Homemade Larabar Science Experiment

Evening to all!

Hope everyone is having a good hump-day. I tell you, after my day today, I am really looking forward to the weekend! Eric tells me that the treadmill is officially delivered, set-up, and working! It took all of my might not to flee from my desk at work and motor home to my new super running beast! lol. My MIL is going to give it a test run before I am home.

I am planning on using it tonight- despite feeling quite draggy after a bad day at work- I am sure the excitement of a new running beast will get my adrenaline pumping!

Yes I have named my new treadmill the running beast.

But, alas, you will have to wait in anticipation just like me until it is unveiled in tonight’s post! I almost feel like I should be cutting a red ribbon with huge scissors or something. :D

When I did my review yesterday for Mary’s Organic Crackers, I forgot to post an actual picture of the cracker! Oops. Sorry about that. I’m sure you’d all like to see the product rather than the cardboard box! So here it is in all it’s glory:

img 2054   Homemade Larabar Science Experiment

As you can probably guess, it is a very crisp and hearty cracker perfect for dipping in salsa, hummus, guacomole, or almond butter! Yum!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I saw on Fitsugar’s website that there are 4 new Larabar flavours out:

8d4bf5b53024bd47 larabar xxlarge   Homemade Larabar Science Experiment

From left to right:

• Peanut Butter Cookie (!!!)
  • Coconut Cream Pie
  • Chocolate Cherry
  • Chocolate Hazelnut

Sounds delicious!

As I was examining the few ingredients in each different kind of larabar, it got me thinking.

I wonder if I could MAKE them.

Stop laughing.

Really.

Let’s face it- Larabars aren’t cheap to buy (and probably aren’t cheap to make either!)- but I was thinking it would be a fun experiment to try!

We were given a beautiful blender for a wedding gift that I am dying to use. What better way to break it in then trying a Homemade Larabar science experiment? :D

Let’s see. I currently have dates, almonds, apples, raisins, and cinnamon at home right now just waiting to be used for a grande experiment such as this. All I would need is walnuts to try to replicate the Apple Pie bar.

But maybe I should start small. Like with the Larabar’s that only have two or three ingredients.

Like Banana Bread.

Is your mouth watering? Mine is.

The Banana Bread Larabar has three ingredients (all of which I have at home):

• Almonds
  • Dates
  • Unsweetened Bananas

Clue #1: We know that the ingredient list on any food package is listed in order of predominance, with the ingredient in the greatest amount first.

This means that I will use more almonds, than dates and bananas, and more dates than bananas. Hmm.

I wonder: Do they use old, black, ripe bananas for extra flavour?

I happen to have a freezer full of them. Oh yes, they have ripened for many a moon. They would be nothing short of spectacular in my Homemade Larabar Science Experiment.

So it’s settled. Tomorrow night (you honestly didn’t think I would do it tonight when I have a running beast waiting for me, did you?) I will have attempt #1 at creating a homemade Larabar. I hope my shiny, new blender is up for this challenge because I am quaking in my boots.

This is why I get up in the morning.

So dear readers, I will thank you once again for your insightful and uplifting comments about this blog! The feedback that you have given me has given me so much inspiration to make this blog even better. The blog is getting over 2,000 hits a day since it’s short birthdate of Halloween 2008. I am thinking a poll is in order (we all are curious about who is on the other side of the Computer right?):

And let me just say once again. There is nothing that makes me happier than a ‘lurker‘ coming out of hiding! :D If there are any of you out there (and I suspect there are), go on leave me a comment and tell me what you think! I read each and everyone of your comments!

Stay tuned.

The beast is coming.

What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
Vincent van Gogh

Ryan December 3, 2008

I honestly can’t remember if I’ve commented on your blog before but I’ve been reading it for a few days now :) I started my new blog a couple weeks ago, so I’m getting into the swing of things!

It will be so nice for you to have a treadmill in your home! Especially for when it’s wayyy to cold outside to run. And I cannot WAIT to hear how your Larabar experiment turns out. I would love to make them vs. buy them. Good luck!

girlrunningaround December 3, 2008

I can’t wait to see the running beast! Yay!

And I’m very intrigued to see your little experiment. :)

Halie December 3, 2008

Can’t wait to see the beast! And I REALLY can’t wait to see the results of your Larabar experiment!!! I have a recipe for homemade larabars but I haven’t gotten the guts enough to try!

Don’t let your fingers get too cold from the frozen bananas!! I recall many times having achingly cold fingers while peeling a frozen banana for a smoothie :P

Krista December 3, 2008

Can’t wait to see the “beast”! I’ll soon be in the market for a new treadmill myself!

I never thought of trying to make a Lara Bar! I’ll be tuning in tomorrow to see how the experiment turns out!

PS….I’m loving your blog!

bikergurl December 3, 2008

Yay homemade larabars! I did this once, although I don’t know about doing it in a blender. I used an old food processor and ran into two problems:

1) I felt there was not enough power to grind nuts (like I said, it was an old food processor) so I didn’t push it and left my bars a TINY bit sticky

2) They were WAY too yummy! I ate them all within 2 days (oops!)

and as #3 I should add that my “other half” is allergic to nuts, so this won’t be happening again now that he’s around :(

Good luck! I hope you have more self control than I do!

limberkimbers December 3, 2008

De-lurking to say hey! Congrats on the Running Beast! I still feel as though purchasing my treadmill was one of the best purchases I ever made.. right after the house and car or course!

LT December 3, 2008

I’ve commented before but I must say I reeallly enjoy your blog! I like how conversational you are and that I never know what to expect to hear from you! Oh and I’m Lauren from Austin, Texas.

VeggieGirl December 3, 2008

I hear ya – bring on the weekend already!!

LARABARS!!!!!!!!!! Holy yum; my daily eat :-)

ttfn300 December 3, 2008

can’t wait for those larabars!!!

Andrea December 3, 2008

LOVE your blog! i lurk a lot but comment sometimes too. good luck with your larabar experiment. i think i’ve seen someone on a different blog make them and they turned out awesome!!

Lindsey December 3, 2008

Great minds must think alike. :) I was also thinking about making my own type of larabar today!

Maggie December 3, 2008

Can’t wait for the larabars!

Rachel December 3, 2008

I just found your blog a couple days ago, and I am loving it! You are so cheerful! I’ve tried the peanut butter cookie larabar, and it is pretty good. Good luck with the experiment…can’t wait to see the results!

Christa December 3, 2008

I’ve been reading your blog for about two months now and I’m addicted, not in a scary stalker way, but I do check it a couple times a day- even while I’m in class. (and I’m in law school, so it’s never good to not pay attention but its worth it!) So, thank you for your tips, your inspiration, your humor, and some entertaining study breaks!

Good luck with the larabar experiment!

Mariposa December 3, 2008

Angela

OMG if you made LaraBars I would def. ask you to send some my way!!!! lol they do look pretty easy to make, i wonder though if you need a dehydrator? because they are raw.. or maybe you could bake them.. and make them a cooked larabar!!! yummmmy!

have fun on the treadmill!

Kristie December 3, 2008

I’ve made homemade Larabars before. SO much fun. The combos are endless. I actually have two sitting neatly wrapped in my fridge right now – standard peanut butter and strawberry. I also made a papaya one. As I said, ENDLESS combos. Have fun with them! And with The BEAST haha.

AGS December 3, 2008

Best of luck to you with recreating LaraBars. I have tried several energy/protein bar recipes, modifying and experimenting with each one. The trick is to use all natural ingredients and keep added sugars out. I haven’t found the “perfect” recipe yet, but my next one will be with almond butter (instead of PB). Look forward to hearing how your “experiment” turns out!

Kristin December 3, 2008

You say so many things that I want to comment on that I end up not commenting too much because there is just so much! You know in a good way… so I’ll tell you again how much I love your blog! By the way I like benefits bad gal lash mascara.

Fit Bottomed Girls December 3, 2008

OMG, I can’t wait until you try to make them. If you succeed you’ll put Larabar out of business. Okay, most people probably will be too lazy to make them, but you might dent Larabar! :)

I’ve had the first two flavors and LOVED them.

sweetandnatural December 3, 2008

Congrats on the blog success!

Sanja December 4, 2008

Here is a blogpost about homemade larabars (but still haven’t tried it myself unfortunately):

Good luck with your quest!

Katie December 4, 2008

Total lurker!! I love trying to replicate things at home, its so much fun!!

Krysten October 28, 2009

-I don’t know if this helps the price of them much to you, but it is something!
at whole foods, where I work…. in the U.S. anyway, I should hope it’d be the same way at Whole foods there, every case of something you get, that is the same flavor, you get 10 % off of it.

Just thought I’d let you know :)

sincerely,
your friendly whole foods worker,
krysten