training for my half marathon on January 13th. I don’t go for a bone scan until Feb 26th (!!!), but I likely got a pelvic fracture.

It has now been about a month that I have been off exercise and I am really starting to feel the effects of being off of exercise.

Of course, it was initially very very hard going cold turkey from my exercise as I have been working out about 6-7 days a week for the past few years. It was really hard on me I will admit, but I think I have held my head up high and with all of your support I think I came out much stronger. I know I have.

However, the problem that is sort of catching up with me, is that despite not exercising and burning off extra calories, my mouth still wants a party.

See, the great thing about intense exercise (especially training for a race) is that you can eat and eat and eat and basically not gain any weight. At least that was my experience with running long distances. However, since I have had to stop running and doing any form of exercise for the time being, I have still been eating the same amount of food because it was what I was used to I guess. It is really hard going from having a sky rocket metabolism speed from exercise, and then boom nothing but sitting all day long.

The past week or so I think it has been catching up with me because my clothes are feeling tighter and I just don’t feel myself body-wise when I look in the mirror. I am trying my best to ignore it and to just remind myself that soon this injury time will pass and I will be able to workout again and feel fit, but it has been increasingly harder to do. It is one thing not to be able to workout, but it is another thing when you can’t workout and you feel like you are gaining weight.

I definitely think I have perhaps used this injury time as an excuse to sort of relax, not just with exercise, but with eating too. I have been having an extra snack here and extra nibble at night here, and it has been adding up. Given that I am very sedentary right now, it is no surprise that I feel like I have gained weight.

I was so tempted to weigh myself on my Mother in law’s scale, but I decided not to. I think what I have decided to do is to cut out the night time snacking for now. I always have struggled with night time snacking, especially in the winter time when boredom strikes from being indoors. I think if I cut out a snack at night time, I will probably find that I am back to my old self in no time.

With that being said, if I am truly hungry at night I am going to eat, don’t get me wrong. I am not going to deprive myself by any means. I just know that I have been over indulging too much lately. I think we all know when we are personally going over our caloric limit, right? I can feel it and I know that to continue to live a healthy life I need to bite this in the butt (literally?) and continue on my journey to health.

This isn’t the first time that I have had some set backs or weight gain. I tend to always gain a bit in the winter and then in the spring and summer I lose it easily. I just know that being off exercise I have to put a bit more thought into what I am putting into my mouth.

I mentioned that I have struggled with whether I would talk about this on the blog because I don’t want to send the wrong message to my readers.

I want to be very clear about a few of things:

1) I do not think I am overweight or fat or chubby or anything of the sort.

2) My only intention is to feel comfortable in my clothes again.

3) I do not deprive myself when I am truly hungry. The goal is to snack less at night and to make healthier food choices overall (e.g., maybe have a bowl of fruit instead of 3 cookies).

I hope you understand where I am coming from and you support this phase of my life right now.

I know that many of you have been here before. I received so many supportive comments and emails from readers sharing their story to me about their injury. I have re-read some of the emails when I really am feeling down about it. So thank you for that. I know I wouldn’t have gotten through this as easily as I have had it not been for all of you.

I feel better already being open and honest to you guys. I want Oh She Glows to always be 100% truthful to who I am and how I am feeling.

I promise to never hide this even though it is scary as hell to talk about this and a bit embarassing.

We are all human.

We all go through hard times.

If I can help one of you out there who is having a bad day, a bad week, or a bad month, then this slight anxiety provoking post is all the worth it to me.

Ok I need to get back to work! The boys are doing it all right now! Time to go get some ‘exercise’….unconventional exercise, perhaps, but exercise all the same!

Ciao lovies.

5star   Confession Time    Truly great friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget.

Siobhan February 12, 2009

I totally understand the way you’re feeling right now. Admitting those feelings/insecurities on a BLOG is so brave, girl!
And just like you said, when you start exercising again, you’ll definitely fall back into your “comfort zone” body-wise.

jenngirl February 12, 2009

As always, Angela, I want to thank you for being so honest. I completely understand where you are coming from, in fact I’m sure most everyone on here has felt the same way. I was put on exercise restriction for 4 months at the beginning of recovery, and even though the goal there was weight gain, it didn’t make the exercise restriction any easier. I think you have handled your situation with amazing grace thus far, and just remember, when your body is ready, you can get back out there and run to your heart’s content! You WILL make it through this time, and probably taking running out of your life for awhile is going to help you focus on some other aspects.

Hope you have a wonderful evening! :)

Sarah February 12, 2009

i don’t think “many of us” have been there; i think WE ALL HAVE many times a year! its so normal and frustrating too, but we have all been there and felt exactly what you’re feeling.
thanks for being honest and opening up! your not alone!

kaneil February 12, 2009

Another reason why everyone thinks you are great! You are so brave and your honesty is contagious. I have no doubt that you will make it through this stronger than ever. Hang in there and realize that we are all here for you, too! :)

Kaneil, balanceisbest

Hayley February 12, 2009

Oh Angela, thank you for being so honest and open with everyone. There is absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about, EVERYONE goes through it and it’s completely normal. This is just one of the reasons why your blog is insanely popular. You’re not afraid to share your feelings and tell it to us like it is.

I’ll be honest, I was refreshing your blog all day (Admittedly, I keep it open at work) and waiting for your next post. When I saw the title I was really worried something was wrong. Not to downplay what you’ve written, but I’m glad it was about your responsible choice to try to cut back on your food intake.

Also, this post could not have come at a better time. I’ve currently just eaten a cupcake, two of those ‘brownie bites’ and a small chocolate heart. I’m feeling a little nauseous, and know that I’ve definitely overdone it for the day! Whew, sorry about the drawn-out reply!

katecooks February 12, 2009

Thanks for such an honest post! I think people read these blogs and see them as a true representation of every facet of a person’s life, not realizing that often the extra bites and snacks and pounds are not mentioned. I think you’ve looked FAB in all your recent photos, HONEST, but I just think that being open about these thoughts in blogs when bloggers discuss SO much about the rest of their lives is truly important. I think people would read this post and feel better about both you and themselves because these things happen. And of course you aren’t saying you are getting fat! I myself have gained a few pounds (my winter weight I like to think) because of extra holiday and nighttime eating, and I think it’s okay to be frustrated by that. No, it’s not 20+ lbs, but when you are used to looking and feeling a certain way, even a small amount is felt. I bet you can feel just 2 or 3 extra pounds! I think you are on the right track by deciding to do something about this but not taking it overboard. I myself am attempting a similar approach by holding back in a way I didn’t over the holidays, but eating the cookies when I want them. Finding a balance is so important, because whatever you do, you don’t want to beat yourself up over this, and it’s hard not to when it’s weighing on your mind. Whew! sorry for the novel length post. Guess I should have emailed. Anyway, I totally feel you and just remember that a few extra pounds WILL be lost when you can get back to your usual lifestyle :)

cookingwithkate.wordpress.com

Maggie February 12, 2009

Thank you so much for being honest! I go through the same thing in the winter – and night time snacking is my problem too. It’s really nice to hear your story and your situation and DO NOT worry about defending yourself regarding deprivation, etc – you know when you feel your best and you deserve to feel your best!! Have a good night ;)

Colleen February 12, 2009

Thank you for your honesty! I certainly don’t think anything bad of you “cutting back,” just to reiterate what everyone else has said…we’ve ALL been there…whether it be from “holiday snacking” or a string-of-birthdays (which are the ones that always get me!). I hope your bone scan on the 28th reveals that you can slowly get back to your exercise (and stress relief!) and in time this will all be a distant memory! HUGS TO YOU! :)

Jenny February 12, 2009

This post came at a great time because I have totally been stress eating (overeating) the past couple of days and have been feeling sick because of it. I sometimes nibble (and nibble and nibble) when I am anxious about something so I can totally relate! Thanks for this!

Lesley @ Alive and Thrive February 12, 2009

I am in the SAME position right now. I had knee surgery 2 weeks ago and have been on no exercise for 2 weeks and won’t be able to exercise for at least another 4-6 weeks at all, much less get back to my normal routine for a few months. I was just thinking the other day these same things…except I’m still trying to lose weight so it’s EXTREMELY hard! Thanks so much for sharing…now I feel like I’m not alone! :)

Kath February 12, 2009

Thanks for your honesty Angela :) I think many of us can relate.

sharon February 12, 2009

Awww, Angela! I know just how you feel. It will be nine weeks Sunday since my injury. I still have pain and can’t run and know just how you are feeling. Keep your chin up- you are doing all the right things! Thank you for sharing this and I hope you feel better soon :-)

Christy February 12, 2009

Angela, You are the best. This is why you are wonderful. Your honesty, even when it hurts, is terrific and is why your blog is rapidly becoming many peoples’ favorite. Thank you so much for writing that. It’s something I can relate to. I’ve gained a few extra pounds, too, and I’ve had a few crisis moments over it the past few days. Your sensible, levelheaded approach to getting a hold on things is exactly what I needed to hear.
Keep up the good work, as always. I know you’re going to feel back to your normal, amazing self very soon.

Alisa - Frugal Foodie February 12, 2009

The identical thing happened to me. Last year I got an injury and not only had to quit my favorite sport, but couldn’t do anything over a leisurely walk for a few months … yet, my enormous appetite continued on. I did gain weight … not enough that anyone really noticed, but enough that NONE of my pants fit (yeah, just in time for winter). I am still struggling with those few extra pounds (and fitting in my pants), even though I am now exercising again, so I feel your frustration!

Erin February 12, 2009

this is so perfect to hear right now. I was on a roll with the gym everday, eating well etc.. and this week I have entirely jumped off the health bandwagon, hence less posting because I am currently at a “rest-stop” on my road to health. I don’t know why I have reached this wall and it’s different for me because I can change it physically, but mentally I’m stuck. I definitely feel for you not being able to change your circumstance, but I want you to know that it also could have something to do with your recent change in lifestyle by quitting your job. I find when I reach a comfortable and “breath of fresh air” moment in life I relax and let myself go, so to speak. Not every day is easy, and at least you have the guts to admit it. You’re my current idol!

Phew!

laughinglindsay February 12, 2009

Huge hugs girl. I know how you feel. I’ve been trying my best to make peace with 16 extra lbs on this little body. I have a HUGE appetite now that I’m not restricting and I’ve noticed myself going totally overboard, KNOWING that I’ve gone way past what I needed. It’s nothing to be embarrassed about… I have never met one person who hasn’t had a little up and down with their weight at times. No worries.
Huge Hugs.

Laura February 12, 2009

Wow, I can’t tell you enough how much I appreciate your honestly! I love your outlook on life/food/fitness and what you just said really hit home. Thank you so much for being open and honest on your blog! Whenever I had a bad day with food/exercise/personal stuff, I know I can always come to your blog and read what you write and feel so much better. thank you thank you thank you!

Jacklynn February 12, 2009

angela, i love that you are so real, your site was so modivating to me when i discovered it today that i set some goals and am super pumped for what is to come. that being said it is noce that you are real and you should not feel bad, you had a life change you can’t control that! you are doing awesome and it is exciting for me to have a sort of REAL accountability!! THANK YOU!!! keep doing it, i can’t wait to tell all my friends about your site, it is so refreshing!

emily February 12, 2009

first time commenting because this struck me as a particularly great post- it’s really refreshing to hear the imperfections of life from bloggers as well, because much of the time it seems like you are all pillars of undying moderation and models of perfect health! sharing your pitfalls as well as your great attitude makes it really easy to relate to BOTH your great outlook and your ability to be human, and it makes the blog a richer resource. thanks for your honesty, and best of luck getting back to feeling like yourself. as a side note, i COMPLETELY understand this mindset- i’m used to exercising pretty much everyday and when i can’t i feel “off balance” so that paradoxically, i often eat more.

Dave February 12, 2009

Wow,
You know why I love your blog is that you are honest in your posts. You blog about the job that you hated, you told about the financial problems you have due to no job now and now you talk about your weight and eating. I admire you very much for opening up. One way to fix these things is talking about them and planning of which both you do regularly. Very dedicated.
Before I gained my horrible weight I was @ 175 with 12% body fat. In my early to mid 20′s when my high volume of exercise and running stopped and my high volume of eating didn’t is when I started to add weight little by little year by year. It’s great that you have already recognized it and have a plan of action. I don’t think I have met a more driven person.
I can’t wait to see you get back running and exercising after you get healed. You will succeed!
Thanks for sharing!

Angela February 12, 2009

Let me just say this: All of you are honestly AMAZING…each and every one of you. I can’t believe I was even nervous about speaking out about this!!! The support you have given me is truly inspiring…my whole attitude has done a 180 since I read these comments. I feel positive and ready to get back in the game so to speak. :D

I never said the ‘road to health’ wouldn’t have potholes!!! lol

april February 12, 2009

Thank you for being honest! I was thinking about asking you if you have changed your eating habits, because too many times on my rest days I have told myself that I HAVE to eat less since I am not burning the same calories as I am on other days. Your post helped me realize that no matter if i work out that day or not, I should still fuel my body with the appropriate amount of fuel.

Sweet and Fit February 12, 2009

Angela – thanks for being so open and honest with us. I really understand where you are coming from – completely! I went from working out a few days a week to not being able to walk very well for about 6 months now. It can get kind of boring to not be able to “eat and eat and eat” – but you sure do an incredible job of making incredible meals =) I think you’ve got a great plan and I’m so happy to hear from someone that I can relate to =)

Brandi February 12, 2009

Honesty is the only thing that can get us through things like this.

THANK YOU for confessing it! It’s nice to know that you’re not alone when dealing with things like this and all the feelings you have.

You know we’re here for you :)

Hangry Pants February 12, 2009

This part was funny, “The problem that is sort of catching up with me, is that despite not exercising and burning off extra calories, my mouth still wants a party.”

I 100% understand and relate. I’ve had a sprained ankle for 1 week and am so antsy and anxious!

carolinebee February 13, 2009

I agree 1000% with everyone..your beauty and honesty literally SHINES in every post..and I, i’m sure with MANY others, look up to you a lot :D Thanks for your positive and healthy outlook. PS: Running joke in my fam- home depot= living hell!! haha they have to twist my arm, or buy me chocolate, to make me go!!

Sarah February 13, 2009

another thanks for being honest, angela! this has made me like your blog even more.

Anne P February 13, 2009

You’ll be back to yourself in no time :) I think the winter blues gets to everyone! I always start feeling fabulous again come spring, nice weather, and long walks in the sunshine! :)

Danielle February 13, 2009

Thanks for sharing! I think these self-evaluations of diet and exercise are necessary from time to time to ensure that you’re body is comfortable at the weight it wants to be and that you’re not overdoing it in either department. I think you’re handling it in the best way possible and I wish you lots of luck :) we appreciate your honesty.

Michelle February 13, 2009

Hi Angela:) I just want to you to know that I LOVE your blog!! You are extreemly motivating and fun to read. I, as well as everyone else here knows how you are feeling right now. It is one of lifes challanges and you will come out on top. “This too shall pass” :)

ttfn300 February 13, 2009

i don’t know why you should be embarrased about being human! I am going the same thing right now. Except maybe a little worse. But it is always nice to know that I’m not alone, and we’re here for each other. I’m trying to take the right steps… thank you!

Holly February 13, 2009

Thank you, Angela, for this honest post! I know sometimes I worry about what others will think when I post certain things, but everyone appreciates honesty. :-)

As others have said, I have been there and it WILL get better! I think actually what you’re experiencing is NORMAL. It shows your love for fitness. When I wasn’t able to work out people just kind of huffed about it like, so what? But when it’s a huge part of your life and you’re expected to cut it out, it really is hard.

The good news is that your bone scan is only 2 weeks away, and that should give you some more insight. I know you’ve mentioned maybe doing yoga…what about working with weights? When I’ve been injured that at least helps me to feel stronger and I know it’s safe to do, at least upper body stuff. Just a thought.

Happy Friday! :-)

Stephanie February 13, 2009

I have never posted here before but I just wanted to say, as someone who is battling back into marathon training from an injury, try to look at the forced rest as a good thing. Running, especially, is super tough on the body and this time off will allow your muscles to re-group and bones/joints to heal and you will likely come back even stronger.

Stephanie Shifrin February 13, 2009

Love your Blog. I think you’re adorable and you’re going to reach the highest heights in whatever you do. You put such positive vibes out there and I believe they will all come back to you ten fold.

Keep it up! We support you!!

xx