50 Cent Hummus

Good afternoon!

I hope you are all enjoying your Monday. :) My day has been quite productive! I started the day with a super healthy green monster smoothie. It reved me up and then I was ready to start stripping wall paper! I made quite a bit of progress…

img 5324   50 Cent Hummus

While I did this, I prepped to make some super economical hummus!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you are like me and crazy over hummus you probably also know how expensive it is to buy. The hummus that I became addicted to is a brand called Fontaine Sante Hummus. The only problem is the price tag- $4.50 for just 260 grams! I had been going through about 2 per week (I eat it everyday!). So in effort to save money, I decided that I would be making my own hummus from now on.

On the weekend, I bought all the necessary ingredients in bulk at the Bulk Barn. I bought raw chick peas & Tahini:

img 5223   50 Cent Hummus

All of that Tahini was just $3.91! I only use about 3 Tbsp of Tahini per hummus recipe so you can see how long this will last me. The bag of chickpeas were also just $2 dollars. Awesome!

Oh She Glows 50 cent Hummus

img 5320   50 Cent Hummus

Ingredients:

• 2 cups cooked chick peas
  • 3 Tbsp. tahini
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice (fresh is best)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 clove garlic, halved
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 pinch paprika (to garnish)
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley (to garnish)
  • 3-4 Tbsp water (to achieve desired consistency)
  • 2 Tbsp vinegar

Directions:

1. You can use precooked chickpeas for convenience, but to save the most money buy the peas raw and cook them yourself. Soak chickpeas overnight if cooking from raw. Bring chickpeas to a boil in a pot with about 5-6 cups of water. Boil for about 40 mins. until tender.

img 5304   50 Cent Hummus

2. In a blender or food processor, add drained chick peas, garlic, lemon juice, salt, water, tahini, oil, and vinegar and process until smooth. Place hummus in a serving dish and garnish with Parsley and sprinkle with Paprika.

Enjoy!!

Note. Everyone has different preferences for the taste of their hummus, so you may want to play around with the amount of garlic, lemon juice, tahini, salt, water, and seasonings to achieve your desired taste and consistency. You can also try adding roasted red peppers and get creative with mix ins!

Makes about 1.5-2 cups.

I did some quick number crunching and this hummus recipe costs me about .50 cents to make! That is over $4 savings compared to my favourite grocery store brand. If I continue to make my own hummus, I will be saving about $8 per week alone in hummus! Amazing!!!!!!

Oh She Glows Announcements:

- Check out my Oh She Glows Fit Gear featured on the wonderful Kelly’s EveryGymsNightmare!

- Stay tuned tonight for my first Glo bakery Product revealed

- Another fabulous afternoon powersnack

- Last chance to get those Valentine’s Day recipes in! Stay tuned for the winners and slideshow tomorrow! These recipes are going to give everyone tons of awesome ideas for Valentine’s Day!

- For a chance to win some awesome bars go enter Strawberry Shortcake’s contest! Hurry!

Often people attempt to live their lives backwards: they try to have more things, or more money, in order to do more of what they want so that they will be happier. The way it actually works is the reverse. You must first be who you really are, then, do what you need to do, in order to have what you want.
- Margaret Young

girlrunningaround February 9, 2009

Wow! Your hummus looks great!

brandi February 9, 2009

I love your house!

I can’t wait to see the entries AND your baked good :)

Maggie February 9, 2009

I always make my own – I don’t use tahini though. You can add a little bit of olive oil and it’s yummy :)

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) February 9, 2009

Yummy hummus! It’s amazing how expensive food is!

nicole February 9, 2009

cheap and tasty!

I can’t wait to see what’s up your baker’s sleeves!

Hayley February 9, 2009

Wow, what a perfect and relatively easy way to save some money! Thank you for posting the recipe and “follow-along” pictures, it really helps!

VeggieGirl February 9, 2009

FAAAABULOUS!!

Hangry Pants February 9, 2009

I love making my own hummus and other bean dips because it’s so cheap and easy and because, as you mentioned, everyone’s tastes are different so you really design your own.

Question about the tahini though – how do you store that and does it go bad?

ttfn300 February 9, 2009

hummus is definitely best made at home :) the only one i buy occasionally is sabra… so tasty! you can also create endless variations (throw in a roasted red pepper, some edemame, black beans, different spices, sun dried tomatoes…)

hangry- store it in the fridge, it lasts a loooonng time!

suzanne February 9, 2009

o.k a trip to the bulk barn is in my future! Definitely going to try that recipe :)

jenni February 9, 2009

yay for homemade hummus! i love mine with a lot of garlic, so making my own is great because i can control that.

can’t wait to see what you have in store in terms of baked products! have a lovely evening.

Anna February 9, 2009

I LOVE your inexpensive hummus recipe! I’ve only tried making hummus once, and it came out really bitter… I’ll have to try your method sometime soon.

Also, I gave you a lululemon-related shoutout in my post today! Check it out!

Kerrie February 9, 2009

I make hummus all the time and I was not all that excited about buying canned beans, even though I rinse them .. last time I overdid the garlic by mistake and always add the roasted red peppers and it was a huge hit at work .. I also left it a bit chunky this time too! Thanks for the tip!

The totally ironic thing is I just wrote down the ingredients to make some more this morning after I found out I have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes .. and then I visited your site!! Unbelieveable .. you must have been telepathic today! Keep up the good work!

emily February 9, 2009

I love homemade hummus! I am looking forward to the contest announcement tomorrow :)

TorontoGirloutWest February 9, 2009

Boo! I got held up in court and got home too late to enter the contest. I can’t wait to see what people came up with though! :)

Lindsey (Mrs. LC) February 9, 2009

I hope you got my email earlier, and that I wasn’t too late to enter the contest!! I created it JUST for this contest. :)

BTW, I’ve been coming back to your blog a lot lately, I’m going to add you to my blogroll right now. :)

Have a great night!!!

The Almost City Girl February 9, 2009

Your house has so much potential, its going to look amazing when ya’ll are done!

Ooo I have to try that hummus recipe. I can’t believe how cheap it was to make.

And I’m totally intrigued by the idea of the online bakery! Can’t wait to here more about it.

Donna August 18, 2009

Angela – I made your hummus tonight and it was delish – I will be making it often!

My oldest is a vegan and I much prefer he eat fresh food – I love your blog! Thanks for all the recipes and ideas!

Holly September 15, 2009

Hi Angela- I’m hoping to make a batch of your hummus tonight or tomorrow and was wondering about when you measured the 2 cupes of chickpeas- before or after they were boiled?

Thanks!

Tracy in PA February 23, 2010

Never thought of adding vinegar…. I LOVE vinegar :)
thanks for the great idea!!!!! peace and love tracy

Amy @ForDGRedial August 3, 2010

I know you are an awesome cook, I am not. But thought I would just share with you this tip I foudn a while back, cumin in hummus is gorgeous!!!

x

Maddie August 9, 2010

Angela, I’ve made your hummus recipe twice now and love it! It’s so thick and creamy, yum!
I’ve been reading your blog the last couple of weeks and just want to thank you for all of the great recipes. Every dish I have made so far has been great!