As promised I am going to do a quick re-cap of Sunday night’s Dinner Party Menu:
My Aunt’s Spinach Dip
I have been using my Aunt’s recipe for years. It is fabulous:
- 1 cup and 1/3 cup frozen, thawed, chopped, and drained spinach (or one 10 oz. package frozen spinach)
- 1 Cup Mayonaise
- 1 Cup sour cream
- 3 Green onions chopped
- 1 Package of dry vegetable Soup Mix
Directions: Mix everything together and chill for 2 hours! Serve with Pumpernickle bread and/or veggies.
How I would make this recipe healthier:
- Use low-fat mayo and sour cream
- Use a reduced sodium vegetable soup mix
I didn’t put cheese on my half since I don’t eat dairy much anymore:
This pasta was really good, even without ANY cheese!
How I would make this recipe healthier next time:
- Use whole wheat or Spelt pasta
- Reduce the Olive Oil to 1/8th cup (1/4 c. was unnecessary)
- Reduce or eliminate cheese
- Double the spinach (I loved the spinach in this recipe and found myself wishing there was more of it!)
Ok, I admit I really messed up this recipe! Since I was in a rush, I just threw all the ingredients into my KitchenAid Mixer with the dough blade on and mixed. Do not do this! As we all know with making bread, it requires a careful attention to the order of ingredients and the mixing. Instead of fluffy rolls, I got dense biscuits. It was nothing a little butter couldn’t fit though. :) I guess it could have been worse for my first (rushed) attempt at making rolls! Next!
I used Yellow Tail Shiraz and marinated it in the fridge overnight.
Instead of cooking it for 45 mins in the oven, I slow cooked it in my slow cooker for 6 hours on low. It has a wonderful Shiraz flavour infused taste. I used green onions instead of a regular onion and it was a nice touch. I also skipped the celery (didn’t have any) and I used frozen thawed garlic instead of garlic powder.
And last but certainly not least, the Show Stopper:
This cake was a show stopper for sure. I heard ‘Martha Stewart’ uttered several times. :) I used about 1/2 cup of raisins, but I would double that next time. I also used about 3/4 cup walnuts in the cake and sprinkled the top with more.
How I would try to make this cake healthier:
- Reduce the sugar from 2 cups to 1-1.5 cups??
- Recude oil to 1/2 to 3/4 cup, substitute with either applesauce and/or pumpkin??
- Reduce the eggs from 4 to 3??
Next time I am going to experiment with this recipe a bit to see if I can make it healthier while still tasting amazing.
Although, maybe it is better left untouched. It is sheer delight.
“Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.”